2019 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Edith Cox
bench player

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

Postby Edith Cox » Wed May 15, 2019 5:29 am

Regular Show wrote:Welcome to the Board!

I'm assuming you've seen a lot of Kameron Misner and wanted to chip in here. If you watch a lot of Mizzou games please contribute on what you see in games. What do you think of LHP TJ Sikkema?

I've been meaning to sign up for a while to talk about the upcoming draft and been lazy, but the idea of getting Misner at 27 did excite me enough to sign up. I honestly don't know what to think of Sikkema since he doesn't always throw as hard as you would expect him to with his build, but gets results with good spin and deception and was excellent up at the Cape. Hard to tell if that would translate to be a LHP starter at the back of a rotation or a good LHP out of pen, but I always want hitters over pitchers as a personal preference for that reason.
0 x

Edith Cox
bench player

Postby Edith Cox » Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 am

CP_414 wrote:The new Fangraphs mock has Logan Davidson to the Cubs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0/

.202/.304/.266/.570 in 309 PA in the Cape Cod League with the his second year being worse then the first is scary,
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Edith Cox wrote:
CP_414 wrote:The new Fangraphs mock has Logan Davidson to the Cubs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0/

.202/.304/.266/.570 in 309 PA in the Cape Cod League with the his second year being worse then the first is scary,

Almost as scary as his K rate over 20% this year in college ball. Hard pass for me.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 am

BA wrote this in their piece on the injury:

This could be nothing more than a minor issue, as Barco has pitched well throughout the spring with a 90-95 mph fastball and a pair of secondaries that flash future plus potential in his slider and changeup, although his final start before getting shut down was not great. Last year, Florida righthander Mason Denaburg battled shoulder issues throughout the spring and the Nationals still felt comfortable taking him in the first round with the 27th pick of the draft.

Shoulder strain’s what knocked Hamels down way back when so I’m not sure how to look at this non-surgery injury, and overall I think Barco’s a first round caliber HS lefty. He’s tall, lean, projectable, and athletic but still physical, probably 200+ already, and pitches off his four seam like a potential power arm and/or very young SP should. He’s probably still the only first round HS LHP in this draft and at worst third best LH overall with Lodolo and maybe Zack Thompson

OTOH some opportunity for a guy like Reggie Crawford or Spencer Jones to step up, I guess, but neither is really close to a first round pitcher out of HS

Edit: Jones got hurt in March:

0 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 am

Dude, seriously just look up pitcher injuries before you start spouting off on prospects and injuries and stuff...

Cole Hamels didn't suffer a shoulder injury -- he broke his humerus in his left arm. It's a well-known story. It required surgery and pitchers don't normally suffer this kind of injury (which spooked some scouts).

In the summer between his sophomore and junior years at Rancho Bernardo High School, Hamels broke his left arm, but it was no simple break.

Hamels uncorked a pitch in a summer-league game, and the only thing stranger than the pitch that sailed to the top of the backstop was the sound heard by those on the field, in the dugouts and in the stands.

"It was like a board snapped," said Mark Furtak, the pitching coach at Rancho Bernardo who guided Hamels before the injury and ultimately got his young charge back on track.

Hamels fractured his humerus, the bone that runs from the shoulder to the elbow, in two places. Initially taken to a local emergency room, Hamels sat and waited for about two hours before he was seen by a physician. Furtak said the attending physician at first hesitated about how to proceed.

"You don't understand," Furtak recalled saying at the moment. "This kid has a million dollar arm."

Fortunately, the future ace hooked up with Padres orthopedist Dr. Jan Fronek, who repaired the spiral fracture with two metal rods that were roughly the width of coat hangers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/postseason/ ... ces_hamels
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 am

I don't think I've mentioned him here, but RHP Evan McKendry has a sick changeup and maybe the best one in the draft. He could be a poor man's Kyle Hendricks if the command improves.

Hmm, I don't think LHP Graeme Stinson has the best slider among college pitchers... That's wrong and I think scouts would list many power sliders over his now. RHP Alek Manoah has a really good one.

I also disagree with Hunter Bishop being the best athlete among the college players. I mean he's a very good athlete for someone his size, but I'm pretty sure Greg Jones is the better athlete.
Last edited by Regular Show on Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 am

Regular Show wrote:Dude, seriously just look up pitcher injuries before you start spouting off on prospects and injuries and stuff...

Hm, I have to admit that’s a big and weird miss and I have gotten got. Though surgery to repair a fracture is...so on so forth
0 x

Edith Cox
bench player

Postby Edith Cox » Thu May 16, 2019 7:19 am

Regular Show wrote:
I don't think I've mentioned him here, but RHP Evan McKendry has a sick changeup and maybe the best one in the draft. He could be a poor man's Kyle Hendricks if the command improves.

I don't think LHP Graeme Stinson has the best slider among college pitchers... That's wrong and I think scouts would list many power sliders over his now. RHP Alek Manoah has a really good one.

I didn't even realize Brady McConnell was eligible for this draft, I would like to have a shot at him sometime after the first round.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Hmm, I don't think LHP Graeme Stinson has the best slider among college pitchers... That's wrong and I think scouts would list many power sliders over his now. RHP Alek Manoah has a really good one.

I also disagree with Hunter Bishop being the best athlete among the college players. I mean he's a very good athlete for someone his size, but I'm pretty sure Greg Jones is the better athlete.

Fully agreed. Jones is the fastest player in the draft, and he posted videos on his Instagram with him having a vertical over 40 inches and a huge standing broad jump (couldn't make out the distance).
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:Fully agreed. Jones is the fastest player in the draft, and he posted videos on his Instagram with him having a vertical over 40 inches and a huge standing broad jump (couldn't make out the distance).

I did not know this but pretty awesome for Jones and even the sport a little. It’s great to see guys with that level of athleticism flashing a wide set of potential baseball skills, and yeah already went over how Jones is doing that this season
0 x

donobr1
bench player

Postby donobr1 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Outstanding,but what about his baseball skills I know nothing about.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 am

donobr1 wrote:Outstanding,but what about his baseball skills I know nothing about.

Who are you?

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

You'll find a scouting report on Greg Jones in the link. He's a solid draft prospect who probably has to move off SS to play CF. Some questions about how good he'll be with the bat and how much game power he'll develop. Probably won't be drafted in the 1st round.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 pm

The conventional wisdom at this moment is that the consensus six best position players in the Draft will go in the first six picks, and a run on the top tier of four college and junior college pitchers will ensue immediately afterward. (We'll break all that down in detail when we release another first-round projection tonight).

After that happens, teams aren't sure exactly what to expect in the middle of the first round. But it appears that a pair of high school shortstops are moving up Draft boards and suddenly could factor in the teens.

Gunnar Henderson (Morgan Academy, Selma, Ala.) has drawn a lot of interest from the Phillies, who pick at 14, and also has been mentioned with the Angels (No. 15), D-backs (No. 16, the first of their four first-rounders), Pirates (No. 18) and Cardinals (No. 19). Kyren Paris (Freedom High, Oakley, Calif.) isn't as much of a lock for the first round and doesn't have as many suitors as Henderson, though he has been mentioned as high as the Twins (No. 13) and Angels (No. 15).

One of the top hitters in the 2019 prep class, Henderson has shown more strength and quickness as a senior and has a better chance to stay at shortstop than previously thought. Paris has a line-drive bat with solid to plus speed, arm strength and defensive ability.

Several teams are emphasizing age when they evaluate high schoolers, and Henderson and Paris are attractive to those clubs because they'll be 17 on Draft Day. Henderson won't turn 18 until June 29 and Paris, one of the youngest players in the Draft, won't until Nov. 11. -- Jim Callis

McConnell stock rising

While it's a relatively down year for Draft prospects in Florida (there were just four from the state in MLB Pipeline’s most recent mock draft compared to nine players from the Sunshine State taken in the top 34 picks a year ago), there’s obviously still talent to consider in the top few rounds. It’s typical for college hitters who perform well to move up boards, and no one in Florida is personifying that more right now than shortstop Brady McConnell.

The University of Florida infielder didn’t make our initial Top 100 list, as he was a player termed by many as a “bubble guy.” But expect to see him there when the Top 200 is unveiled, as all he’s done is continue to hit as the spring has gone on in an otherwise disappointing year for the Gators (a prime example of baseball in the state being down is there’s a chance not a single NCAA Regional will be hosted there, something that does not happen often). McConnell, who was a solid prospect whose uneven senior season of high school and strong commitment to Florida saw him slide on boards two years ago, is hitting .365/.416/.640 with 15 homers and 45 RBIs in 52 games as a Draft-eligible sophomore after a 6-for-14 weekend (with three home runs) against Tennessee.

The jury is still out over his ability to stay at shortstop, but the good news is many think he’s athletic enough to play center field or could handle second, and that bat looks like it’s going to play. He’s put himself into top-two-round consideration and his name even came up as work was being done on that last first-round mock. -- Jonathan Mayo
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Draft season triple slash and K rates of Cubs’ previous first pick college bats under Theo:

Bryant: .329/.493/.820 and 14.6%
Schwarber: .358/.464/.659 and 10.7%
Happ: .369/.492/.672 and 19.4%
Hoerner: .349/.394/.502 and 8.6%

Current lines of college bats that have come up for 27:

Busch: .285/.447/.543 and 13.9%
Shewmake : .307/.360/.462 and 9.6%
Davidson: .300/.415/.595 and 20.3%
Strumpf: .313/.458/.511 and 18.5%
Wilson: .337/.420/.674 and 17.8%
Toglia: .303/.374/.585 and 23.3%
Jones: .341/.487/.525 and 13.8%
Quintana: .330/.464/.605 and 20.5%
Hoese: .406/.498/.831 and 9.1%
Misner: .290/.444/.497 and 22%
Wyatt: .304/.472/.508 and 14.6%

I’m not un-interested in Jones’ fit with the org. He was a well regarded HS recruit, a switch hitting SS probably a little less regarded than Xavier Edwards last year, and is having a breakout year as a draft eligible sophomore. Not sure if he can stick at SS, there was some 2B and CF speculation, but any works if he can bring all these offensive skills he has shown this year (hit, patience, some power, speed) to pro ball. Unlike alot of these guys, he played in the Cape and did alright with a .374 OBP and 20 steals albeit with lots of Ks

Hrubes20 wrote:I really want the high level scouts to be convinced that Greg Jones will hit, so he can be the pick. That speed would be really fun.

Just saw this and have to say I probably agree with this. He seems to fit the mold more than most on paper with the outstanding draft season plus CCL. If the top guys buy into the breakout even if he falls to 27, he may even be the ideal pick

My goodness, KB's line at one of the most pitcher-friendly stadiums in college baseball. Still can't believe an analytically driven team like the Astros passed on him.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 17, 2019 2:50 pm

27. Cubs: Michael Busch, 1B/OF, North Carolina

Chicago needs pitching pronto but none of the best college arms figure to get close to No. 27. The Cubs have excelled at targeting college bats in the first round and likely will go with another this June.

https://www.mlb.com/news/adley-rutschma ... e-coverage
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:My goodness, KB's line at one of the most pitcher-friendly stadiums in college baseball. Still can't believe an analytically driven team like the Astros passed on him.

He also did it after aluminum bats were swapped out for less power friendly materials. Also crazy impressive is the 14 and change K rate from a 6’5” high average high power 3B...
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 17, 2019 11:35 pm

It sounds like Priester has a ton of helium and is moving up. He could potentially be the first HS pitcher taken in the first round now. That's crazy to me, but I guess his stuff/command has improved and the other top HS pitchers have taken a hit or moved down.

This doesn't concern the Cubs, but I really hope the Orioles don't try to get too cute here with the #1 pick. I feel like they're trying to execute the same strategy Houston pulled off by cutting deals with Mark Appel and Carlos Correa to save pool money for later picks. Just take the best player (Rutschman).
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 am

Priester’s probably more signable than most, reminds me of Shelby Miller a little bit

Matt Allan wants $4 million. What does Theo have to spend this year?

Edit: $5,826,900 - Cubs + I guess the 5% before whatever happens
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Making Friday night starts against an SEC opponent as a freshman, 68/15 K:BB in 66.2 IP, 2 HRs allowed...Still funny that FanGraphs had/has Vasil over this guy, gotta wait until that new info gets in or something

——

JJ Goss is a HS pitcher I like alot more getting close to the draft
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon May 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Not sure how serious of a prospect this guy is, but hitting 4 HRs in one game is damn impressive! Those launch angles are ridiculous. You can't swing like that in the minors/MLB and be successful unless you have incredible batspeed and amazing hand-eye coordination. I've seen clips of his swing in slow motion and it's not great -- he seems like a dead-pull hitter to me. He has good power (might be his best tool) and his overall stats are pretty good:

He's hitting .314/.397/.646 with 15 HRs. The strikeout rate is too high at almost 21% and he doesn't draw a ton of walks. He probably won't hit for a good average and will have to learn to tone down the swing and make more contact. I have no clue how his defense rates. The Cubs must have seen him while they were scouting Nico Hoerner last year.

Daschbach also might get the attention of Cubs' scouts because of his solid performance in the Cape Cod League: .306/.424/.515 (.939 OPS).

On Fangraphs' draft board he's listed way down the list as COL-H-10 with an FV of 35+ (which isn't bad). Probably rates as a draft prospect worth taking in rounds 5-10.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/savermetrics/status/1130651928860348416?s=21

Interesting names in those tweets. I'm assuming they have no shot at Brennan Milone and Quinn Priester from the early draft buzz.

SS Yordys Valdez is a very intriguing player and I'm glad they invited him for workouts. He should go somewhere in the 2nd/3rd round area.
0 x

Edith Cox
bench player

Postby Edith Cox » Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 21, 2019 12:21 pm

That's a bold move for both Carter Stewart and the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks. I guess I could see him dominating in NPB and then coming back and signing for even more than he would've gotten in the late 1st round/2nd round area. He would have to be posted and sign as a IFA for that to happen though.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 21, 2019 1:26 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

DJ Herz and DJ Jefferson at Wrigley Field, are they finally getting around to replacing the guy they fired for playing smack my bitch up when Aroldis Chapman was on the mound?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”