The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

Orioles as trade partners?

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Orioles as trade partners?

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm

From MLBTR:

The Orioles are telling teams that their priorities in the trade market are first base, left field, and DH according to MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli (on Twitter). GM Dan Duquette said several clubs match up well with their needs.

Sounds like we could fill all of those needs with LaHair and Soriano.

Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star

Re: Orioles as trade partners?

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm

LaHair sucks, he has no value
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Don't people think we should be trade partners with the Orioles every offseason?

Memories of the legendary Brian Roberts thread.
formerly known as PriorPower

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:04 am

Do the Orioles even have worthwhile prospects aside from Machado and Bundy?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

Not really. But if we could pry away Matusz in a Soriano deal, that'd be nice.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 am

After we manage to pry Matusz away, maybe we can pick up Andy Marte to play 3B and Lastings Milledge for CF.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:After we manage to pry Matusz away, maybe we can pick up Andy Marte to play 3B and Lastings Milledge for CF.

Not that we're likely to agree on anything, but what exactly about Matusz is it you evidently can't stand?

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 am

I'd lead with his 368 innings of poor major league performance, and follow with the fact that he's arb eligible.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:I'd lead with his 368 innings of poor major league performance, and follow with the fact that he's arb eligible.

True, but he looked great at the end of the year in a relief role, leading me to think he's fixable. He's also just 25 still and being arb eligible shouldn't matter to us, should it? He's still got 3 years of control.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:58 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:I'd lead with his 368 innings of poor major league performance, and follow with the fact that he's arb eligible.

He's just what we're looking for. You can't buy low if the player doesn't have some suck in him.

Slide Castro Slide
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Slide Castro Slide » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:10 am

Cubswin11 wrote:LaHair sucks, he has no value

To a team, especially an AL team poking around for a LH spare DH/1B/OF, and not wanting to drop a mil or 2 or 3 on someone like Branyan, Overbay, or Scott, he could be very attractive as a throw in. This being said, while to a team trading for Soriano, LaHair could be an attractive throw in, Baltimore already has Chris Davis, who's a younger, better version of him.

weis21
All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 am

I honestly don't think he would be attractive to anyone in any matter. He had a .572 OPS in the second half last year. He's also completely inept against anyone throwing with their left hand. He's just pretty bad.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 am

weis21 wrote:I honestly don't think he would be attractive to anyone in any matter. He had a .572 OPS in the second half last year. He's also completely inept against anyone throwing with their left hand. He's just pretty bad.

After the All Star game he only had 109 AB, which could account for some loss of production. Obviously he's best suited for a platoon player with .291/.362/.503/.865 against righties for the whole season.

Bob Sanders
Crap Bag

Postby Bob Sanders » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 am

Backtobanks wrote:
weis21 wrote:I honestly don't think he would be attractive to anyone in any matter. He had a .572 OPS in the second half last year. He's also completely inept against anyone throwing with their left hand. He's just pretty bad.

After the All Star game he only had 109 AB, which could account for some loss of production. Obviously he's best suited for a platoon player with .291/.362/.503/.865 against righties for the whole season.

The limited number of ABs was the result of a loss in production.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

Outshined_One wrote:Do the Orioles even have worthwhile prospects aside from Machado and Bundy?

Well ... they don't have elite prospects besides from those two, but it's not like we have a guy to trade them that would cost an elite prospect. After that, they have some decent-solid secondary pieces (although Gausman/Kline would have to wait till summer) that would probably work with the OP's suggestion of a LaHair (which I don't see the Orioles trading for) or Soriano deal (also don't really see the O's making a move on this, but I guess there's some potential if we eat enough money).

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 am

davell wrote:

True, but he looked great at the end of the year in a relief role, leading me to think he's fixable. He's also just 25 still and being arb eligible shouldn't matter to us, should it? He's still got 3 years of control.

Having seen enough of Matusz the last two years, I'm just not sure he's anything more than a end of the rotation starter type, or more likely, very good pen arm. The other two arms that would get mentioned (Arrieta and Britton) would intrigue me a bit more, Britton moreso than Arrieta. That said, I'm not sure any of those three would really be available in a Soriano deal. Perhaps, but I'm not convinced the Orioles would do that when they have enough money to spent to land a DH/1st/OF (Chris Davis will probably keep a regular gig, and he showed he can be ... passable ... in the OF, so they have some flexibility on what they look for).

Return to “Transactions”