2018 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Beck's a pitcher I think fits with this franchise:



His freshman year showed solid contact management skills according to:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/2/ ... among-2018

Maybe I'm moving past extreme prejudice against TJ as quickly as it came. When Gingery went down I got more interested in him for the Cubs. Maybe it's because injuries knock guys like him, with skills but not crazy tools, out of the first? I felt similar about Hooper but he's all tools and no skills. Now I feel he can be had with one of those top 4-10 round picks relatively quietly and developed as a multi-inning reliever candidate.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Stewart hit 98? I am officially on the wagon.


Yeah, in his second start of the year.

There are a lot of well regarded prep arms so maybe one gets lost in the shuffle or has serious injury, but I just have a hard time seeing any of Hankins, Liberatore, Stewart or Denaburg (or even Rocker) falling to 24.


Agreed, the range for that kind of HS arm talent has been like picks 6-19 give or take. This is definitely not a group of players I would bank on being there at 24. Best case there is signability concerns and teams putting their money in college bats, though Rocker's maybe got a shot if he doesn't do anything too exciting this spring.

The player I like that might actually be there at 24 is Greyson Jenista.


Travis Swaggerty probably is that guy for me but he too apparently has a lot of helium.
0 x
Image

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Yeah, in his second start of the year.

There are a lot of well regarded prep arms so maybe one gets lost in the shuffle or has serious injury, but I just have a hard time seeing any of Hankins, Liberatore, Stewart or Denaburg (or even Rocker) falling to 24.


Agreed, the range for that kind of HS arm talent has been like picks 6-19 give or take. This is definitely not a group of players I would bank on being there at 24. Best case there is signability concerns and teams putting their money in college bats, though Rocker's maybe got a shot if he doesn't do anything too exciting this spring.

The player I like that might actually be there at 24 is Greyson Jenista.


Travis Swaggerty probably is that guy for me but he too apparently has a lot of helium.


Yeah, I think the FanGraphs guys have been saying he might sneak into the top ten. He'd be ideal as a guy who might both play CF and leadoff, but I don't think the Cubs get a shot at him.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 pm

On that note, BA's first draft tracker: https://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2 ... AZCzfqP.97

Stock Rising:

Travis Swaggerty | OF | South Alabama
Mason Denaburg | RHP | Merritt Island (Fla.) High
Carter Stewart | RHP | Eau Gallie High, Melbourne, Fla.
Trevor Larnach | OF | Oregon State

Stock Falling:

Nander De Sedas | SS | Montverde (Fla.) Academy
Jeremy Eierman | SS | Missouri State

On the Mend:

Nick Madrigal | 2B | Oregon State
Ethan Hankins | RHP | Forsyth Central High, Cumming, Ga.
Slade Cecconi | RHP | Trinity Prep High, Winter Park, Fla.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1238
x 363

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Stewart hit 98? I am officially on the wagon.


Yeah, in his second start of the year.

There are a lot of well regarded prep arms so maybe one gets lost in the shuffle or has serious injury, but I just have a hard time seeing any of Hankins, Liberatore, Stewart or Denaburg (or even Rocker) falling to 24.


Yeah, we might not get a chance at any of those HS arms you listed at #24, but we should get the chance to draft a very good prospect. This draft class looks stellar, especially in terms of pitching at both the HS and college level.

There are some interesting hitters in this draft as well.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm
x 8
x 47

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:11 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:On that note, BA's first draft tracker: https://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2 ... AZCzfqP.97

Stock Rising:

Travis Swaggerty | OF | South Alabama
Mason Denaburg | RHP | Merritt Island (Fla.) High
Carter Stewart | RHP | Eau Gallie High, Melbourne, Fla.
Trevor Larnach | OF | Oregon State

Stock Falling:

Nander De Sedas | SS | Montverde (Fla.) Academy
Jeremy Eierman | SS | Missouri State

On the Mend:

Nick Madrigal | 2B | Oregon State
Ethan Hankins | RHP | Forsyth Central High, Cumming, Ga.
Slade Cecconi | RHP | Trinity Prep High, Winter Park, Fla.


If only he could drop to 24.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:17 pm





0 x
Image

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Joe Gray Jr.'s impressive. I'm slowly starting to get the love for this HS group of talent.

0 x

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8570
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 5106
x 963

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby weis21 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:18 pm

so i know an ECU baseball player fairly well, Dwanya Williams-Sutton (OF). Any chance he's a somewhat high draft pick? Any of you guys heard of him?

he's a super smart and down to earth guy. Theo and Jed came to Greenville a few years back to scout Hoffman (they ended up drafting Ryan Williams on what I assume they saw of him that day). I asked Dwanya to give me a heads up if he heard any Cubs scouts were coming.

He messed his wrist up last year and this year he screwed up his thumb but said he is coming back on Tuesday from that. so the stats may not be all there. But the dude is built like a linebacker and has a lot of power.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 pm

weis21 wrote:so i know an ECU baseball player fairly well, Dwanya Williams-Sutton (OF). Any chance he's a somewhat high draft pick? Any of you guys heard of him?

he's a super smart and down to earth guy. Theo and Jed came to Greenville a few years back to scout Hoffman (they ended up drafting Ryan Williams on what I assume they saw of him that day). I asked Dwanya to give me a heads up if he heard any Cubs scouts were coming.

He messed his wrist up last year and this year he screwed up his thumb but said he is coming back on Tuesday from that. so the stats may not be all there. But the dude is built like a linebacker and has a lot of power.


He's ranked 164th in BA's current top 300 draft list. That's potential top 5 round territory.
2 x
Image

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8570
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 5106
x 963

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby weis21 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
weis21 wrote:so i know an ECU baseball player fairly well, Dwanya Williams-Sutton (OF). Any chance he's a somewhat high draft pick? Any of you guys heard of him?

he's a super smart and down to earth guy. Theo and Jed came to Greenville a few years back to scout Hoffman (they ended up drafting Ryan Williams on what I assume they saw of him that day). I asked Dwanya to give me a heads up if he heard any Cubs scouts were coming.

He messed his wrist up last year and this year he screwed up his thumb but said he is coming back on Tuesday from that. so the stats may not be all there. But the dude is built like a linebacker and has a lot of power.


He's ranked 164th in BA's current top 300 draft list. That's potential top 5 round territory.

I would love if the Cubs got him (and he knows that bc my office is a Cubs shrine tbh).

He's got really great makeup - love the guy.
2 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Nick Sprengel does some things I like but can't/don't want to articulate and looks like a quality non-first college arm:



-----

I'm thinking Travis Swaggerty might have the strongest 1-1 case in this draft right now with Madrigal down. Three year college bat that has never not hit, should play CF....He'll get knocked for power but the league isn't exactly loaded with guys who have leadoff tools and skills these days so that part would not scare me.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Cubs get Kentucky RHP Sean Hjelle in this mock: https://247sports.com/mlb/scouting/Arti ... -115861234
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I'm thinking Travis Swaggerty might have the strongest 1-1 case in this draft right now with Madrigal down. Three year college bat that has never not hit, should play CF....He'll get knocked for power but the league isn't exactly loaded with guys who have leadoff tools and skills these days so that part would not scare me.


If you don't want to go the pitcher route, I can see it. He has a lot of the tools you want, the power has improved and he had a great summer against good competition. I still think a pitcher will go 1.1: Not enough power bats and a lot more high end pitching options - a couple will survive attrition.
0 x
Image

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:If you don't want to go the pitcher route, I can see it. He has a lot of the tools you want, the power has improved and he had a great summer against good competition. I still think a pitcher will go 1.1: Not enough power bats and a lot more high end pitching options - a couple will survive attrition.


I’m long converted to being anti-pitcher but I do like Casey Mize from Auburn. After him I am not so big on Singer or McClanahan among the hyped college guys and only see Liberatore as an outright top of the draft kind of talent among the HS arms right now (barring Hankins getting healthy or Rocker clicking sooner rather than later).
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 am

0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 am

12:18
Schoop of ice cream: Is Singer on the Strasburg level where we could see him up in late 2019?
12:18
Kiley McDaniel: No, not in the top 5 anymore at this point, stuff is down. May not be the best pitcher on the UF staff right now.
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:39 am

Carter Stewart vs Mason Denaburg tonight:

0 x
Image

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:49 am

0 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:20 am



0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:58 am

Casey Mize threw a no-hitter tonight.

Bryce Montes de Oca threw 7 no-hit inning last weekend as part of a combined Mizzou no-hitter.
0 x
Image

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5200
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 286
x 384

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:23 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Casey Mize threw a no-hitter tonight.

Bryce Montes de Oca threw 7 no-hit inning last weekend as part of a combined Mizzou no-hitter.


Stay healthy and this guy is a serious 1-1 candidate. Stuff, skills, pro size, skills, stuff, and skills...The first time I saw him he reminded me alot of Brandon Morrow coming out of school with, again, a way better skillset as a SP. He's the Jon Gray to Singer's early fallen Appel.

That said - gun to unusually loyal cat's head, I still take Swaggerty:



I'm thinking a little bit Ellsbury and a little more Granderson.
0 x

User avatar
philosophizer75
All-Star
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 4:45 am
Location: Maryland
x 225
x 246

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby philosophizer75 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:29 am

Holy crap that Kumar Rocker guy's legs are HUMONGOUS.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36695
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 978
x 1317

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:00 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Casey Mize threw a no-hitter tonight.


13k and 0 walks in the effort. Mercy.
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 538
x 2669

Re: 2018 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:06 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Casey Mize threw a no-hitter tonight.

Bryce Montes de Oca threw 7 no-hit inning last weekend as part of a combined Mizzou no-hitter.


Stay healthy and this guy is a serious 1-1 candidate. Stuff, skills, pro size, skills, stuff, and skills...The first time I saw him he reminded me alot of Brandon Morrow coming out of school with, again, a way better skillset as a SP. He's the Jon Gray to Singer's early fallen Appel.


1 x
Image


Return to “Amateur Baseball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests