2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 am

toonsterwu wrote:
davell wrote:
Lefty wrote:
I assume a UVA degree has some value.

Yeah. And he could have done that after he tried pro baseball. With 900k in his pocket. And the Cubs paying for his college.

It's a completely different dynamic, though. You only get one chance to go to college in your formative years ... after that, it's just education. Similarly important, but a far different dynamic. This isn't any UVA bias ... I would say that if a kid felt it was a good decision to go to school, then I'm of the opinion that it was a good decision.
kids are dumb and this decision was dumb. Pitcher break. Take the cash you dopes.
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:26 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Rob wrote:Is his plate discipline that good?

Fun fact: Zobrist, drafted at 23, struck out 1 time in his 222 PAs at Dallas Baptist. 1 time!!! As a switch hitter playing SS!

A 15/16 year old, chunky, and horrendous mustached me fell in prospect love with Zobrist really early.

Yeah, I was in love with him when he was in the Astros system and wasn't being taken that seriously... it almost makes up for my Junior Lake mancrush.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:41 am

Here's Wes' spreadsheet. This is THE go to spot, for any signing info.
2 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/thearmstreet/status/1003692493593071616?s=21

That’s Don Kessinger’s grandson he buckled. He’s one hell of a SS. Will be a decently high draft pick next year I suspect.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 am

Not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread, but the Cubs strongly considered drafting RHP Derek Casey out of HS back in 2014. This is another example of why kids shouldn't turn down big offers to turn pro right away.

Derek Casey passed on nearly a million dollars. He decided it would be better to go to college and really – really – learn how to pitch.

So Casey, then a high school senior at Hanover, passed on an offer of $900,000 from the Chicago Cubs, who would have selected him in the third or fourth round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft had he agreed to sign. The St. Louis Cardinals took their shot, drafting him in the 22nd round, but Casey didn’t budge.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 1ee00.html

EDIT: My bad guys. So this was already mentioned a couple pages back. Whoops...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 am

Regular Show wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread, but the Cubs strongly considered drafting RHP Derek Casey out of HS back in 2014. This is another example of why kids shouldn't turn down big offers to turn pro right away.

Derek Casey passed on nearly a million dollars. He decided it would be better to go to college and really – really – learn how to pitch.

So Casey, then a high school senior at Hanover, passed on an offer of $900,000 from the Chicago Cubs, who would have selected him in the third or fourth round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft had he agreed to sign. The St. Louis Cardinals took their shot, drafting him in the 22nd round, but Casey didn’t budge.

Unfort. he hasn't progressed and cost him significantly (blessing they didn't sign him out of HS). I was always hesitant of someone who turns down 850K or more to go to school, especially if it is to be with his gf or something in that realm. I've been burned by this as even though I received credit/compensation for signing a player to a +650K contract, I knew by his hesitancy to sign and still wanting go to college that he might not have what it takes mentally. He ended up signing and never made it out of rookie ball. It's a different story if his parents and adviser are unfort. pushing him towards College.

I did an in-home with a family to take the tests as well as sit down with the family, his mom mentioned on several occasions how he was going to college (Oklahoma commit) despite the distain from the kid and the father of repeatedly mentioning that. I remember thinking as I was leaving Crystal lake, have fun in school...
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 am

UK wrote:
Regular Show wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread, but the Cubs strongly considered drafting RHP Derek Casey out of HS back in 2014. This is another example of why kids shouldn't turn down big offers to turn pro right away.

Unfort. he hasn't progressed and cost him significantly (blessing they didn't sign him out of HS). I was always hesitant of someone who turns down 850K or more to go to school, especially if it is to be with his gf or something in that realm. I've been burned by this as even though I received credit/compensation for signing a player to a +650K contract, I knew by his hesitancy to sign and still wanting go to college that he might not have what it takes mentally. He ended up signing and never made it out of rookie ball. It's a different story if his parents and adviser are unfort. pushing him towards College.

I did an in-home with a family to take the tests as well as sit down with the family, his mom mentioned on several occasions how he was going to college (Oklahoma commit) despite the distain from the kid and the father of repeatedly mentioning that. I remember thinking as I was leaving Crystal lake, have fun in school...

If you don't mind me asking, which team did you work for as a scout? You have access to amazing scouting reports/intel and you knew the most on Kelenic obviously. Have you ever attended the Under Armour All-America game at Wrigley?

Yeah, I would sign straight out of HS without a moment of hesitation if the signing bonus was six figures + paid tuition for college. I wonder if agents aren't doing their due diligence or some parents/family friends/the prospect himself are just that dumb...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 am

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/undrafted

There is still a lot of talent available on Day 3. I know some of these kids are going to school and are unsignable. I have no idea how much cash the Cubs have left to spend on players. Probably $200K? Maybe more?

Sorry about the image resolution -- just right click on it and select "open image in new tab" if you're interested or click on the link above.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Original post updated through 10 rounds.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 pm

BA has added blurbs to the guys they didn’t have info on as of yesterday.

4:

An extreme performer with Tennessee Tech, Roberts posted a 2.25 ERA this spring in 60 innings as a reliever, with 85 strikeouts and 18 walks. He’s been pretty consistent throughout his career in the Ohio Valley Conference, with a 2.99 career ERA, 13.04 K/9 and 1.81 BB/9. His best pitch is a heavy cutting fastball in the 90-93 mph range and his secondaries are solid, but nothing above-average. His strike throwing ability allows everything to play up.

5:

A college performer who can hit and showed some power during his junior season, Weber can handle second base and profiles as an offensive oriented infielder. After hitting below .300 in back-to-back years during his freshman and sophomore seasons, Weber took a big step forward as a junior after outfielder Jake McCarthy went down with an early-season injury. He hit .344/.415/.536 with a career-best five home runs in 54 games.

6:

Franklin is the nephew of long-time big leaguer Ryan Franklin. He has a pitcher's frame and a clean arm stroke with an 88-92 mph fastball and a loose curveball, but one that has enough shape to have some projection. He missed much of this spring with a broken foot. Franklin is committed to Oklahoma.

8:

A 6-foot-1, 195-pound college performer, Mort struck out 8.31 batters per walk this spring while posting a 2.48 ERA through 105 innings in 15 starts. He has average stuff across the board and gets his fastball up to 93.

9:

A senior performer with Virginia, Casey was taken in the 22nd round of the 2014 draft by the Cardinals out of high school but made it to campus in Charlottesville. After throwing 32 innings and posting a 3.06 ERA during his freshman season, Casey underwent Tommy John surgery in 2015 which kept him out for the entirety of the 2016 season. Since returning in 2017, Casey has posted a sub-4.00 ERA in back-to-back seasons and struck out a career-high 106 batters this spring, while walking 25. He pitches in the 88-93 mph range with his fastball, with a solid changeup and a fringe-average breaking ball.

The rest of the reports are interspersed through the thread at the time of the pick.
0 x

Lefty
All-Star

Postby Lefty » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Rob wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:No Luke Heimlich through two days.

Honestly, I'll consider this whole draft a win as long as we don't pick him.

The Cubs don't need the bad publicity, but I wonder on a more societal level whether he should forever be barred based on a teenage mistake (his claims of innocence not withstanding). The move toward felons voting is picking up steam, and I think that's probably consistent with where our society is going. The Obama Administration was very committed to the idea of keeping the official records of teen offenders clean as not to hamper them later on (see Nikolas Cruz). I just wonder if Luke Hemlich is different because he might make millions of dollars.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Lefty wrote:
Rob wrote:

The Cubs don't need the bad publicity, but I wonder on a more societal level whether he should forever be barred based on a teenage mistake (his claims of innocence not withstanding). The move toward felons voting is picking up steam, and I think that's probably consistent with where our society is going. The Obama Administration was very committed to the idea of keeping the official records of teen offenders clean as not to hamper them later on (see Nikolas Cruz). I just wonder if Luke Hemlich is different because he might make millions of dollars.

Raping a kid is not a "mistake".

This isn't a guy that got caught stealing a 6-pack of beer.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Lefty wrote:
Rob wrote:

Being able to vote is on a different scale than playing on a baseball team that has hundreds of thousands of people who support and identify with it. I'm sympathetic to the idea that committing a crime at age 16 shouldn't doom a person for life, but Heimlich playing baseball does not exist in a bubble. The signal it sends to other folks who have been impacted by sexual assault matters, and alienating them is not worth the chance that Heimlich is .4 wins better than an alternative, nor is it truly unfair that Heimlich's mistakes mean certain career paths are not viable.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Lefty wrote:
Rob wrote:

I'm in favor of second chances and the changes in the criminal justice system.

But this is a high school kid molesting a child relative. Not the same thing as getting caught smoking a joint. I will be very upset if we take him.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:52 pm

A mistake that a 15 year old turdbrain can be forgiven for, not child molestation:

https://sports.yahoo.com/rockies-draft- ... 15128.html

On a conference call on Tuesday with Rolison and Rockies general manager Jeff Bridich, Rolison directly addressed his 2012 tweet, and he didn’t hedge.

“It was in 2012, and it was a stupid tweet, and it was immature of me. I had no idea what I was talking about. It was immature of me to post something like that. People know that’s not who I am, and the Colorado Rockies know that’s not who I am.”
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Immature is one way to put it
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Cubs take Louisville RHP Riley Thompson in the 11th. 219 on BA's list.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Cam Sanders, RHP from LSU in the 12th. 475 on BA's list.

I'm guessing this means no HS over slot money left. But, I guess its possible for a few more picks.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Riley Thompson, 11th rounder:

Thompson has an electric fastball. He sits in the mid-90s even late into games and can push his heater up to 98 -- or even 100. His breaking ball can be an excellent pitch, too. But he hasn't had the stats to match the stuff this season, with a 6.82 ERA in 33 innings for Louisville, and 35 strikeouts. As far as health, Thompson had Tommy John surgery in 2016, and he's also missed time with a shoulder issue. He's been drafted twice before -- by the Reds out of high school in the 37th round and by the Yankees last year in the 27th round, after being ranked No. 164 in MLB Pipeline's Top 200 Draft prospects.

I like it.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Ezequiel Pagan, an OF from Puerto Rico, in the 13th.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 pm

On Sanders.....
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:48 pm

11th rounder - Riley Thompson - BA rank #219:

Riley Thompson 4YR RHP

School: Louisville
Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 206 | B-T: L-R | Commit/Drafted: Yankees '17 (25)
Scouting Report: A 37th-round pick of the Reds out of high school and a 27th round pick of the Yankees last year as a redshirt freshman, Thompson’s stuff is every bit as good as anyone who will be taken in the first round. He has a mid-90s fastball that will tickle triple digits and a power curve that can be a devastating weapon when he’s locked in. Despite two pitches that can earn 70 grades from scouts and an average changeup, Thompson has had little on-field success. He missed the 2016 season recovering from Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.02 ERA as a redshirt freshman, but had to be shut down at the end of the season with a sore arm. He began this season in Louisville’s rotation but slid to the bullpen and has struggled to be effective in either role. Thompson had a 7.26 ERA in mid-May and was allowing more than a hit per inning. Thompson’s problem has always been his well below average control. When he runs into trouble, innings quickly get away from him and he’s yet to show the ability to diagnose and fix delivery flaws in the middle of an inning.

Cameron Sanders and Ezequiel Pagán didn't make the BA top 500.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:54 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:11th rounder - Riley Thompson - BA rank #219:

Riley Thompson 4YR RHP

School: Louisville
Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 206 | B-T: L-R | Commit/Drafted: Yankees '17 (25)
Scouting Report: A 37th-round pick of the Reds out of high school and a 27th round pick of the Yankees last year as a redshirt freshman, Thompson’s stuff is every bit as good as anyone who will be taken in the first round. He has a mid-90s fastball that will tickle triple digits and a power curve that can be a devastating weapon when he’s locked in. Despite two pitches that can earn 70 grades from scouts and an average changeup, Thompson has had little on-field success. He missed the 2016 season recovering from Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.02 ERA as a redshirt freshman, but had to be shut down at the end of the season with a sore arm. He began this season in Louisville’s rotation but slid to the bullpen and has struggled to be effective in either role. Thompson had a 7.26 ERA in mid-May and was allowing more than a hit per inning. Thompson’s problem has always been his well below average control. When he runs into trouble, innings quickly get away from him and he’s yet to show the ability to diagnose and fix delivery flaws in the middle of an inning.

Cameron Sanders and Ezequiel Pagán didn't make the BA top 500.

It says Sanders is 475 from my phone.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:56 pm

RHP Riley McCauley is 14th round pick, out of Michigan State. No ranking.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”