North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brian Wilson?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm 
Role Player

Brian Wilson anyone? Lights out before the Tommy John. I'd love to take a flier. He's reportedly down to 5 teams from 10. No word on any of the teams yet. Thoughts?

google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Brian Wilson?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 pm 
Formerly Nuts&Gum

Normally I have zero problems when it comes to a player's personality or shtick or whatever, but [expletive] me, I [expletive] HATE this guy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:34 pm 
Superstar

ABTY mentioned there's basically no interest in Marmol currently. Can't see us adding Wilson, if we've got Marmol and Fujikawa.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 pm 
Formerly West Side Rooter

The Beach Boy or the pitcher? In either case, at the right price I'll take him. Marmol's on the last year of his deal, and if we could get Wilson on something with a low base salary, incentives, and team options, all the better. As for his personality, if he were on our side, I'd find it a lot more palatable, perhaps amusing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:06 am 
is ELL

SCS, I have to question your decision to sign the lead singer of the Beach Boys. Not as questionable as finding the pitcher amusing, but still

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 am 
All-Star

My overwhelming hate of his douchebaggery says no even though he logically could become a valuable trade piece.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:52 am 
5-Time All-Star

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
The Beach Boy or the pitcher? In either case, at the right price I'll take him. Marmol's on the last year of his deal, and if we could get Wilson on something with a low base salary, incentives, and team options, all the better. As for his personality, if he were on our side, I'd find it a lot more palatable, perhaps amusing.

It's hard to believe we could get him on a decent contract when he's got 5 teams interested in him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:08 am 

Backtobanks wrote:

It's hard to believe we could get him on a decent contract when he's got 5 teams interested in him.

The term "interested" is relative. It also depends on the root of the reports. If its the agent, if he called every team in baseball, and 5 expressed any degree of interest, be it on minor league or big league deals, he can then rightfully report that 5 teams are interested to work them against one another for the most lucrative deal possible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 am 

SouthSideRyan wrote:
SCS, I have to question your decision to sign the lead singer of the Beach Boys. Not as questionable as finding the pitcher amusing, but still

Hey, at least it would beat another Eddie Vedder song. As for antics, I think that the only guy I wouldn't be able to tolerate no matter how good he was for us is Jose Valverde.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:20 am 
5-Time All-Star

Backtobanks wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. But who are the 5 teams? Also, how does he define interested? In agent speak, "They didn't laugh then hang up"= interest.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:32 am 

biittner77 wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. But who are the 5 teams? Also, how does he define interested? In agent speak, "They didn't laugh then hang up"= interest.

I can't imagine a few teams not offering at least something heavy in incentives. However, what it takes me back to is the reports that the Dodgers and Angels were both interested in Fujikawa, making it seem like the price would get out of hand.

Post subject: Brian Wilson?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 pm 
All-Star

Nuts&Gum wrote:
Normally I have zero problems when it comes to a player's personality or shtick or whatever, but [expletive] me, I [expletive] HATE this guy.

My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:36 pm 
Formerly Nuts&Gum

SouthSideRyan wrote:

Hey, at least it would beat another Eddie Vedder song. As for antics, I think that the only guy I wouldn't be able to tolerate no matter how good he was for us is Jose Valverde.

[expletive], I love Valverede; that guy is actually emotionally imbalanced. Everything Wilson does is trying WAY too hard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm 
All-Star

If I can like Jim Edmonds during his time on the Cubs, I can like anybody.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:22 pm 
stats enthousiast

Geech wrote:
If I can like Jim Edmonds during his time on the Cubs, I can like anybody.

basically

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm 
Formerly Nuts&Gum

I still thought Edmonds was a hilariously mockable tool when he was on the Cubs; I just appreciated his ridiculous performance as well. That said, Edmonds seemingly can't help how lame he is. Wilson could stop being a jackass jerkoff in a heartbeat.

google adsense
Post details