Do You Like the Wilson/Avila for Candelario/Paredes Trade For The Cubs?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 48

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:01 pm

Let's try this again.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Do You Like the Wilson/Avila for Candelario/Paredes Trade For The Cubs?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:03 pm

can you be more specific? it sucks for the south bend cubs and iowa cubs, pretty good for the chicago cubs.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 pm

gonna put this one down as a no
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Yeah, I really want back that fat teenager who hit .217/.323/.348 in low-A after we traded him.
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm

i dont care about the guys we gave up, i care that the guy we got back has been a net negative and might not even make the playoff roster when the same pieces could have brought back someone who could throw a strike once or twice a week
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:40 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i dont care about the guys we gave up, i care that the guy we got back has been a net negative and might not even make the playoff roster when the same pieces could have brought back someone who could throw a strike once or twice a week

We also got back a guy who ended up being our starting catcher for a month while putting up a .257/.368/.432 line. And Wilson could come back next year and be good -- like he has been the rest of his career.

Obviously it hasn't worked out great, since Wilson suddenly became horrible. But I'm not quite ready to write it off as a bad trade.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:46 pm

He's a horsefeathering bum until he's not, just like the rest of them.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i dont care about the guys we gave up, i care that the guy we got back has been a net negative and might not even make the playoff roster when the same pieces could have brought back someone who could throw a strike once or twice a week

We also got back a guy who ended up being our starting catcher for a month while putting up a .257/.368/.432 line. And Wilson could come back next year and be good -- like he has been the rest of his career.

Obviously it hasn't worked out great, since Wilson suddenly became horrible. But I'm not quite ready to write it off as a bad trade.

yeah but there's no option for "ill hold off" so it's either good or bad, and it definitely hasn't been good.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

yeah but there's no option for "ill hold off" so it's either good or bad, and it definitely hasn't been good.

I get that Wilson was supposed to be the main piece here, but Avila has played really well in Contreras' absence, and being able to go into October (yes, we're making it) with those two instead of some generic terrible backup catcher (aka Victor Caratini) is pretty good. Yes, in hindsight we would have been better off taking any other pitcher from Detroit, but it's a not a total loss, and I'm fine penciling Wilson in as the 7th inning guy for 2018.
1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm

I seem to recall Avila hitting a walk-off two-run single and also hitting a 9th inning RBI triple to drive in the only run of a game. If the race stays this tight, his presence on the team after Willson went down looks pretty valuable.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Also with Heyward sucking hard again, Avila could potentially take his spot in the lineup once Willy comes back as Willy could shift to LF or RF to help boost the offense.

Justin Wilson is a gutless, choking bum of a pitcher though. No defense of him coming from me.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 pm

We were a baseball team in need of a left handed reliever and a backup catcher and we got both for Candelario who may or may not be an ok backup or below average starter and parades who is an odds on favorite to never make the major leagues.

Sucks that Wilson has sucked but its a good bet that will turn around before the contract expires. Avila became our starter, filled in admirably, and had several big or game winning hits for us. It was a good trade and we got the exact return that we needed.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:51 pm

Enn Tea wrote:

We were a baseball team in need of a left handed reliever and a backup catcher and we got both for Candelario who may or may not be an ok backup or below average starter and parades who is an odds on favorite to never make the major leagues.

Sucks that Wilson has sucked but its a good bet that will turn around before the contract expires. Avila became our starter, filled in admirably, and had several big or game winning hits for us. It was a good trade and we got the exact return that we needed.

this is an absurdly positive take for a backup catcher and a reliever with a 2 WHIP since he got here. Hell backup catchers are so easy to find that we managed to get a backup to our backup for free and he has a .850 OPS as a cub
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:29 am

I think this binary choice is too limiting. It's also too early to make a judgement call on this trade. We don't know what Candelario/Paredes will do or how impactful they'll be down the road. I think Avila could be a vital player for us in the playoffs. That said, J. Wilson sucks and I have no confidence in him.

It's early, but this trade doesn't look great right now...
0 x

Return to “Polls”