2019 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:57 pm

If you want to feel old, Glenallen Hill Jr is going to be drafted, possibly very high, in 2019.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:If you want to feel old, Glenallen Hill Jr is going to be drafted, possibly very high, in 2019.

i hope the cubs draft him just so i can hear about and see the rooftop dong again and again
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:50 am

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_ ... ars-series

Panamian-born right-hander Daniel Espino, who now lives in Statesboro, Georgia, is the most famous name in the high school pitching crop for 2019, having hit 99 mph earlier this summer at the Perfect Game All-American Classic at Petco in a one-inning stint. He dialed it all the way back to 92-97 for a longer outing in Glendale, but what was more impressive was that he repeated his delivery and showed he could throw the fastball for strikes and work with it to both sides of the plate. Espino's arm action was a real concern at the start of the summer, but he's cleaned it up, and while it can get long and he needs to avoid coming across his body, he's repeating it enough now to foresee future above-average command. He paired the fastball with a hard curveball at 77-82 that flashed plus. I'd be surprised if he weren't one of the first two or three high school pitchers taken next June.

Glenallen Hill, Jr., was probably the highest-profile position player in the event thanks to his very explosive tools and his name -- his father was a big, physical power hitter, and a man ahead of his time, as he struck out 211 times in 530 PA as a 20-year-old in A-ball in 1985. The younger Hill is smaller but much faster, average out of the box but probably a 70 runner underway, if not faster, and shows excellent bat speed, especially from the left side. His timing at the plate was off at the Future Stars Series, however -- he was late getting his hands started and behind a lot of pitches he should have squared up. He played short and second but given his speed and erratic hands he might profile best in center.

Law mentions Glenallen Hill Jr. in this piece and talks about a few amateur prospects that stood out for him. I don't want to post the whole thing, but it's a good article if you have ESPN insider or ESPN+ or whatever they call it now.

The kid Law mentions at the beginning of the article is really impressive and has a good delivery. Here's video of Espino pitching at Wrigley earlier in the summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6DHZVP4ME
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Hill’s son is a switch hitting possibly CF prospect? The Cubs should draft him
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpKJ_jrh07s

This is one college player I really like and think he will get taken pretty high in next year's draft. His stats are really good for his first two years in college. The problem is his stats in the Cape Cod League aren't that impressive so I wonder how Cubs' scouts and their scouting department feel about him.

He also might not stick at 3B and his overall speed isn't great. The bat seems pretty special to me though.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 am

Some excellent size among top college bats this year...Wallner, Toglia, Mendoza, and Rustchman all look to have premium frames. Three of those guys are listed at 6’5”, two are switch hitters, there’s a C with a potentially elite frame, and a potential 3B in Mendoza. Impressive little group, that’s definitely around every year in the college ranks
1 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”