2018 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:46 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Also from McDaniel is that Denaburg and Cate have been shut down. Denaburg has biceps tendinitis, Cate's case is said to be precautionary.

I wonder wtheck has been going on with Kumar Rocker. No game tweets or random updates at all this month...Hopefully it helps get him to a Cubs pick.

----

I think this is a year the Cubs revisit the HS ranks for both a bat as well as an arm or two. Jordyn Adams got alot of praise at the NHSI and is one of the more toolsy and athletic HS players in the draft. I like Joe Gray Jr., this guy has those kind of tools but a more physical frame that I favor:

0 x
Spoiler: show

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
I wonder wtheck has been going on with Kumar Rocker. No game tweets or random updates at all this month...Hopefully it helps get him to a Cubs pick.

I couldn't find any tweets, but according to this, he at least pitched on Monday.

http://www.onlineathens.com/sports/20180410/high-school-sports-roundup
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:44 pm

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/far-too ... prospects/

More good stuff from Kiley on some top prep prospects:

Carter Stewart (he says he's the top prep arm now)
Mason Denaburg
Matthew Liberatore
Cole Winn
Connor Scott
Nolan Gorman
Brice Turang
Alek Thomas
Jordyn Adams
Joe Gray Jr
Triston Casas
Gunnar Hoglund
Cole Henry
Cory Acton
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/far-too-many-scouting-notes-on-prep-draft-prospects/

More good stuff from Kiley on some top prep prospects:

Carter Stewart (he says he's the top prep arm now)
Mason Denaburg
Matthew Liberatore
Cole Winn
Connor Scott
Nolan Gorman
Brice Turang
Alek Thomas
Jordyn Adams
Joe Gray Jr
Triston Casas
Gunnar Hoglund
Cole Henry
Cory Acton

Did Kiley just comp Connor Scott to Kyle Tucker, but with 70 speed thrown in? That's #1 overall material. I can't imagine he has the power potential that Tucker had/has.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 am

Hoglund might be growing on me. He reminds me of a watered down Greinke as a HSer. Simple and athletic delivery, fastball command, command and control with stuff (not as good as HS Greinke in either area but w/e), smart, two way prospect, Florida kid...

I think McDaniel's Florida focus is keeping guys like Torres Jr. and Hjelle more off radar than they should be. Torres might stack with any non Rocker or Hankins RH for me, he's basially Winn but his body got better rather than worse over the winter. I also don't agree on Stewart's arm action being clean, my heartgutinstinct says it's long and shouldery. He's clearly trying to imitate Verlander, great idea, but he lacks the twitch Verlander had in college (no clue what Verlander was like in HS). I'm also leery of HS curveballers, thanks Clint Everts and Chris Gruler, and even his velocity jump.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:23 am

54:1 k/bb

Is that good?

0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Hoglund might be growing on me. He reminds me of a watered down Greinke as a HSer. Simple and athletic delivery, fastball command, command and control with stuff (not as good as HS Greinke in either area but w/e), smart, two way prospect, Florida kid...

I think McDaniel's Florida focus is keeping guys like Torres Jr. and Hjelle more off radar than they should be. Torres might stack with any non Rocker or Hankins RH for me, he's basially Winn but his body got better rather than worse over the winter. I also don't agree on Stewart's arm action being clean, my heartgutinstinct says it's long and shouldery. He's clearly trying to imitate Verlander, great idea, but he lacks the twitch Verlander had in college (no clue what Verlander was like in HS). I'm also leery of HS curveballers, thanks Clint Everts and Chris Gruler, and even his velocity jump.

Hjelle is probably keeping himself off the radar. He's just a really boring prospect, other than that he looks like a giraffe out there on the mound. Low-90's fastball. No plus secondary, although the curve has flashed it at times. He doesn't even have any eye-popping performance numbers that stand out. Just boring all around.

I agree with you on being leery of prep arms that are curveball heavy. But then again, I'm leery of prep arms in general.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:Hjelle is probably keeping himself off the radar. He's just a really boring prospect, other than that he looks like a giraffe out there on the mound. Low-90's fastball. No plus secondary, although the curve has flashed it at times. He doesn't even have any eye-popping performance numbers that stand out. Just boring all around.

Oops, while I would disagree that Hjelle is boring turns out I mixed up prospects. The player I had in mind was Steve Hajjar.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:16 am

PG notes on Tristan Beck, Logan Gilbert, and a couple later round fodder arms (Jake Irvin isn't uninteresting for that):

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi ... icle=15078

Beck immediately catches attention with his long limbed, high waisted, and ultra-projectable 6-foot-4, 190-pound frame, and while he’s likely to gain strength at the next level, his athleticism and advanced arm speed already allow for a noteworthy arsenal. Beginning with his fastball, Beck opened and closed the game by bumping 94 mph and comfortably sat in the 91-93 range. And while the radar gun readings are nice, the ease of which he generates the velocity and the big plane he creates with solid extension out front are just as important in painting the bigger picture of Beck as a prospect.

It became commonplace as the game wore on for the ump to say “strike one” after nearly every first pitch of an at-bat as Beck time and time again located his fastball to either side of the plate, occasionally mixing in a get-me-over curveball with big depth. His heater offered solid running life to his arm side, and when he was painting the lower third of the strike zone several pitches were simply of the “good luck hitting that” variety. He continued to show the life when working to his glove side, though by the end of the outing the heater showed more sinking life when working in on lefthanded hitters, still proving to be an effective offering.

Of the three different secondaries Beck showed it was his curveball that he went to most often and at its best showed above average with potential for another bump on the scouting scale. Tunneling the pitch well with the same fast and loose arm stroke, Beck was able to add and subtract on the shape of the pitch as mentioned above, showing more depth in the mid-70s early in the count before showing a late, hard snapping version to put away hitters in the 78-80 mph band. His changeup is another pitch that flashed above average potential with late fading life down in the zone in the 82-85 mph range with a mimicked arm stroke and release point. Rounding out the arsenal was his slider, a pitch that offered a distinct difference in terms of shape and life, working mostly in the mid-80s with much shorter and tighter life through the zone.

Overall, the components for Beck are highly intriguing and he showed the ability to miss bats, punching out five while maintaining his delivery and arsenal throughout. He’s an alluring prospect who has been on the scene for a while and with continued success this spring should continue to solidify his standing come June.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:52 am

He has 8 HRs so far this year. His stats are very impressive. I think he's still in that late first round range.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm

BA wrote aboute their top 7 college LHPs. Kris Bubic is one of those guys that I believe fits the org and I found his bit promising:

4. Kris Bubic, Stanford: With righthander Tristan Beck sidelined by injury last season, Bubic stepped up to lead Stanford’s rotation. He continued to impress on the Cape, where he was named pitcher of the year. Bubic has a plus changeup that is one of the best in the class and a fastball that can get up to 94 mph—though it more typically sits 90-91. His stuff, size (6-foot-3, 220 pounds), pitchability and track record all have him trending up this spring.

The group was ranked:

McClanahan
Rolison
Cate
Bubic
Pilkington
Daniel Lynch - 6’4” long and loose arm from U of Virginia, hits the low 90s
John Rooney - 6’5” 225, plays Hofstra and from NY, they say he has a shot at 3 average or better pitchers

Not really a strong group...I really like Rolison, Bubic, and a healthy Cate
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Is being wary of Stanford arms still a thing? Was it an over-hyped thing in the past?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Is being wary of Stanford arms still a thing? Was it an over-hyped thing in the past?

Stanford bats, no clue on the pitchers
0 x

Bruno7481
All-Star

Postby Bruno7481 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:08 pm

The Cubs have been in to see Indiana prep SS Timmy Borden on multiple occasions this Spring, along with a slew of other teams as well.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:42 am

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:59 am

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen updated their draft board: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/updated ... -rankings/

1. Casey Mize
2. Nick Madrigal
3. Alec Bohm
4. Travis Swaggerty
5. Carter Steward
6. Shane McClanahan
7. Matthew Liberatore
8. Jarred Kelenic
9. Joey Bart
10. Connor Scott
11. Nolan Gorman
12. Kumar Rocker
13. Trevor Larnach
14. Ryan Rolison
15. Brady Singer.

Others who have been mentioned here:

18. Cole Winn
19. Ryan Weathers
22. Mike Vasil
23. Grayson Rodriguez
24. Jonathan India
27. Mason Denaburg
31. Ethan Hankins
33. Jordyn Adams
35. Tristan Beck
36. Cole Wilcox
41. Kris Bubic
43. Griffin Conine
48. Triston Casas
52. Gunnar Hoglund

Also of note:

We’ve noted the prep players whom we’ve heard will be a challenge to sign (Adams, Banfield, Denaburg, Hoglund, Kloffenstein, Rocker, Thomas, and Wilcox), although typically, with players ranked this high, all but one or two of will end up reaching an agreement with a club.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

And just an FYI for Tom, Kiley McDaniel is seeing Kumar Rocker tonight so you'll get your share of tweets.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:04 pm

12:37
Sharm: What does it take for Ethan Hankins to get into top 5 consideration?
12:41
Kiley McDaniel: That ship has sailed. I was commenting to a friend yesterday that I couldn’t imagine years ago that I’d see a 6’5 high school kid that’s still 17 hit 96 mph and not be impressed but that’s kinda where it is right now, given the expectations and what he’s done in the past. Someone may give him 15-20th overall money, I mean there were two GMs at his last game and another one at the game before that so teams are interested, but there’s so many prep arms in this class with less concerns and comparable strengths. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a good big leaguer or I’m not rooting for it. Seems like readers have a hard time processing guys rising/falling when they’ve heard a guy will be X for months over the winter/early spring.

Here’s your opening, Tom:

Pete: Can Vandy fans get their hopes up about Hankins coming to Nashville? Do any of the top guys have a chance to not sign?
1:16

Kiley McDaniel: He’s signing. Get your hopes up about Rocker and Banfield, there’s a chance on those.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Ooh yah, this FO loves Vandy recruits and would pay to land a talent as loud as Rocker or even Hankins (though I’m less of a fan, seems more Rick Porcello than what I think Rocker might be).
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:30 pm

What is the reference to “expectations and what he’s done in past” and he concerns about with Hankins? 6’5” 17 year old hitting mid 90s doesn’t seem like there’s too much concern other than just the general concerns about prep arms.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:What is the reference to “expectations and what he’s done in past” and he concerns about with Hankins? 6’5” 17 year old hitting mid 90s doesn’t seem like there’s too much concern other than just the general concerns about prep arms.

He had shoulder "fatigue" recently that knocked him out of a few starts and since he's returned, he hasn't been as good as he was before the injury, with his velocity fluctuating. Basically, he isn't meeting the expectations of his pre-injury past and there are too many other good, currently healthy prep arms for him to compete with.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:40 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:What is the reference to “expectations and what he’s done in past” and he concerns about with Hankins? 6’5” 17 year old hitting mid 90s doesn’t seem like there’s too much concern other than just the general concerns about prep arms.

He had shoulder "fatigue" recently that knocked him out of a few starts and since he's returned, he hasn't been as good as he was before the injury, with his velocity fluctuating. Basically, he isn't meeting the expectations of his pre-injury past and there are too many other good, currently healthy prep arms for him to compete with.

Got it, thanks. I kinda like hearing there's a lot of prep arms thought of so highly and hopefully they mostly stay healthy for the next 60 days or so up to the draft so they go early and more college guys/hitters are there for us to take.

Also are there any Cease or Giolito type HS guys who we know need TJS that would've been higher if not for it that could fall to us? Seems like the FO, but also the league in general, doesn't seem to overly think it is that big of a deal anymore other than the missed time. We've added Chatwood, Darvish, Morrow and Smyly all in the last year and obviously drafted Cease. I'd think it would be something we'd look at if the opportunity is there.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Also are there any Cease or Giolito type HS guys who we know need TJS that would've been higher if not for it that could fall to us? Seems like the FO, but also the league in general, doesn't seem to overly think it is that big of a deal anymore other than the missed time. We've added Chatwood, Darvish, Morrow and Smyly all in the last year and obviously drafted Cease. I'd think it would be something we'd look at if the opportunity is there.

Not that I know of but this is a pretty loaded HS arms class. Jonathan Childress...Steve Hajjar....Kloffenstein...some Tennessee LHP C. Jones that I forget but had some tools....Garrett McDaniels...Garret Wade....Mostly the first three but there's going to be some non-first guys who have some potential
1 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”