They've got MaCleod as a riser...all the way to the *23rd* best *college* prospect for 2021
--- https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-s-regional ... e-coverage
Edwin Arroyo, SS, Arecibo Baseball Academy (PR): One of the few Puerto Rican players who really hit the summer showcase circuit, Arroyo continued to show why he’s considered the top player from the island in 2021. The Florida State commit is a switch-hitter who has shown he can handle velocity and has every chance to stay at shortstop defensively.
Victor Rodriguez, OF, Montverde Academy (Fla.): A late entry into the event, Rodriguez hails from the same high school that produced Francisco Lindor. The Florida International recruit has loud tools, starting with tremendous raw power, and has an arm that also fires low-90s fastballs from the mound.
Arroya switch hits, Rodriguez is like 6'5" already
Since the national HS showcases seems to be over and the coverage seems to be towards college Fall ball...I'd say these HSers came out of the Summer most ready to be picked by Cubs:
Khalil Watson SS/IF - Top defensive IF and a LHH with the offensive tools to be a big bat 2B with a glove of Gold
James Wood CF - Seems like the highest upside position player though I like Watson more
Braylon Bishop CF - Also in that highest upside position player convo
Carter Holton LHSP - One of the harder throwing prep arms and has all the SP tools
Anthony Solometo LHSP - All the bells and whistles for a HS arm: throws hard, multiple offspeeds, 6'4", lefty, unique delivery, potential for command and control
Guys on the fringe:
Chase Burns RHSP - Hardest throwing RH along and big frame, good changeup, needs better breaking stuff
Irving Carter Jr RHSP - If he threw high 90's would maybe be the top guy, as a low 90's guy isn't a first rounder
Josh Hartle LHSP - Another guy who does it all and could throw harder in the Spring, maybe the best breaking stuff of the HSers?
Ryan Spikes IF - Probably a 2B but if he keeps mashing could be next year's Nick Yorke
Braden Montgomery OF/RHP - Improve strength and athleticism
- I said zero words about Khalil Watson the whole Summer, now he's my favorite player in the HS class, and I don't see it as an overreaction. He was on the radar, I probably just like to eliminate the physically larger prospects first. Note he's a LHH SS and there were a few of those: 6'3" Mayer, 6'2" Leto, 6'4" Pacheco who started the Summer with first round hype
- I didn't include Jordan Lawlar because he won't be available
- No Izaac Pacheco, meh Summer. Not even the top guy with his same giant LHH amateur but not pro SS thing...Luke Leto has the faster bat and got time at CF this Summer
- Early favorite non-first talents: Thaddeus Ector OF, Erian Rodriguez RHSP, Devin Futrell LHP, Ryan Johnson RHP, Travis Garnett LHP, Thatcher Hurd RHP, Micah Ottenbreit RHP, Jonathan Santucci 1B/LHP
- Should be way interesting, way, to see how this nonsense holds up will be on it for sure
BA on Watson in September, when they ranked him among the top 10 HSers:
Fun fact about Irving Carter: He started his HS' state championship game as an 8th grader