The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

Twins trade Denard Span to Washington for Alex Meyer

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Twins trade Denard Span to Washington for Alex Meyer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:09 pm

@NationalsPR The #Nationals today acquired OF Denard Span from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for minor league RHP Alex Meyer.

Nice move for the Nationals. I'd trade a good low level pitching prospect to have Span at 2/12 with an option for 3/21.

nilodnayr
5-Time All-Star

Re: Twins trade Denard Span to Washington for Alex Meyer

Postby nilodnayr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
@NationalsPR The #Nationals today acquired OF Denard Span from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for minor league RHP Alex Meyer.

Nice move for the Nationals. I'd trade a good low level pitching prospect to have Span at 2/12 with an option for 3/21.

...if we were planning on competing in the next few years.
KING OF THE VWR

"I feel better now, I know I'm not going to die. That's too bad for my family. They thought they were going to be rich without doing anything.'' -Ozzie Guillen

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Honestly, I feel like this is a nice move for both sides. Washington gets a good defensive CF and a top of the order hitter for a young, far away arm. It gives them the flexibility to not overpay LaRoche (or to over-pay him and deal Morse).

Twins badly need an infusion of young talent, and Meyer is a good gamble. I know a lot of people think he's risky, and I do too, but he's a good, high upside arm, and for Span ... I like it.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 pm

nilodnayr wrote:

I'm taking the seemingly complete lack of interest in Upton and Span as a sign the front office might be more hopeful in Brett Jackson's future than I had assumed.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Rob wrote:
nilodnayr wrote:

I'm taking the seemingly complete lack of interest in Upton and Span as a sign the front office might be more hopeful in Brett Jackson's future than I had assumed.

Honestly, and I still like Brett enough, I'm taking it as they weren't going to spend the dough on a guy when they likely won't compete for the playoffs in a the next year or two and that they weren't going to give up a high quality arm for a stopgap CF, which I agree with.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Rob wrote:I'm taking the seemingly complete lack of interest in Upton and Span as a sign the front office might be more hopeful in Brett Jackson's future than I had assumed.

Or that they just don't care.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
Rob wrote:I'm taking the seemingly complete lack of interest in Upton and Span as a sign the front office might be more hopeful in Brett Jackson's future than I had assumed.

lazy, even for you

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Treymon wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:

lazy, even for you

You have no idea the depths of my potential for laziness.

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm

toonsterwu wrote:
Rob wrote:
nilodnayr wrote:

Honestly, and I still like Brett enough, I'm taking it as they weren't going to spend the dough on a guy when they likely won't compete for the playoffs in a the next year or two and that they weren't going to give up a high quality arm for a stopgap CF, which I agree with.

Exactly correct...why pay for BJ Upton when his best years will be behind him when we're ready to compete? Like it or not, that's the front office new MO. And I'm all for it.
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Because the Cubs not being "ready to compete" by the start of 2014 is [expletive] inexcusable.

Return to “Transactions”