North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cubs interested in Porcello?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 pm 
Hall of Fame

Barely thread worthy, but it might give SSR a rage-stroke, so there's that.

Quote:
@georgeofman Now that Miggy has won the MVP, will the Tigers deal Rick Porcello to the Cubs? Told there is a little smoke here.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Cubs interested in Porcello?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:42 pm 
Hall of Fame

Ok, they really aren't trying are they?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Superstar

How does Cabrera have anything to do with Porcello?

"Now that I'm sitting on the couch, Israel and Palestine need to stop launching rockets at each other"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Role Player

I don't think Offman has ever broke a story in his life, I'd take this with a pretty big grain of salt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:53 pm 
Starter

rawaction wrote:

A 23 year old AL pitcher who had good peripherals last season...doesn't sound bad to me

He's also a groundball pitcher and the Cubs' infield defense is a strength.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
Hall of Fame

I'd be at least vaguely curious about Porcello if we didn't already have two fifth starters in the rotation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:56 pm 
Hall of Fame

Gilby wrote:
rawaction wrote:

A 23 year old AL pitcher who had good peripherals last season...doesn't sound bad to me

His peripherals have been the same his whole career. 4.8-5.5 K/9, doesn't walk people, gives up a metric asston of hits. He was only at 1.2 GB/FB ratio last year, which is above his career average. He's a league average pitcher at best unless a huge light comes on for him. He's Travis Wood redux.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:56 pm 
All-Star

Now that the Knicks are 5-0, will the Jets fire Rex Ryan? Little birdie told me there's smoke here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm 
All-Star

rawaction wrote:
Gilby wrote:
rawaction wrote:

His peripherals have been the same his whole career. 4.8-5.5 K/9, doesn't walk people, gives up a metric asston of hits. He was only at 1.2 GB/FB ratio last year, which is above his career average. He's a league average pitcher at best unless a huge light comes on for him. He's Travis Wood redux.

Looking at the numbers, he's slowly improving. Plus the fastball velocity jumped up last year. I could see why the Cubs would be interested, but I wonder what it would take to get him, considering he's still young.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm 
Superstar

My honest guess is it'd cost Barney, which would negate some of the positives you'd be acquiring with him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm 
Hall of Fame

Actually, the more I look, the more I want.

About to turn 24 years old, league-average starting pitcher, 2.36 GB/FB ratio last year. Put him behind our infield defense and with the slow Wrigley grass and you really might have something.

With him and Baker, you've got a nice start to breaking our impressively awful three-year streak of issuing the most walks in the league.

And best of all, it actually involves filling a spot for several years. Every spot we fill now is one less we have to worry about in 2014 or 2015, so we can stop with the "we need so many people let's just get no one" routine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:36 pm 
All-Star

davell wrote:
My honest guess is it'd cost Barney, which would negate some of the positives you'd be acquiring with him.

That was my thought as well. I'm not a big fan of Barney long-term, but he seems like the type you'd want to hold onto with the hope that someone will offer something ridiculous at the trading deadline.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

Do I particularly want Rick Porcello? No.
Would I be particularly upset if we acquired Rick Procello without giving up anything of value? No.
Pretty much how I feel about every big league acquisition Theo's made.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 am 
5-Time All-Star

gocubs2118 wrote:
I don't think Offman has ever broke a story in his life, I'd take this with a pretty big grain of salt.

Maybe the smoke was the talking smoke Offman saw when he was toking?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:15 pm 
Starter

davell wrote:

I would trade Barney for him in a heartbeat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:25 pm 
Superstar

Radar3454 wrote:
davell wrote:

I would trade Barney for him in a heartbeat

I'm probably higher on Barney than most here, and I'd do it too, easily.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 am 
5-Time All-Star

Now that the Tigers have signed Hunter, maybe we could swing a deal to get Andy Dirks and Porcello. Offer them Barney + ??????.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:18 pm 
is ELL

So it doesn't concern any of you that Rick Porcello sucks?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:21 pm 
Hall of Fame

SouthSideRyan wrote:

No, because he doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 pm 
Hall of Fame

There's definitely concern that he won't improve upon what he is now, but he's been league average at worst for 4 straight seasons, he's steadily improved his peripherals for 4 straight years, and he's only 24 for all of next season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:01 pm 
5-Time All-Star

SouthSideRyan wrote:

Did you see what the Cubs trotted out to the mound during the 2nd half of the season?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Hall of Fame

I'd take Porcello in a heartbeat if the Cubs didn't already have Travis Wood, Scott Baker, and several other guys who are likely to be very slightly above league average at their very best. I don't really know what I'm expecting, because the Cubs don't have a ton available to give up that wouldn't hurt their rebuilding effort. But when I hear the DBacks possibly giving up on Bauer, when I see the A's with 19 ML ready arms, when hear rumors of Tampa talking about their young arms, I'd like to think the Cubs can do a lot better than Rick Porcello. Hell, I'd rather take a chance that Jurrjens can figure out how to get back to being good, even though he's older, because he actually was somewhat good at one time.

If the Cubs get Porcello, that's probably going to be it for the rotation. Garza, Samardzija, Porcello, Wood, Baker, Vizcaino, and guys like Rusin, Raley, etc. in the upper minors are probably your 2013 Cubs starting rotation in some combination.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:32 pm 
5-Time All-Star

rawaction wrote:
I'd take Porcello in a heartbeat if the Cubs didn't already have Travis Wood, Scott Baker, and several other guys who are likely to be very slightly above league average at their very best. I don't really know what I'm expecting, because the Cubs don't have a ton available to give up that wouldn't hurt their rebuilding effort. But when I hear the DBacks possibly giving up on Bauer, when I see the A's with 19 ML ready arms, when hear rumors of Tampa talking about their young arms, I'd like to think the Cubs can do a lot better than Rick Porcello. Hell, I'd rather take a chance that Jurrjens can figure out how to get back to being good, even though he's older, because he actually was somewhat good at one time.

If the Cubs get Porcello, that's probably going to be it for the rotation. Garza, Samardzija, Porcello, Wood, Baker, Vizcaino, and guys like Rusin, Raley, etc. in the upper minors are probably your 2013 Cubs starting rotation in some combination.

I'm most interested in trying to fill the rotation with younger pitchers who could possibly turn it around and fill a need long term rather than the likes of Marcum/Blanton/etc. for a year or two. As you stated, the A's young pitchers, Bauer, Hellickson, Delgado, Jurrjens, Porcello, etc. are better options than middle aged filler. We already know that we're going to suck next year anyhow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 pm 
Hall of Fame

Backtobanks wrote:
rawaction wrote:

I'm most interested in trying to fill the rotation with younger pitchers who could possibly turn it around and fill a need long term rather than the likes of Marcum/Blanton/etc. for a year or two. As you stated, the A's young pitchers, Bauer, Hellickson, Delgado, Jurrjens, Porcello, etc. are better options than middle aged filler. We already know that we're going to suck next year anyhow.

I don't want middle aged filler (still would be OK with signing 1 guy just to be there for the inevitable Garza trade). But young filler isn't much better. I know the 2013 rotation isn't going to be good enough. But I want hope that the 2014 rotation might be. If Porcello is in the 2013 rotation, I know that his spot in the 2014 rotation isn't likely to be any better than average. If a guy like Bauer or Delgado are brought in, the 2013 rotation still won't be good enough, but 2014 gives you some hope with Samardzija, Bauer/Delgado, Vizcaino being possibly set in 3/5 of the rotation. Maybe its too much to ask given the Cubs limited amount of tradeable assets, but it's the only realistic direction I can see working out for the positive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:58 pm 
Hall of Fame

rawaction wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
rawaction wrote:

I don't want middle aged filler (still would be OK with signing 1 guy just to be there for the inevitable Garza trade). But young filler isn't much better. I know the 2013 rotation isn't going to be good enough. But I want hope that the 2014 rotation might be. If Porcello is in the 2013 rotation, I know that his spot in the 2014 rotation isn't likely to be any better than average. If a guy like Bauer or Delgado are brought in, the 2013 rotation still won't be good enough, but 2014 gives you some hope with Samardzija, Bauer/Delgado, Vizcaino being possibly set in 3/5 of the rotation. Maybe its too much to ask given the Cubs limited amount of tradeable assets, but it's the only realistic direction I can see working out for the positive.

Why do you know this?

We allegedly have offers sitting on the table for a few pitchers... McCarthy and Liriano among them.

Samardzija, Garza, McCarthy, 2 of Baker/Liriano/Wood/Vizcaino looks like a rotation that could be anywhere from very good to awesome (if things go right at the back end) to me.

google adsense
Post details