2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
craig
All-Star
Posts: 4143
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 41

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby craig » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 am

Regular Show wrote:....
So I have to say I'm NOT a big fan of these draft selections and this draft class overall for the Cubs. It seriously lacks in upside, and the chances of landing an impact player from this group is very low. ..... What I mean is that this group has an even smaller chance of landing an impact player compared to other team's draft selections. The best way to land an impact player is by taking a talented HS player with that coveted high-risk/high-reward profile. The Cubs didn't do that...

Brennan Davis does fit that profile, but I almost guarantee that won't work out. I actually really dislike that pick and think it's stupid considering we're giving him an overslot deal......


Interesting article in the Athletic about the Cubs draft, with some good quotes from Dorey etc..
https://theathletic.com/384762/2018/06/ ... -together/

Show, I hope you're wrong. I think some of your arguments are a little mixed. Seems to me that one argument is:
1. Cubs haven't done well outside of the first round thus far (I agree), so they won't do well outside of the first round in this draft either.
2. A second argument is that have failed with raw prospects before, so will fail with Roederer and Davis.
3. A third is that they didn't draft upside guys.

You may well be right.

But I think your second argument is the hinge one. I think Wilson is the only $$-HS guy they've signed. Hanneman is another example of a raw guy who didn't work out, but he was college already. The others, Crawfords and the like, those are 3rd-day picks. So to me, it seems like the Cubs record with HS-hitters like Roederer and Davis is pretty much wilson and that's it.

I agree, Wilson's been a hopeless failure, and a wasted pick. But I'm not sure failing on one HS pick, and then also some 3rd-day guys, I think that's a small data pool on which to conclude a trend. So I'm optimistic re both Roederer and Davis.

I think your 3rd argument is somewhat confusing. You complain that they didn't select upside guys, when to my perspective they took two such in Davis and Roederer. Reading what Dorey said, they were very much looking for upside guys, and ID'd Davis and Roederer as such. So the attempt is clearly there. You've already concluded that their attempts will fail, and you'll probably be correct. (Most 60-80 picks fail, especially HS ones....)

But that's a scouting evaluation on your part, I think, (or a scouting failure on their part), more than a strategic failure. If in fact they did fail.

My thinking is that although some of their HS guys have failed (Wilson and Sierra), they've had good luck with Gleyber and Eloy and Amara. So I'm not sure it's as well established and conclusive that they will fail to identify and develop teenage hitting prospects.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1131
x 319

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:12 am

craig wrote:
Regular Show wrote:....
So I have to say I'm NOT a big fan of these draft selections and this draft class overall for the Cubs. It seriously lacks in upside, and the chances of landing an impact player from this group is very low. ..... What I mean is that this group has an even smaller chance of landing an impact player compared to other team's draft selections. The best way to land an impact player is by taking a talented HS player with that coveted high-risk/high-reward profile. The Cubs didn't do that...

Brennan Davis does fit that profile, but I almost guarantee that won't work out. I actually really dislike that pick and think it's stupid considering we're giving him an overslot deal......


Interesting article in the Athletic about the Cubs draft, with some good quotes from Dorey etc..
https://theathletic.com/384762/2018/06/ ... -together/

Show, I hope you're wrong. I think some of your arguments are a little mixed. Seems to me that one argument is:
1. Cubs haven't done well outside of the first round thus far (I agree), so they won't do well outside of the first round in this draft either.
2. A second argument is that have failed with raw prospects before, so will fail with Roederer and Davis.
3. A third is that they didn't draft upside guys.

You may well be right.

But I think your second argument is the hinge one. I think Wilson is the only $$-HS guy they've signed. Hanneman is another example of a raw guy who didn't work out, but he was college already. The others, Crawfords and the like, those are 3rd-day picks. So to me, it seems like the Cubs record with HS-hitters like Roederer and Davis is pretty much wilson and that's it.

I agree, Wilson's been a hopeless failure, and a wasted pick. But I'm not sure failing on one HS pick, and then also some 3rd-day guys, I think that's a small data pool on which to conclude a trend. So I'm optimistic re both Roederer and Davis.

I think your 3rd argument is somewhat confusing. You complain that they didn't select upside guys, when to my perspective they took two such in Davis and Roederer. Reading what Dorey said, they were very much looking for upside guys, and ID'd Davis and Roederer as such. So the attempt is clearly there. You've already concluded that their attempts will fail, and you'll probably be correct. (Most 60-80 picks fail, especially HS ones....)

But that's a scouting evaluation on your part, I think, (or a scouting failure on their part), more than a strategic failure. If in fact they did fail.

My thinking is that although some of their HS guys have failed (Wilson and Sierra), they've had good luck with Gleyber and Eloy and Amara. So I'm not sure it's as well established and conclusive that they will fail to identify and develop teenage hitting prospects.


I don't know what to make of Roederer so I didn't actually mention him. I'm not sure how high his ceiling is or how his tools rate when he was fully healthy. I need to find out more info before I make a proclamation on him. Keith Law on Roederer:

Cole Roederer (2C) is a center fielder now with good feel to hit but has a hitch in his swing that probably has to be cleaned up for him to become a good hitter in pro ball. He also likely ends up in a corner where his fringy power could become an issue, so I'm not sure what the carrying tool is here.


That doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence...

I do count Hannemann as a raw guy who didn't work out even though he went to college. There are definitely parallels between Hannemann and Davis. I know Davis is the better athlete and has a higher upside. Brennen Davis actually has one of the highest ceilings in the entire draft... I just don't think he reaches it or even gets close. I believe Kiley McDaniel mentioned how some scouts were worried his bat was a 30 or 40.

I don't count IFAs with amateur draft picks. I'm strictly talking about the draft and the scouts involved with the MLB draft. I don't want to compare Gleyber and Eloy against our draft picks because it creates weird comparisons and we lack a lot of knowledge about how they scout internationally. It's not fair to compare Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber to Gleyber Torres and Miguel Amaya and so on. MLB teams scout those kids at a very young age and come to agreements when they are 14 or 15. Sometimes even younger now...

I do totally give credit to the international scouts for doing a great job and signing some top prospects.

I think we need to ask UK what he thinks and what other scouts think of the Cubs 2018 draft class.
1 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5123
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 274
x 365

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:34 am

Regular Show wrote:There are definitely parallels between Hannemann and Davis


Is this really a bad thing? Hannemann missed reps for non-sports or injury reasons and still ended up collecting a ML paycheck. I don't see Hannemann not becoming a super duper mega star, or just a starter whatever standard you're holding him to, as some kind of knock on Davis. The Cubs did an excellent job with Hannemann and he shouldn't be presented as evidence the FO can't develop athletes unless you have completely unrealistic expectations. The guy was a 22 YO Mormon with one year of college ball under his belt when drafted. That player 9 out of 10 times probably doesn't make it out of A ball without an org that knows what they are doing.
1 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1131
x 319

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Regular Show wrote:There are definitely parallels between Hannemann and Davis


Is this really a bad thing?


Yes.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20421
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 112
x 291

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby UK » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Fwiw, Cubs draftee Ethan Roberts is warming up for Tenn Tech on ESPN 2.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90069
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 521
x 2598

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:25 pm

UK wrote:Fwiw, Cubs draftee Ethan Roberts is warming up for Tenn Tech on ESPN 2.

He’s now in the game.
0 x
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36666
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 955
x 1286

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Mercy, he’s got it going right now. 1 IP so far with 3k.

I watched him in person on Monday dominate a terrific Ole Miss offense. He’s good.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57662
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6560

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:05 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Mercy, he’s got it going right now. 1 IP so far with 3k.

I watched him in person on Monday dominate a terrific Ole Miss offense. He’s good.

So he's already mastered AA
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36666
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 955
x 1286

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:54 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Mercy, he’s got it going right now. 1 IP so far with 3k.

I watched him in person on Monday dominate a terrific Ole Miss offense. He’s good.

So he's already mastered AA


I’d have to say yeah.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1131
x 319

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:44 am





Agree with everything Kiley said. There is definitely more interest in the MLB draft these days, and if you allow trading (for every pick in the draft) interest will increase. Teams would absolutely be willing to trade prospects for draft picks. Teams would trade veterans for draft picks (in the following year's draft).
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21118
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1641
x 2096

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby davell » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:18 am

I'm all for trading draft picks. But, how do you do it, since I can't see them getting rid of the slot value crap?

Keep it to top 10 round picks getting dealt. Maybe keep it to one year in advance. And MAYBE even keep a team from trading for more than what their original pool was. So the little guys can't complain about the big market teams just buying things..... And make it a lottery for non playoff teams, instead of the tank fest it is currently.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4143
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 41

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby craig » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:31 am

Regular Show wrote:.... Keith Law on Roederer:

Cole Roederer (2C) is a center fielder now with good feel to hit but has a hitch in his swing that probably has to be cleaned up for him to become a good hitter in pro ball. He also likely ends up in a corner where his fringy power could become an issue, so I'm not sure what the carrying tool is here.


That doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence...

I do count Hannemann as a raw guy who didn't work out even though he went to college. There are definitely parallels between Hannemann and Davis. I know Davis is the better athlete and has a higher upside. Brennen Davis actually has one of the highest ceilings in the entire draft... I just don't think he reaches it or even gets close. I believe Kiley McDaniel mentioned how some scouts were worried his bat was a 30 or 40.

I don't count IFAs with amateur draft picks. I'm strictly talking about the draft and the scouts involved with the MLB draft. I don't want to compare Gleyber and Eloy against our draft picks because it creates weird comparisons and we lack a lot of knowledge about how they scout internationally. It's not fair to compare Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber to Gleyber Torres and Miguel Amaya and so on. MLB teams scout those kids at a very young age and come to agreements when they are 14 or 15. Sometimes even younger now...

I do totally give credit to the international scouts for doing a great job and signing some top prospects.

I think we need to ask UK what he thinks and what other scouts think of the Cubs 2018 draft class.


All of your points are legit. Hannaman like Wilson was a raw hitting prospect, and the Cubs are 0-2. Even if they are O-2 thus far, that still doesn't prove they'll be 0-4 after this draft. (Even after Rizzo starts a game 0-2, that doesn't mean he'll never get a hit later.... )

Your point on Eloy/Gleber vs Davis/Roederer is valid. Different scouts involved, to some degree. (McLeod and others are involved with big-ticket internationals as well as high-round draftees, though, so it's not a totally different scouting group). It's the same development system at play whether a teenager was scouted by a draft scout or an international scout.

You are certainly right that Law had a non-gush report on Roederer, and some scouts question Davis's bat. So you may be correct that the Cubs have crummy scouts and drafted badly. That's certainly a plausible judgment to make. And even if it isn't, it's less than likely that some HS guys picked in the 60-80 range are going to success and prove otherwise.

I guess I'm just arguing two points:
1. The Cubs strategy was to draft for upside, and in their scouting perception, dumb/ignorant/naive/misguided as that may be, they thought they were taking two upside guys.
2. The Cubs put in a lot of effort on those two players, more so than did Law or Kiley, and believe the two guys have pretty significant upside. So maybe some difference in scouting opinion, it happens often. It may well be that Law and Kiley and Kiley's sources are good scouts, and the Cubs are bad scouts, so the Cubs may be dumb to believe that.

But hopefully we'll get lucky and the Cubs scouts will be vindicated.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90069
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 521
x 2598

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:59 am

craig wrote:Your point on Eloy/Gleber vs Davis/Roederer is valid. Different scouts involved, to some degree. (McLeod and others are involved with big-ticket internationals as well as high-round draftees, though, so it's not a totally different scouting group). It's the same development system at play whether a teenager was scouted by a draft scout or an international scout.


I'm with you on this. Sure, there are different scouts on the international side vs the draft, but it's the same player development system. The same player development group that turned raw prospects like Eloy and Gleyber and Soler into big time prospects/major leaguers (and failed on Eddy Martínez) have also succeeded on Almora and failed on Hannemann and Wilson. And while they didn't draft him, they also developed Javier Báez.

The success rate across baseball is not great for high risk teenage prospects, especially the later you draft them.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57662
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6560

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:07 am

davell wrote:I'm all for trading draft picks. But, how do you do it, since I can't see them getting rid of the slot value crap?

Keep it to top 10 round picks getting dealt. Maybe keep it to one year in advance. And MAYBE even keep a team from trading for more than what their original pool was. So the little guys can't complain about the big market teams just buying things..... And make it a lottery for non playoff teams, instead of the tank fest it is currently.
why have any limit?

Also not having games day of draft is total cut off your nose to spite your face territory. The MLB draft doesn't work on tv because none of the players will be anything for at least a couple years.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1131
x 319

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJuusBrcdSM

He'll fit right in on this team. I have no idea what the hell he's doing at the 18 second mark in the video lol, but he can do that after getting a base hit with us.
1 x

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5123
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 274
x 365

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:43 am

Wait, is Hannemann getting lumped in with the same fail Wilson is? I don't get how Hannemann was a fail at all, let alone on the same tier as Wilson. The guy played baseball for one season between the ages of 18-22 and still got to the majors. In the baseball world that's nothing but a PD win, minor victory it may be. This is not the sport, at least with hitting, to miss so many reps at those ages.

----

Looks like 6'3" LHP Chris Allen, out of Marin CC, will or has signed.

http://www.marinij.com/sports/20180606/ ... icago-cubs

“I had an idea (I’d be drafted today). I talked to the Cubs (area scout Gabe Zappin) and agreed on a number,” Allen said. “I’m ready to sign and go play for them.”


He didn't allow a HR in his 100 IP this season while striking out 102. The article says he saw an uptick in velocity this season and would have went to the University of Hawaii next season.

This is a clip of him picking up a swinging K with his best pitch, the cutter:

1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90069
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 521
x 2598

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Craig’s link to the Athletic piece on the draft has a lot of good stuff. On focusing on high upside preps:

“We went in really scouting that demographic even more thoroughly than we have in the past.”


Brennen Davis was one of the prospects who tested well:

Though it will take time to adjust to playing every day, seeing professional sliders and clicking into place all the long levers in his right-handed swing, Davis scored well on the team’s pitch-recognition system/video-game simulations.


The Cubs think Herron might not need TJS after reviewing his medicals.

On 11th rounder Riley Thompson:

“He’s got literally one of the best arms in the draft,” Dorey said, “regularly, mid-to-upper 90s with a power breaking ball. It was a little bit of a byproduct of just playing at Louisville, where they’ve had so much talent on the mound that he didn’t get a ton of opportunity, innings-wise.

“We saw that talent and we thought it was a really good risk to take him. We’ll negotiate and hopefully get him signed. I’m confident that we’re going to have great conversation and allow him to get to know us a little bit better as an organization.”
0 x
Image

toonsterwu
All-Star
Posts: 4403
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:10 am
x 37

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:49 pm

A few days later, and I think I really like the trio of Roberts/Franklin/Thompson a lot more than I originally did. No, we didn't get Casey Mize or any sort of elite pitching prospect (I would note that post-draft, there was a lot of talk by teams that some of the college arms that fell were a bit over-hyped ... I know one team said they thought the college arms that were available late first didn't have great ceilings), but in terms of post-1st round pitching talent, we got 3 fascinating guys, and 2 high floor guys (Richan/Casey), assuming we sign them. It's a good combination.

All this talk about video game simulation has me half-imagining them asking prospects to play VR video game baseball and see how they react. I know it's not just that, but just sort of makes me chuckle.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1292
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1131
x 319

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am

I missed this somehow lol...



0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44378
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 69
x 1943
Contact:

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Suddenly, I'm a bigger fan of Keith Law.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4143
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 41

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby craig » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 pm

toonsterwu wrote:A few days later, and I think I really like the trio of Roberts/Franklin/Thompson a lot more than I originally did. No, we didn't get Casey Mize or any sort of elite pitching prospect (I would note that post-draft, there was a lot of talk by teams that some of the college arms that fell were a bit over-hyped ... I know one team said they thought the college arms that were available late first didn't have great ceilings), but in terms of post-1st round pitching talent, we got 3 fascinating guys, and 2 high floor guys (Richan/Casey), assuming we sign them. It's a good combination.

All this talk about video game simulation has me half-imagining them asking prospects to play VR video game baseball and see how they react. I know it's not just that, but just sort of makes me chuckle.


Will be really curious to see how Roberts progresses. Hadn't realized he was so small. Lists at 5'11" 170, that's not your average pitcher build. So the guy seems to be an outlier in every way, size as well as relief-background and limited velocity.

One of the other things I noticed was how relatively young several of the college guys are. Often a college junior will be have-way or more from age 21 to age 22, like Fogey Herron who'll turn 22 in July.
Hoerner: just turned 21 within the last month.
Richan, end of March.
Herron's a fogey, almost 22 (in July).
Roberts: 20 (turns 21 on 4th-of-July)
WEber: 20, won't turn 21 till end of July.
Artis: turned 21 end of March
Mort: just turned 21 a couple weeks ago.
OK, Derek Casey is a super-fossil. Turned 22 way back in Feb, so he'll open next camp at age 23.

I'm just interested in the age, because guys can mature a lot around that age. So a guy like WEber, I like it that he'll play almost all next season at age 21. If it turns out he's just a true-blue hitter, in full-season at age 21, then age isn't really against him.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55360
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 392
x 5418

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Looks like slot for Hoerner.

0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21118
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1641
x 2096

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby davell » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Was hoping for less, although its good to see they think that highly of him. Doubt we've got any extra money to play with now. But, I'm assuming Davis and Roederer both get over slot, in saying that. Guessing that's where our 5% money is going.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20421
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 112
x 291

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby UK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Regular Show wrote:
craig wrote:
Regular Show wrote:....
So I have to say I'm NOT a big fan of these draft selections and this draft class overall for the Cubs. It seriously lacks in upside, and the chances of landing an impact player from this group is very low. ..... What I mean is that this group has an even smaller chance of landing an impact player compared to other team's draft selections. The best way to land an impact player is by taking a talented HS player with that coveted high-risk/high-reward profile. The Cubs didn't do that...

Brennan Davis does fit that profile, but I almost guarantee that won't work out. I actually really dislike that pick and think it's stupid considering we're giving him an overslot deal......


Interesting article in the Athletic about the Cubs draft, with some good quotes from Dorey etc..
https://theathletic.com/384762/2018/06/ ... -together/

Show, I hope you're wrong. I think some of your arguments are a little mixed. Seems to me that one argument is:
1. Cubs haven't done well outside of the first round thus far (I agree), so they won't do well outside of the first round in this draft either.
2. A second argument is that have failed with raw prospects before, so will fail with Roederer and Davis.
3. A third is that they didn't draft upside guys.

You may well be right.

But I think your second argument is the hinge one. I think Wilson is the only $$-HS guy they've signed. Hanneman is another example of a raw guy who didn't work out, but he was college already. The others, Crawfords and the like, those are 3rd-day picks. So to me, it seems like the Cubs record with HS-hitters like Roederer and Davis is pretty much wilson and that's it.

I agree, Wilson's been a hopeless failure, and a wasted pick. But I'm not sure failing on one HS pick, and then also some 3rd-day guys, I think that's a small data pool on which to conclude a trend. So I'm optimistic re both Roederer and Davis.

I think your 3rd argument is somewhat confusing. You complain that they didn't select upside guys, when to my perspective they took two such in Davis and Roederer. Reading what Dorey said, they were very much looking for upside guys, and ID'd Davis and Roederer as such. So the attempt is clearly there. You've already concluded that their attempts will fail, and you'll probably be correct. (Most 60-80 picks fail, especially HS ones....)

But that's a scouting evaluation on your part, I think, (or a scouting failure on their part), more than a strategic failure. If in fact they did fail.

My thinking is that although some of their HS guys have failed (Wilson and Sierra), they've had good luck with Gleyber and Eloy and Amara. So I'm not sure it's as well established and conclusive that they will fail to identify and develop teenage hitting prospects.


I don't know what to make of Roederer so I didn't actually mention him. I'm not sure how high his ceiling is or how his tools rate when he was fully healthy. I need to find out more info before I make a proclamation on him. Keith Law on Roederer:

Cole Roederer (2C) is a center fielder now with good feel to hit but has a hitch in his swing that probably has to be cleaned up for him to become a good hitter in pro ball. He also likely ends up in a corner where his fringy power could become an issue, so I'm not sure what the carrying tool is here.


That doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence...

I do count Hannemann as a raw guy who didn't work out even though he went to college. There are definitely parallels between Hannemann and Davis. I know Davis is the better athlete and has a higher upside. Brennen Davis actually has one of the highest ceilings in the entire draft... I just don't think he reaches it or even gets close. I believe Kiley McDaniel mentioned how some scouts were worried his bat was a 30 or 40.

I don't count IFAs with amateur draft picks. I'm strictly talking about the draft and the scouts involved with the MLB draft. I don't want to compare Gleyber and Eloy against our draft picks because it creates weird comparisons and we lack a lot of knowledge about how they scout internationally. It's not fair to compare Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber to Gleyber Torres and Miguel Amaya and so on. MLB teams scout those kids at a very young age and come to agreements when they are 14 or 15. Sometimes even younger now...

I do totally give credit to the international scouts for doing a great job and signing some top prospects.

I think we need to ask UK what he thinks and what other scouts think of the Cubs 2018 draft class.


Too early to tell.

To grade a draft property, there are 3 components in order of importance:

1) Player development
2) Draftees signed
3) Players selected

I don't know their strategy. From what I gathered, they went high contact ratios with hitters with athleticism with raw power potential. Contact rates are key among amateur hitters b/c swing and miss in HS, you're swinging and missing in pro ball. I like their strategy with position players.

As far as pitchers, they're obviously collegiate heavy. They have their justifiable reasons, I would like to see more higher ceiling arms that might be more raw but more signable than someone like Rocker. Its fine that want to go safer usually 2-10 (minus Hudson and Little) but throw some 11-40 money on a raw HS pitcher who might go the JUCO route.

As much as signability is a negative when they ask too much, the opposite is often ignored. If you get a marginal HS arm that will sign for anything, that increases his value. I remember we drafted a HS kid in the 13th rd and my boss said jokingly, here's 1000.00, he said where do I sign.... We had to tell him to take more.

The college players are all pretty safe bets, lower floors/lower ceilings. Minus Artis, I cant see a collegiate player above slot. Maybe Reynolds/Thompson but that'll be easily off-set by earlier picks.

The 3 HSers in the top 10 picks and their signings will determine the effectiveness of the draft.
2 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90069
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 521
x 2598

Re: 2018 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 am

Arizona Phil wrote:RHP Paul Richan (Cubs 2018 2nd round compensation pick - U. of San Diego) has officially signed and has been assigned to AZL Cubs #1.

Several other 2018 draft picks arrived at the Cubs facility in Mesa this morning (or are presently en route as we speak) and will sign later today.
0 x
Image


Return to “Amateur Baseball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest