2018 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 pm

davell wrote:I like Hannah a bunch. If we were going to under slot a college guy in the 1st, I think he's my top choice.

I might agree with this since intuitively it seems like he has more starting potential than say a Larnach due to bringing speed and defense to the table. Larnach strikes me as a Seth Smith type, the bat will play but the rest of his game will keep his overall value down.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
davell wrote:I like Hannah a bunch. If we were going to under slot a college guy in the 1st, I think he's my top choice.

I might agree with this since intuitively it seems like he has more starting potential than say a Larnach due to bringing speed and defense to the table. Larnach strikes me as a Seth Smith type, the bat will play but the rest of his game will keep his overall value down.

Yeah, it just depends on how his body matures. He's a got a really good OF arm, so he could stick in RF pretty easily as long as he doesn't fill out too much and slow down.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 am

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

Rocker at 23...Jenista at 59...Cole Winn into the top 10...Weathers at 13...Meadows at 43...Childress down to 118...I don't see Steve Hajjar, weird....Brett Hansen at 93...

Updated to top 200...Some newer names for me that caught my eye for non-24 picks:

Jonathan Stiever - Smaller college RH walked 2 in 28 Cape Cod innings
Braydon Fisher - Seems like a signable HS arm as he was uncommited as late as last winter
Josiah Gray
Kerry Wright - 6'5" HS RH, very young for the class
Richard Palacios - LHH college SS (Towson) with a nearly 2/1 BB:K in his three year career and Cape Cod experience
Adam Wolf - 6'6" LH from Louisville
Nick Meyer -Glove first college catcher with interesting size (6'2" 200)
Nick Dunn - Maryland 2B with a .321/.394/.415 slash in over 300 CCL PAs
Brennen Davis - Standout basketball athlete turned HS OF with a premium frame at 6'4"
Brandon Williamson - CC LH commited to TCU next year, some athleticism in his delivery even at 6'5" 2something
Kyle Isbel - LHH college IF/OF

This guy seems like an interesting eligible sophomore if he's healthy:

Hot take reading through that 200:

It's worth it to pay up top. For all the hype around the HS pitching class' depth, fair, there seems to be competent, signable college talent both bat and arm that can allow for a big play up top. OTOH, that just be my bias at work
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Yeah, that updated list was a good read. Plenty of prep guys I hadn’t heard of.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun May 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Typing on my cellphone so the post isn't working quite right...

Anyway, the Tigers really seem like they want to take a hitter with the #1 pick, but Casey Mize is the best prospect in this draft class. It would totally make sense for them to trade down and acquire additional assets if MLB allowed full trading of draft picks like in other professional sports.

It's so frustrating that the Cubs can't move or down to get the guy they really want in the draft. Hopefully, they change this soon or in the next CBA.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Padres acquire the 74th pick from the Twins to take on Phil Hughes and some of his salary.

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Regular Show wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/_mattcombs/status/1000403963232079874

Anyway, the Tigers really seem like they want to take a hitter with the #1 pick, but Casey Mize is the best prospect in this draft class. It would totally make sense for them to trade down and acquire additional assets if MLB allowed full trading of draft picks like in other professional sports.

It's so frustrating that the Cubs can't move or down to get the guy they really want in the draft. Hopefully, they change this soon or in the next CBA.

I fixed your post.

I’m guessing draft pick trades are going to be on the table for the next CBA negotiation unless it’s a nasty fight and they don’t have time for that type of stuff. It felt like introducing trading competitive balance picks was the first step.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Padres acquire the 74th pick from the Twins to take on Phil Hughes and some of his salary.

The Pads are taking on 7.2M next year of Hughes deal. Insinuating that's their evaluations on what 800K in Draft Budget is worth.....
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Ugh:

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Interesting possibly signable HS bat for outside the first:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/5/ ... le-arizona
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon May 28, 2018 12:10 am

Oh well, one less guy that could have been available as an over slot after the first.....
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon May 28, 2018 12:11 am

Mike Vasil withdraws from the draft to honor his commitment to Virginia.

0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon May 28, 2018 3:09 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Mike Vasil withdraws from the draft to honor his commitment to Virginia.

I respect his commitment and dedication to UVA, disagree with the logic.
0 x

1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon May 28, 2018 10:19 am

That's a huge get for UVA if it holds true. Will wait and see, although the top guys that didn't reach UVA in recent years (Wentz/Jones) largely gave indications that they were going to go pro (well, Jones was sorta in b/w, but iirc, had given indication that the right money was needed). Vasil has a good chance to be the Friday night starter from the get-go next year, as UVA's rotation will likely lose 2/3rd of it's weekend guys (hard not to see a team draft Lynch at some point early enough ... there's potential that may be better suited for professional coaches to unlock, what with the UVA pitching approach).
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:39 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/JonathanMayo/status/1000881612152868864?s=19

Oh well, one less guy that could have been available as an over slot after the first.....

That stinks. I guess the kid didn't want a chance at a big league career. Going to UVA effectively ends that.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon May 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:

That stinks. I guess the kid didn't want a chance at a big league career. Going to UVA effectively ends that.

It's a fair critique of recent UVA pitchers, but I would point out that

a) Off the top, and I don't exactly memorize pre-draft prep rankings, Vasil might be the most talented arm to go to UVA in awhile. Hultzen might be a close 2nd, but I feel like Vasil was the better thought of kid.

b) The biggest critique of UVA pitching first goes to the crouch. That said, Daniel Lynch, the enigma that he is, didn't really utilize the crouch. Off the top,

c) Hultzen's failure hangs over the group, but Hultzen admitted that a lot of it was his own fault, as he lacked the structure at UVA to get him back on track when he got side-railed (or words to those extent).

d) I mean ... besides Hultzen, talent wise, from a SP perspective, really ... it's Nathan Kirby, and maybe, maybe Branden Kline. Kirby got injured. I should know what happened to Branden Kline ... I can't think of it right now, but it was an injury. Otherwise, even a guy like Josh Sborz was more a middle relief profile who was a tough as nails pitcher, and same goes for Brandon Waddell. Tyler Wilson was a fringe arm who did long-tossing to improve. Connor Jones stuff backed up senior year, and IIRC, had to do with him getting too muscular and losing touch? I think.

Short of it is, in the end, talent matters, and Vasil would be another notch. And yeah, it's fair to critique UVA pitchers in the pros until they come through, but really, it's a limited sample size that were really top level talent.

Oh, thinking about it, the most talented uVA arm might've been J ... crap what's his first name, Thompson. Still, he was a ground ball guy whose stuff backed up by the time his junior year was done.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 pm

^^^ Connor Jones was around Vasil's range as a HS prospect BUT a very different style of pitcher. Jones was a sinker/breaking ball guy even in HS, Vasil's probably their first straight potential power arm in my memory.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon May 28, 2018 10:51 pm

The bottom line is they've got a fairly negative perception attached to them, when it comes to pitching.

No idea how much Vasil could have gotten from a team at this EXACT point, but I'd get at worst it was in the 1.5 range. And if teams were satisfied with the medicals, he could've gotten 3 from some team.

At any rate, I think it's bad advice to turn down that kind of money. Especially as a pitcher. You can always goto college later. You're no where close to guaranteed to see that kind of bonus again.

I think Jones held out for 3 mill and wound up getting 2nd Round money when he finally left. Hopefully Vasil isn't making the same mistake.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 pm

davell wrote:The bottom line is they've got a fairly negative perception attached to them, when it comes to pitching.

No idea how much Vasil could have gotten from a team at this EXACT point, but I'd get at worst it was in the 1.5 range. And if teams were satisfied with the medicals, he could've gotten 3 from some team.

At any rate, I think it's bad advice to turn down that kind of money. Especially as a pitcher. You can always goto college later. You're no where close to guaranteed to see that kind of bonus again.

I think Jones held out for 3 mill and wound up getting 2nd Round money when he finally left. Hopefully Vasil isn't making the same mistake.

Plus, you're missing out on 3 years of the best year round instructors you'll find anywhere in the world.

I mentioned this to Bruno but if it was my son and he could clear 150-200k after taxes/anything above that at slot & with them paying 100% of school, I would suggest signing.
1 x

1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue May 29, 2018 4:05 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:^^^ Connor Jones was around Vasil's range as a HS prospect BUT a very different style of pitcher. Jones was a sinker/breaking ball guy even in HS, Vasil's probably their first straight potential power arm in my memory.

Was Connor that high out of the prep ranks? I really don't recall, tbh. I knew he was good, but with Nathan Kirby having turned down the draft, Connor sort of always got stacked behind him.

I will say this, if UVA, and their coaches have done a fantastic job since they've gotten there, screw with Vasil's delivery, that's just stupid. It looks ... from what I've seen, clean enough that it shouldn't be an issue.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 29, 2018 5:45 am

Not happy when draft prospects do this, but whatever.

If he really wants to go to college and be overworked his junior year and throw 120+ pitches on short rest then I wish him all the best...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue May 29, 2018 7:11 am

toonsterwu wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:^^^ Connor Jones was around Vasil's range as a HS prospect BUT a very different style of pitcher. Jones was a sinker/breaking ball guy even in HS, Vasil's probably their first straight potential power arm in my memory.

Was Connor that high out of the prep ranks? I really don't recall, tbh. I knew he was good, but with Nathan Kirby having turned down the draft, Connor sort of always got stacked behind him.

I will say this, if UVA, and their coaches have done a fantastic job since they've gotten there, screw with Vasil's delivery, that's just stupid. It looks ... from what I've seen, clean enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Jones was a top 30-50 guy. I think he was higher ranked than Kirby. I know he was mocked in numerous 1sts.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue May 29, 2018 9:24 pm

Carter Stewart took it for Florida, Winn in Cal, Liberatore in Arizona....the track record for national player of the year is actually pretty strong and often ends up going in the top 6
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 am

Good listen for people who are unfamiliar with this draft class and really like Jim Callis.

He starts by saying how this draft class was really talented going into the year and had a chance to match the 2011 draft class, but now says it's not quite that talented. Callis says this draft has great depth, but very little consensus and separation among prospects after Casey Mize.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 30, 2018 2:56 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Regular Show wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/_mattcombs/status/1000403963232079874

I fixed your post.

I’m guessing draft pick trades are going to be on the table for the next CBA negotiation unless it’s a nasty fight and they don’t have time for that type of stuff. It felt like introducing trading competitive balance picks was the first step.

Yeah, I hope it's on the table for the next CBA negotiation, but I feel like the next one is going to be really contentious with a possible lockout/strike situation happening. The Player's Union is really upset over what happened this past offseason. I can see other issues (like trading draft picks) getting pushed back or placed on the back burner.

MLB moves at such a glacial pace when it comes to changing important parts of the game like the amateur draft. Teams being allowed to trade competitive balance picks was an important first step, but we might be stuck at this step for a long time...
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”