North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 3rd Base
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 pm 
Starter

I was just wondering what the thoughts were for solutions at third base. There are possible FA options in the OF and SP but some pretty unbearable answeres for 3b. With the internal options of Stewart and Valbuena are there any realistic trade options or possible outside the box FA answers to fix the situation with the team direction in mind?

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: 3rd Base
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:53 pm 
Superstar

I think we're going back to the grill again, with Stewart.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:56 pm 
Superstar

marc_foust wrote:
I was just wondering what the thoughts were for solutions at third base. There are possible FA options in the OF and SP but some pretty unbearable answeres for 3b. With the internal options of Stewart and Valbuena are there any realistic trade options or possible outside the box FA answers to fix the situation with the team direction in mind?

Outside of getting Youkilis to agree to a 1-2 year deal as a placeholder, I don't see anything on the FA market. There are few attractive trade options, but they'd be expensive. It's a pretty bleak scene as far a options go, I'm afraid. I personally think that barring some unexpected options opening up, we'll see a best case of Valbuena or Stewart in 2013, maybe Villanueva in 2014 and hopefully Baez in 2015 (with Villanueva moving to second).

There's a paucity of good 3B options around the league, especially young-ish types. Headley would be a spectacular get, but he'd come at a spectacularly high price. But maybe we'll see something creative and outside the box happen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm 
Starter

I think it will be Lonnie Chisenhall.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:35 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

Unless Chisenhall were a realistic option, there's really nothing out there offering a reward higher than Stewart or Vitters, as unlikely as we are to ever collect said rewards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:19 pm 
5-Time All-Star

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Unless Chisenhall were a realistic option, there's really nothing out there offering a reward higher than Stewart or Vitters, as unlikely as we are to ever collect said rewards.

Masterson and Chisenhall in a package deal would be a great move.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 pm 
Starter

It will be Stewart to start. If the broken bone in his hand had nothing to do with diminished production he might not last the season . . . on the roster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 pm 
Formerly Nuts&Gum

You'll all get the gas face...but especially Kyle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 am 
All-Star

Sign OF with range & power, convert them to 3B.

Pretty simple. Any reasonably athletic guy who doesn't have a noodle arm should be able to play 3B.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 am 
Hall of Fame

Nuts&Gum wrote:
You'll all get the gas face...but especially Kyle.

Our 3b will be my favorite player in April, whether it's Ian Stewart or Not Ian Stewart.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:26 pm 
Role Player

Would love to see what it would take to get Moustakas. He could be a core guy at 3b for years. Makes Baez available for a TOR potential arm.

I know the Royals are looking for SP they can control. If they called and offered Moustakas+Meyers for Samardzija+Barney+Russell i would be tempted.. Now before i get flamed for overvalueing Shark or undervaluing Meyers let me explain

The royals would have shark for at least 3 years of control. They have toyed with the idea of moving Moose and moving Gordon back to 3b. Shark would be a great value to them as he would to us. I would hate losing him without getting back arms but for 2 core pieces i do it.

Turn Baez into Bauer or Skaggs?

Core of Castro+Rizzo+Meyers+Moustakas+Bauer with potential Almora+Soler on the horizon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:23 pm 
All-Star

We paid to fix Stewart. Might as well see how he looks next season. Unless the market for Youk just vanishes there aren't any other good options.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:27 pm 
Role Player

Eric Chavez as a platoon/fill in guy/insurance/back up?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 pm 
Hall of Fame

chopsx9 wrote:
Eric Chavez as a platoon/fill in guy/insurance/back up?

Would love, love, love to see that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:27 pm 
All-Star

huff wrote:
Would love to see what it would take to get Moustakas. He could be a core guy at 3b for years. Makes Baez available for a TOR potential arm.

I know the Royals are looking for SP they can control. If they called and offered Moustakas+Meyers for Samardzija+Barney+Russell i would be tempted.. Now before i get flamed for overvalueing Shark or undervaluing Meyers let me explain

The royals would have shark for at least 3 years of control. They have toyed with the idea of moving Moose and moving Gordon back to 3b. Shark would be a great value to them as he would to us. I would hate losing him without getting back arms but for 2 core pieces i do it.

Core of Castro+Rizzo+Meyers+Moustakas+Bauer with potential Almora+Soler on the horizon

Are you talking about Wil Myers? If so.... LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 am 
bench player

i say we shop for chavez or even scott rolen...rolen might not hit anymore and could only platoon...but i think it'd be a good fit between him and ian stewart...the guy can still field like one of the greatest and not many teams will give him an offer

plus cardinal fans would be pissed...

chavez or rolen....or stewart :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 pm 
Role Player

Splendid Splinter wrote:
huff wrote:

The Royals are listening to offers for Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, and even Wil Myers. The Rays, meanwhile, are listening on James Shields and Jeremy Hellickson.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#7hdojkHe1Z8rQ1U9.99

lol indeed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 pm 
Hall of Fame

The Royals listening on their bats is not the same as them dealing Moustakas and Myers for Samardzija and Barney.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:42 pm 
All-Star

huff wrote:
Splendid Splinter wrote:
huff wrote:

The Royals are listening to offers for Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, and even Wil Myers. The Rays, meanwhile, are listening on James Shields and Jeremy Hellickson.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#7hdojkHe1Z8rQ1U9.99

lol indeed

I follow the Royals almost as closely as I do the Cubs. There would be a riot if that trade took place. It'd be a very hard sell on Myers or Moose for Samardzija/Barney/Russell. But both? You are drinking the funny juice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:38 pm 
Role Player

SO is Samardzija not the same value as say a Hellickson? Shark has alot less wear and tear on his arm? Sorry but everyone here always goes bananas about trading shark but what is his value if not another teams top prospect? Would we trade Baez for Hellickson if we were ready to compete? I realize Meyers is a GOD to some but really? a TOR arm in his mid 20's with 4 more years of team control isnt worth a wil meyers? Agree to disagree then i guess.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:08 pm 
Hall of Fame

The royals need to move moose, he is vastly overrated IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:24 pm 
Superstar

huff wrote:
SO is Samardzija not the same value as say a Hellickson? Shark has alot less wear and tear on his arm? Sorry but everyone here always goes bananas about trading shark but what is his value if not another teams top prospect? Would we trade Baez for Hellickson if we were ready to compete? I realize Meyers is a GOD to some but really? a TOR arm in his mid 20's with 4 more years of team control isnt worth a wil meyers? Agree to disagree then i guess.

1) Samardzija will be 28 at the start of the 2013 season, he is not in his mid 20's.

2) Samardzija only has three more years of team control available

3) He is entering his first year of arbitration, and if he continues to do well his then his price tag is not a desirable reason to trade for him any longer

4) Hellickson has benefited from Joe Maddon's smart usage of defensive shifts. Samardzija proved to be a better pitcher this season than Hellickson has been the past 3 seasons combined (fWAR). But what do you think teams are going to value more? A 25 year old with a career 3.06 ERA in 402 IP over three seasons pitching in the toughest division in baseball who is making league minimum next season and is under control for 4 total years which makes him a prime contract extension target, or a 28 year old with a 3.81 ERA in one season as a starter in 174 IP who is entering arbitration and under control for 3 until he turns 30?

5) He has only shown success as a starter for one season, and while most of us acknowledge that he was fairly dominant most of the season, and his struggles midway through the season were tied to an attempt to work another pitch into his repertoire, his overall 2012 numbers combined with 1 through 3 do not scream "Let's trade one of the best prospects in baseball for this guy".

He's a valuable trading chip, but I don't think anyone here thinks he's worth a Wil Myers level prospect. Why would the Royals trade their best prospect who costs them next to nothing and they have team control over for the next 6+ years for a guy who has had one year of moderate success and is about to get a little bit pricey while getting closer to the age of 30? If they trade Myers it will be for a pitcher with far more value than Jeff Samardzija, IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm 
Hall of Fame

Samardzija is absolutely worth Wil Myers or Mike Moustakas. It's the "Barney + Russell for Myers or Moustakas" half of the deal in addition to that swap that makes it an impossibility.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 pm 
Superstar

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Samardzija is absolutely worth Wil Myers or Mike Moustakas. It's the "Barney + Russell for Myers or Moustakas" half of the deal in addition to that swap that makes it an impossibility.

Moustakas I can see since they've seen him at the MLB level, but I think Myers can fetch more than Samardzija, and I think the Royals would/should know that

Last edited by The Logan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 pm 
Hall of Fame

Edit: NM, I keep forgetting just how awesome Samardzija was last year.

google adsense
Post details