SO is Samardzija not the same value as say a Hellickson? Shark has alot less wear and tear on his arm? Sorry but everyone here always goes bananas about trading shark but what is his value if not another teams top prospect? Would we trade Baez for Hellickson if we were ready to compete? I realize Meyers is a GOD to some but really? a TOR arm in his mid 20's with 4 more years of team control isnt worth a wil meyers? Agree to disagree then i guess.
1) Samardzija will be 28 at the start of the 2013 season, he is not in his mid 20's.
2) Samardzija only has three more years of team control available
3) He is entering his first year of arbitration, and if he continues to do well his then his price tag is not a desirable reason to trade for him any longer
4) Hellickson has benefited from Joe Maddon's smart usage of defensive shifts. Samardzija proved to be a better pitcher this season than Hellickson has been the past 3 seasons combined (fWAR). But what do you think teams are going to value more? A 25 year old with a career 3.06 ERA in 402 IP over three seasons pitching in the toughest division in baseball who is making league minimum next season and is under control for 4 total years which makes him a prime contract extension target, or a 28 year old with a 3.81 ERA in one season as a starter in 174 IP who is entering arbitration and under control for 3 until he turns 30?
5) He has only shown success as a starter for one season, and while most of us acknowledge that he was fairly dominant most of the season, and his struggles midway through the season were tied to an attempt to work another pitch into his repertoire, his overall 2012 numbers combined with 1 through 3 do not scream "Let's trade one of the best prospects in baseball for this guy".
He's a valuable trading chip, but I don't think anyone here thinks he's worth a Wil Myers level prospect. Why would the Royals trade their best prospect who costs them next to nothing and they have team control over for the next 6+ years for a guy who has had one year of moderate success and is about to get a little bit pricey while getting closer to the age of 30? If they trade Myers it will be for a pitcher with far more value than Jeff Samardzija, IMO.