2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:57 pm

davell wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:11th rounder - Riley Thompson - BA rank #219:

Riley Thompson 4YR RHP

School: Louisville
Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 206 | B-T: L-R | Commit/Drafted: Yankees '17 (25)
Scouting Report: A 37th-round pick of the Reds out of high school and a 27th round pick of the Yankees last year as a redshirt freshman, Thompson’s stuff is every bit as good as anyone who will be taken in the first round. He has a mid-90s fastball that will tickle triple digits and a power curve that can be a devastating weapon when he’s locked in. Despite two pitches that can earn 70 grades from scouts and an average changeup, Thompson has had little on-field success. He missed the 2016 season recovering from Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.02 ERA as a redshirt freshman, but had to be shut down at the end of the season with a sore arm. He began this season in Louisville’s rotation but slid to the bullpen and has struggled to be effective in either role. Thompson had a 7.26 ERA in mid-May and was allowing more than a hit per inning. Thompson’s problem has always been his well below average control. When he runs into trouble, innings quickly get away from him and he’s yet to show the ability to diagnose and fix delivery flaws in the middle of an inning.

Cameron Sanders and Ezequiel Pagán didn't make the BA top 500.

It says Sanders is 475 from my phone.

So he is. I was searching for Cameron.

Cam Sanders 4YR RHP
Notes:Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 170 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Padres '17 (18)
Scouting Report: The son of big leaguer Scott Sanders and former softball All-American Linda Sanders, Cam was an 18th-round pick of the Padres last season out of Northwest Florida JC. He has some of the best stuff on the LSU staff, but his inconsistent control has kept him from having sustained success this year—he was 1-0, 6.59 at the end of the SEC tournament. Sanders walked 7.2 batters per nine innings this season and his performance in SEC games was even worse (11.12 ERA, 10 BB/9). Sanders did get better as the season wrapped up, as he started locating his 92-96 mph fastball and sharp spike-curve more consistently.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:02 pm

With their Puerto Rico ties, I wonder if the Cubs will pick Nandar de Sadas. Obviously don't think he'll sign because he's a polarizing player whose perceived talent probably doesn't match his bonus demands.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:53 pm

15th round: Tyler Durna, 1B, UC San Diego
16th round: Josh Sawyer, LHP, Texas
17th round: Jake Reindl, RHP, Arkansas
18th round: Jake Slaughter, SS, LSU (sophomore)
19th round: Layne Looney, RHP, Richmond
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:53 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Hey weis21, your guy Dwanya Williams-Sutton was drafted by the Padres in the 5th round.

Good for him - he's an awesome dude. Think he will be probably be finishing his degree online then (but we planned around that as much as we could have in advance)

I'm going to take him up on his promise for tickets if he makes it
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:55 pm

weis21 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Hey weis21, your guy Dwanya Williams-Sutton was drafted by the Padres in the 5th round.

Good for him - he's an awesome dude. Think he will be probably be finishing his degree online then (but we planned around that as much as we could have in advance)

1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:57 pm

My homer pick that I'd like to see the Cubs take at this point is Trey Harris from Mizzou. Senior sign and only a 4th OF profile, but we're past the point of taking college pitchers who don't throw strikes and college hitters who can't hit, so there's little risked. Doing this in this year's SEC isn't bad: .316/.413/.516, 11 HR, 34/22 K/BB
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Looney and Reindl have some solid numbers as relievers, Looney's especially are video game worthy at that lower level of competition.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:My homer pick that I'd like to see the Cubs take at this point is Trey Harris from Mizzou. Senior sign and only a 4th OF profile, but we're past the point of taking college pitchers who don't throw strikes and college hitters who can't hit, so there's little risked. Doing this in this year's SEC isn't bad: .316/.413/.516, 11 HR, 34/22 K/BB

If we're doing homer picks, I'd like one of UCLA's surgically repaired pitchers with first round pedigrees coming out of HS (Molnar or Hooper). But Molnar has thrown 1 inning in the last two years and had his TJS in the summer of 2016, so his elbow might be done.
0 x

cubfan
Role Player

Postby cubfan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Rob wrote:
Honestly, I'll consider this whole draft a win as long as we don't pick him.

The Cubs don't need the bad publicity, but I wonder on a more societal level whether he should forever be barred based on a teenage mistake (his claims of innocence not withstanding). The move toward felons voting is picking up steam, and I think that's probably consistent with where our society is going. The Obama Administration was very committed to the idea of keeping the official records of teen offenders clean as not to hamper them later on (see Nikolas Cruz). I just wonder if Luke Hemlich is different because he might make millions of dollars.

Raping a kid is not a "mistake".

This isn't a guy that got caught stealing a 6-pack of beer.

My initial reaction was the same, but after reading up on the full story, I'm not as sure. I still don't think I'd draft him but there was enough other things going on with the story that is was not as clear cut as I first thought.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:31 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
weis21 wrote:

I just emailed him and sent him a link to that tweet - thanks :)
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Oh cool, the Nationals drafted Kevin Tapani's son.

1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 pm

In case you didn’t know, Roederer went to the same HS as Mike Montgomery...and Trevor Bauer.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:45 pm

The Cubs' 26th rounder, prep OF Julian Boyd, is a Nevada commit. He tore his ACL playing football last fall.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 pm

The Cubs' 28th rounder is ranked 281 by BA:

Mitchell Parker HS LHP

School: Manzano HS, Albuquerque
Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 195 | B-T: L-L | Commit/Drafted: Tennessee
Scouting Report: Despite an inconsistent spring in 2018, scouts agree that Parker’s size and lefthandedness will have the New Mexico prep product going off the board somewhere in the top 10 rounds. Parker certainly intrigued scouts during last fall’s WWBA World Championships in Jupiter, Fla., when he struck out 15 batters in five innings. Parker gets swings and misses on an 86-92 mph fastball and he should be able to add velocity as he matures, although his command of the pitch has been inconsistent. His 12-to-6 curveball has good shape and spin to it, but the 73-74 mph pitch could be more effective at a higher velocity. Both his breaking ball and changeup were graded as below-average pitches this spring. Parker uses a rough but deceptive delivery with a stab in the back and an inconsistent release point. Parker will be a project for whichever team drafts him and won't be a fast mover. He is committed to Tennessee.

Tennessee isn’t a powerhouse college baseball program so it’ll be interesting to see how easy it is to sign him.

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Bravesy McBravesface: The generally accepted draft strategy in the MLB is to take the best player available at every slot. So why is it that we see teams reach down the board for inferior talent instead, hoping that they can take someone else that’s good later?

Kiley McDaniel: I’ve said this a bunch of times but concept of industry consensus rankings doesn’t apply to any one team. Some teams have multiple guys that went day one in the 5th round on their board. They have some guy that went 20th ranked 5th on their board, etc. With every board looking that different, taking the below slot option is more taking the cheap guy between three guys you can’t separate.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 pm

This obviously sounds promising.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Eh, Wes just told me there's a PG guy and also his local beat writer that are questioning whether he was taken too late.

He might be a kid that hates school, but his parents have a number in mind and if he doesn't get it, they'll make him go to school any way.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 pm

The Cubs take Tyler Ras in the 33rd round. Worked out for the Cubs before the draft.

MLB.com's 197th player.

A New Jersey high school right-hander hasn't been taken in the top five round since Joe Gatto was a second-rounder back in 2014, and Gatto was the first one since 2008 (Jason Knapp, second round). Ras, thanks to his arm strength and athleticism, has the chance to join a very select group. Ras is a two-way stand out at Middletown High School who has separated himself as a pitching prospect. He's projectable at 6-foot-4 and has been up to 93 mph with his fastball, with more in the tank as he fills out that frame. He's at his best when he stays on top and throws downhill, creating good life on that heater. His secondary stuff is behind his fastball, though his slurvy breaking ball and his changeup show glimpses of being solid offerings. Some scouts don't love his arm action and delivery, but with his athleticism, there's hope things could be corrected with instruction. There are teams that don't shy away from pitching projects, and Ras certainly would be one. He's committed to the University of Alabama, but it's easy to dream on what he can become once he's focusing only on the mound.

BA ranked him 188.

Tyler Ras HS RHP/OF

School: Middletown (N.J.) North HS
Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 195 | B-T: B-R | Commit/Drafted: Alabama
Scouting Report: A 6-foot-4, 195-pound righthander, Ras has a low-90s fastball that can touch 95 mph. His high-70s, low-80s changeup, which features late, arm-side fade, is his best offspeed offering. Ras struggles to spin both his slider and curveball, which seems to be a direct result of his elongated, unusually stiff arm action that coincides with an over-the-top release point. Regardless of the delivery, Ras has at least average control and does a good job of filling up the strike zone with both his fastball and changeup. Because of his arm action and struggle to consistently land one of his two breaking balls, there are some scouts who believe he would be better suited in a relief role. Ras is a solid athlete and if he ends up on campus at Alabama he has a chance to be a solid two-way player for the Crimson Tide. He is a switch-hitting outfielder and could do both at the collegiate level, even if his future as a pro is likely on the mound.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:13 pm

The Cubs take Jacob Campbell, a prep catcher from Craig HS in Wisconsin, in the 36th round.

MLB.com's 154th prospect:

Projected first-round outfielder Jarred Kelenic (Waukesha West) isn't the only Wisconsin high school position player attracting scouts this spring. Campbell and third baseman Alex Binelas (Oak Creek) also would fit in the first five rounds on talent for some clubs, though they may not get popped early enough to divert from college. An Illinois recruit, Campbell is a better defender but has less power potential than Ben Rortvedt, a Badger State prep catcher whom the Twins drafted in the second round two years ago. Campbell has all the tools to succeed behind the plate. He receives and blocks well, and he makes accurate throws with solid arm strength. He plays with energy and has admirable leadership skills. Campbell has played through a hamate injury that has hampered him at the plate this spring. His strength stands out more than his bat speed, though his right-handed swing is quick enough. He currently employs a middle-away approach that's more conducive to hitting for average than power, though he could have more pop once he starts to turn on more pitches.

BA's 155th prospect:

Jacob Campbell HS C

School: Craig HS, Janesville, Wis.
Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 200 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Illinois
Scouting Report: Campbell is one of several solid prospects who was hurt by the cold weather that delayed the start of baseball seasons in the upper Midwest. It’s a pity because scouts have long been impressed with his combination of a physical frame, solid receiving skills and an average arm. Campbell, an Illinois signee, is a good athlete and an average runner. At the plate, he has a line-drive approach that is more geared to singles and doubles than home runs, but his swing works and he stays balanced. Even with less time to evaluate him than many other prospects, Campbell could still be an early day two pick for a team that likes his well-rounded toolset.
0 x

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 pm

cubfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Lefty wrote:
The Cubs don't need the bad publicity, but I wonder on a more societal level whether he should forever be barred based on a teenage mistake (his claims of innocence not withstanding). The move toward felons voting is picking up steam, and I think that's probably consistent with where our society is going. The Obama Administration was very committed to the idea of keeping the official records of teen offenders clean as not to hamper them later on (see Nikolas Cruz). I just wonder if Luke Hemlich is different because he might make millions of dollars.

Raping a kid is not a "mistake".

My initial reaction was the same, but after reading up on the full story, I'm not as sure. I still don't think I'd draft him but there was enough other things going on with the story that is was not as clear cut as I first thought.

I read the part where he plead horsefeathering guilty for molesting his 6 year old niece. You probably read the same blog post every other Heimlich truther read which was written by a close family friend in order to try and get him drafted. There's no selling it to your fanbase that you took an admitted child molester and there's no chance that plays in a clubhouse full of athletes with children of their own.

The felon wanted to save his family and keep them together by sparing them a trial? GTFOH with that horsefeathers. First, this isn't some traffic violation where you wake up and say horsefeathers it I've got better things to do than go to court on this glorious Wednesday, I'll just admit guilt so I don't have to waste an entire day. If this was some made up charge I think I go down swinging instead of just accepting the deal that labels me a sex offender. Second, why the horsefeathers would you want to keep a family together if they're making up sexual assault claims against one another? Finally, children do not tend to lie about abuse, so just accepting his new innocence claims over the signed horsefeathering plea deal is asinine to me.
9 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Agony and Ivy wrote:
cubfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Raping a kid is not a "mistake".

I read the part where he plead horsefeathering guilty for molesting his 6 year old niece. You probably read the same blog post every other Heimlich truther read which was written by a close family friend in order to try and get him drafted. There's no selling it to your fanbase that you took an admitted child molester and there's no chance that plays in a clubhouse full of athletes with children of their own.

The felon wanted to save his family and keep them together by sparing them a trial? GTFOH with that horsefeathers. First, this isn't some traffic violation where you wake up and say horsefeathers it I've got better things to do than go to court on this glorious Wednesday, I'll just admit guilt so I don't have to waste an entire day. If this was some made up charge I think I go down swinging instead of just accepting the deal that labels me a sex offender. Second, why the horsefeathers would you want to keep a family together if they're making up sexual assault claims against one another? Finally, children do not tend to lie about abuse, so just accepting his new innocence claims over the signed horsefeathering plea deal is asinine to me.

Yeah, most stories have two sides. This one does not
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 pm

Even if they can’t get him signed I like the Ras, Tyler pick. I just hope they’re also keeping an eye on his brother Ras Trent.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 pm

The draft is over. The first post has been updated.

No one drafted Heimlich.
2 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm glad nobody drafted him. What kind of talent is he? If there was no external factors, where do you think he would've been drafted?
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:The Cubs take Jacob Campbell, a prep catcher from Craig HS in Wisconsin, in the 36th round.

MLB.com's 154th prospect:

Projected first-round outfielder Jarred Kelenic (Waukesha West) isn't the only Wisconsin high school position player attracting scouts this spring. Campbell and third baseman Alex Binelas (Oak Creek) also would fit in the first five rounds on talent for some clubs, though they may not get popped early enough to divert from college. An Illinois recruit, Campbell is a better defender but has less power potential than Ben Rortvedt, a Badger State prep catcher whom the Twins drafted in the second round two years ago. Campbell has all the tools to succeed behind the plate. He receives and blocks well, and he makes accurate throws with solid arm strength. He plays with energy and has admirable leadership skills. Campbell has played through a hamate injury that has hampered him at the plate this spring. His strength stands out more than his bat speed, though his right-handed swing is quick enough. He currently employs a middle-away approach that's more conducive to hitting for average than power, though he could have more pop once he starts to turn on more pitches.

BA's 155th prospect:

Jacob Campbell HS C

School: Craig HS, Janesville, Wis.
Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 200 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Illinois
Scouting Report: Campbell is one of several solid prospects who was hurt by the cold weather that delayed the start of baseball seasons in the upper Midwest. It’s a pity because scouts have long been impressed with his combination of a physical frame, solid receiving skills and an average arm. Campbell, an Illinois signee, is a good athlete and an average runner. At the plate, he has a line-drive approach that is more geared to singles and doubles than home runs, but his swing works and he stays balanced. Even with less time to evaluate him than many other prospects, Campbell could still be an early day two pick for a team that likes his well-rounded toolset.

I seen him last Summer, I gave him a 4-6 rd range.

My grade was 35/45 hit, 30/45 power, 45/45 runner, 40/50 defense, 45/50 arm.

Well built, well balanced swing, good agility and flexibility for size. Frames well, shows leadership qualities, mechanics in dropping down could be better on breaking balls. Consistent 1.9-1.95 pops, accurate. Level swing, consistent weight shift, gap to gap hitter in BP. Right hitting coach could get more loft.

Rumors have him being a tougher sign, have not spoken to him yet.

Similar to Skoug out of Libertyville in '14, better pure hitter with less bat speed, better receiver than Skoug.
3 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”