The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger

David
Hall of Fame

Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger

Postby David » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 am

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Three teams that had been aggressive on Jeff Keppinger before he broke his leg were the Cubs, Diamondbacks and Rays.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Club evaluators were aware of Jeff Keppinger's leg injury, and don't consider it serious enough to deter them. Teams bidding: TB, AZ, CHC.

Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star

Re: Olney - Cubs were aggressive after Keppinger before inju

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am

When did he break his leg?
Screw Pitchers

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am

Cubswin11 wrote:When did he break his leg?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... ll-at-home

Primed to capitalize on a breakout 2012 season in which he hit a career-high .325, the free agent infielder recently suffered a break in his right fibula tripping down some stairs at his house. The break, described as a small one in the calf by major-league sources, has been repaired surgically. He is at home recuperating.

Keppinger is said by sources to hope to be ready by mid-January and certainly by the start of spring training. Interested teams, aware of the injury, have been perusing medical reports. Keppinger's agent Keith Grunewald has been said to be very transparent about the injury, though Grunewald declined to comment to CBSSports.com.

David
Hall of Fame

Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger

Postby David » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am

Maybe a good platoon partner at 3B with a Chavez or Stewart?

Actually, scratch platooning him with Stewart.
Last edited by David on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am

He broke it within the last week or so.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 am

Fine, replace Youk with Keppinger in my offseason plan. Just get the rest done.

Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 am

That really sounds like nothing serious at all. He'd be a pretty good addition to platoon at 3B with someone and provide a backup option for all the IF positions and possibly be an emergency OF as well. He's a career .333/.376/.487 (.864 OPS) against lefties, btw.
Screw Pitchers

Slide Castro Slide
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Slide Castro Slide » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 am

Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 am

Slide Castro Slide wrote:Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I should stop clicking Display this post.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 am

Slide Castro Slide wrote:Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.
formerly known as PriorPower

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:50 am

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:When did he break his leg?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... ll-at-home

Primed to capitalize on a breakout 2012 season in which he hit a career-high .325, the free agent infielder recently suffered a break in his right fibula tripping down some stairs at his house. The break, described as a small one in the calf by major-league sources, has been repaired surgically. He is at home recuperating.

Keppinger is said by sources to hope to be ready by mid-January and certainly by the start of spring training. Interested teams, aware of the injury, have been perusing medical reports. Keppinger's agent Keith Grunewald has been said to be very transparent about the injury, though Grunewald declined to comment to CBSSports.com.

So he's a heavy drinker, I like it.
ARCubsFan wrote:Go Cardinals

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:51 am

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... Career&t=b

Somebody explain to me how he has fewer PA vs LHP than he has vs LH starters.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=keppije01&year=Career&t=b

vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.

Right below the stat... IDIOT

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am

Do you post stuff like this just to prove that it is possible to have the most stupid comment in every thread?

Slide Castro Slide

Postby Slide Castro Slide » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 am

Post Count Padder wrote:

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.

My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 am

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=keppije01&year=Career&t=b

vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.

still dont' get it

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 am

You mentioned Valbuena, 3 minor leaguers who shouldn't start the season on the MLB roster, and Stewart, who is LH like Valbuena and coming off a horrible injury plagued season. Pursuing a RH backup IF that has 3B as their primary position is exactly what they should be doing.

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:

My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.

Two words: Paul Maholm.

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:

still dont' get it

Read it one more time.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am

Post Count Padder wrote:

I don't see the problem with a Keppinger addition. I have my doubts we land him, but maybe we can offer a better shot at everyday PT (Chris Johnson hit well enough down the stretch for Arizona).

Here's the thing. Vitters/Lake aren't ready. Watkins shouldn't be at 3rd. That leaves last year's two options, but Stewart struggled and seems to be on the outs with the club. Valbuena is more of a utility or platoon type. While it's not that important, I think there still is some significance to providing some positive atmosphere/experience for our prime youngsters, Castro/Rizzo, and adding Keppinger can help in the short term. Furthermore, Keppinger is the type of guy that you could move at the deadline, if one of the above is ready for a look (or Villanueva).

Look, we have money to spend. Much as I am not against tanking 2013 to try and get Rodon (assuming Rodon stays ... awesome), I'm not for it either. Two horrendous seasons in a row would really suck. Keppinger doesn't mean that we really give up our shot at a high pick in 2014, but it could make the season a bit more enjoyable at the start, give them some flexibility, offer them a mid-season trade asset, and the cost is what? Money that we have to burn? Don't see a problem with it.

Slide Castro Slide

Postby Slide Castro Slide » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am

scarey wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:

Two words: Paul Maholm.

Maholm was the opposite. Former top prospect with some degree of big league success and signed to a bargain bin price due to injury. Keppinger has had a respectable career as a utility guy and coming off of a career season, so he's likely to get a 2-3 year deal, certainly more than he'd have received after any other season in his career.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 am

Guys, he would have been totally cool with it if they were "lackadaisically appraising" or something, because that totally validates his point which makes all kinds of sense.

nilodnayr
5-Time All-Star

Postby nilodnayr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

Let the Rays resign him and then we trade a bucket of balls to them for Ryan Roberts.
KING OF THE VWR

"I feel better now, I know I'm not going to die. That's too bad for my family. They thought they were going to be rich without doing anything.'' -Ozzie Guillen

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

toonsterwu wrote: Much as I am not against tanking 2013 to try and get Rodon (assuming Rodon stays ... awesome), I'm not for it either. Two horrendous seasons in a row would really suck.

Would? The Cubs were 71-91 two years ago and 75-87 before then. We've already seen two horrendous seasons in a row.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am

I mentioned Keppinger as an option on Saturday. As others have posted the Valbuena/Stewart/Vitters/Lake combo doesn't exactly make you feel that 3B is a set position for 2013. He should be reasonably priced and fill a needed role. Also, he's an option to be trade bait t the deadline, so I don't see any downside to signing him.

Return to “Transactions”