2018 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Regular Show
Starter

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 am

Some draft info from Klaw Chat:

Bucs666: Mr. Law, how signable is Kumar Rocker. I know that he is committed to Vanderbilt, but I was hoping that the Pirates would have a shot at him. Thank you.
Keith Law: I believe he is signable where he’s going to be drafted.

Jed: Has the quality of this year’s draft diminished in your mind after seeing most of the top guys fail to meet what was expected of them coming into the spring?
Keith Law: I think it is as deep as I thought in February, but the top ten is worse than I thought it would be.

Kevin: How far from the big leagues is Casey Mize?
Keith Law: If healthy, and we assume he doesn’t pitch at all this summer, I’d say by the All-Star Break next year.

Jacob: What kind of tools does Jarred Kelenic possess? I am trying to understand what kind of upside he could have and having difficulty.
Keith Law: So is everyone else, since he’s played something like two games outdoors so far. I don’t believe he has any 70 tools, but it’s a lot of above average – hit, field, throw, run – and the potential for above-average power.

Mike: If you had to guess, do you think Jordyn Adams will sign or will he end up at Carolina?
Keith Law: Carolina. My understanding from scouts is that he is committed to football. And there is no way I’m paying him seven figures to go get his brains scrambled every fall and spring.

Jacob: Joey Bart seems to be raking in terms of avg and power. Does his hit tool make the 50-55 grade and could his ability to call games combined with his tools mean he could be a fast riser through the minors?
Keith Law: I don’t think he has an average hit tool. He’s the best catching prospect in the class by a mile, though, so he’s going to go off the board pretty early, and I would guess he’s a two years to the majors guy.

Ryan: Which of the big Vanderbilt commits do you think have a decent (>30 percent) chance of coming to campus?
Keith Law: Austin Becker seems most likely. I don’t know what Hankins’ actual injury is at this point, but I could see him choosing Vandy over taking a fraction of the bonus he might have expected with a healthy spring.

Gilbert: Greyson Jenista did not make you updated top 50. What do you see that is keeping him from making that list?
Keith Law: He’s not very good.

Jason: Thanks for the chat. I’ve seen Kelenic mentioned as a possibility for the Tigers first overall. How bad would Mize’s medical have to be for the Tigers to turn in another direction?
Keith Law: A cold weather HS bat first overall, a kid who’ll play just a handful of games outside all spring … I can’t say it’s wrong, because maybe Kelenic is the next coming of Mike Trout, but whoa boy is that a risk I could not stomach.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:55 am

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 am

0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm

I still think he's going somewhere in the 2nd round. Might be an overslot candidate for some teams.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 am

0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/bhallufa/status/988520101698850817?s=21

So I'm guessing we have the first TJS victim in this draft class? That sucks for him. He's a good pitching prospect and was rising.

Edit: So apparently he's going to miss 2-3 weeks. Not sure if he needs TJS or not.

http://usatodayhss.com/2018/all-usa-wat ... arm-injury
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 pm

This should probably go in the 2019 Draft thread, but that doesn't exist yet lol. Bobby Witt Jr. is well known and very highly rated. A ton of top prospects have played in this game over the years.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 pm

This kid is rising pretty fast -- Keith Law is really high on him.

So I watched video of him pitching and I'm not a big fan. Great stuff and a plus fastball, but I feel like the team drafting him is going to have to clean up his pitching mechanics.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Regular Show wrote:

This kid is rising pretty fast -- Keith Law is really high on him.

So I watched video of him pitching and I'm not a big fan. Great stuff and a plus fastball, but I feel like the team drafting him is going to have to clean up his pitching mechanics.

Did you see Torres ‘16 clips or ‘18? The ‘18 version of him looks higher quality to me. He's one of the top 6 HS arms I'd like to see become Cubs:

Rocker
Weathers
Liberatore
Kloffenstein
Childress
Torres
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Speaking of:

It's his second in the past couple weeks with a combined 31 Ks
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

MLB Pipeline updated their top 100 and sadly, NSBB favorite Jonathan India is now at 10. Admittedly they have Alec Brohm at 11, which seems low.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:33 pm

0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:19 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

MLB Pipeline updated their top 100 and sadly, NSBB favorite Jonathan India is now at 10. Admittedly they have Alec Brohm at 11, which seems low.

Dude, I'm not one to judge or criticize or be a grammar Nazi, but this is like the third time you've called Alec Bohm ... Alec Brohm.

Not a big deal, and I didn't say anything the first or second time but that's not how you spell his name lol.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

Dude, I'm not one to judge or criticize or be a grammar Nazi, but this is like the third time you've called Alec Bohm ... Alec Brohm.

Not a big deal, and I didn't say anything the first or second time but that's not how you spell his name lol.

Autocorrect clearly isn’t a fan of his name because I have been trying to type Bohm.
1 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA mock of the top 15: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... dium=email

So I don't have a subscription for BA. Do you think you could post the Top-5 in their mock draft?

I understand posting the whole thing would be wrong. Honestly, I just want to know where they have Carter Stewart, Alec Bohm and Kumar Rocker going.
0 x

Denmaz
bench player

Postby Denmaz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:36 am

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA mock of the top 15: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... dium=email

So I don't have a subscription for BA. Do you think you could post the Top-5 in their mock draft?

I understand posting the whole thing would be wrong. Honestly, I just want to know where they have Carter Stewart, Alec Bohm and Kumar Rocker going.

#1 Casey Mize
#2 Joey Bart
#3 Alec Bohm
#4 Madrigal
#5 Liberatore
#7 Carter Stewart
#8 Kumar Rocker
1 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 am

Denmaz wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

#1 Casey Mize
#2 Joey Bart
#3 Alec Bohm
#4 Madrigal
#5 Liberatore
#7 Carter Stewart
#8 Kumar Rocker

Thanks!

Joey Bart going second is very surprising. Everyone else you listed is right where I thought they should go.

I can't wait till they do a full mock draft to see who they have the Cubs taking. I definitely think the Cubs are taking a pitcher.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:06 am

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:37 am

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:07 pm

It feels like every prep arm who isn’t hurt has helium.

I saw that Jonathan India stole the headlines from the Mize/Singer matchup Thursday by homering off Mize.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:09 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:It feels like every prep arm who isn’t hurt has helium.

In the cases of Rocker and Weathers I believe it’s just two less shiny toys than others holding their ground. Both guys were considered top tier guys for this draft going back a while, they were definitely among the first names I heard, and haven’t really slipped.

I love prospects like this btw, the ones that are top guys early and survive the noise plus nonsense of the process. Bryant was one of those in 2013, his name showing up in the earliest stages as a tippy top guy before some quiet and then he was right back at the end.

I’m impressed by Weathers all around. Better athlete than most, good stuff, physical, aggressive, advanced pitchability, command, and control....
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:45 am

Some more draft info from Klaw Chat:

Adam D.: Any early buzz about who the Giants might take at #2? I would like to see an upside play like Stewart, but it seems like the general strength of the college players near the top, combined with their refusal to play the rebuilding game makes them likely to go that route. Thoughts?
Keith Law: The current buzz is that all or at least five of the top six picks will likely be college guys. I wouldn’t rule out Stewart – Dick Tidrow, whose opinion really matters in the Giants’ draft room, saw Stewart’s best outing – but I could see the picks going Mize (1), McClanahan, Bart, Bohm, Madrigal, India, or something similar to that. Bart could go anywhere from 2 to 9, Madrigal maybe 5-9, Bohm 3-6. Mize is atop just about everyone’s boards, even guys who don’t like the delivery.

MittyShorph: Keith, I’ve seen see talk about certain college programs that hurt player’s futures with their abuse of pitchers, odd philosophies, etc. If you were advising a high school senior who could go anywhere and play what programs would you suggest?
Keith Law: I do think the tide is shifting, gradually, as we see programs like Florida and Vanderbilt win with good pitching yet without overusing pitchers in general. They’ve recruited better, and built deep staffs relative to most schools. The reign of the College Coaching Axis of Evil – Graham, Marquess, and the late Garrido – is also coming to an end. But we do still see stupid stuff like UConn blowing out Anthony Kay two years ago. And HS coaches have less accountability. Two days before Mike Vasil walked off the mound holding his elbow, he threw an unscheduled, 20-pitch relief inning. How does that benefit him? It’s not like there were scouts there to see him.

Thomas: You mentioned in a recent draft blog that there just aren’t many players as small as Madrigal in the majors. Just curious – how does he compare to Nick Allen, who was thought as a first round talent but slipped due to concerns about his size? Do they have comparable skill sets?
Keith Law: Allen can play shortstop, and well, and I think he’s a better runner than Madrigal. Madrigal plays second, even now, but I know several directors & cross-checkers who think he has the best hit tool in this draft.

Mac: Have Madrigal and Kelenic moved up draft boards simply by not playing? How much recency bias occurs at the top of the draft?
Keith Law: I’ve joked about that – the best thing to do this spring has been to not play. Kelenic is playing now, though; his standing may be a function of last summer/fall, though, since the pitching he’s seeing this spring is not good.

GIO: Dustin Pedroia was another super small college infielder that some thought was too small for pro ball. How does Madrigal compare to him coming out of college? Similar skill sets?
Keith Law: That’s a bit of revisionism. Pedroia was a shortstop who couldn’t stay there, and who swung uphill to an extent that very few big leaguers then or now do. His size didn’t help him. He was also a 40 runner, and that didn’t help him. Hell, he was balding at 21, which probably didn’t help him. I never saw him as an amateur, but I know our scouts in Toronto were lukewarm, and we had him more in the fourth round than second (where Boston took him). Madrigal is tiny – he’s listed at 5’7″ and around my weight, which, well, look at me and tell me if I look like a big leaguer – but he’s not that unconventional.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Jonathan Mayo mock draft: https://www.mlb.com/news/projections-fo ... =151437456

24. Cubs: Sean Hjelle, RHP, Kentucky

The Cubs have targeted college players up top the last few years and took two pitchers in the first round a year ago. The 6-foot-11 Hjelle won SEC Pitcher of the Year honors as a sophomore and has turned in another solid season with Kentucky.

Not sure how good a mock is when it has Singer at #2 overall but anyways, here are some other names that have been mentioned around here: Triston Casas at 13, Jonathan India at 14, Cole Winn at 15, Ethan Hankins at 18, Trevor Larnach at 21, Ryan Weathers at 22, Kumar Rocker at 23, Noah Naylor at 25 and Connor Scott at 28.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 02, 2018 2:47 pm

0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Damn. I don't think the Cubs will have a chance at drafting Cole Winn now.

This draft is so loaded I'm not too worried about a really good player being available at #24, but I'm starting to make a preferred list in my mind.

Sidenote: This draft class is reminding me of the 2011 draft where the late Jose Fernandez went in the teens. He was arguably the most talented pitcher in that draft, and I feel like the same thing might happen in this draft. I think it's almost impossible to differentiate the top pitching prospects with the notable exception of Casey Mize. However, if Mize gets hurt or his stuff backs up even a little bit then you can make the case for another pitcher.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”