North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 34294
Location: Chicago
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick
#Bluejays officially announce John Gibbons' return as manager. He's got a lot of talent to work with this time.


Well, that should be, uhhhhh, entertaining...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 am 
Offline
Curse You!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Posts: 51729
Location: Kidding Myself
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 34294
Location: Chicago
Quote:
"Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand told The Toronto Star. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional."

Gibbons acknowledged he challenged Hillenbrand to a fight.

"He had a chance yesterday to defend himself in front of his coaches and his teammates. He chose not to," Gibbons said.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 am 
Offline
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Posts: 13907
Theo thinks the next market inneficiency is curbing pitching injuries. AA evidently thinks its finding managers to beat the [expletive] out of the players.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 pm 
Offline
previously Beertown Cubbie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 7980
Location: the REAL chicago
David wrote:
Quote:
"Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand told The Toronto Star. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional."

Gibbons acknowledged he challenged Hillenbrand to a fight.

"He had a chance yesterday to defend himself in front of his coaches and his teammates. He chose not to," Gibbons said.


Oh my goodness, is there anything more meatbally than challenging a player to a fight and then basically calling him a [expletive] on the record?

_________________
neely wrote:
but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:54 pm 
Offline
is ELL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:08 am
Posts: 45223
Location: Chicago Loop
To be fair, pretty much everybody hates Shea Hillenbrand.

_________________
Exile on Waveland wrote:
IU smells like poop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:46 pm 
Offline
Stall Monitor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Posts: 55114
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
Maybe rehiring a failure of a manager is the new market inefficiency

If so, Bruce Kimm should start sitting by the phone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:05 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:15 am
Posts: 3109
Castro's Spray Chart wrote:
David wrote:
Quote:
"Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand told The Toronto Star. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional."

Gibbons acknowledged he challenged Hillenbrand to a fight.

"He had a chance yesterday to defend himself in front of his coaches and his teammates. He chose not to," Gibbons said.


Oh my goodness, is there anything more meatbally than challenging a player to a fight and then basically calling him a [expletive] on the record?

I think you missed the whole story.

Quote:
On July 19, 2006, Hillenbrand criticized the Blue Jays organization for failing to congratulate him on his recent adoption of a baby girl and not playing him upon his return. He was also disgruntled about sharing first base duties with Lyle Overbay and third base duties with Troy Glaus while being made to play as a designated hitter. Hillenbrand refused to sit with his team in the dugout during that night's game. After the game, an argument in the clubhouse took place between Hillenbrand and manager John Gibbons over Hillenbrand allegedly writing defamatory comments about the team on the clubhouse billboard ("This is a sinking ship" and "Play for yourself") after batting practice. This led to a confrontation between Hillenbrand and Gibbons.

He was designated for assignment that same evening, with the club citing irreconcilable differences.

He was out of baseball a year later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays hire Gibbons as manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
Offline
previously Beertown Cubbie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 7980
Location: the REAL chicago
NonProfitCow wrote:
Castro's Spray Chart wrote:
David wrote:
Quote:
"Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand told The Toronto Star. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional."

Gibbons acknowledged he challenged Hillenbrand to a fight.

"He had a chance yesterday to defend himself in front of his coaches and his teammates. He chose not to," Gibbons said.


Oh my goodness, is there anything more meatbally than challenging a player to a fight and then basically calling him a [expletive] on the record?

I think you missed the whole story.

Quote:
On July 19, 2006, Hillenbrand criticized the Blue Jays organization for failing to congratulate him on his recent adoption of a baby girl and not playing him upon his return. He was also disgruntled about sharing first base duties with Lyle Overbay and third base duties with Troy Glaus while being made to play as a designated hitter. Hillenbrand refused to sit with his team in the dugout during that night's game. After the game, an argument in the clubhouse took place between Hillenbrand and manager John Gibbons over Hillenbrand allegedly writing defamatory comments about the team on the clubhouse billboard ("This is a sinking ship" and "Play for yourself") after batting practice. This led to a confrontation between Hillenbrand and Gibbons.

He was designated for assignment that same evening, with the club citing irreconcilable differences.

He was out of baseball a year later.


I knew Hillenbrand was a [expletive], but no, I didn't quite know those details. I still stand by what I said, though.

_________________
neely wrote:
but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Airmandave, ChiCubsFan, Elrhino, georgiacubfan, Google [Bot], JennieGarthAlgar, mul21, nolanwood, Strike Zone, Tedward, The-Kris-Bryant, UMFan83 and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group