2018 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 08, 2018 5:31 pm

BA mock. Not crazy about drafting a prep catcher: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

Anthony Seigler Cartersville (Ga.) HS C
VIDEO
Notes:
Seigler has done a lot to raise his stock this spring, hitting with authority from both sides of the plate and playing solid defense behind the plate. At this point he should be the first prep catcher off the board aside from Noah Naylor (who many teams might prefer to push as a third baseman) and several teams sound interested in this range.

Rodriguez went 10, Larnach 21, Rocker 22, Casas 23, Weathers 25, Eierman 26, Scott 27, and Denaburg 32. Jonathan India went 4!
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue May 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Siegler's interesting, he's a switch hitting ambidexterous C/P, but I find it very hard to believe he's the best and highest upside play on the board. Weathers is right there for the taking!

Hot take: Grayson Rodriguez is overrated af and one of those HS players getting a boost because he's going to sign.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 08, 2018 5:52 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA mock. Not crazy about drafting a prep catcher: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

VIDEO
Notes:
Seigler has done a lot to raise his stock this spring, hitting with authority from both sides of the plate and playing solid defense behind the plate. At this point he should be the first prep catcher off the board aside from Noah Naylor (who many teams might prefer to push as a third baseman) and several teams sound interested in this range.

Rodriguez went 10, Larnach 21, Rocker 22, Casas 23, Weathers 25, Eierman 26, Scott 27, and Denaburg 32. Jonathan India went 4!

Yeah, I'm not big on taking a HS catcher in the first round. Too risky and recent history says it's a bad idea. Where did Carter Stewart and Cole Winn go?
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue May 08, 2018 6:11 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA mock. Not crazy about drafting a prep catcher: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

VIDEO
Notes:

Rodriguez is definitely a big helium guy, but someone I'd love in the 2nd is Adam Kloffenstein. He has a bit of a Grayson Rodriguez starter package.
Kloffenstein from MLB Pipeline:
Kloffenstein can work in the low 90s with heavy sink on his two-seam fastball and hit 96 mph with his four-seamer. He has advanced feel for a breaking ball, showing the ability to morph his sharp slider into a bigger-breaking curveball or a harder cutter. He also has a deceptive changeup with tumble that lacks consistency but also can be his best pitch at times.

At 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, Kloffenstein has a frame built for durability and also the room to add some more strength. He's athletic and repeats his delivery well, allowing him to throw strikes. He's a tough competitor who can get overly animated on the mound, but the only real knock against him is that he may difficult to sign away from Texas Christian.

Rodriguez from MLB Pipeline:
Like Forrest Whitley two years ago, Rodriguez is a Texas prep right-hander who could land in the first round after improving his physical conditioning and seeing his stuff and stock take a significant step forward. He led Central Heights (Nacogdoches) to the Texas state 3-A title as a two-way star in 2017, then consistently worked in the low 90s on the showcase circuit. This spring, he repeatedly has topped out at 97 or 98 mph.

Rodriguez's fastball sits at 92-94 mph with heavy life that should turn wood bats into kindling. He has an array of promising secondary pitches, with most scouts preferring his low-80s slider to his mid-70s curveball, though the latter has nice shape. He hasn't had much need for a changeup but shows the potential to have an average one.

Rodriguez is a decent athlete who uses a controlled delivery that allows him to provide strikes on a regular basis. His 6-foot-5 frame and high-three-quarters slot create steep downhill plane with his pitches.

We definitely have a bit of room to take some HS talent in the first couple rounds.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Regular Show wrote:

VIDEO
Notes:

Yeah, I'm not big on taking a HS catcher in the first round. Too risky and recent history says it's a bad idea. Where did Carter Stewart and Cole Winn go?

Winn went 11, Stewart 15 and, you didn’t ask but Hankins went 17.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Winn went 11, Stewart 15 and, you didn’t ask but Hankins went 17.

Thanks. So we might have a chance at one of them if they start sliding or other players start rising, but it looks doubtful right now.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue May 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:

VIDEO
Notes:

Rodriguez is definitely a big helium guy, but someone I'd love in the 2nd is Adam Kloffenstein. He has a bit of a Grayson Rodriguez starter package.
Kloffenstein from MLB Pipeline:
Kloffenstein can work in the low 90s with heavy sink on his two-seam fastball and hit 96 mph with his four-seamer. He has advanced feel for a breaking ball, showing the ability to morph his sharp slider into a bigger-breaking curveball or a harder cutter. He also has a deceptive changeup with tumble that lacks consistency but also can be his best pitch at times.

At 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, Kloffenstein has a frame built for durability and also the room to add some more strength. He's athletic and repeats his delivery well, allowing him to throw strikes. He's a tough competitor who can get overly animated on the mound, but the only real knock against him is that he may difficult to sign away from Texas Christian.

Rodriguez from MLB Pipeline:
Like Forrest Whitley two years ago, Rodriguez is a Texas prep right-hander who could land in the first round after improving his physical conditioning and seeing his stuff and stock take a significant step forward. He led Central Heights (Nacogdoches) to the Texas state 3-A title as a two-way star in 2017, then consistently worked in the low 90s on the showcase circuit. This spring, he repeatedly has topped out at 97 or 98 mph.

Rodriguez's fastball sits at 92-94 mph with heavy life that should turn wood bats into kindling. He has an array of promising secondary pitches, with most scouts preferring his low-80s slider to his mid-70s curveball, though the latter has nice shape. He hasn't had much need for a changeup but shows the potential to have an average one.

Rodriguez is a decent athlete who uses a controlled delivery that allows him to provide strikes on a regular basis. His 6-foot-5 frame and high-three-quarters slot create steep downhill plane with his pitches.

We definitely have a bit of room to take some HS talent in the first couple rounds.

Kloffenstein > Rodriguez

Better athlete, better delivery, better command and command potential, more pitchability...I think his whole repetoire has more potential as well.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 pm

I've been hearing Cole Wilcox is moving up fast -- like consideration for a top 10 pick now. I didn't know he had a plus changeup. Keith Law wrote a pretty glowing review of Wilcox from their matchup too. He was down on Kumar Rocker and I believe his stock is falling.

0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu May 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Juan
2:53 Is there a legitimate chance that the Cubs go with a high-upside prep guy in the 1st round to stimulate their system?
Eric A Longenhagen
2:53 I doubt it.

That's the only Cubs tidbit from the FG or Law chats this week.

Hopefully this means position player, I can't see an upside college pitcher at 24 that I like enough.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 pm

davell wrote:Juan
2:53 Is there a legitimate chance that the Cubs go with a high-upside prep guy in the 1st round to stimulate their system?
Eric A Longenhagen

Hopefully this means position player, I can't see an upside college pitcher at 24 that I like enough.

I tried doing a mock draft and ended up with Zach Watson from LSU to the Cubs at 24. Rocker to the Twins and Weathers to the Yankees
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Eric A Longenhagen

I tried doing a mock draft and ended up with Zach Watson from LSU to the Cubs at 24.

The FG guys mentioned Rocker was being looked at by the Blue Jays in the 2nd. Literally nothing else was said, so don't know if that's them EXPECTING he'll be there, if they're going cheap in the 1st, or any other myriad of questions that statement can bring up.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 pm

davell wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Eric A Longenhagen

I tried doing a mock draft and ended up with Zach Watson from LSU to the Cubs at 24.

The FG guys mentioned Rocker was being looked at by the Blue Jays in the 2nd. Literally nothing else was said, so don't know if that's them EXPECTING he'll be there, if they're going cheap in the 1st, or any other myriad of questions that statement can bring up.

I have Grayson Rodriguez to the Blue Jays. He's a signable HSer, a big factor in his rise IMO, and the Blue Jays have a history of drafting big sinker/breaking ball HS guys going back to Halladay and Carpenter along with Aaron Sanchez.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Eric A Longenhagen

I tried doing a mock draft and ended up with Zach Watson from LSU to the Cubs at 24. Rocker to the Twins and Weathers to the Yankees

I'm confused.

Is there a website or simulator you use to do this mock draft or are you just scratching one out on paper? I mean I remember trying to do this for fun many, many years ago and I sucked at it. It's really hard. To do a somewhat realistic mock draft you need good sources and lots of info. I mean good luck in trying to hammer one out I guess.

Zach Watson to the Cubs is ... a curious choice.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 pm

I was just fumbling around because I had time and didn't feel like reading. I actually lost that first mock so here's another completely made up one. I'm a poster on a message board, it's fodder:

1 - Tigers: Alec Bohm - This should surprise no one if they choose the college bat but will anyway for reasons
2 - Giants: Casey Mize - Great fit for their park, I like the Tanaka comp in multiple ways but think he'll just do better
3 - Phillies: Matthew Liberatore
4 - White Sox: Jonathan India - Makes sense to me since he didn't break his wrist, did mash, and offers them an IF bat prospect to go with Robert and Collins in the OF and at catcher
5 - Reds: Kyler Murray - The first real surprise. They're willing to gamble drafting 6 next year when the org direction will be more decisive. He's made big gains this spring, they've put a premium on tools, and have had some success with football athletes (Taylor Trammel) in the draft
6 - Mets: Nick Madrigal - The Mets get lucky but Mets lucky where the drafted hitter broke his wrist(?) draft year
7 - Padres: Jared Kelenic
8 - Braves: Joey Bart -Deep in pitching the Braves take the best C in the draft
9 - Atheltics: Travis Swaggerty - A's aren't shying away from his track record and tools because of some swing and miss
10 - Pirates: Carter Stewart - Spin obsessed org gets their guy
11 - Orioles: Nolan Gorman
12 - Blue Jays: Grayson Rodriguez
13 - Marlins: Tristan Casas - They're very hard to mock with a new FO, I go home state kid with the big bat
14 - Mariners: Cole Wilcox
15 - Rangers: Ethan Hankins
16 - Rays: Connor Scott
17 - Angels: Brady Singer
18 - Royals: Jordan Groshans - This is all about his frame and the potential to mash while staying in the IF
19 - Cardinals: Tristan Pompey - Dexter Fowler starter kit. I was also thinking Nander de Sadas with their recent HS bat run
20 - Twins: Kumar Rocker - They've taken the dive on premium tools from Georgia before, park is a great fit
21 - Brewers: Greyson Jenista - They pounce on the proven college bat still on the board
22 - Rockies: Jordyn Adams - I almost went Noah Naylor here since I think he's a first round talent
23: Yankees: Ryan Weathers - Another team sprinting to the podium
24: Cubs: Shane McClanahan - Hey, things work out as the team could use a power LH that might move fast

Cubs' other picks:

63: Jameson Hannah - Three year college bat that also hit in the Cape

76: Xavier Edwards

77: Brett Hansen

98: Steven Gingery - Two pre-injured college pitchers!
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 10, 2018 11:51 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I was just fumbling around because I had time and didn't feel like reading. I actually lost that first mock so here's another completely made up one. I'm a poster on a message board, it's fodder:

1 - Tigers: Alec Bohm - This should surprise no one if they choose the college bat but will anyway for reasons
2 - Giants: Casey Mize - Great fit for their park, I like the Tanaka comp in multiple ways but think he'll just do better
3 - Phillies: Matthew Liberatore
4 - White Sox: Jonathan India - Makes sense to me since he didn't break his wrist, did mash, and offers them an IF bat prospect to go with Robert and Collins in the OF and at catcher
5 - Reds: Kyler Murray - The first real surprise. They're willing to gamble drafting 6 next year when the org direction will be more decisive. He's made big gains this spring, they've put a premium on tools, and have had some success with football athletes (Taylor Trammel) in the draft
6 - Mets: Nick Madrigal - The Mets get lucky but Mets lucky where the drafted hitter broke his wrist(?) draft year
7 - Padres: Jared Kelenic
8 - Braves: Joey Bart -Deep in pitching the Braves take the best C in the draft
9 - Atheltics: Travis Swaggerty - A's aren't shying away from his track record and tools because of some swing and miss
10 - Pirates: Carter Stewart - Spin obsessed org gets their guy
11 - Orioles: Nolan Gorman
12 - Blue Jays: Grayson Rodriguez
13 - Marlins: Tristan Casas - They're very hard to mock with a new FO, I go home state kid with the big bat
14 - Mariners: Cole Wilcox
15 - Rangers: Ethan Hankins
16 - Rays: Connor Scott
17 - Angels: Brady Singer
18 - Royals: Jordan Groshans - This is all about his frame and the potential to mash while staying in the IF
19 - Cardinals: Tristan Pompey - Dexter Fowler starter kit. I was also thinking Nander de Sadas with their recent HS bat run
20 - Twins: Kumar Rocker - They've taken the dive on premium tools from Georgia before, park is a great fit
21 - Brewers: Greyson Jenista - They pounce on the proven college bat still on the board
22 - Rockies: Jordyn Adams
23: Yankees: Ryan Weathers - Another team sprinting to the podium
24: Cubs: Shane McClanahan - Hey, things work out as the team could use a power LH that might move fast

Cubs' other picks:

63: Jameson Hannah - Three year college bat that also hit in the Cape

76: Xavier Edwards

77: Brett Hansen

98: Steven Gingery - Two pre-injured college pitchers!

So I'm not going to critique your mock draft that much, but I don't think the Cubs could afford Xavier Edwards at #76 unless they went way overslot. I actually think he's going to college or he'll be selected at the beginning of the second round.

Shane McClanahan probably isn't falling all the way to #24, but it'd be awesome if he did.

I do think you're right about Tristan Casas going to the Marlins. That's an industry rumor and it makes sense.

Last thing, Casey Mize is going #1 unless he fails a physical or something weird happens. I like Alec Bohm, but he isn't going #1. I think Mize can move quickly and fits the Tiger's draft philosophy pretty well.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Regular Show wrote:So I'm not going to critique your mock draft that much, but I don't think the Cubs could afford Xavier Edwards at #76 unless they went way overslot. I actually think he's going to college or he'll be selected at the beginning of the second round.

Shane McClanahan probably isn't falling all the way to #24, but it'd be awesome if he did.

I do think you're right about Tristan Casas going to the Marlins. That's an industry rumor and it makes sense.

Last thing, Casey Mize is going #1 unless he fails a physical or something weird happens. I like Alec Bohm, but he isn't going #1. I think Mize can move quickly and fits the Tiger's draft philosophy pretty well.

Agreed on Edwards, I actually had a college player (Watson IIRC) there and felt like jazzing things up a bit

I think Mize at 1/1 is way less of a sure thing than gets put out. He has the skills for it and is a lock for 2 if he isn't the first pick, but I think teams are leaning offense - college offense at that - at the top of the draft. Plus it's just safer to go that route.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 11, 2018 12:10 am

Respect for the time and effort. I'd take that Cubs draft and run. But, I don't see McClanahan dropping THIS far. If he DID, as a RS Soph, I bet he's still looking for way over slot.

MAYBE Hannah comes in slightly under slot, but I figure that's in range for him, so I'd be a bit surprised. Edwards is too tough. Vandy commit and his parents are teachers. If you get him, it's for 1st round money probably.

Gingery is a nice pick. Personally, I'd bet he goes closer to Hannah's spot, but I'd be very happy with him.

I like Hanson. But again, I'd suspect he might want top 30-50 money, as a Vandy guy. Plus, he's a Mormon and I'm not sure how the mission thing affects him and his draft positioning. Or if he's even taking one.

At any rate, I would love that grouping. But, I think we'd have already spent past our entire draft budget.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 am

Man, that’s a lot of helium on Kyler Murray.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Man, that’s a lot of helium on Kyler Murray.

It took three posts! Lol, that was my way of saying I have no idea who makes sense for the Reds at 5. The Mets refuse to be cool and interesting by trading for Votto and Iglesias to officially send the Reds into a clear rebuild. I don't like any pitching matches, there's not really any great obvious fits with the bats, and so I think they should get weird and go for upside tools development ceiling.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 am

We're hearing about all these guys that are moving up. But, who is moving down? There's only 15 spots for top 15 guys and it seems like there's 25 of them to me.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 11, 2018 5:20 am

davell wrote:We're hearing about all these guys that are moving up. But, who is moving down? There's only 15 spots for top 15 guys and it seems like there's 25 of them to me.

There have to be some guys moving down for other guys to move up and overtake them in the draft rankings. Off the top of my head, I'd say Griffin Conine, Brice Turang, Luken Baker, Tim Cate, Tristan Pompey and Brady Singer (he's still highly rated) have fallen in the rankings to some degree.

Mason Denaburg seems like the big one among the highly rated prep arms that have fallen.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 11, 2018 5:29 am

Regular Show wrote:
davell wrote:We're hearing about all these guys that are moving up. But, who is moving down? There's only 15 spots for top 15 guys and it seems like there's 25 of them to me.

There have to be some guys moving down for other guys to move up and overtake them in the draft rankings. Off the top of my head, I'd say Griffin Conine, Brice Turang, Luken Baker, Tim Cate, Tristan Pompey and Brady Singer (he's still highly rated) have fallen in the rankings to some degree.

Mason Denaburg seems like the big one among the highly rated prep arms that have fallen.

Denaburg may be more likely to go to school now. Was Baker ever THAT high? I don't remember seeing him go before our pick at any point this year. Singer has dropped, but is he even dropping outside the top 10?

I think there's a good chance a top 10-12 talent is available to us at 24. Just don't know who.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 11, 2018 6:42 am

davell wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Denaburg may be more likely to go to school now. Was Baker ever THAT high? I don't remember seeing him go before our pick at any point this year. Singer has dropped, but is he even dropping outside the top 10?

I think there's a good chance a top 10-12 talent is available to us at 24. Just don't know who.

Oh, I was just stating draft prospects whose stock has fallen. Singer should still go in the top 10. I don't know who will be available to the Cubs at 24, but yeah we should be getting a good player. There really isn't much separation between 13-40 in the draft rankings in my opinion.

If he falls all the way to 24 I could see the Cubs taking RHP Logan Gilbert. He seems to be flying under the radar a little bit.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 11, 2018 8:55 am

0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 11, 2018 10:47 am

Regular Show wrote:
davell wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Oh, I was just stating draft prospects whose stock has fallen. Singer should still go in the top 10. I don't know who will be available to the Cubs at 24, but yeah we should be getting a good player. There really isn't much separation between 13-40 in the draft rankings in my opinion.

If he falls all the way to 24 I could see the Cubs taking RHP Logan Gilbert. He seems to be flying under the radar a little bit.

He'd make me happy enough, I guess. I'm trying to play process of elimination, on who might be there for us.

These guys will be off the board for sure, by what I can tell.....

RHCP- Mize, Singer

LHCP- McClanahan, Rolison

HSRHP- Stewart, Winn, Wilcox, Rodriguez

HSLHP- Liberatore, Weathers,

CPP- Madrigal, Swaggerty, Bart, India, Bohm, Larnach

HSPP- Kelenic, Gorman, Scott, Turang, Naylor

That's 21 guys I think are extremely likely, most being locks, to be off the board, by the time we pick.

The non locks being Rolison, Larnach, Scott, and Naylor?

The guys I'm NOT mentioning as LOCKS to go before we pick are Rocker, Hankins, Vasil, and Casas.

So, if those guys ARE off the board and we go with a college guy, what's there for us?

Position Players- Eierman, Jenista, Walker, Hoerner, Watson, which seems to be reaches, in most of these instances.

College Pitchers- Kowar, Gilbert, Beck, Hjelle, Knight

Again, this is only if we DO take a college guy in the 1st. Which, I guess think I'd prefer going the HS route, after looking this over.....
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”