When do we start talking 2016 Draft?

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Hrubes20
Starter

Re: When do we start talking 2016 Draft?

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Skylar Szynski seems like a guy we may be interested in, if he's available. Fairly local prep arm from Indiana.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:43 pm

10 picks to go!
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:51 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:10 picks to go!

Time to get excited about someone I've never heard of!

From someone who hasn't been paying attention... what are we hoping for here?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Even with the Cubs first pick coming at the end of the third round, who wants to bet that this player we draft will have a higher WAR than every 1st round pick (supplemental included) from the Cubs between 2002-2006 combined (1.0 WAR - all from Tyler Colvin)?
0 x
Win it for Fred

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:58 pm

I'm on a conference call. Someone please get a "Cubs Picks" thread going.
0 x
Spoiler: show

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Tom Hatch, RHP, Oklahoma State
0 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Lol alrighty then*

*Not a complaint
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:18 pm

There's Funkhouser going to Detroit, where Boras will rake him some cash out of Ilitch.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Bobby Dalbec, Nick Banks (position player) and Krook have all been picked in the fourth round.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:10 pm

I like how the Red Sox, White Sox, and Giants have basically let the draft come to them. White Sox proooobably had my favorite first day of the draft just by picking up big names that came to them, and the other two have basically done the same thing beyond the Red Sox's second round pick (one of the few college guys with hopes to play SS as a pro). I think Krook is broken personally, like he's dying to become Phil Coke at this point, but a team with a cavern of a park and some ability to pump out homegrown relievers like the Giants might actually be able to help him.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:49 pm

This feels disappointing...it's what I expected but it still feels meh. A lot of college pitching prospects that will sign for slot. I don't like RHP - B. Clark, but it was a 5th round pick so whatever. I honestly know nothing about the other college pitchers.

This I do know -- teams are scouting better and selecting better. I feel like the Cubs had targets that didn't fall to them. This draft class doesn't seem that great right now. I guess if one of these college pitching prospects develops then it will be considered a good draft when we judge it a few yrs from now.

I'm happy with our past draft picks and the focus on advanced hitting prospects w/ high ceilings. That said, out picks after the 1st round have kinda sucked. I don't have a lot of faith in our scouts in finding pitching prospects in later rounds. Haven't done it yet, but maybe that will change w/ D. Cease or P. Johnson. I hope I'm wrong and these scouts find some diamonds-in-the-rough...
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Actually, I should state that RHP - Z. Godley (the 10th round pick in 2013) reached the big leagues with Arizona.

So that's one pitcher who made it and was a late round pick. Kudos to the scout who recommended him and the Cubs for finding someone in the 10th round lol.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Gotta say, I'm fairly pleased with the draft so far, relative to expectations considering where we picked. Three solid college arms (I'm assuming that they are pretty certain all three will sign ... of the three, if Bailey Clark thought he could figure it out as a starter, that's the one I'd worry about, but I doubt he passes up 5th round). Of course, Hatch is a redshirt sophomore, so a bit more leverage, but figuring that they are certain on that.

Looking at the names on board, there were probably a couple names I preferred over Hatch, but not by enough to matter (I still like Gallen a bit). That said, Hatch is a solid arm with some mid-rotation ceiling. That's not bad.

Miller sounds fascinating in terms of potentially having some more in him. Taking a chance on some ceiling, instead of say, a safer pick like Sharawyn, is fine by me.

Clark's got fascinating upside, although I remember he was talked about pre-season in the ACC and then just fell off. It's a great gamble ... wonder how they pace him? Going to be a fascinating project.

All in all, pretty pleased.

As a UVA fan, a bit disappointed Wentz and Nolan Jones went that high. Got to think they sign. Still, getting Kranick/Murdock to help out the staff next season would be a nice boost.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Regular Show wrote:This feels disappointing...it's what I expected but it still feels meh. A lot of college pitching prospects that will sign for slot. I don't like RHP - B. Clark, but it was a 5th round pick so whatever. I honestly know nothing about the other college pitchers.

This I do know -- teams are scouting better and selecting better. I feel like the Cubs had targets that didn't fall to them. This draft class doesn't seem that great right now. I guess if one of these college pitching prospects develops then it will be considered a good draft when we judge it a few yrs from now.

I'm happy with our past draft picks and the focus on advanced hitting prospects w/ high ceilings. That said, out picks after the 1st round have kinda sucked. I don't have a lot of faith in our scouts in finding pitching prospects in later rounds. Haven't done it yet, but maybe that will change w/ D. Cease or P. Johnson. I hope I'm wrong and these scouts find some diamonds-in-the-rough...

Thing is, this turned out to be a fairly weak draft, and with our limited pool, they probably couldn't take some gambles they otherwise might've wanted to. Looking at the guys that were on board for each pick ... I'm not all that troubled by any of the selections. It was just hard to expect a home run draft this year considering the system is what it is. There's some ceiling with Clark, and it sounds like with Miller.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Looking at what teams have done ...

fascinated with the Braves. With so much pitching in the system ... they go pitching heavy, with a lot of raw upside. Going to be interesting to see how things pan out there.

think the Orioles took some interesting chances to try and get arms early.

not a huge fan of the Red Sox draft. Of course, Groome was a nice prize to fall to them, but don't love the rest of the draft. Shawaryn could be a nice piece, though.

White Sox had a great draft in terms of, as Tom noted, letting things fall to them. Curbelo was a nice 6th rounder.

Love the Cardinals draft. Gallen and Jones gives them two very good college arms, and I still believe Jones might be a better pro than in college, where his slider could be used more. Of course, there's the Virginia issue (the crouch).

really like the Rays draft. Took a couple relative "safe" college guys and mixed in some prep ceiling.

____

Can't say I love the Hockin pick ... but okay.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:48 pm

The Braves have a set of balls on them. If they actually get those 3 pitchers in to go with Allard and Soroka, then they have an outstanding group of young arm talent that just might actually produce some TOR talent.

I like the Cardinals' draft too. Can't fault Perez for them being grimy, all the orgs are grimy, and the Carlson pick is going to be a clever one.

Some picks I like today:

Jeremy Martinez in the 4th to the Cardinals
Bernardo Flores in the 7th by the White Sox
Cavan Biggio in the Fif by the Blue Jays - I think he can be a better pro than college player, starter potential at 2B
Dustin May by the Doyers in the 3rd
Garrett Williams by the Giants in the 7th
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Cardinals have had themselves a good draft. I love the Pirates' first two picks in that org. Corey Ray deserves a better fate than the Brewers, though their farm is overall loaded with tools behind him. The Reds are all meh overall, but Okey and 27th rounder Henderson are two picks I really like.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:01 pm

cwood218 wrote:Having read thru the draft threads here over the years I always assumed you guys were going overboard on the Harold hate... I could not have been more wrong. I don't know what the best pick of the night was. But MLB Picking Harold for the telecast was clearly the worst! From the begining of the draft when everyone was perhaps the quickest player to the majors to the middle of the draft when he always interupted O'Dowd to the end of the draft when he had no idea what to do with catchers with good hit tools that probably can't catch.... It was like watching old TV broadcasts of Joe Morgan...my hand keep wanting to reach for the remote and mute him out every time he began to speak. But like looking at a car accident I just had to listen one more time.

One of the draft's a couple years ago Harold said pretty much every college guy picked early could be in the majors later that season. It was hilarious.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”