When do we start talking 2016 Draft?

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Regular Show
All-Star

Re: When do we start talking 2016 Draft?

Postby Regular Show » Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm

PetermanRealityTour wrote:
Any Chicago-Area Prospects worth a high pick?

Usually like to go to a couple playoff games with the top guys throwing

Like TomtheBombadil wrote U of I RHP - C. Sedlock is the highest rated prospect in the draft and is very impressive. I doubt the Cubs will get a chance to draft him since he'll probably go in the 1st round.

I believe RHP - Z. Burdi is actually from the Chicago suburbs (I could be wrong?) so he would be the highest rated draft prospect from the Chicago-land area? The HS C - Cooper Johnson is a defensive wizard behind the plate and will most likely be taken in the 2nd round. There is also a RHP - M. Dietz who pitches downstate at a small CC (John A. Logan) who will probably go in rounds 3-4.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Yeah, Burdi is probably the highest rated guy actually from the Chicago area.
0 x
Spoiler: show

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Yeah, Burdi is probably the highest rated guy actually from the Chicago area.

Nah, Corey Ray wins that honor (Simeon HS).
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 24, 2016 12:29 am

Dang, forgot about him. You are correct!
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:31 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on taking either Kyle Funkhouser or Kyle Cody if they are there in the 3rd? Neither have improved much over their junior years, but both have some nice raw stuff. As seniors without elite production, they shouldn't be expected monster bonuses.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on taking either Kyle Funkhouser or Kyle Cody if they are there in the 3rd? Neither have improved much over their junior years, but both have some nice raw stuff. As seniors without elite production, they shouldn't be expected monster bonuses.

Funkhouser's alright, I would track him as a reliever. No opinion on Cody.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 27, 2016 3:36 am

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/180464614 ... mock-draft

They continue to sell Collins short. Okey and Corey Ray (duh) aren't lasting that long either. The Phillies should take one of Lewis, Senzel, Ray, or Collins. I don't see why Blake Rutheford should fall to the bottom of the top 10 beyond mock fatigue. Cardinals getting Hansen might suck. #hottakes
0 x

SRQCub
Starter

Postby SRQCub » Sun May 29, 2016 4:01 am

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 29, 2016 4:33 am

SRQCub wrote:http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-4-0/#P40V3U3ZD4ubwkZ0.97

Moniak at 1 seems odd to me.

It is probably more possible than Puk at 1, they are nuts if they go with a pitcher. I learned that there is a Boras Classic HS baseball tournament in that article. Collins finally makes the top 10, just 4-6 more spots to go. I was going to mention TJ Zeuch as a 104 candidate after a good game against Miami, but he's in there at 16.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 29, 2016 5:52 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
SRQCub wrote:http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-4-0/#P40V3U3ZD4ubwkZ0.97

Moniak at 1 seems odd to me.

It is probably more possible than Puk at 1, they are nuts if they go with a pitcher. I learned that there is a Boras Classic HS baseball tournament in that article. Collins finally makes the top 10, just 4-6 more spots to go. I was going to mention TJ Zeuch as a 104 candidate after a good game against Miami, but he's in there at 16.

Zeuch and Justin Dunn (BC) have quite a bit of helium.

Also, the link says Cal Quantrill is doing bullpen sessions (there was a poster asking about Quantrill and Wil Crowe's rehab from TJS a while ago).
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 30, 2016 7:18 am

Bobby Dalbec came into the year as a candidate to be the top power hitting college bat after hitting 27 HRs between the regular season and the Cape. He has been a huge disappointment with the bat, something like .270 with 5 HRs this year, and isn't even an afterthought in the first round mocks these days. Anyway he's maybe/probably becoming a better arm prospect than position player, one I would take seriously at 104 if there. Has the size (6'4" 220), clean arm, shows three pitches, the athleticism that is mediocre as a position player plays way up as a P, experience both as a reliever and starter, could maybe start long term if things go well enough, and he could/should be signable for the Cubs.

Here's some of a start where you can see the good (an athletic and aggressive delivery, frame, fast arm, a firm fastball, flashes of a good changeup, some pitchability) and some of the not so good (control and command, breaking ball):

Among players I think has a real shot to be there at 104, he possibly just became my favorite college P option. Right now I think my idea first two Cubs picks would be Dalbec at 104 and USC C Jeremy Martinez at whatever the next one is. Maybe save the HS guys for after the 10th round. #hottake
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon May 30, 2016 10:33 pm

I really hope in the near future that draft picks are made tradeable assets.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 31, 2016 4:55 am

Tryptamine wrote:
I really hope in the near future that draft picks are made tradeable assets.

I think there is strong momentum now for allowing draft picks (all draft picks) to be traded in the next CBA. They've experimented with it, and there are some drawbacks (big market teams like the Dodgers can essentially buy a draft pick by taking on a bad contract/player). Still, teams should be allowed to trade draft picks if they choose to do so.

Also, the intrigue of trading up/down in the draft will be exciting and we will be able to see which scouting departments can take advantage of that. There are definitely years where I could see a team with the #1 overall pick wanting to trade down when there is no consensus top talent available...
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue May 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Similar prospect to Dalbec is Shaun Anderson RHP for Florida. He has better stats as a reliever and also has the potential to convert. Dustin Hunt is another name, he is a SP for Northeastern. Options! Riveting!
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:23 am

Mark Gonzales wrote:The Cubs scouted pitcher/third baseman Bobby Dalbec of Arizona during a series three weeks ago against Arizona State. Dalbec, once projected as a late first-round pick, has experienced a subpar junior season.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:32 am

Video of Jason McLeod talking about next week's draft: http://vplayer.nbcsports.com/p/BxmELC/c ... 71sELPkGzc
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:19 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Mark Gonzales wrote:The Cubs scouted pitcher/third baseman Bobby Dalbec of Arizona during a series three weeks ago against Arizona State. Dalbec, once projected as a late first-round pick, has experienced a subpar junior season.

Gd right

He pitched twice that series, obviously both relief appearances, and started all 3 games at 3B. Without a doubt they were looking at him as a pitcher, honestly he's a throwaway pick as a bat. Another plus with this guy is that he does not turn 21 until after the draft, on the young side for a college pick.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:33 am

David: Alec Hansen has performed better of late – does the stuff match the improving box scores?
Klaw: No. I heard he was mostly 90-92 at the big 12

Kevin: Keith, Oregon pitcher questions. Matt Krook still a top-five round pick? Could Cole Irvin and Stephen Nogosek go that high too.
Klaw: Krook maybe fourth/fifth, but given healthy history I think he could get past that. Neither of the others seems like a great bet to go that high either.

Jon: When do you see Kyle Funkhouser getting drafted this year?
Klaw: Third round. He’ll never see the $2 million-plus he turned down last year.

Lute: This time last year some people were talking 1-1 for Dalbec and then he horsefeathers the bed. Does he go back to school or take whatever he’s offered in round 20?
Klaw: OK, anyone who was talking 1-1 on him last spring or summer was out of his or her mind. He was NEVER that kind of prospect. If he’d hit some, he could have been a first-rounder, but his hit tool has always been a question mark. I think he’d be better off going back to school if someone doesn’t offer him, say, top 3 rounds money.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:14 am

How quickly do you think the Cubs get that pick in if Hansen is sitting there at 104?

I didn't watch Funkhouser but read he was also velocity down tonight. I wouldn't really have an issue with him at 104 unless the Cubs have wind of an arm injury.

Another guy I wonder about plummeting is Daulton Jeffries, who missed 6 weekends this season due to injuries. I'd rather keep it simple and avoid pre-injured pitchers, hence Dalbec really being a thing, but hard to completely eliminate any big names when the first pick is 104.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:30 am

The thing about possibly selecting Bobby Dalbec is what he prefers doing on a baseball field :dontknow:

Going into this year scouts thought he might improve his stock and be viewed as a decent hitting prospect with a suspect hit tool, but game-changing power. I mean the pool of college hitting prospects is not that impressive this year. Also, going into this year (I believe) not that many preferred him as a pitcher. I don't know what he prefers personally, but he might ask a team or all teams that he wants to be drafted as a hitter even though most teams view him as a pitcher.

I don't like him as a prospect personally. I mean yeah, he's athletic and seems to possess a strong arm, but he seems like he'll end up being a reliever. I mean if I were him I would go back to school to improve my stock unless some team really believes in me and takes me in the top 3 rounds, but that looks unlikely right now. Just my 2 cents...
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:48 am

Regular Show wrote:The thing about possibly selecting Bobby Dalbec is what he prefers doing on a baseball field :dontknow:

Dalbec should prefer to make money. His best shot at that is as a pitcher. Even with last year his college performance as a position player is poor considering his corner only profile. 179 Ks in 681 college PAs, with only 22 HRs, is a dream killer. Throw in the 46 Ks in ~110 Cape PAs and he would be making a bad, even terrible, bet by going back. Reliever is a fine outcome for 104.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:14 pm

a month ago, I wouldve laughed at this thought, but I wonder if Connor Jones is there at 104. With his struggles down the stretch, plus low k's, and recent uva pitching history ... I wonder. Still think he probably gets popped in the 2nd.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:32 pm

A four round community mock draft which gives you an idea of the type of players who will be around for the Cubs' first two picks: http://www.minorleagueball.com/mlb-base ... al-results

3.104: Zach Hess, RHP, Liberty Christian HS (Virginia)
4.134: Shaun Anderson, RHP, Florida
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:46 am

The good thing about this draft is it's deep in HS pitching prospects and I believe (and hope) the Cubs have scouted the lower tier prospects pretty well. No point in scouting the top 50-75 prospects beyond a cursory glance.

Sure there is a chance someone falls but we probably can't sign them anyway. I expect some HS pitchers and college senior signings. This draft class could be very good or very very bad depending on how these pitching prospects they select develop in the future. No highly-rated advanced hitting prospect to redeem the draft class this time...
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:06 am

I think that's the direction I'd go too. But my guess is they go with mostly college pitching. I'll guess they take 2 HS pitchers inside the first 10 rounds and my guess is they only take seniors in 9 and 10. Just not enough money to play with here, so I think they'll take the "boring" route. But......They've gotten to spend much more time on the 100-300 type players than other teams, since they didn't have to worry with top 75 types. I figure it'll be boring as horsefeathers, but they'll come out of it with a decent class once its looked at a few years later.

My guess is 6 college pitchers, 2 HS pitchers, and 2 college position players inside the top 10 rounds, with 2 senior signs......
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”