The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

Andre Ethier on the Block?

CUBZ99
All-Star

Andre Ethier on the Block?

Postby CUBZ99 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:43 pm

According to Buster Olney, Ethier may be on the market. Depending on the cost, I wouldn't mind the Cubs taking a look at him. Obviously, I wouldn't be in favor of trading the farm for him as he will be turning 31 in April. But he did sign a fairly reasonable deal and would be under control for the next 5 years.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Sources: Dodgers are open to the idea of dealing Andre Ethier. He signed a five-year, $85 million contract during the season.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Re: Andre Ethier on the Block?

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 pm

i wouldn't take on his contract even if we didn't have to give anything up

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:53 pm

CUBZ99 wrote:According to Buster Olney, Ethier may be on the market. Depending on the cost, I wouldn't mind the Cubs taking a look at him. Obviously, I wouldn't be in favor of trading the farm for him as he will be turning 31 in April. But he did sign a fairly reasonable deal and would be under control for the next 5 years.

Sources: Dodgers are open to the idea of dealing Andre Ethier. He signed a five-year, $85 million contract during the season.

A fairly reasonable deal?

Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Soriano LF/Dejesus CF/Ethier RF would be the worst defensive OF in the history of history.
Screw Pitchers

CUBZ99
All-Star

Postby CUBZ99 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 pm

David wrote:
CUBZ99 wrote:According to Buster Olney, Ethier may be on the market. Depending on the cost, I wouldn't mind the Cubs taking a look at him. Obviously, I wouldn't be in favor of trading the farm for him as he will be turning 31 in April. But he did sign a fairly reasonable deal and would be under control for the next 5 years.

A fairly reasonable deal?

I guess your right. Looks like he was worth approx. $15.2MM this year according to fangraphs with value of contract being $17MM per year. So not far off, but not ideal going into his 30's.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 pm

it's paying for past performance. [expletive] the dodgers. hopefully nobody takes on any of their awful contracts.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 pm

I don't think it's for financial help at all. More like an Ethier/Capuano for Cliff Lee type of swap or something similar, so they can go after Hamilton.

AlwaysaCub
All-Star

Postby AlwaysaCub » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Soriano LF/Dejesus CF/Ethier RF would be the worst defensive OF in the history of history.

This. Ethier realistically may have to move to 1st within the next 3 years. Plus RF at Wrigley is a tough field.

Return to “Transactions”