Shohei Ohtani Signs with the Angels

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: ITT: Raisin & Tom/King Kong Obsess Over Shohei Otani

Postby David » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:40 pm

Derwood wrote:
mul21 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought we were all [expletive] pitchers these days.

Well, yeah, but this guy is also a dongsmith so we're on board right?

So he's Matt Bush?

what the hell
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 pm

mul21 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought we were all [expletive] pitchers these days.

If he can accept that The Scout isn't a documentary and is content to be, say, Zambrano+ in terms of hitting while focusing on being an amazing starting pitcher, sure.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 pm

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:
mul21 wrote:

So he's Matt Bush?

what the hell

I was joking. Bush hit .450 with 11 HR and 35 RBI while also going 5-1 with a 0.73 ERA in his senior year of high school
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:
Derwood wrote:
So he's Matt Bush?

what the hell

I was joking. Bush hit .450 with 11 HR and 35 RBI while also going 5-1 with a 0.73 ERA in his senior year of high school

lol david. can't believe you didn't think about his HS stats. it was only a dozen years ago.
8 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:35 pm

lol
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Matt Bush: The only player ever to both pitch and hit well in high school.
13 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Matt Bush: The only player ever to both pitch and hit well in high school.

still laughing
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:40 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Matt Bush: The only player ever to both pitch and hit well in high school.

Mainly this was my thing. Not to mention that Matt Bush is notorious for other things, like almost killing someone, which makes him an odd guy to bring up.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:56 pm

David wrote:

Mainly this was my thing. Not to mention that Matt Bush is notorious for other things, like almost killing someone, which makes him an odd guy to bring up.

Yeah, I think all references to O.J. Simpson as a football player were put on hold once he decided to murder people. There are plenty of other running backs you can compare people to, without having to preface your statement with: "except for the murdering."
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 pm

David wrote:

I only brought him up because he was the first guy I thought of where his future position wasn't known when he was drafted. He could've been drafted as either a pitcher or a hitter. And we had him in a sim league and despite giving him gaudy ratings, he basically sucked like in real life
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:40 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:

I only brought him up because he was the first guy I thought of where his future position wasn't known when he was drafted. He could've been drafted as either a pitcher or a hitter. And we had him in a sim league and despite giving him gaudy ratings, he basically sucked like in real life

His sim version did not kill anyone tho, so he had that going for him
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
Derwood wrote:
David wrote:Mainly this was my thing. Not to mention that Matt Bush is notorious for other things, like almost killing someone, which makes him an odd guy to bring up.

His sim version did not kill anyone tho, so he had that going for him

And he didn't die mid season like a few if them did
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:48 pm

One supposedly went 500 ft
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:42 am

seriously is he a hitter or a pitcher or both when he comes over?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:02 am

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:seriously is he a hitter or a pitcher or both when he comes over?

Pitcher, then when his arm dies let him make the transition to a hitter
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:29 am

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:seriously is he a hitter or a pitcher or both when he comes over?

Longenhagen(FG prospects guy) doesn't see him as a top 100 prospect, if looked at as a hitter only.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-legend ... 30360.html

Japanese ace Shohei Otani has already given Major League Baseball teams plenty of reasons to drool over him, but he added another Tuesday: Otani, a 22-year-old pitcher for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, threw the fastest pitch ever recorded in the history of Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball organization.

Otani hit 164 kph, which translates to 101.9 mph, breaking his own mark of 163 kph, set earlier this season. Interestingly enough, the fastest pitch ever in Japanese pro baseball was knocked into the outfield for a two-run single.

Don’t let that ruin the Otani hype train, though. Get ready to hear his name a lot, since he figures to one of the next big Japanese stars that MLB teams will be courting. He struck out nine in five innings Tuesday, giving him 142 K’s this season in 118 innings. In one start this season, he threw 31 pitches that were 99 mph or faster.

All this is enough to earn Otani the title of the most intriguing pitching prospect in the world, according to some. But there’s one more particularly fascinating wrinkle in Otani’s story, and it might even be better than the 102 mph fastball.

Otani is also one of the best hitters in Japanese baseball. He’s the winner of this year’s NPB Home Run Derby, he ranks seventh in the league in homers and he’s his team’s go-to DH. He also leads the NPB in OPS at 1.036, which is higher than even the MLB leader, Davis Ortiz at 1.034. Everybody knew Otani was a good pitcher, but he’s having a breakout season at the plate too, improving his slash from .202/.252/.376 in 2015 to .326/.425/.611 this season.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Dave Dreiftas at 20-80 Baseball theorizes Otani's best fit would be the Cubs because of Maddon's love for versatility: http://2080baseball.com/2016/09/ohtani- ... ll-listen/

In fact, the Cubs could be the best fit for Ohtani to do both, and much of that has to do with manager Joe Maddon, and his ability to manage just about any scenario. The clubhouse culture that team president Theo Epstein and Maddon have created is a great fit for almost any player, plus Ohtani would come in surrounded by a lot of other young, high-end talent and not bear the weight of being the face of the franchise. On top of that, both Epstein and Maddon have experience with Asian players making the transition to the U.S.— with Maddon getting the absolute best out of second baseman Aki Iwamura during his years in Tampa, and Epstein maneuvering his way through the up and downs of Matsuzaka’s tenure in Boston from 2007-12. Yes, that would mean Ohtani won’t be taking advantage of the DH option in the A.L., but if anyone can figure out how to keep him productive on the mound, at the dish, and in the field it’s Joe Maddon.
1 x

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm not gonna pretend to know a lot about the guy, but I have to believe there's gonna be multiple AL teams willing to promise him DH AB's vs righties. I can't imagine Maddon would be allowed to play him in the outfield.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:09 pm

Gilby wrote:
I'm not gonna pretend to know a lot about the guy, but I have to believe there's gonna be multiple AL teams willing to promise him DH AB's vs righties. I can't imagine Maddon would be allowed to play him in the outfield.

Of course Maddon will be allowed to use him in the outfield. Why wouldn't he be? He's used Travis Wood in the outfield (albeit in an extra inning game) and Maddon likes having versatile players.

If the money is about the same and the decisive factor is seeing some time as position player in-between starts, well, I'm okay with letting Otani get some starts in LF/RF. Obviously, some PH opportunities as well. I don't know exactly how well his bat will translate at the MLB level, but he has some amazing bat speed. The hitting is all secondary though, like an added bonus. It's the ability to dominate as a SP that makes him special.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:15 pm

JIC you forgot he's a pitcher first:

0 x

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:23 am

Regular Show wrote:
Gilby wrote:

Of course Maddon will be allowed to use him in the outfield. Why wouldn't he be? He's used Travis Wood in the outfield (albeit in an extra inning game) and Maddon likes having versatile players.

Ehh, using your LOOGY on a one year deal in the outfield is way different than one of your best starting pitchers whom you just committed over $200 million to.

I just don't think we'd promise him anymore AB's other than pinch hitting and the few AB's he gets on the days he pitches. Just feels like an AL team would be better suited for a situation like this if he demands to be a hitter too, but what do I know.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:37 am

Gilby wrote[/font]:
Ehh, using your LOOGY on a one year deal in the outfield is way different than one of your best starting pitchers whom you just committed over $200 million to.

I just don't think we'd promise him anymore AB's other than pinch hitting and the few AB's he gets on the days he pitches. Just feels like an AL team would be better suited for a situation like this if he demands to be a hitter too, but what do I know.

I get that some AL teams would be able to use him as a DH, but then again some AL teams have prominent DHs like D. Ortiz for Boston. You wouldn't want to guarantee ABs at DH for a pitcher (kinda insulting) when you have better, experienced hitters on your roster. Now, if he ends hitting really well then I'm sure everyone would be okay with playing him at DH.

Another problem with allowing him to hit on days he pitches in the AL is that you lose the right to have a DH on those days. Same thing happened when B. Bochy allowed M. Bumgarner to hit for himself in an interleague game. That puts you at a disadvantage in the later innings (and maybe even in the early-mid innings) when you pull your starting pitcher.

It'll be fascinating either way. I'm excited to see what he could do over here and hope he can be a successful two-way player unlike anything we've ever seen before...as a Cubs player of course :beg:
1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Gilby wrote:

If the money is about the same and the decisive factor is seeing some time as position player in-between starts, well, I'm okay with letting Otani get some starts in LF/RF. Obviously, some PH opportunities as well. I don't know exactly how well his bat will translate at the MLB level, but he has some amazing bat speed. The hitting is all secondary though, like an added bonus. It's the ability to dominate as a SP that makes him special.

The Cubs are not going to invest multiple millions of dollars on a pitcher and let him massage his ego by playing him in the outfield on non-pitching days. He will likely be used in a handful pinch hitting duties like other pitchers who can hit. But really, no team is going to let him play a position regularly on non-pitching days.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Yeah, I thought RS was kidding around; no team that's going to be able to invest the money it's going to take to sign him is going to risk that by letting him play the OF and hit regularly. Hell, they wouldn't even use as much as you've seen guys like Wood or Marquis pinch-run or hit or even rarely play the field.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Transactions”