North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 am 
Hall of Fame

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Three teams that had been aggressive on Jeff Keppinger before he broke his leg were the Cubs, Diamondbacks and Rays.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Club evaluators were aware of Jeff Keppinger's leg injury, and don't consider it serious enough to deter them. Teams bidding: TB, AZ, CHC.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs were aggressive after Keppinger before inju
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am 
5-Time All-Star

When did he break his leg?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am 
Hall of Fame

Cubswin11 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... ll-at-home

Quote:
Primed to capitalize on a breakout 2012 season in which he hit a career-high .325, the free agent infielder recently suffered a break in his right fibula tripping down some stairs at his house. The break, described as a small one in the calf by major-league sources, has been repaired surgically. He is at home recuperating.

Keppinger is said by sources to hope to be ready by mid-January and certainly by the start of spring training. Interested teams, aware of the injury, have been perusing medical reports. Keppinger's agent Keith Grunewald has been said to be very transparent about the injury, though Grunewald declined to comment to CBSSports.com.

Post subject: Re: Olney - Cubs aggressive after Keppinger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am 
Hall of Fame

Maybe a good platoon partner at 3B with a Chavez or Stewart?

Actually, scratch platooning him with Stewart.

Last edited by David on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am 
Superstar

He broke it within the last week or so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 am 
Hall of Fame

Fine, replace Youk with Keppinger in my offseason plan. Just get the rest done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 am 
5-Time All-Star

That really sounds like nothing serious at all. He'd be a pretty good addition to platoon at 3B with someone and provide a backup option for all the IF positions and possibly be an emergency OF as well. He's a career .333/.376/.487 (.864 OPS) against lefties, btw.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 am 
Formerly West Side Rooter

Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 am 
Hall of Fame

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Oh good, we're continuing Hendry's quest to find his next Mark DeRosa. Offering a multi year deal for a career journeyman utility middle infielder coming off of a career season couldn't possibly end poorly.

I should stop clicking Display this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 am 
Superstar

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.

Penn State Class of 2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:50 am 
Hall of Fame

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... ll-at-home

Quote:
Primed to capitalize on a breakout 2012 season in which he hit a career-high .325, the free agent infielder recently suffered a break in his right fibula tripping down some stairs at his house. The break, described as a small one in the calf by major-league sources, has been repaired surgically. He is at home recuperating.

Keppinger is said by sources to hope to be ready by mid-January and certainly by the start of spring training. Interested teams, aware of the injury, have been perusing medical reports. Keppinger's agent Keith Grunewald has been said to be very transparent about the injury, though Grunewald declined to comment to CBSSports.com.

So he's a heavy drinker, I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:51 am 
Hall of Fame

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... Career&t=b

Somebody explain to me how he has fewer PA vs LHP than he has vs LH starters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 am 
Hall of Fame

jersey cubs fan wrote:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=keppije01&year=Career&t=b

Quote:
vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.

Right below the stat... IDIOT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am 
All-Star

Do you post stuff like this just to prove that it is possible to have the most stupid comment in every thread?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 am 

Post Count Padder wrote:

I don't have a problem with it, depending on the terms of the deal. Hes a decent hitter and it wasn't his only good season. He adds depth and versatility. He's a better Jeff Baker.

My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 am 
Hall of Fame

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=keppije01&year=Career&t=b

Quote:
vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.

still dont' get it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 am 
Hall of Fame

You mentioned Valbuena, 3 minor leaguers who shouldn't start the season on the MLB roster, and Stewart, who is LH like Valbuena and coming off a horrible injury plagued season. Pursuing a RH backup IF that has 3B as their primary position is exactly what they should be doing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am 
All-Star

Post Count Padder wrote:

My problem isn't with the Keppinger part so much as the aggressively pursuing part. We have Stewart, Vitters, Watkins, Valbuena, and Lake as options to round out the infield. If we we're a few pieces away from contention, then I'd understand paying a bit more for a veteran utility guy or backup plan for 3rd. In the current state of this team, I don't get why they wouldn't rather autition what they have. The exception would be if they have a fish on the line that's willing to overpay for Barney.

Two words: Paul Maholm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am 
All-Star

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Quote:

still dont' get it

Read it one more time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am 
All-Star

Post Count Padder wrote:

I don't see the problem with a Keppinger addition. I have my doubts we land him, but maybe we can offer a better shot at everyday PT (Chris Johnson hit well enough down the stretch for Arizona).

Here's the thing. Vitters/Lake aren't ready. Watkins shouldn't be at 3rd. That leaves last year's two options, but Stewart struggled and seems to be on the outs with the club. Valbuena is more of a utility or platoon type. While it's not that important, I think there still is some significance to providing some positive atmosphere/experience for our prime youngsters, Castro/Rizzo, and adding Keppinger can help in the short term. Furthermore, Keppinger is the type of guy that you could move at the deadline, if one of the above is ready for a look (or Villanueva).

Look, we have money to spend. Much as I am not against tanking 2013 to try and get Rodon (assuming Rodon stays ... awesome), I'm not for it either. Two horrendous seasons in a row would really suck. Keppinger doesn't mean that we really give up our shot at a high pick in 2014, but it could make the season a bit more enjoyable at the start, give them some flexibility, offer them a mid-season trade asset, and the cost is what? Money that we have to burn? Don't see a problem with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am 

scarey wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:

Two words: Paul Maholm.

Maholm was the opposite. Former top prospect with some degree of big league success and signed to a bargain bin price due to injury. Keppinger has had a respectable career as a utility guy and coming off of a career season, so he's likely to get a 2-3 year deal, certainly more than he'd have received after any other season in his career.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:51 am 
Licks Butts

Guys, he would have been totally cool with it if they were "lackadaisically appraising" or something, because that totally validates his point which makes all kinds of sense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am 
5-Time All-Star

Let the Rays resign him and then we trade a bucket of balls to them for Ryan Roberts.

"I feel better now, I know I'm not going to die. That's too bad for my family. They thought they were going to be rich without doing anything.'' -Ozzie Guillen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am 
Hall of Fame

toonsterwu wrote:
Much as I am not against tanking 2013 to try and get Rodon (assuming Rodon stays ... awesome), I'm not for it either. Two horrendous seasons in a row would really suck.

Would? The Cubs were 71-91 two years ago and 75-87 before then. We've already seen two horrendous seasons in a row.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am 
5-Time All-Star

I mentioned Keppinger as an option on Saturday. As others have posted the Valbuena/Stewart/Vitters/Lake combo doesn't exactly make you feel that 3B is a set position for 2013. He should be reasonably priced and fill a needed role. Also, he's an option to be trade bait t the deadline, so I don't see any downside to signing him.

google adsense
Post details