2019 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:57 pm

If you want to feel old, Glenallen Hill Jr is going to be drafted, possibly very high, in 2019.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:If you want to feel old, Glenallen Hill Jr is going to be drafted, possibly very high, in 2019.

i hope the cubs draft him just so i can hear about and see the rooftop dong again and again
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:50 am

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_ ... ars-series

Panamian-born right-hander Daniel Espino, who now lives in Statesboro, Georgia, is the most famous name in the high school pitching crop for 2019, having hit 99 mph earlier this summer at the Perfect Game All-American Classic at Petco in a one-inning stint. He dialed it all the way back to 92-97 for a longer outing in Glendale, but what was more impressive was that he repeated his delivery and showed he could throw the fastball for strikes and work with it to both sides of the plate. Espino's arm action was a real concern at the start of the summer, but he's cleaned it up, and while it can get long and he needs to avoid coming across his body, he's repeating it enough now to foresee future above-average command. He paired the fastball with a hard curveball at 77-82 that flashed plus. I'd be surprised if he weren't one of the first two or three high school pitchers taken next June.

Glenallen Hill, Jr., was probably the highest-profile position player in the event thanks to his very explosive tools and his name -- his father was a big, physical power hitter, and a man ahead of his time, as he struck out 211 times in 530 PA as a 20-year-old in A-ball in 1985. The younger Hill is smaller but much faster, average out of the box but probably a 70 runner underway, if not faster, and shows excellent bat speed, especially from the left side. His timing at the plate was off at the Future Stars Series, however -- he was late getting his hands started and behind a lot of pitches he should have squared up. He played short and second but given his speed and erratic hands he might profile best in center.

Law mentions Glenallen Hill Jr. in this piece and talks about a few amateur prospects that stood out for him. I don't want to post the whole thing, but it's a good article if you have ESPN insider or ESPN+ or whatever they call it now.

The kid Law mentions at the beginning of the article is really impressive and has a good delivery. Here's video of Espino pitching at Wrigley earlier in the summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6DHZVP4ME
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Hill’s son is a switch hitting possibly CF prospect? The Cubs should draft him
0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpKJ_jrh07s

This is one college player I really like and think he will get taken pretty high in next year's draft. His stats are really good for his first two years in college. The problem is his stats in the Cape Cod League aren't that impressive so I wonder how Cubs' scouts and their scouting department feel about him.

He also might not stick at 3B and his overall speed isn't great. The bat seems pretty special to me though.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 am

Some excellent size among top college bats this year...Wallner, Toglia, Mendoza, and Rustchman all look to have premium frames. Three of those guys are listed at 6’5”, two are switch hitters, there’s a C with a potentially elite frame, and a potential 3B in Mendoza. Impressive little group, that’s definitely around every year in the college ranks
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm

1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 pm

1. Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
2. Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California
3. Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor
4. Graeme Stinson, LHP, Duke
5. Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech
6. Carter Stewart, RHP, Eastern Florida State
7. Zack Thompson, LHP, Kentucky
8. Nick Lodolo, LHP, TCU
9. Alek Manoah, RHP, West Virginia
10. Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV

Huh, I didn't know Carter Stewart is going to Eastern Florida State. I'm assuming this is a junior college so this should allow him to re-enter the draft in 2019. I'm surprised he didn't go to Chipola junior college or some other well-known JC.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:45 am

Those are some pretty Cubs friendly early rankings with neither Wallner or Toglia on there. horsefeathers even Stewart as “just” the 6th ranked college prospect...Gotta say I like how 2019’s shaping up all around for the Cubs org (no homer)
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:01 am

Not bad
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:01 am

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

The Cubs have the 28th pick in next year's draft.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:47 am

Regular Show wrote:http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

Tomorrow's game will decide between 27th and 28th. Game 163 will be part of the regular season record.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:40 am

Tim wrote:
Regular Show wrote:http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

Tomorrow's game will decide between 27th and 28th. Game 163 will be part of the regular season record.

Oh right. Good catch.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 pm

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

Cubs have the 27th pick.

Looking at last year's MLB draft slots and pool amounts right now. The Nats picked 27th last year and that draft slot was $2,472,700. Assuming the pool amounts increase a little bit the Cubs total draft pool should be around $5.75 mil.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Time to feel old again: Craig Hodges' son is a prep prospect expected to be picked high in the 2019 draft.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 pm

From the latest chat on Fangraphs:

Kiley McDaniel: Manoah is a big dude that showed big stuff on the Cape but needs to watch the frame and looks like a reliever. Lodolo is one of a handful of guys that we would move up now, but we’ll wait for a couple fall events to occur to make an update. He threw harder in a scrimmage this week. We had him lower bc he’d been mostly 88-91, touching 92 or 93 just like in HS two years ago and that’s where we’d rank that guy. If he’s consistently 91-94 like he was this week, then he’s in the top 30. Jason Hodges (HS LF, Illinois) is another guy that probably moves up and Michael Harris (HS LHP/RF, Georgia) would move on the list.

12:29
Kiley McDaniel: and for the hoops fans, Jason is the son of Craig Hodges from the MJ Bulls teams
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Time to feel old again: Craig Hodges' son is a prep prospect expected to be picked high in the 2019 draft.

Being Hodges' kid, hopefully he's not a flamethrower....

:bananas:
1 x
1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:29 am

Geez, this kid is a beast. I guess the A's are planning on taking him in the 1st round next year lol.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 pm

We know the Cubs like UVA players/pitchers and scout them well.

He was eligible for this year's draft, but sent a letter asking teams not to draft him. I think he could've gone in the late 1st round/early-mid 2nd round area. He'll be eligible for the 2021 draft. I think his fastball was better in HS. That's not great velocity for a SP, but maybe he's just taking it easy and building up arm strength. Should be a high draft pick in a few years.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Hope he stays healthy and gets paid in 2021.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 pm

Rocker’s gonna be a badass*

*barring major arm surgery, even then maybe there’s a shot
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:33 am

So the Cubs drafted players with the last name Hoerner and Roederer. This Fitterer guy seems to fit (no pun intended) that pattern...

No clue where he's rated among prep prospects. Good arm and a nice delivery.

EDIT: He's committed to UCLA so I'm sure Raisin knows more about him.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Damn, thinking about it Rocker is probably the highest rated HS SP to hit a perrenial CWS contender’s campus in a long, long time. The potential to be a generational talent is there with that kind of pedigree, frame, and stuff. Guy’s got a huge ceiling among huge ceilings but narrow and harrowing path yada yada

Another college worth noting in this pretty good looking class for college bats is 6’4” OF Kameron Misner out of Mizzou. Missed some time to a foot injury last year but was hitting .360, leading the nation in walks, just a 16% K rate, and a .216 IsoSLG, and 13 SBs. He seems like he might be next year’s Trevor Larnach if he can tap into more HR power. Speed was a part of his game so hopefully that foot injury heals up

This guy, Ashton Bardzell:

https://www.hartfordhawks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3712

is a 6’2” CF who raked in the CCL this summer after two strong springs. He also won a national HS player of the year award with Louisville Slugger. Doesn’t seem like the 1st round type
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:36 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 am

There is so much content available now on draft prospects. It's kinda crazy. The 2018 WWBA World Championship event just took place and there were so many elite HS players/pitchers.

This kid seems pretty interesting, but I could list a bunch right now. Good, simple delivery and I think he's very projectable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=-uAHpRyYVTU

Reggie Crawford (2019, Frackville, Pa.) has made some serious noise in the past few months as a physical lefthanded pitching prospect who has reached as high as 94 mph with his fastball at PG events. He got the ball for Blackhawks National on Thursday in their opening game of the WWBA World Championship and didn’t disappoint, shutting out Palm Beach Select over 3 1/3 innings, scattering three hits and a walk while picking up four strikeouts. Crawford has excellent size, looking every bit of his listed 6-foot-4, 206-pounds. There’s a fair amount of looseness to his arm stroke to go along with above average arm speed, and he sat in the 88-91 mph range for the most part with his fastball, creating outstanding angles to the plate from a very extended three-quarters slot. His best pitches of the outing came on fastballs located to his glove side against righthanded hitters, an almost impossible pitch to hit given the angle it comes in at. The breaking ball will need improvement, but if there’s one thing we’ve learned about the UConn coaching staff over the past few years it’s that they have no trouble teaching talented lefthanders how to spin the baseball. -- Brian Sakowski

Rece Hinds is already a top prospect leading up to the 2019 MLB draft. Tremendous power, but he has a good swing as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB2EcquF-l0

Moving from one of the better hit tools in the class to Rece Hinds (2019, Niceville, Fla.), who has almost inarguably the best power in the prep ranks, as the LSU commit had himself a big afternoon during an opening win for the East Coast Sox. By now Hinds is one of the most well-known prospects for this year’s high school class of draft-eligible prospects, and he’s hard to miss at a super-physical 6-foot-4 and 210-pounds as the No. 7 overall prospect, and the main reason for this is his prodigious power. He has double-plus raw power, and the ball carries like no other to all fields and what he showed during this game wasn’t just his ability to impact the baseball, but the ability to drive the ball with power to the opposite field. After getting down 0-2 early in the count, Hinds fouled off a couple tough pitches until he drove a 90 mph fastball deep to the opposite field and carried out with an exit velocity of 99 mph. The East Coast Sox are a must watch with the amount of talent they have, and Hinds certainly added to that entertainment value with a long home run and a couple of knocks on the day. -- Vinnie Cervino
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”