bobby valentine lol

LOL
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Cubs are a Finalist for Shohei Ohtani

Postby David » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 am

what kind of bizarro world would we be in if the one reporter who has any idea wtf is going on is jim horsefeathering bowden
4 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:23 am

David wrote:
treebird wrote:even if he doesn’t really care about money, it never especially made sense that he’d take ten percent of what he could get elsewhere today. these trades feel like the final confirmation that we never had a shot.

it's a one time signing bonus. a difference of 2.7 M or whatever can easily be recuped/washed out in endorsements, even in baseball.

you really think he's going to base his decision on 2.7M when he's passing up 100+M just bc he can't wait? not to mention the fact that he included all those teams in the penalty and eliminated teams that had big pools (when he didn't need to eliminate anyone)

Yeah it would be weird for money to all of the sudden matter given where we are and what little we know, especially such a nominal amount in the big picture here. Also unless it was absolutely made clear to us/teams in the meeting or going in to it that money literally means nothing to this weirdo I’d find it hard to believe part of our pitch didn’t include how we could help make him millions in non-baseball related salaries in order to make up for the pittance we can give him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:27 am

David wrote:what kind of bizarro world would we be in if the one reporter who has any idea wtf is going on is jim horsefeathering bowden

Yeah, lol. I was going to say earlier today but forgot that it does seem like Passan probably has the most inside info on this (which is still limited) or at the very least seems to have the inside source for when things break.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:29 am

David wrote:what kind of bizarro world would we be in if the one reporter who has any idea wtf is going on is jim horsefeathering bowden

6 days ago he was calling anyone that didn’t think he was going to the Yankees moronic. He knows nothing.
8 x

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:39 am

If respect is as big of a deal to Ohtani as has been alleged then I dont understand why he would lead teams on that he had no interest in signing with (i.e. the ones with less money). Same thing goes for these Mariners and Angels deals. If there were really only 2 teams he was deciding between right now, I cant see him horsefeathering around with them and having 1 trade prospects to get more money that he wont then take from them.

I still hope he is genuine and money isnt a factor to him. And those trades were made by teams who figured it would increase their shot at him but did so without indication that they were one of 2 "finalists"
0 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
David wrote:

That’s why I don’t think he gives a damn about the one time bonus. Sure it’s nice, but long term it’s a small percentage of his overall pay. He can come in and be the highest endorsed player in MLB on opening day if his agent does a good job. Those endorsements are probably worth more on the Cubs or Dodgers and multi year.
3 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:23 am

Anybody have a subscription to give the tidbits?

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 am

If I were in his shoes knowing the long term endorsement and salary potential, and putting a premium on having a fun career (personal success + team success) I’d have to think the order would be:
Cubs
Dodgers
Mariners
Giants
Angels
Rangers
Padres

The only reason I put the Cubs ahead of the Dodgers is Joe Maddon. I think he is the perfect manager to handle this type of player. Also, as has been mentioned before, the Cubs are clearly in the business of getting the regular season innings down on their starting rotation. This is going to be important for at least the first few years of his career.
1 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 am

David wrote:
treebird wrote:even if he doesn’t really care about money, it never especially made sense that he’d take ten percent of what he could get elsewhere today. these trades feel like the final confirmation that we never had a shot.

it's a one time signing bonus. a difference of 2.7 M or whatever can easily be recuped/washed out in endorsements, even in baseball.

you really think he's going to base his decision on 2.7M when he's passing up 100+M just bc he can't wait? not to mention the fact that he included all those teams in the penalty and eliminated teams that had big pools (when he didn't need to eliminate anyone)

either way, what an odd choice in teams if bowden actually knows anything:

Yeah, if $1 million meant that much, then he wouldn't be coming over now and he certainly wouldn't have included us in his final list.

These teams are desperate. They are going to do whatever they possibly can to try to get him. And they are going to come up short.
2 x

CP_414
All-Star

Postby CP_414 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Anybody have a subscription to give the tidbits?

It's nothing. Just speculation that maybe he has known from the beginning who he will sign with and that because he crammed 7 meetings into two days this process might be for show. There are no real quotes, just a one word quote from an executive involved wondering if his team is being "played."
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:30 am

CP_414 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Anybody have a subscription to give the tidbits?

It's nothing. Just speculation that maybe he has known from the beginning who he will sign with and that because he crammed 7 meetings into two days this process might be for show. There are no real quotes, just a one word quote from an executive involved wondering if his team is being "played."

That's a dumb article. Ohtani has got nothing to gain by pretending to have interest in some of these teams -- he can't start a bidding war. Maybe he has a favorite club in mind, but I don't think he's being disingenuous with these clubs. I think he has genuine interest in the final 7 teams, and wants to see how he'll fit in each clubhouse.

He's definitely a baseball savant who is "wired" differently from every other player and I think some clubs aren't used to it.
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:If I were in his shoes knowing the long term endorsement and salary potential, and putting a premium on having a fun career (personal success + team success) I’d have to think the order would be:
Cubs
Dodgers
Mariners
Giants
Angels
Rangers
Padres

The only reason I put the Cubs ahead of the Dodgers is Joe Maddon. I think he is the perfect manager to handle this type of player. Also, as has been mentioned before, the Cubs are clearly in the business of getting the regular season innings down on their starting rotation. This is going to be important for at least the first few years of his career.

I'm sure your opinion is completely unbiased. :lol:
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I had a dream that no one knew what Ohtani’s decision was as the season started and then randomly in the Cubs first game of the year, he came on in relief and struck out the side to close the game.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Burtonbell
All-Star

Postby Burtonbell » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I had a dream that no one knew what Ohtani’s decision was as the season started and then randomly in the Cubs first game of the year, he came on in relief and struck out the side to close the game.

BAW GOD!!! ITS OHTANI'S MUSIC!!! OHTANI'S IN THE BUILDING!!!
9 x
:flythew:

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:39 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I had a dream that no one knew what Ohtani’s decision was as the season started and then randomly in the Cubs first game of the year, he came on in relief and struck out the side to close the game.

8 x

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Driving my kid to school this morning and caught a long red light, so I pulled up twitter for the first time of the day. Saw a Buster Olney tweet and read "something something something Wil Myers will move from OF to..." and my brain told me that this was how I was finding out that he picked the padres over the night and of course I swore loudly in front of my 6 year old kid.

"What is it daddy?"
"Ohhh whew, oh its nothing, thank GAWD. Its just this Japanese baseball player that I want to pick the Cubs because you see, he pitches and he..."
"Can you turn this music up please?"
3 x

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:If I were in his shoes knowing the long term endorsement and salary potential, and putting a premium on having a fun career (personal success + team success) I’d have to think the order would be:
Cubs
Dodgers
Mariners
Giants
Angels
Rangers
Padres

I'm sure your opinion is completely unbiased. :lol:

Well of course it is. Still trying to think of it objectively.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Today is Jed's birthday so makes sense to Ohtani to pick the Cubs today.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm

shnsajax wrote:Today is Jed's birthday so makes sense to Ohtani to pick the Cubs today.

Professor's too
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 pm

This has to be the most Heyman tweet ever

2 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 pm

David wrote:This has to be the most Heyman tweet ever

That's nearly perfect, surprised he didn't end it with "unless he decides to take more time"
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm

He needs to learn we live in a reality show era...we have a reality show President...He should eliminate teams once a day until only two remain and then make a big spectacle of it all.

Hell, throw some japanese game show stuff in there for the final decision.
0 x

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Personally, I'm not too worried about the #Rnagers getting him.
1 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm

#rnagers
5 x

Return to “Transactions”