North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1877 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: The 2012 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 am 
Hall of Fame

I believe we had one last year and figured I'd put one up here for the rumors that will likely start swirling tomorrow. Here's hoping we see something good.

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: The 2012 Winter Meetings Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 am 
Hall of Fame

Semi-related, so I will leave this here:

Quote:
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi
File this away for Thursday: Exec tells me Rule 5 class strong this year, potential impact arms and bats. "One of the best I've seen."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 am 
Kyle in disguise

ctcf wrote:
Semi-related, so I will leave this here:

Quote:
Jon Morosi @jonmorosi
File this away for Thursday: Exec tells me Rule 5 class strong this year, potential impact arms and bats. "One of the best I've seen."

Definitely seems that way. Seems like there's maybe half-a-dozen guys as good as the best ones last year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 am 
Superstar

I'm putting my money on Josh Fields.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

Quote:
@DKnobler: Braves still looking for leadoff hitter. Fredi says probably Prado or Simmons if they don't find one. Need LF/3B; Prado can play either.

Now there's a nice option for Soriano. Obviously for the LF part, not the lead off. Braves don't seem to give out too many big contracts, certainly not two in one season. Soriano could be a good fit for them in LF if we eat enough salary, and they have plenty to offer. Delgado anyone? Just make sure Soriano's not napping when it goes down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm 
5-Time All-Star

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
Quote:
@DKnobler: Braves still looking for leadoff hitter. Fredi says probably Prado or Simmons if they don't find one. Need LF/3B; Prado can play either.

Now there's a nice option for Soriano. Obviously for the LF part, not the lead off. Braves don't seem to give out too many big contracts, certainly not two in one season. Soriano could be a good fit for them in LF if we eat enough salary, and they have plenty to offer. Delgado anyone? Just make sure Soriano's not napping when it goes down.

Wonder if they'd be interested in Dejesus for LF/lead off role. Obviously he's cheaper than Soriano, and we should be able to get an okay prospect for him (especially if we pay some or all of his salary). A Delgado type prospect might be a bit much to ask for unless we eat like all of Dejesus' salary and offer another prospect or something

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:47 pm 
Hall of Fame

Cubswin11 wrote:
Quote:

Wonder if they'd be interested in Dejesus for LF/lead off role. Obviously he's cheaper than Soriano, and we should be able to get an okay prospect for him (especially if we pay some or all of his salary). A Delgado type prospect might be a bit much to ask for unless we eat like all of Dejesus' salary and offer another prospect or something

I'd think they'd be interested in DeJesus. Pretty good fit for them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 pm 
Superstar

They dealt Hanson already. Right now, they've got Medlen, Hudson, Minor, Maholm, and Delgado/Teheran. I don't see them dealing anymore SP. Beachy comes back during the season and they'll be able to. But for now, Graham or Gilmartin seem like their only SP trade chips to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm 
5-Time All-Star

davell wrote:
They dealt Hanson already. Right now, they've got Medlen, Hudson, Minor, Maholm, and Delgado/Teheran. I don't see them dealing anymore SP. Beachy comes back during the season and they'll be able to. But for now, Graham or Gilmartin seem like their only SP trade chips to me.

Agreed, you think they'd have interest in Wood? Granted the upside isn't there with Wood as there is in Delgado/Teheran but he gives them a safer bet to at least have a little bit above average season and pitch 200ish innings. Maybe they would value having a little more certainty at the #5 spot as they are definitely going to be in contention this year. Wood and Dejesus (and pay some of the money they are owed) for Delgado or Teheran?

Also what pick(s) do we have in the Rule 5?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm 
Hall of Fame

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:

Agreed, you think they'd have interest in Wood? Granted the upside isn't there with Wood as there is in Delgado/Teheran but he gives them a safer bet to at least have a little bit above average season and pitch 200ish innings. Maybe they would value having a little more certainty at the #5 spot as they are definitely going to be in contention this year. Wood and Dejesus (and pay some of the money they are owed) for Delgado or Teheran?

Also what pick(s) do we have in the Rule 5?

Cubs are picking 2nd overall, just like in the real draft

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm 
Superstar

I thought about Wood to the Braves, but I kind of doubt they really want 3 lefties in their rotation. Maybe Minor would be the guy they'd possibly trade?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

davell wrote:

The Braves SP depth chart is as follows:

Medlen: solid reliever who was put in the rotation and looked like an ace for half a season. Could be a keeper, could be a sell high candidate. If the latter is true, could be a match.

Hudson: had a great career, and still going strong, but he'll be 38 in July, and the engine could drop out any time. As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.

Maholm: if he puts together a strong season, he could be looking at a nice 3-4 year deal, and they'll likely let someone else give it to him: likely short term.

Then there's Minor, Beachy, Delgado, and Teharen. All young. All high ceiling. This could be their future 1-4, and a good one for years. Then again, they could trade 1-2 for bats and produce more stud SP's, as the Braves always seem to do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 pm 
Superstar

As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.

Why even bring up the fact he used to play for the A's? He hasn't pitched for them since the end of a totally different era of baseball. And his injury history has one serious blemish on it: a TJS from 2008-2009, which he recovered from perfectly fine. If the Braves want to get rid of Hudson it's because he's old and expensive, not because he's got any serious injuries, and particularly none that he developed playing in Oakland.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:45 am 
5-Time All-Star

Loney to the Rays for about $2mm on a 1 year deal. He's been pretty bad the last few years, when he first came up I really liked him. Thought he could've been a lefthanded Derrek Lee.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 am 
5-Time All-Star

Cubswin11 wrote:
Loney to the Rays for about $2mm on a 1 year deal. He's been pretty bad the last few years, when he first came up I really liked him. Thought he could've been a lefthanded Derrek Lee.

Very smart, low-risk move. Get him back to 2011 level of production and you have a 2.5 WAR player for $2 mill. You can maximize his value by platooning - Loney has a nearly .800 OPS for his career against RH pitching. Rays' front office continues to impress.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 am 
Hall of Fame

Red Sox Close To Deal With Mike Napoli
By Luke Adams [December 3, 2012 at 9:38am CST]
The Red Sox are closing in on an agreement with Mike Napoli, according to WEEI.com's Rob Bradford. Bradford reports that the deal would likely be for three years. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe had reported earlier this morning that the Sox were "working hard" to land Napoli (Twitter link).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 am 
Hall of Fame

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe Haven't heard the numbers on Napoli yet. But sounds like #RedSox went larger $$ for 3 years to avoid a 4-year deal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 am 
Inner-Circle HOF

The Logan wrote:
As is with most ex-A's pitchers, there's also the injury history: great for now, not in the future plans.

Why even bring up the fact he used to play for the A's? He hasn't pitched for them since the end of a totally different era of baseball. And his injury history has one serious blemish on it: a TJS from 2008-2009, which he recovered from perfectly fine. If the Braves want to get rid of Hudson it's because he's old and expensive, not because he's got any serious injuries, and particularly none that he developed playing in Oakland.

As with most ex-Cardinal pitchers, you have to worry about Haren dying unexpectedly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 am 
previously Beertown Cubbie

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:

As with most ex-Cardinal pitchers, you have to worry about Haren dying unexpectedly

hahahahahaha

2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 am 
Hall of Fame

Yea, that was extremely well played. Big ups to UMFan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 am 
Licks Butts

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:

Crushed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 am 
5-Time All-Star

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:

:hello: =D>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 am 
Hall of Fame

3 years $39M for Napoli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 am 
5-Time All-Star

David wrote:
3 years $39M for Napoli

What exactly are the Red Sox trying to do?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 am 
Hall of Fame

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:
3 years $39M for Napoli

What exactly are the Red Sox trying to do?

Improve their team?

google adsense
Post details
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1877 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76  Next