The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

Cubs sign Nate Schierholtz (1 yr/2.25 mil)

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Cubs sign Nate Schierholtz (1 yr/2.25 mil)

Postby Rondon Fan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Paul Sullivan ‏@PWSullivan

Cubs signed OF Nate Schierholtz to one-year deal, accd. to ESPN.

Yay, a signing!
Last edited by Rondon Fan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

David
Hall of Fame

Re: Cubs sign Nate Schierholtz

Postby David » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Weird, I thought I had heard he signed with the Yankees. Guess not.

Don't know much at all about him.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Decentish lefty part of a platoon.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 pm

davell wrote:Decentish lefty part of a platoon.

3 year splits vs RHP
.270/.334/.440 (625 AB)

.287/.360/.466 (178 AB)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 pm

My initial reaction is pretty meh if this is supposed to be the primary part of the RF platoon.

Defensive metrics don't seem to like him much. I guess it really matters if you think his last two years' vs.R splits (solid) are more important than his career totals (not that great).

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm

He's not that good of a player, but he ain't bad either. Appears to be setting up a potential Sappelt/Schierholtz platoon situation, my guess is in LF with Soriano gone. He has good numbers against RHP, but can't hit a LHP to save his life. Not a lot of power or speed. Actually him and Sappelt could be very similar players.

Epsteenie
Starter

Postby Epsteenie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm

@PWSullivan: Sources confirms ESPN report on Schierholtz to Cubs. Will play RF, with DeJesus in CF.

Ugh.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 pm

KyleJRM wrote:My initial reaction is pretty meh if this is supposed to be the primary part of the RF platoon.

Defensive metrics don't seem to like him much. I guess it really matters if you think his last two years' vs.R splits (solid) are more important than his career totals (not that great).

lol at wiki "Schierholtz is known for his particularly strong and accurate throwing arm, being better known for defensive rather than offensive skills."

Slide Castro Slide
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Slide Castro Slide » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Sounds like someone we can package with Feldman or Baker for someone's broken but high ceiling prospect in July.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Chances we can get an .800ish OPS out of RF out of him and Sappelt?

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:43 pm

David wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:My initial reaction is pretty meh if this is supposed to be the primary part of the RF platoon.

lol at wiki "Schierholtz is known for his particularly strong and accurate throwing arm, being better known for defensive rather than offensive skills."

I guess it's growing on me. If he can be solid defensively and the 3-year splits are accurate. I do love platoons...

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
David wrote:

I guess it's growing on me. If he can be solid defensively and the 3-year splits are accurate. I do love platoons...

Plus you might get to see your boy play a fairly significant role.

Butters
previously Cubbies75

Postby Butters » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Schierholtz gets $2.25M guaranteed big league deal plus $500K in incentives, source says.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Very excited about this. I got his name right trying to search for his Fangraphs page on the first guess.

Otherwise, this seems like an okay move. Schierholtz has largely been a league average OF when he's taken the field, he has a good defensive reputation, his value might be a little suppressed after foot injuries in 2011 and 2012, and if he overperforms he's still under team control for next season. Can't help but be disappointed if the plan is to have him and DeJesus play in the same outfield though. They could trade Soriano to make way for another, more longer term outfielder, but in doing so get rid of the one productive OF of the group.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:47 pm

David wrote:Chances we can get an .800ish OPS out of RF out of him and Sappelt?

I think it could reasonably happen. I think getting Schierholtz away from AT&T and all LH pitching can get him pretty close to an .800 OPS. Add Sappelt's ability against lefties and it's a possibility.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:48 pm

David wrote:Plus you might get to see your boy play a fairly significant role.

Soriano/DeJesus/Schierholtz (Sappelt/Campana) [Jackson]
???/Castro/Barney/Rizzo (Valbuena/????)
Castillo (Navarro) [Clevenger]

Garza/Samardzija/Baker/Feldman/Wood [Vizcaino]
Marmol/Fujikawa/Camp/Russell/Iowa Conga Line.

We might be getting close to done, right?

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Very excited about this. I got his name right trying to search for his Fangraphs page on the first guess.

Otherwise, this seems like an okay move. Schierholtz has largely been a league average OF when he's taken the field, he has a good defensive reputation, his value might be a little suppressed after foot injuries in 2011 and 2012, and if he overperforms he's still under team control for next season. Can't help but be disappointed if the plan is to have him and DeJesus play in the same outfield though. They could trade Soriano to make way for another, more longer term outfielder, but in doing so get rid of the one productive OF of the group.

Yeah, if he and DeJesus are in the same OF, the Cubs better keep Soriano and probably add some power at 3B.

pitchcs
All-Star

Re: Cubs sign Nate Schierholtz (1 yr/2.25 mil)

Postby pitchcs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 pm

You'd think so, but I have this feeling they have 1 big move up their sleeve.
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

mookie
All-Star

Postby mookie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Ian Stewart power!

Epsteenie
Starter

Postby Epsteenie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 pm

ABTY mentioned early this morning a possible Schierholtz/Franceour platoon. And he just said we have been in contact with KC a couple of times today. And I'm fully expecting Mark Reynolds at 3rd base now. Ugh.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:55 pm

pitchcs wrote:You'd think so, but I have this feeling they have 1 big move up their sleeve.

We've heard about the rumored young players for young players type deals being discussed, but I would think something would have happened on that front already. I'm guessing Bourn isn't an option anymore. 3B has nobody left to spend money on. I don't see any big moves coming, unless they can pull off another Rizzo/Cashner type trade.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:56 pm

rawaction wrote:
pitchcs wrote:You'd think so, but I have this feeling they have 1 big move up their sleeve.

We've heard about the rumored young players for young players type deals being discussed, but I would think something would have happened on that front already. I'm guessing Bourn isn't an option anymore. 3B has nobody left to spend money on. I don't see any big moves coming, unless they can pull off another Rizzo/Cashner type trade.

I wonder if we might be spending the money on one more pitcher.

As it is right now, filling out the roster with some million-dollar veterans *might* get us to $90 million.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Epsteenie wrote:ABTY mentioned early this morning a possible Schierholtz/Franceour platoon. And he just said we have been in contact with KC a couple of times today. And I'm fully expecting Mark Reynolds at 3rd base now. Ugh.

I'd be shocked by that because he's so bad at 3rd defensively. In fact, I'd go so far as to say no way that happens.
I like beer.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Not knowing when this or the Fujikawawa signings become official, but'd put the 40 man at 39. Leads me to believe we'll sell or trade(better be this one) the Rule 5 pick tomorrow. Even then, needing an everyday 3B, likely a bullpen arm or two, probably another SP too- we've probably got a trade coming soon. No roster flexibilityty at all right now. Maybe DFA Clevenger, Campana, or Lendy Castillo?

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
rawaction wrote:

I wonder if we might be spending the money on one more pitcher.

As it is right now, filling out the roster with some million-dollar veterans *might* get us to $90 million.

Wishful thinking? Although I'm all for the current model, I would still be excited with a signing.

I would LOVE 1 more Bullpen arm. Oh, and 1 more hitter.
Last edited by pitchcs on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

Return to “Transactions”