2021 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Regular Show
All-Star

Re: 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:35 am

Beautiful swing in the top clip above.

As I was saying earlier, this kid is having a very loud summer and is definitely getting noticed now. He's rocketing up the draft rankings.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/inbox-rocker-o ... 2021-draft

When Jonathan Mayo ranked the top 20 prospects for the 2021 Draft shortly after the 2020 Draft ended, he listed Vanderbilt right-handers Rocker and Leiter in the top two spots, in that order. I look at Rocker as having the higher ceiling and Leiter as having the higher floor, and I'd take Rocker right now because he has more track record. Leiter has pitched just 15 2/3 innings at the college level, and I could see changing my mind after a (hopefully) full college season next year.

Rocker's advantages are a stronger build (6-foot-4, 255 pounds versus 6 feet, 195 pounds), a bigger fastball (capable of sitting in the mid-90s and climbing to 99 mph) and a more overpowering breaking ball (a wipeout slider at its best). Leiter has a deeper repertoire (90-95 mph fastball, quality curveball and slider, solid changeup that he barely used this spring), better delivery and more feel for pitching.

I ran this question by seven scouting officials: one director, one assistant director, two crosscheckers and three area guys. Five of them went with Rocker, though several of them admitted they hadn't had much of a chance to see Leiter in college.

My hot take is that Leiter might be able to Mike Leake it and skip the minors if he gets to pitch next year. Obviously much higher ceiling than Leake, Leiter has it all with a deep repertoire, health, great delivery, command, and control.
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:09 pm

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:39 am

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:47 am

That's funny, I was just coming here to post that this Fordham recruit looks like a draftable HS RH:

I'd still say Petty and Carter are my favorite of the HS RHSPs
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:35 pm

https://prospects365.com/2020/08/06/202 ... ssion=true

Informative piece and highlights one of my favorite hopefully non-first college arms:

Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest

From a traditional standpoint (command, mechanics), Cusick isn’t on a single team’s radar based on the eye test alone. Fortunately, Trackman will likely save teams from missing out on an highly optimized arm. An IVB of 19.1 is elite, as is his 4.9 VAA. Cusick’s release height is 5.9, which isn’t ideal, but his approach angle really makes up for it. Spin rates upwards of 2,400 rpm and an ideal spin axis are two numbers hard to teach. Cusick’s fastball data is phenomenal, and throwing the pitch on average at 92.9 mph is incredible with his 6.7 extension. It’s a relief profile more than likely because of no third offering and a fringe second pitch – a slider with around 2,150 rpm but decent movement (close to no vMov, heavy hMov). It’s only August of 2020, but I wouldn’t surprised if Cusick were a Tampa Bay Ray in less then a year.

Was a decent prospect as a HSer in 2018, Wake Forest is one of those programs praised for embracing technology to develop pitching and had an arm go in the first this year (Shuster)
----

Really good weight gain
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:09 pm

- Hajjar and Hogglund up to 13 and 14, Christian MacLeod bumped up 21 spots to 24

I don't know about fit or ceiling, but Sal Frelick out of BCU (#21) is a prospect I like

There's a comment in there that a couple people thought 6'6" HS OF James Woods was a better prospect than Veen

Pacheco all the way down to the 40s, but in really good company with guys like Irv Carter, Khalil Watson (LHH HS SS), Benny Montgomery...Frankly these guys could all be higher

Andrew Painter is their top prep arm. Funny enough, he was teammates with Carter and yeah...I like Painter, agreed he's one of the few prep arms with first round potential this year, but Carter's arguably better and certainly not 32 spots worse...I didn't even see Travis Garnett on this list, that'll have to change

Like Leto has fallen, all the way to 91 here, because he is not a SS. He looked really bad there for a guy who was getting top 10 hype. I'm still a pretty big believer in the bat but kinda need to see how he bounces back mentally from a universally panned showing on defense

----

Oh and

[quotez]Mike: What are your thoughts on how the draft order for 2021 should play out? Do you think Manfred will keep it at reverse standings or do some sort of lottery?

Eric A Longenhagen: I think they should do away with the draft[/quote]
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:04 am

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/area-code- ... ssion=true

5. Joshua Baez, OF, Dexter Southfield School (Brookline, Mass.)
Baez possesses some of the best all-around tools in the 2021 high school class, featuring huge raw power, solid speed and an arm that delivers mid-90s fastballs on the mound. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder got a little home run-happy after blasting a 400-foot homer with an exit velocity of 107 mph on Friday, but is a force when he's locked in at the plate.

6. James Wood, OF, IMG Academy (Brandenton, Fla.)
Wood is also a toolshed and while he didn't light up the Area Codes as much as he did East Coast Pro, one scouting director noted, "He still has good at-bats even when he's not hitting." Wood plays under control very well for a 6-foot-6, 230-pounder and has the upside of a center fielder with plus tools across the board

I'd still take the LHH Wood but still not bad not bad

RHP Caedmon Parker seems really interesting, might even have meaningful upside as a two way player
---

So LHP talent might be a strength in this draft, another one:

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:49 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Missouri prep RHP Christian Little, one of the top prospects in next year’s draft, is instead enrolling early at Vanderbilt.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:27 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Missouri prep RHP Christian Little, one of the top prospects in next year’s draft, is instead enrolling early at Vanderbilt.

I'm going to call this one a wise business move. Little was likely to fall as a HS prep just on HS arms being less likely to fit in the first with this artificial NCAA backlog. That's the baseline he was working with heading into the 2021 draft. Throw in that he's more Tyler Beede than Kumar Rocker on the elite Vandy arm recruit scale, doesn't have elite velocity now, doesn't have elite size (height is fine, needs 20+ pounds easy), his age as an amateur pitching being more of a plus out of college than HS, and this really makes sense for him...Sucks the only alternative for this is the vampiric, like not even pretending to not be evil NCAA, but yeah as far as working within the garbage system in place this makes sense. There's a shot he becomes draft eligible again before he's 20, meaning he is already in good favor with draft models
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:15 pm

The PGAAC happened this weekend, not really easy to find hot takes yet because it's Sunday of Labor Day weekend but:

Carter Holton is a sub-6' LHSP prospect who does a good Max Scherzer impression with his lower body mechanics, was consistently 94-95:

Benny Montgomery, the tooled up 6'4" RHH OF, won the HR derby

Braylon Bishop's made some swing changes, looking more like Austin Hendrick from this year probably

There's guys throwing harder like Chase Burns, but I still think Irving Carter's the best HS pitcher:

Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-perfect-g ... performers

1. Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit College Prep HS (Texas): Named the Perfect Game Jackie Robinson Player of the Year, Lawlar had a pair of hits, a walk, an RBI and scored three runs in the game. He showed off an outstanding approach at the plate as well as some premium speed, and he has the ability to stick at short, reminding some of Bobby Witt Jr.

2. Alex Mooney, SS, Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Prep HS (Mich.): Mooney was named MVP of the game after he had three hits, including a triple, and scored three runs. His approach and all-around tools stand out to go along with excellent instincts.

3. Edwin Arroyo, SS, Arecibo Baseball Academy (PR): One of the younger players in the Draft class, Arroyo had a pair of hits, including a double, and drove in a run. He swung the bat well from both sides of the plate and drew some Asdrúbal Cabrera comps, though he might not stick at shortstop long-term.

4. Ian Moller, C, Wahlert HS (Iowa): Moller doubled in a run and continues to impress with his offensive ability and raw power. He also looked much better behind the plate than he did earlier in the summer.

5. Jackson Jobe, RHP, Heritage Hall HS (Okla.): Jobe gave up a hit and a walk, but threw a scoreless inning while striking out one. He has a really fast arm that delivered a fastball in the 93-96 mph range and a plus slider he threw 82-85 mph.

6. Mason Albright, LHP, IMG Academy (Fla.): While his stuff was a bit down from his showing at the East Coast Professional Showcase, Albright showed the best pitchability in the game, needing just nine pitches to get two strikeouts and a popup. The Maryland native recently transferred to IMG Academy and was in the 87-91 mph range with his fastball, while showing the ability to spin an upper-70s curve for strikes.

7. Braden Montgomery, OF, Madison Central HS (Miss.): He’s gotten better all summer, with a solid approach from both sides of the plate, and Mongtomery hit the ball hard a couple of times in this game, though he had just one hit to show for it. The outfielder has the chance to have a very well-rounded offensive profile.

8. Benny Montgomery, OF, Red Land HS (Pa.): His raw tools have stood out all summer, especially his speed, but he surprised many with his power display. Montgomery won the home run derby by hitting 14 balls out, including six with a wood bat.

9. Joshua Baez, OF, Dexter Southfield HS (Mass.): There might not be any player in the 2021 Draft class with more raw power than Baez, with one scout putting an 80 grade on his pop. He hit 12 homers in the derby and tripled in the game itself.

10. Harry Ford, C, North Cobb HS (Ga.): Ford hit the lone home run in the game, a two-run shot, and he shows off an intriguing combination of bat speed/feel to hit as well as good catch-and-throw skills and overall athleticism.

11. Carter Holton, LHP, Benedictine Military (Ga.): Holton struck out a pair, including Lawlar, in his one inning of work. He’s not the biggest guy in the world at 5-foot-11, but the lefty used his funky delivery to create deception well to go along with an electric fastball that was 93-95 mph. His 83-85 mph changeup is his best secondary pitch.

12. Joe Mack, C, Williamsville East HS (NY): There’s not much to show in the box score -- Mack went 0-for-1 with a walk and a run scored -- but scouts loved the professional quality of his at-bats, especially since the left-handed hitter had to face some nasty left-handers. He’s really good on both sides of the ball.

Good to see this guy showing up in showcases again, giant switch hitter with power potential and a Stanford commit
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 pm

MLB.com's top 15 HS prospects: https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-mlb-draft ... e-coverage

1. Jordan Lawler, HS, Jesuit College Prep (TX)
2. Andrew Painter, RHP, Cavalry Christian Academy (FL)
3. Marcelo Mayer, SS, Eastlake HS (CA)
4. Brady House, 3B/RHP, Winder-Barrow HS (GA)
5. Chase Petty, RHP, Mainland Regional HS (NJ)
6. Izaac Pacheco, 3B, Friendswood HS (TX)
7. Chase Burns, RHP, Station Camp HS (TN)
8. Joe Mack, C, Williamsville East HS (NY)
9. James Wood, OF, IMG Academy (FL)
10. Josh Báez, OF/RHP, Dexter Southfield HS (MA)
11. Benny Montgomery, OF, Red Land HS (PA)
12. Kahlil Watson, SS, Wake Forest HS (NC)
13. Jackson Jobe, RHP/SS, Heritage Hall HS (OK)
14. Ian Moller, C, Wahlert HS (IA)
15. Tyree Reed, OF, American Canyon HS (CA)
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 am

From that same link ^^:

“It is a very deep high school class,” one National League scouting director said. “The college class is fair at best. And that’s regardless of how much we’ve seen the college talent.”

Though it’s been limited, scouts have been able to see high schoolers this summer at Perfect Game National, the Area Code Games, East Coast Professional Showcase and most recently, the PG All-American Classic. Even teams that haven’t been sending scouts on the road have been able to look at video and get the data collected from those events. Using this information, it's clear that there are some kids who can really, really swing the bat.

“The hitters at the high school level are way better than the college hitters,” the scouting director said. “That is a fact. This is one of the better high school hitting classes I have seen in many years.”

That top 15 list is missing some very big names so I believe it :dontknow:
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”