2018 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88436
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 396
x 1657

2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 pm

BA's watch list, top 10 HS and college guys: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/20 ... ?amphtml=1

  • Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
  • Nick Madrigal, SS/2B, Oregon State
  • Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida
  • Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
  • Jeremy Eierman, SS/3B, Missouri State
  • Tristan Pompey, OF, Kentucky
  • Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
  • Joey Bart, C, Georgia Tech
  • Seth Beer, OF/DH, Clemson
  • Konnor Pilkington, LHP, Mississippi State

  • Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (Corona, CA)
  • Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (Cummings, GA)
  • Kumar Rocker, RHP, North Oconee HS (Bogart, GA)
  • Will Banfield, C, Brookwood HS (Snellville, GA)
  • Nander De Sedas, SS, Monteverde Academy (FL)
  • Luke Bartnicki, LHP, Walton HS (Marietta, GA)
  • Jarred Kelenic, OF, West HS (Waukesha, WI)
  • Slade Cecconi, RHP, Trinity Prep HS (Winter Park, FL)
  • Mason Denaburg, RHP/C, Merrit Island HS (FL)
  • Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS (Melbourne, FL)

A couple guys I like who weren't mentioned:

Luken Baker, 1B/RHP, TCU
Tristan Beck, RHP, Stanford
Kyle Molnar, RHP, UCLA (had TJS after his freshman year)
Justin Hooper, LHP, UCLA
Joey Demers, RHP, Washington
0 x
Image

ddwyer
Role Player
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:42 pm
Location: Onalaska, WI

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby ddwyer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Jarred Kelenic, OF, West HS (Waukesha, WI)

I live in Wisconsin and it is surprising to see a HS prospect listed this high. Was it UK that provided his name in the 2017 draft discussion?
0 x

Hrubes20
Role Player
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm
x 18

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA's watch list, top 10 HS and college guys: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/20 ... ?amphtml=1

  • Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
  • Nick Madrigal, SS/2B, Oregon State
  • Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida
  • Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
  • Jeremy Eierman, SS/3B, Missouri State
  • Tristan Pompey, OF, Kentucky
  • Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
  • Joey Bart, C, Georgia Tech
  • Seth Beer, OF/DH, Clemson
  • Konnor Pilkington, LHP, Mississippi State

  • Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (Corona, CA)
  • Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (Cummings, GA)
  • Kumar Rocker, RHP, North Oconee HS (Bogart, GA)
  • Will Banfield, C, Brookwood HS (Snellville, GA)
  • Nander De Sedas, SS, Monteverde Academy (FL)
  • Luke Bartnicki, LHP, Walton HS (Marietta, GA)
  • Jarred Kelenic, OF, West HS (Waukesha, WI)
  • Slade Cecconi, RHP, Trinity Prep HS (Winter Park, FL)
  • Mason Denaburg, RHP/C, Merrit Island HS (FL)
  • Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS (Melbourne, FL)

A couple guys I like who weren't mentioned:

Luken Baker, 1B/RHP, TCU
Tristan Beck, RHP, Stanford
Kyle Molnar, RHP, UCLA (had TJS after his freshman year)
Justin Hooper, LHP, UCLA
Joey Demers, RHP, Washington


He's really cut down the walks in the Cape so far this summer.
0 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4349
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 162
x 258

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Baker's going to get knocked for being both a 1B and a RH 1B at that, especially since he got hurt, but he was on his way to be a truly elite prospect as a freshman. Madrigal's got alot to like but where's the power? Pompey could be fun if he can play CF.
0 x

User avatar
UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20039
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 82
x 139

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby UK » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:13 am

ddwyer wrote:Jarred Kelenic, OF, West HS (Waukesha, WI)

I live in Wisconsin and it is surprising to see a HS prospect listed this high. Was it UK that provided his name in the 2017 draft discussion?


Yes, he's by far the best position prospect I've seen in 13 years. Odorizzi and Folty are the best pitchers I've seen but at this point, Kelenic is higher than him, IMO.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88436
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 396
x 1657

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:29 pm

The Under Armour All-America Game is today at Wrigley: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/244914356 ... me-preview
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88436
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 396
x 1657

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:40 am

Jim Callis' top 10 college prospects for the 2018 draft: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/249819104 ... =151437456

1. Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
2. Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida
3. Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
4. Nick Madrigal, 2B/SS, Oregon State
5. Griffin Conine, OF, Duke - Jeff Conine's son
6. Jeremy Eirman, SS, Missouri State
7. Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
8. Seth Beer, 1B, Clemson
9. Ryan Rolison, LHP, Mississippi
10. Logan Gilbert, RHP, Stetson

Callis said Kentucky OF Tristan Pompey would have been 11th.

Jonathan Mayo's top 10 HS prospects for the 2018 draft: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/249942466 ... =151437456

1. Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (Corona, CA)
2. Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (Cumming, GA)
3. Kumar Rocker, RHP, North Oconee HS (Bogart, GA)
4. Matt Liberatore, LHP, Mountain Ridge HS (Glendale, AZ)
5. Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha West HS (Waukesha, WI)
6. Will Banfield, C, Brookwood HS (Snellville, GA)
7. Nolan Gorman, 3B, Sandra Day O'Connor HS (Phoenix, AZ)
8. Ryan Weathers, LHP, Loretto HS (Loretto, TN) - David Weathers' son
9. Mason Denaburg, RHP/C, Merritt Island HS (Merritt Island, FL)
10. Nander de Sedas, SS, Montverde Academy (Montverde, FL)
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88436
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 396
x 1657

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:54 am

BA's top 10 Cape Cod League Prospects: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... BRhflkG.97

1. Greyson Jenista, OF, Wichita State
2. Griffin Conine, OF, Duke
3. Ryan Rollison, LHP, Mississippi
4. Logan Gilbert, RHP, Stetson
5. Tyler Baum, RHP, UNC (2019 draft)
6. Tristan Pompey, OF, Kentucky
7. Alec Bohm, 1B/3B, Wichita State
8. Tanner Dodson, RHP/OF, Cal
9. Kris Bubic, LHP, Stanford
10. Zach Hess, RHP, LSU (2019 draft)

D1Baseball.com's top 10 Cape Cod League Prospects: https://d1baseball.com/premium/cape-cod ... ects-1-25/

1. Ryan Rollison, LHP, Ole Miss
2. Logan Gilbert, RHP, Stetson
3. Griffin Conine, OF, Duke
4. Austin Bergner, RHP, UNC
5. Jeremy Eirman, SS, Missouri State
6. Alec Bohm, 1B/3B, Wichita State
7. Greyson Jenista, OF, Wichita State
8. Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor (2019 draft)
9. Hogan Harris, LHP, Louisiana-Lafayette
10. Kris Bubic, LHP, Stanford

BA's top 10 Team USA prospects: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... tpbtwsK.97

1. Nick Madrigal, 2B/SS, Oregon State
2. Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
3. Seth Beer, 1B/OF, Clemson
4. Casey Mize, RHP, AUburn
5. Steele Walker, OF, Oklahoma
6. Jeremy Eirman, SS/3B, Missouri State
7. Konnor Pilkington, LHP, Mississippi State
8. Tim Cate, LHP, Connecticut
9. Cadyn Grenier, SS, Oregon State
10. Steven Gingery, LHP, Texas Tech
0 x
Image

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 43694
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 61
x 1534
Contact:

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 am

You just know that Cape Cod list is the one the Cubs are looking at.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88436
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 396
x 1657

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:52 pm

BA way too early mock draft: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ml ... BO6cjtt.99

24. Cubs: Physical size and a heavy low-90s fastball put Georgia's Cole Wilcox on the radar of any team that needs homegrown pitching.

PICK: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Heritage HS, Ringgold, Ga.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Regular Show
Starter
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 579
x 76

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Regular Show » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA way too early mock draft: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/ml ... BO6cjtt.99

24. Cubs: Physical size and a heavy low-90s fastball put Georgia's Cole Wilcox on the radar of any team that needs homegrown pitching.

PICK: Cole Wilcox, RHP, Heritage HS, Ringgold, Ga.


I don't really understand the point of doing a mock draft this early, but I guess fans and readers enjoy it. It seems like this draft class is better than previous years and is really rich in pitching prospects. I know J. Callis and some other writers are really high on this upcoming draft class.

I know very little about C. Wilcox, but at this very early juncture the guy I really want the Cubs to take is RHP - C. Stewart. That curveball is insane, and I was surprised he went to the Angels at #17.
1 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
All-Star
Posts: 4349
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 162
x 258

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:47 am

Liberatore seems like a potentially badass HS LHSP prospect. The Cubs should arrange for his fall to 24 unless there's a bat to be had.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88436
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 396
x 1657

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Scout.com early top 15: https://scout.com/mlb/scouting/Article/ ... 698859/Amp

1. Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
2. Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (GA)
3. Nander De Sedas, SS, Monteverde Academy (FL)
4. Nick Madrigal, SS, Oregon State
5. Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (CA)
6. Tristan Pompey, OF, Kentucky
7. Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha West HS (WI)
8. Kumar Rocker, RHP, North Oconee HS (GA)
9. Jeremy Eierman, SS, Missouri State
10. Matt Liberatore, LHP, Mountain Ridge HS (AZ)
11. Nolan Gorman, 3B/SS, Sandra Day O'Connor HS (AZ)
12. Ryan Rollison, LHP, Ole MIss
13. Brady SInger, RHP, Florida
14. Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida
15. Griffin Conine, RHP, Duke
0 x
Image

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58388
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5659
x 3421

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

not a 2018 draft prospect, but i had no idea jaden agassi (andre and steffi graf's son) is a (somewhat?) highly regarded recruit out of vegas. committed to usc for 2020.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Regular Show
Starter
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 579
x 76

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 pm

David wrote:not a 2018 draft prospect, but i had no idea jaden agassi (andre and steffi graf's son) is a (somewhat?) highly regarded recruit out of vegas. committed to usc for 2020.


Huh, wow that's surprising. Man, you'd think he would be into tennis with those kind of genes. Then again A. Agassi claimed he started to resent playing tennis because of his demanding father.

I wonder if he's ever met K. Bryant's dad or gotten hitting lessons with him.
0 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58388
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 5659
x 3421

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby David » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Regular Show wrote:
David wrote:not a 2018 draft prospect, but i had no idea jaden agassi (andre and steffi graf's son) is a (somewhat?) highly regarded recruit out of vegas. committed to usc for 2020.


Huh, wow that's surprising. Man, you'd think he would be into tennis with those kind of genes. Then again A. Agassi claimed he started to resent playing tennis because of his demanding father.

I wonder if he's ever met K. Bryant's dad or gotten hitting lessons with him.


yeah, both of them resented tennis and i'm pretty sure went out of their way not to steer their kids toward tennis
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

r_mack
Role Player
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 12
x 10

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby r_mack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 am

MLB felt bad about the hacking penalties so rewarded the Cardinals with a competitive balance pick
Competitive Balance picks for 2018 @MLBDraft:
Round A
31 @Pirates
32 #Rays (Comp from '17)
33 @Orioles
34 @Padres
35 @Dbacks
36 @Royals
37 @Indians
38 @Rockies
39 @Cardinals
Round B
70 @Marlins
71 @Athletics
72 @RaysBaseball
73 @Reds
74 @Brewers
75 @Twins
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm
x 1
x 54

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Tryptamine » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:27 pm

r_mack wrote:MLB felt bad about the hacking penalties so rewarded the Cardinals with a competitive balance pick
Competitive Balance picks for 2018 @MLBDraft:
Round A
31 @Pirates
32 #Rays (Comp from '17)
33 @Orioles
34 @Padres
35 @Dbacks
36 @Royals
37 @Indians
38 @Rockies
39 @Cardinals
Round B
70 @Marlins
71 @Athletics
72 @RaysBaseball
73 @Reds
74 @Brewers
75 @Twins


If I had the ability to change one rule in MLB it would be this one. It's a very large advantage for team's like BAL and STL who basically carry top 10 payrolls as it is.
0 x


Return to “Amateur Baseball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest