North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 3296
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
‏@CSNMooney

#Cubs sign Scott Baker to one-year deal.


Quote:
@CSNMooney

Source says Scott Baker gets a one-year, $5.5 million deal from #Cubs with incentives that could be worth up to additional $1.5 million.

_________________
R.I.P #10 Ron Santo

Image


Last edited by haubrich91 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 am 
Offline
is ELL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:08 am
Posts: 44980
Location: Chicago Loop
[expletive] you.

_________________
Exile on Waveland wrote:
IU smells like poop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 am 
Offline
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:51 pm
Posts: 13803
Location: PSU @ University Park/State College
Interesting low-risk move. If he's fully healthy, it could be a great bargain. From 2007-2011 his fWAR was no lower than a 2.6.

_________________
formerly known as PriorPower

Penn State Class of 2010

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 am 
Offline
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:02 pm
Posts: 12079
Location: Bettendorf,Iowa/South Bend, IN
I kind of feel like I did when we signed Maholm last year. Not bad, I'm not excited about it, but not bad for attempting to get cheap talent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 am 
Offline
Kyle in disguise
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 28230
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
The peripherals are really pretty except he's an extreme fly ball pitcher. Looks very good to me, but we need about 3 guys like him in order to feel reasonably confident of filling out two rotation spots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:00 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 33798
Location: Chicago
Would be nice if he has an option year like Maholm did.

Nice signing, either way.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:00 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 3296
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
@CSNMooney

Source says Scott Baker gets a one-year, $5.5 million deal from #Cubs with incentives that could be worth up to additional $1.5 million.

_________________
R.I.P #10 Ron Santo

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 am 
Offline
is ELL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:08 am
Posts: 44980
Location: Chicago Loop
To elaborate on my "[expletive] you." That's an ok deal, but it's a troubling sign about how many seasons we're going to punt.

_________________
Exile on Waveland wrote:
IU smells like poop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:33 am
Posts: 21262
Location: Derpistan
I dig it.

_________________
"As Twitter user @Texasbound3 said, I wish the Dodgers could sweep them in one game, so that the world can move on from Cardinals Nation's unending love affair with itself."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am 
Offline
Starter

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 am
Posts: 578
Location: Old Town
Is there a timetable for him to be ready to face ML hitters? If I recall correctly, he had TJS in April or May.


Also, this marks my first post on NSBB. Here's a :hello: for the standing ovation from all of you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 am 
Offline
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:48 pm
Posts: 16739
Location: Dayton, Ohio
A good low risk gamble on getting decent production out of him and flipping him for a prospect at the deadline. I guess this is how we have to do things for a while.

_________________
Quote:
The Iron Sheik ‏@the_ironsheik
sammy sosa i respect he not the @JoseCanseco


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 33798
Location: Chicago
Now hopefully we can get McCarthy and Liriano to accept and go with...

Samardzija, Garza, McCarthy, Baker, Liriano

That's not bad at all.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 3228
Location: Indy
David wrote:
Would be nice if he has an option year like Maholm did.

Nice signing, either way.


Pretty much this. Might not be ready by opening day and could easily struggle for quite a while. My hopes aren't very high on his trade value for the 2013 deadline. Of course we have to roll with the health concerns these days.

_________________
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 am 
Offline
5-Time All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:58 pm
Posts: 8672
Location: behind the boathouse
called it
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61440&p=2853061#p2853061

Quote:
pitching is going to be completely rebuilt; i can see Baker, Villanueva, Liriano, A. Sanchez, Floyd as targets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm
Posts: 3699
I don't see this one as a flip at the deadline. I see this deal as an audition where if Baker pitches well the Cubs extend him. Given how unlikely it is that a guy coming off TJS is going to pitch well in the 1st half, that's the impression I get.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am 
Offline
Formerly West Side Rooter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 23855
Location: Baseball Hell
Like Liriano, if Baker is starting pitcher 2 of 2 for the offseason, I'm happy with it. If our 2 SP additions are Baker and Liriano, not so much.

_________________
Chicago Club has gone back on us. Please Send Expenses. Am Broke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:39 pm
Posts: 3009
Location: Chicago, IL
Tryptamine wrote:
I don't see this one as a flip at the deadline. I see this deal as an audition where if Baker pitches well the Cubs extend him. Given how unlikely it is that a guy coming off TJS is going to pitch well in the 1st half, that's the impression I get.

I highly doubt that. You think we'll give a 32 year-old with his injury history an extension?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43800
Ideally when signing one of these rehabbers you build yourself in a reward with a cheapish option in exchange for what is a pretty sizable guarantee to a guy who is going to be a major question on opening day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am 
Offline
Starter

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:52 am
Posts: 270
Location: Las Vegas
Paired with someone from the Marcum/McCarthy/Jackson tier and maybe a bargain bin flier (Stauffer?) for depth this'd be a solid add.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:10 am
Posts: 3354
Very nice gamble. Would've been nice if we could've gotten some sort of 2nd year option on this, but this is fine. If he struggles, then well, we had extra money to spare and needed guys to fill rotation spots. If he finds his form, he's a decent mid-rotation type arm that we can flip for something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:10 am
Posts: 3354
SouthSideRyan wrote:
To elaborate on my "[expletive] you." That's an ok deal, but it's a troubling sign about how many seasons we're going to punt.


I tend to think, as of now, that 2015 is probably the most realistic year to begin to make a push. The short of it is, barring some surprises, there just aren't many pieces that we are going to add to the core of Castro/Rizzo in the next year or two. At best, it feels like maybe an piece or two will develop into capable starters, but there just isn't much that we are adding to the core to build around. Thankfully, Castro/Rizzo are young enough that we can take that time. Most of our prime prospects are a few years away, and it's not like we have a ton of assets to bring in a lot of upper level, closer to ready quality talent.

I'm not enthused about it. I can understand it, and I'm okay "punting" 2013. I don't know if the general fan base can take 3 years of horrid play, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm
Posts: 3699
KingCubsFan wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:
I don't see this one as a flip at the deadline. I see this deal as an audition where if Baker pitches well the Cubs extend him. Given how unlikely it is that a guy coming off TJS is going to pitch well in the 1st half, that's the impression I get.

I highly doubt that. You think we'll give a 32 year-old with his injury history an extension?


I don't think giving him 2-3 years after this year would be all that unrealistic. I mean it's unrealistic to expect him to pitch particularly well before the trade deadline coming off his surgery, so banking on that to make him a worthwhile trade target doesn't make much sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43800
toonsterwu wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
To elaborate on my "[expletive] you." That's an ok deal, but it's a troubling sign about how many seasons we're going to punt.


I tend to think, as of now, that 2015 is probably the most realistic year to begin to make a push. The short of it is, barring some surprises, there just aren't many pieces that we are going to add to the core of Castro/Rizzo in the next year or two. At best, it feels like maybe an piece or two will develop into capable starters, but there just isn't much that we are adding to the core to build around. Thankfully, Castro/Rizzo are young enough that we can take that time. Most of our prime prospects are a few years away, and it's not like we have a ton of assets to bring in a lot of upper level, closer to ready quality talent.

I'm not enthused about it. I can understand it, and I'm okay "punting" 2013. I don't know if the general fan base can take 3 years of horrid play, though.


we're at 3 years of pretty bad already.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline
Kyle in disguise
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Posts: 28230
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
SouthSideRyan wrote:
To elaborate on my "[expletive] you." That's an ok deal, but it's a troubling sign about how many seasons we're going to punt.


That's a little premature. I mean, it's probably true, but Baker's signing doesn't make that any more or less likely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cubs sign Scott Baker to 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:58 am 
Offline
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Posts: 17899
Location: The Wastes
Here's a SP to flip, now we need one to keep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group