2017 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2017 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 pm

davell wrote:

Callis confirms:

0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 pm

If Velázquez is signing for slot, it'd actually still have given us a bit to play with.....We could conceivably offer a guy a bit over 450k, after saving a decent amount on Lange.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Between him and Rasmussen, the Cubs need to get one of them.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Postby Infrequent Poster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/hudsonbelinsky/status/883435901862412288

Question - They can only go to $125K without potential penalty though, right?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Nice to hear on Lange. I would have taken the pick if there was anything serious and arm related, but since they signed him I will go back to being optimistic towards him the most legit SP prospect currently in the org.

So Estrada joins Albertos and Marquez as mysterious but possibly high upside 18 YO arms...This CF joins a pretty large pool of very young switch hitters playing up the middle...Isn't the unsigned SS they drafted a switch hitter too? I like the approach, eggs in many baskets, and the payoff from hitting on one would make all the time and effort worthwhile.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Infrequent Poster wrote:
davell wrote:

Well, they might have some wiggle room depending on what Vazquez signed for but yes, they'll have to fit any free agents under their cap.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Infrequent Poster wrote:
davell wrote:https://twitter.com/hudsonbelinsky/status/883435901862412288

Edit- Raisin's reply seems much more palatable, than what I originally had here.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Including the overage, the Cubs can go as high as $572,450 on Vazquez. His slot is $285,800.
0 x

Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Postby Infrequent Poster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks guys. Didn't know with CBA changes.

Belinsky tweet could have added subject to cap restrictions or something.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Infrequent Poster wrote:Thanks guys. Didn't know with CBA changes.

Yeah. I'll play devils advocate though. I'd say there IS a "chance" that these guys are allowed to sign, unrestricted by the draft. Have no idea what MRI Program consists of. If for no other reason, the player is screwed by teams having all their money tied up already....Giving them that "opportunity" isn't much of one.....

So, I'll hold out a slim bit of hope they're true FA....

On Conlon, it sounds moot, as he seems headed to A&M....
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 pm

The tweet reads as if they're unrestricted FAs.

Edit: I just checked and the Conlon tweet on this page literally says that he's unrestricted and free to sign with the highest bidder.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Things definitely could've changed with the new CBA. That was the rule with the old CBA.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:13 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:The tweet reads as if they're unrestricted FAs.

Edit: I just checked and the Conlon tweet on this page literally says that he's unrestricted and free to sign with the highest bidder.

That's why I'm torn on what it truly means too. But what else can he be called? He's not a UDFA, because he was obviously drafted.....I can't remember the last time I've heard of a Restricted Free Agent in MLB.....

That's why I'm still kind of thinking it means just as it says.....Unrestricted. If it were tied to draft bonuses, he'd be Restricted....
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:18 pm

davell wrote:

Yeah. I'll play devils advocate though. I'd say there IS a "chance" that these guys are allowed to sign, unrestricted by the draft. Have no idea what MRI Program consists of. If for no other reason, the player is screwed by teams having all their money tied up already....Giving them that "opportunity" isn't much of one.....

Devils advocate on that: Why wouldn't certain players then game the system and get numerous teams to bid them up to a 7- or 8-figure bonus?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:

Devils advocate on that: Why wouldn't certain players then game the system and get numerous teams to bid them up to a 7- or 8-figure bonus?

Wouldn't they have to fail a physical?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm

He's 100% clear. No ties to draft.
0 x

Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Postby Infrequent Poster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Edit - already covered.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:31 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:

Yeah, I agree, that this can be a very bad look.....Conlon, likely agreed to sign for a mill or so, fails his physical, hits the open market, and triples his ask....
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:31 pm

davell wrote:

He's 100% clear. No ties to draft.

Looks like I'm incorrect. Sounds like he has a strong commitment but I wonder if uncapped money would do the trick. Would be nice if the Cubs could pounce on him or Rasmussen (and we know they were pretty interested in Rasmussen).
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:39 pm

From BA:

Conlon ranked No. 239 on the BA500 prior to the draft. His pre-draft scouting report:

Some projectable prospects are able, and others are projects. At the beginning of the 2016 summer showcase circuit, Conlon was more of a project. He showed plus arm speed and durable body, but he struggled to repeat his mechanics and had a severe head whack. He improved throughout the summer, and threw quality strikes as the circuit progressed. That progress continued this spring, when Conlon came out with a much cleaner, easier delivery and in outstanding physical shape. His fastball works consistently in the low 90s and touches 95 mph and Conlon has feel for a sharp slider that competes in the strike zone. He’s flashes some feel for a changeup, but the pitch is far from what it could be with more reps. Conlon is praised for his attitude and approach to the game, as well as his work ethic and desire to improve. He has the arm speed and the frame to eventually sit in the mid 90s and touch higher. Conlon is committed to Texas A&M, where he could develop into a high draft pick, but some pro teams have expressed significant interest in him this spring.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/un ... MpBcUp0.99

Good attitude, work ethic and approach along with the classic pitcher's frame at 6'5". Took the initiative to get in better shape, fix a head whip and improve his mechanics. Sounds like the Cubs might be interested.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:43 pm

As for the Cubs draft, it'll be interesting to see if anything changed today. If Lange was set for slot, the savings would then have allowed the Cubs to offer slightly over 400K to a guy today....

I'd be thrilled to get Meredith, although he had wanted 700k, I think. Doubt Ruth would take that either.

But, Karp and/or Vines seem like solid possibilities, if we did find our way into some extra cash today.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:57 pm

Callis isn't sure yet (and he's one of the best):

0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm

davell wrote:As for the Cubs draft, it'll be interesting to see if anything changed today. If Lange was set for slot, the savings would then have allowed the Cubs to offer slightly over 400K to a guy today....

I'd be thrilled to get Meredith, although he had wanted 700k, I think. Doubt Ruth would take that either.

But, Karp and/or Vines seem like solid possibilities, if we did find our way into some extra cash today.

FWIW, both are marked in red at CCDT. Certainly not an official team designation with no announcements as of yet. 14th round prep SS Luis Vazquez would be the most likely recipient of any left over cash, but who knows...
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:11 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Callis isn't sure yet (and he's one of the best):

He also wasn't sure on Velasquez who tweeted a picture of his locker in Mesa a couple of days ago. He's a busy man right now, though...
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Yeah, I think BA got to the bottom of things before Calli's could......

The only reason I hold out ANY hope on Meredith, is he said if they met his money at the last minutes he'd sign.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”