The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

The 2012 Offseason Thread

User avatar
ctcf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23596
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:33 am
Location: Derplyn
Contact:
Status: Offline

The 2012 Offseason Thread

Postby ctcf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 am

I believe we had one last year and figured I'd put one up here for the rumors that will likely start swirling tomorrow. Here's hoping we see something good.
"As Twitter user @Texasbound3 said, I wish the Dodgers could sweep them in one game, so that the world can move on from Cardinals Nation's unending love affair with itself."

User avatar
ctcf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23596
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:33 am
Location: Derplyn
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby ctcf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 am

Semi-related, so I will leave this here:

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi
File this away for Thursday: Exec tells me Rule 5 class strong this year, potential impact arms and bats. "One of the best I've seen."
"As Twitter user @Texasbound3 said, I wish the Dodgers could sweep them in one game, so that the world can move on from Cardinals Nation's unending love affair with itself."

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 29773
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 am

ctcf wrote:Semi-related, so I will leave this here:

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi
File this away for Thursday: Exec tells me Rule 5 class strong this year, potential impact arms and bats. "One of the best I've seen."


Definitely seems that way. Seems like there's maybe half-a-dozen guys as good as the best ones last year.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14220
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby davell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 am

I'm putting my money on Josh Fields.

User avatar
Slide Castro Slide
Formerly West Side Rooter
Posts: 24171
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Baseball Hell
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Slide Castro Slide » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm

@DKnobler: Braves still looking for leadoff hitter. Fredi says probably Prado or Simmons if they don't find one. Need LF/3B; Prado can play either.


Now there's a nice option for Soriano. Obviously for the LF part, not the lead off. Braves don't seem to give out too many big contracts, certainly not two in one season. Soriano could be a good fit for them in LF if we eat enough salary, and they have plenty to offer. Delgado anyone? Just make sure Soriano's not napping when it goes down.

User avatar
Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
@DKnobler: Braves still looking for leadoff hitter. Fredi says probably Prado or Simmons if they don't find one. Need LF/3B; Prado can play either.


Now there's a nice option for Soriano. Obviously for the LF part, not the lead off. Braves don't seem to give out too many big contracts, certainly not two in one season. Soriano could be a good fit for them in LF if we eat enough salary, and they have plenty to offer. Delgado anyone? Just make sure Soriano's not napping when it goes down.

Wonder if they'd be interested in Dejesus for LF/lead off role. Obviously he's cheaper than Soriano, and we should be able to get an okay prospect for him (especially if we pay some or all of his salary). A Delgado type prospect might be a bit much to ask for unless we eat like all of Dejesus' salary and offer another prospect or something
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30891
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 5:04 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby rawaction » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:
@DKnobler: Braves still looking for leadoff hitter. Fredi says probably Prado or Simmons if they don't find one. Need LF/3B; Prado can play either.


Now there's a nice option for Soriano. Obviously for the LF part, not the lead off. Braves don't seem to give out too many big contracts, certainly not two in one season. Soriano could be a good fit for them in LF if we eat enough salary, and they have plenty to offer. Delgado anyone? Just make sure Soriano's not napping when it goes down.

Wonder if they'd be interested in Dejesus for LF/lead off role. Obviously he's cheaper than Soriano, and we should be able to get an okay prospect for him (especially if we pay some or all of his salary). A Delgado type prospect might be a bit much to ask for unless we eat like all of Dejesus' salary and offer another prospect or something


I'd think they'd be interested in DeJesus. Pretty good fit for them.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14220
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby davell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 pm

They dealt Hanson already. Right now, they've got Medlen, Hudson, Minor, Maholm, and Delgado/Teheran. I don't see them dealing anymore SP. Beachy comes back during the season and they'll be able to. But for now, Graham or Gilmartin seem like their only SP trade chips to me.

User avatar
Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

davell wrote:They dealt Hanson already. Right now, they've got Medlen, Hudson, Minor, Maholm, and Delgado/Teheran. I don't see them dealing anymore SP. Beachy comes back during the season and they'll be able to. But for now, Graham or Gilmartin seem like their only SP trade chips to me.

Agreed, you think they'd have interest in Wood? Granted the upside isn't there with Wood as there is in Delgado/Teheran but he gives them a safer bet to at least have a little bit above average season and pitch 200ish innings. Maybe they would value having a little more certainty at the #5 spot as they are definitely going to be in contention this year. Wood and Dejesus (and pay some of the money they are owed) for Delgado or Teheran?


Also what pick(s) do we have in the Rule 5?
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
ctcf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23596
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:33 am
Location: Derplyn
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby ctcf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:They dealt Hanson already. Right now, they've got Medlen, Hudson, Minor, Maholm, and Delgado/Teheran. I don't see them dealing anymore SP. Beachy comes back during the season and they'll be able to. But for now, Graham or Gilmartin seem like their only SP trade chips to me.

Agreed, you think they'd have interest in Wood? Granted the upside isn't there with Wood as there is in Delgado/Teheran but he gives them a safer bet to at least have a little bit above average season and pitch 200ish innings. Maybe they would value having a little more certainty at the #5 spot as they are definitely going to be in contention this year. Wood and Dejesus (and pay some of the money they are owed) for Delgado or Teheran?


Also what pick(s) do we have in the Rule 5?


Cubs are picking 2nd overall, just like in the real draft
"As Twitter user @Texasbound3 said, I wish the Dodgers could sweep them in one game, so that the world can move on from Cardinals Nation's unending love affair with itself."

davell
Superstar
Posts: 14220
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby davell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I thought about Wood to the Braves, but I kind of doubt they really want 3 lefties in their rotation. Maybe Minor would be the guy they'd possibly trade?

User avatar
Slide Castro Slide
Formerly West Side Rooter
Posts: 24171
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Baseball Hell
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Slide Castro Slide » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm

davell wrote:They dealt Hanson already. Right now, they've got Medlen, Hudson, Minor, Maholm, and Delgado/Teheran. I don't see them dealing anymore SP. Beachy comes back during the season and they'll be able to. But for now, Graham or Gilmartin seem like their only SP trade chips to me.


The Braves SP depth chart is as follows:

Medlen: solid reliever who was put in the rotation and looked like an ace for half a season. Could be a keeper, could be a sell high candidate. If the latter is true, could be a match.

Hudson: had a great career, and still going strong, but he'll be 38 in July, and the engine could drop out any time. As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.

Maholm: if he puts together a strong season, he could be looking at a nice 3-4 year deal, and they'll likely let someone else give it to him: likely short term.

Then there's Minor, Beachy, Delgado, and Teharen. All young. All high ceiling. This could be their future 1-4, and a good one for years. Then again, they could trade 1-2 for bats and produce more stud SP's, as the Braves always seem to do.

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 11865
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby The Logan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Slide Castro Slide wrote:As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.


Why even bring up the fact he used to play for the A's? He hasn't pitched for them since the end of a totally different era of baseball. And his injury history has one serious blemish on it: a TJS from 2008-2009, which he recovered from perfectly fine. If the Braves want to get rid of Hudson it's because he's old and expensive, not because he's got any serious injuries, and particularly none that he developed playing in Oakland.
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:45 am

Loney to the Rays for about $2mm on a 1 year deal. He's been pretty bad the last few years, when he first came up I really liked him. Thought he could've been a lefthanded Derrek Lee.
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
RynoRules
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9729
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:35 am
Location: Free Cities
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby RynoRules » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Loney to the Rays for about $2mm on a 1 year deal. He's been pretty bad the last few years, when he first came up I really liked him. Thought he could've been a lefthanded Derrek Lee.


Very smart, low-risk move. Get him back to 2011 level of production and you have a 2.5 WAR player for $2 mill. You can maximize his value by platooning - Loney has a nearly .800 OPS for his career against RH pitching. Rays' front office continues to impress.

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37886
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 am

Red Sox Close To Deal With Mike Napoli
By Luke Adams [December 3, 2012 at 9:38am CST]
The Red Sox are closing in on an agreement with Mike Napoli, according to WEEI.com's Rob Bradford. Bradford reports that the deal would likely be for three years. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe had reported earlier this morning that the Sox were "working hard" to land Napoli (Twitter link).
Image

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37886
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 am

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe Haven't heard the numbers on Napoli yet. But sounds like #RedSox went larger $$ for 3 years to avoid a 4-year deal
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56502
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 am

The Logan wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.


Why even bring up the fact he used to play for the A's? He hasn't pitched for them since the end of a totally different era of baseball. And his injury history has one serious blemish on it: a TJS from 2008-2009, which he recovered from perfectly fine. If the Braves want to get rid of Hudson it's because he's old and expensive, not because he's got any serious injuries, and particularly none that he developed playing in Oakland.


As with most ex-Cardinal pitchers, you have to worry about Haren dying unexpectedly
Dare to dream....
Image

User avatar
Castro's Spray Chart
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 8027
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: the REAL chicago
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Castro's Spray Chart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 am

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.


Why even bring up the fact he used to play for the A's? He hasn't pitched for them since the end of a totally different era of baseball. And his injury history has one serious blemish on it: a TJS from 2008-2009, which he recovered from perfectly fine. If the Braves want to get rid of Hudson it's because he's old and expensive, not because he's got any serious injuries, and particularly none that he developed playing in Oakland.


As with most ex-Cardinal pitchers, you have to worry about Haren dying unexpectedly


hahahahahaha
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37886
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 am

Yea, that was extremely well played. Big ups to UMFan.
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 49640
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 am

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.


Why even bring up the fact he used to play for the A's? He hasn't pitched for them since the end of a totally different era of baseball. And his injury history has one serious blemish on it: a TJS from 2008-2009, which he recovered from perfectly fine. If the Braves want to get rid of Hudson it's because he's old and expensive, not because he's got any serious injuries, and particularly none that he developed playing in Oakland.


As with most ex-Cardinal pitchers, you have to worry about Haren dying unexpectedly


Crushed.
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 am

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Slide Castro Slide wrote:As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.


Why even bring up the fact he used to play for the A's? He hasn't pitched for them since the end of a totally different era of baseball. And his injury history has one serious blemish on it: a TJS from 2008-2009, which he recovered from perfectly fine. If the Braves want to get rid of Hudson it's because he's old and expensive, not because he's got any serious injuries, and particularly none that he developed playing in Oakland.


As with most ex-Cardinal pitchers, you have to worry about Haren dying unexpectedly

:hello: =D>
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37886
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 am

3 years $39M for Napoli
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 am

David wrote:3 years $39M for Napoli

What exactly are the Red Sox trying to do?
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37886
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline

Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:3 years $39M for Napoli

What exactly are the Red Sox trying to do?


Improve their team?
Image


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abedogg34 and 2 guests