North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 am 
Online
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 33737
Location: Chicago
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Three teams that had been aggressive on Jeff Keppinger before he broke his leg were the Cubs, Diamondbacks and Rays.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Club evaluators were aware of Jeff Keppinger's leg injury, and don't consider it serious enough to deter them. Teams bidding: TB, AZ, CHC.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs were aggressive after Keppinger before inju
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am 
Online
5-Time All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Posts: 8204
When did he break his leg?

_________________
Screw Pitchers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs were aggressive after Keppinger before inju
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am 
Online
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 33737
Location: Chicago
Cubswin11 wrote:
When did he break his leg?


http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... ll-at-home

Quote:
Primed to capitalize on a breakout 2012 season in which he hit a career-high .325, the free agent infielder recently suffered a break in his right fibula tripping down some stairs at his house. The break, described as a small one in the calf by major-league sources, has been repaired surgically. He is at home recuperating.

Keppinger is said by sources to hope to be ready by mid-January and certainly by the start of spring training. Interested teams, aware of the injury, have been perusing medical reports. Keppinger's agent Keith Grunewald has been said to be very transparent about the injury, though Grunewald declined to comment to CBSSports.com.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am 
Online
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 33737
Location: Chicago
Maybe a good platoon partner at 3B with a Chavez or Stewart?

Actually, scratch platooning him with Stewart.

_________________
Image


Last edited by David on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am 
Offline
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Posts: 13782
He broke it within the last week or so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Posts: 36044
Location: Naperville, IL
Fine, replace Youk with Keppinger in my offseason plan. Just get the rest done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 am 
Online
5-Time All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Posts: 8204
That really sounds like nothing serious at all. He'd be a pretty good addition to platoon at 3B with someone and provide a backup option for all the IF positions and possibly be an emergency OF as well. He's a career .333/.376/.487 (.864 OPS) against lefties, btw.

_________________
Screw Pitchers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 am 
Offline
Formerly West Side Rooter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 23855
Location: Baseball Hell
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

_________________
Chicago Club has gone back on us. Please Send Expenses. Am Broke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 am 
Online
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 33737
Location: Chicago
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.


I should stop clicking Display this post.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 am 
Offline
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:51 pm
Posts: 13803
Location: PSU @ University Park/State College
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.

_________________
formerly known as PriorPower

Penn State Class of 2010

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs were aggressive after Keppinger before inju
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43745
David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
When did he break his leg?


http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... ll-at-home

Quote:
Primed to capitalize on a breakout 2012 season in which he hit a career-high .325, the free agent infielder recently suffered a break in his right fibula tripping down some stairs at his house. The break, described as a small one in the calf by major-league sources, has been repaired surgically. He is at home recuperating.

Keppinger is said by sources to hope to be ready by mid-January and certainly by the start of spring training. Interested teams, aware of the injury, have been perusing medical reports. Keppinger's agent Keith Grunewald has been said to be very transparent about the injury, though Grunewald declined to comment to CBSSports.com.


So he's a heavy drinker, I like it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:51 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43745
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... Career&t=b

Somebody explain to me how he has fewer PA vs LHP than he has vs LH starters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 am 
Online
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 33737
Location: Chicago
jersey cubs fan wrote:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=keppije01&year=Career&t=b

Somebody explain to me how he has fewer PA vs LHP than he has vs LH starters.


Quote:
vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.


Right below the stat... IDIOT

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:03 pm
Posts: 2679
Location: Merced, CA
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.


Do you post stuff like this just to prove that it is possible to have the most stupid comment in every thread?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 am 
Offline
Formerly West Side Rooter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 23855
Location: Baseball Hell
Post Count Padder wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.


My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.

_________________
Chicago Club has gone back on us. Please Send Expenses. Am Broke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43745
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=keppije01&year=Career&t=b

Somebody explain to me how he has fewer PA vs LHP than he has vs LH starters.


Quote:
vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.


Right below the stat... IDIOT

still dont' get it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 am 
Online
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:23 am
Posts: 45187
Location: Greater Chicagoland
You mentioned Valbuena, 3 minor leaguers who shouldn't start the season on the MLB roster, and Stewart, who is LH like Valbuena and coming off a horrible injury plagued season. Pursuing a RH backup IF that has 3B as their primary position is exactly what they should be doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm
Posts: 1456
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.


My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.



Two words: Paul Maholm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:03 pm
Posts: 1947
Location: New York, NY
jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=keppije01&year=Career&t=b

Somebody explain to me how he has fewer PA vs LHP than he has vs LH starters.


Quote:
vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.


Right below the stat... IDIOT

still dont' get it


Read it one more time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:10 am
Posts: 3354
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.


My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.


I don't see the problem with a Keppinger addition. I have my doubts we land him, but maybe we can offer a better shot at everyday PT (Chris Johnson hit well enough down the stretch for Arizona).

Here's the thing. Vitters/Lake aren't ready. Watkins shouldn't be at 3rd. That leaves last year's two options, but Stewart struggled and seems to be on the outs with the club. Valbuena is more of a utility or platoon type. While it's not that important, I think there still is some significance to providing some positive atmosphere/experience for our prime youngsters, Castro/Rizzo, and adding Keppinger can help in the short term. Furthermore, Keppinger is the type of guy that you could move at the deadline, if one of the above is ready for a look (or Villanueva).

Look, we have money to spend. Much as I am not against tanking 2013 to try and get Rodon (assuming Rodon stays ... awesome), I'm not for it either. Two horrendous seasons in a row would really suck. Keppinger doesn't mean that we really give up our shot at a high pick in 2014, but it could make the season a bit more enjoyable at the start, give them some flexibility, offer them a mid-season trade asset, and the cost is what? Money that we have to burn? Don't see a problem with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am 
Offline
Formerly West Side Rooter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 23855
Location: Baseball Hell
scarey wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.


My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.



Two words: Paul Maholm.


Maholm was the opposite. Former top prospect with some degree of big league success and signed to a bargain bin price due to injury. Keppinger has had a respectable career as a utility guy and coming off of a career season, so he's likely to get a 2-3 year deal, certainly more than he'd have received after any other season in his career.

_________________
Chicago Club has gone back on us. Please Send Expenses. Am Broke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 am 
Offline
Licks Butts
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Posts: 46736
Location: Lincoln Park
Guys, he would have been totally cool with it if they were "lackadaisically appraising" or something, because that totally validates his point which makes all kinds of sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am 
Offline
5-Time All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:41 pm
Posts: 8261
Location: Chicago
Let the Rays resign him and then we trade a bucket of balls to them for Ryan Roberts.

_________________
KING OF THE VWR

"I feel better now, I know I'm not going to die. That's too bad for my family. They thought they were going to be rich without doing anything.'' -Ozzie Guillen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43745
toonsterwu wrote:
Much as I am not against tanking 2013 to try and get Rodon (assuming Rodon stays ... awesome), I'm not for it either. Two horrendous seasons in a row would really suck.


Would? The Cubs were 71-91 two years ago and 75-87 before then. We've already seen two horrendous seasons in a row.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am 
Offline
5-Time All-Star

Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:32 pm
Posts: 6027
I mentioned Keppinger as an option on Saturday. As others have posted the Valbuena/Stewart/Vitters/Lake combo doesn't exactly make you feel that 3B is a set position for 2013. He should be reasonably priced and fill a needed role. Also, he's an option to be trade bait t the deadline, so I don't see any downside to signing him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group