Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21651
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 511
x 799

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm

i really liked disclosure as a teenager
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71223
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6323
x 8319

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i really liked disclosure as a teenager


Well, sure, everyone was flocking to theaters to check out the latest Dennis Miller cyberthriller. There's literally no other reason anyone would have wanted to see that movie.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54501
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 311
x 4192

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:58 am

The headline is sensationalized, but a good reminder to never ever trust a pitcher.

0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20555
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1393
x 1842

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby davell » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:07 am

Holy crap, if we had gotten him, we'd be losing our minds right now.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5674
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm
x 2
x 63

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:09 am

davell wrote:Holy crap, if we had gotten him, we'd be losing our minds right now.


I seriously would have been in the corner in fetal position clutching a bottle of whatever was close
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17481
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2168
x 2151

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:11 am

I wonder if part of the Angels pitch/reason he picked them was them being on the forefront of the PRP shot treatment since I think Richards was the first MLB pitcher to get that.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
treebird
chinese food
Posts: 20419
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:25 am
x 1672
x 914

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby treebird » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:23 am

I’ve seen a bunch of people on Twitter (including Brett) saying “ohhh, this explains why he was in such a rush to come over.”

Is there a reasonable way to connect the dots there that I’m missing? Even if he somehow thought he had one pitch left before his elbow snaps, wouldn’t that just make it easier to wait until he hit free agency in a couple years? He’d still blow that 2 million dollar bonus out of the water. Is there some incredible gap in elbow/tjs treatment/recovery between the two countries?
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 43858
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 62
x 1596
Contact:

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:26 am

treebird wrote:I’ve seen a bunch of people on Twitter (including Brett) saying “ohhh, this explains why he was in such a rush to come over.”

Is there a reasonable way to connect the dots there that I’m missing? Even if he somehow thought he had one pitch left before his elbow snaps, wouldn’t that just make it easier to wait until he hit free agency in a couple years? He’d still blow that 2 million dollar bonus out of the water. Is there some incredible gap in elbow/tjs treatment/recovery between the two countries?

He would have made a crapton more money to get his tjs done, miss 2018, pitch to capability in 2019 in Japan and come over at pretty much the same $200M pitcher after that. In those two years, he would have made millions in Japan in addition to the bigger salary when coming over the US.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56783
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1627
x 5380

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 am

treebird wrote:I’ve seen a bunch of people on Twitter (including Brett) saying “ohhh, this explains why he was in such a rush to come over.”

Is there a reasonable way to connect the dots there that I’m missing? Even if he somehow thought he had one pitch left before his elbow snaps, wouldn’t that just make it easier to wait until he hit free agency in a couple years? He’d still blow that 2 million dollar bonus out of the water. Is there some incredible gap in elbow/tjs treatment/recovery between the two countries?

Are American teams more prepared to bring a guy back from such a surgery?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36326
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 852
x 1104

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:The headline is sensationalized, but a good reminder to never ever trust a pitcher.



Just throw an Angels hat on this guy

Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17481
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2168
x 2151

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:22 am

horsefeathers pitchers, man

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 797
x 495

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:51 am

Bring the horsefeathering DH to the NL.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71223
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6323
x 8319

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:41 pm

This is gonna be doubly annoying when he inevitably turns out just to be, at best, Yet Another Dude at the plate.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4492
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 188
x 281

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I wonder if part of the Angels pitch/reason he picked them was them being on the forefront of the PRP shot treatment since I think Richards was the first MLB pitcher to get that.


Unless this is different I’m very sure multiple ML pitchers have done it. CJ Nitkowski was writing about his treatments like a decade ago, the MLB tried to go after Bartolo Colon when he first came back from his treatments but dropped it, pretty sure the Yankees went this route with Tanaka...I used to know more names, oh well.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73347
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2003
x 2869
Contact:

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Well this is a kick in the nuts:

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/1 ... ei-ohtani/

Peter Gammons reports that “[p]eople close to Shohei Ohtani privately said that Epstein’s presentation was far and away the most compelling, and it impressed Ohtani.” So why didn’t he choose the Cubs in that case? Well, according to Gammons, “Ohtani also realized that with his elbow ailment—a Grade 1 sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm—playing the outfield, swinging a bat every day and pitching had risks.” So, Ohtani ultimately decided he was better off with a team where he could DH instead of appearing in the outfield … and that was that.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 15145
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: da Salish Sea
x 279
x 342

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:50 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Well this is a kick in the nuts:

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/1 ... ei-ohtani/

Peter Gammons reports that “[p]eople close to Shohei Ohtani privately said that Epstein’s presentation was far and away the most compelling, and it impressed Ohtani.” So why didn’t he choose the Cubs in that case? Well, according to Gammons, “Ohtani also realized that with his elbow ailment—a Grade 1 sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm—playing the outfield, swinging a bat every day and pitching had risks.” So, Ohtani ultimately decided he was better off with a team where he could DH instead of appearing in the outfield … and that was that.



If you havent been a fan of the dl in the nl, i blame you
6 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7882
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:13 pm
Location: The River
x 5
x 52

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby sweetpeteman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Well this is a kick in the nuts:

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/1 ... ei-ohtani/

Peter Gammons reports that “[p]eople close to Shohei Ohtani privately said that Epstein’s presentation was far and away the most compelling, and it impressed Ohtani.” So why didn’t he choose the Cubs in that case? Well, according to Gammons, “Ohtani also realized that with his elbow ailment—a Grade 1 sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm—playing the outfield, swinging a bat every day and pitching had risks.” So, Ohtani ultimately decided he was better off with a team where he could DH instead of appearing in the outfield … and that was that.



If you havent been a fan of the dl in the nl, i blame you


The Dodgers are definitely fans of the dl in the nl.
6 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56783
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1627
x 5380

Re: Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:18 pm

sweetpeteman wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Well this is a kick in the nuts:

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/1 ... ei-ohtani/




If you havent been a fan of the dl in the nl, i blame you


The Dodgers are definitely fans of the dl in the nl.

Image
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gilby and 3 guests