2017 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Named After Maddux
Role Player

Re: 2017 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Named After Maddux » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:31 pm

CubsWin wrote:
davell wrote:As for the Cubs draft, it'll be interesting to see if anything changed today. If Lange was set for slot, the savings would then have allowed the Cubs to offer slightly over 400K to a guy today....

I'd be thrilled to get Meredith, although he had wanted 700k, I think. Doubt Ruth would take that either.

But, Karp and/or Vines seem like solid possibilities, if we did find our way into some extra cash today.

FWIW, both are marked in red at CCDT. Certainly not an official team designation with no announcements as of yet. 14th round prep SS Luis Vazquez would be the most likely recipient of any left over cash, but who knows...

Here's the official list of signings:

Unfortunately no major surprises. We did get Vazquez. Hopefully we can bring Rasmussen and/or Conlon
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
davell wrote:As for the Cubs draft, it'll be interesting to see if anything changed today. If Lange was set for slot, the savings would then have allowed the Cubs to offer slightly over 400K to a guy today....

I'd be thrilled to get Meredith, although he had wanted 700k, I think. Doubt Ruth would take that either.

But, Karp and/or Vines seem like solid possibilities, if we did find our way into some extra cash today.

FWIW, both are marked in red at CCDT. Certainly not an official team designation with no announcements as of yet. 14th round prep SS Luis Vazquez would be the most likely recipient of any left over cash, but who knows...

Here's the official list of signings:

Unfortunately no major surprises. We did get Vazquez. Hopefully we can bring Rasmussen and/or Conlon

Nice. I'll take it.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Very nice class. But yeah, we need to add one of those two. Hell, both of them lol.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Eulmen's got a deceptive delivery and was a decent pitcher in college.

Players that stand out early:

Lange
Little
Estrada
Eulmen
Filiere
The two HS hitters, Vazquez the SS was one of the younger players in the draft
R. Tyler Thomas
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:50 pm

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ml ... 7OQ6PiO.97

Inside here, it says Tampa wants their draft pick, based on how Rasmussen fulfilled his MRI stuff for the draft....He MAY be granted FA, but will go back to school otherwise.....
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:
KingCubsFan wrote:If there's an issue with his arm, I'd rather just take the comp pick next year and try again on somebody healthy.

I hope it doesn't kill off Velázquez and Estrada as well. That's a big chunk of draft talent.

Velazquez has already signed so they made that work without Lange. Can't see Estrada coming without Lange's money, but I agree with KingCubsFan on taking the comp pick. With pitchers' health already so iffy, I'd rather start from scratch with a first rounder next year than take damaged goods this year just to try to sign Estrada.

Been busy all day and missed this. I 100% agree with walking away entirely if Lange's medicals weren't terrific. Estrada is a nice talent to add to the system, but as you said, he's not worth taking damaged goods 30th overall. Hell, many scouts think Lange is a reliever anyway and then you want to throw less than ideal medicals on top of it? That whole situation sucks.
0 x

Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Postby Infrequent Poster » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:14 am

5th-rder Nelson Velazquez, $400k per Callis tweet.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:07 am

So I didn't follow the late signings -- was kinda busy this past week. Huh, our 5th-rounder (N. Velazquez) got more than I thought he would initially. I believe the Twins signed Puerto Rican HS SS Ricardo De la Torre for $550K, and he was much more highly rated than Velazquez.

Anyway, so something came up during the physical for RHP - A. Lange, but does anyone know what it is specifically? I wonder if it's just a bone spur or very slight wear-and-tear. If the concern has anything to do with the AC joint or Rotator Cuff or just the shoulder in general I wish the Cubs just moved on and recoup the pick for next year. Trying to find out what it was, but I can't find anything...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:55 am

Not that you can take anything from it, but Theo called it a "procedural" issue. Considering the amount they gave him, my guess is whatever it was, it wasn't too significant. I think they had the ability to sign Velázquez and Estrada, without inking him.(could be wrong) And if that's the case, my guess is they'd have definitely passed on Lange, if it was important. May have anyway.
0 x

Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Postby Infrequent Poster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Any Cubs buzz attached to him?

Kendall Rogers‏@KendallRogersD1

Hearing that newly declared free agent, A&M signee Jack Conlon, is likely to sign in the next couple of days. Not expected in CS.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Infrequent Poster wrote:Any Cubs buzz attached to him?

Hearing that newly declared free agent, A&M signee Jack Conlon, is likely to sign in the next couple of days. Not expected in CS.

I'm sure if the Cubs like him, they won't mind spending this type of money, even if it's an overpay. It's a chance to acquire oversloted draft talent like you used to be able to two CBAs ago:

0 x

Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Postby Infrequent Poster » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I'm sure if the Cubs like him, they won't mind spending this type of money, even if it's an overpay. It's a chance to acquire oversloted draft talent like you used to be able to two CBAs ago:

Giants win bidding.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:35 pm

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Infrequent Poster wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Giants win bidding.

FYI, he chose to go to Texas A&M after verbally agreeing with the Giants. Very weird situation.
0 x

Denmaz
bench player

Postby Denmaz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 pm

-- snipped before I get an email from BA --

Please do not post the entire content of articles - Tim.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Meant to post that. Thanks! Here's the link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/20 ... ks4lUod.97
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”