2019 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Regular Show
All-Star

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:04 am

I'm not exactly sure if this performance moved Langeliers up the draft boards. He's ranked #10 on MLB.com's list already. It's pretty late in the scouting process so I doubt this moves the needle much.

The Cubs definitely have no shot at him.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:30 pm

I don’t think Langeliers gets past the Mets

That’s impressive. Prosecky’s a 6’4” HS LHSP from Illinois, up to 93 with three pitches, works fast and throws alot of strikes, Louisville commit

A couple of the most talented LHs in this draft, Prosecky and Antoine Kelly, are from Illinois

——

My guess is this guy is one of the toughest signs in the class as Vanderbilt commit but has chutzpah:

Same HS as Giolito, Flaherty, and Fried
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:57 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:16 am

The Orioles hopefully trolling:

Now, about 24 hours before the first pick is announced, there is some buzz that the Orioles will not be taking the switch-hitting backstop. High-level scouts from two different teams picking later in the first round were insistent that Baltimore is not planning on taking Rutschman.

Could it be posturing? Absolutely. But there is some noise that things are up in the air in the Orioles' Draft room. Even if Rutschman isn't completely out of the mix, it sounds like the Orioles are seriously discussing numerous options. Cal first baseman Andrew Vaughn is considered one of the top two alternatives, followed by a relatively new name in terms of serious conversation: Vanderbilt outfielder JJ Bleday. And some feel Texas prep shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. is still a possibility.

It's too soon to make a definitive move in first-round projections, but this will be something we will continue to monitor closely as we work on our final mock drafts. -- Jonathan Mayo, June 2

Possible Brett Batt pre-draft deal:

But there’s been some buzz for a while about Baty’s name in the top 10, mostly surfacing in talk of a deal with the Texas Rangers at No. 8 overall. It seems that the Rangers aren’t the only team up near the top kicking the tires on such a deal, with the White Sox, picking at No. 3, also discussing that possibility.

Up until this point, most of the talk with the White Sox centered around the up-the-middle prep athlete in Abrams vs. the college bat in Vaughn (assuming Rutschman and Witt go 1-2 in some order). Chicago hasn’t taken a high school player since 2012, leading many to conclude Vaughn would be the pick. But the White Sox are still considering other options that include Bleday on the college bat side and a potential deal with Baty. That seems more like a backup plan if things don’t go well in terms of signability with other players, but stranger things have happened. -- Jonathan Mayo, June 1
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:55 am

Cool Passan read:

The team's plan could be to offer that much to high school players seen more in range of picks 10 to 20 while being willing to spend upward of $10 million -- well over the $8.4 million Baltimore gets for the No. 1 overall pick this year -- on top-tier talent. So the best player says he's not signing for anything under $10 million ... and the team chooses him with its first-round pick. Another says he won't take a penny less than $9 million ... and he goes with the second-round pick. A third player says he'll go to college unless he gets $7 million ... and he goes to the team in the third round. And so on, for as many players as a team can get to agree to this.

It behooves the player, who gets paid far more than he would by teams adhering to slot. And the team can instantaneously build up its farm system and offer itself options: keep the players, develop them and reap the benefits of young, controllable talent, or dangle the players in trades, taking advantage of a far deeper farm system to target major league assets.

This is particularly tempting for the most successful teams, not just because the first-round picks they would give up carry significantly less slot value but because for teams in win-now mode, the ability to trade top prospects is a luxury few have. This would afford them that, and the only cost would be cash.

And it would be a lot. Let's not sugarcoat that. The perfect team this season would be the Boston Red Sox, who have a bad farm system, a great core and lots of money. Their bonus pool is an MLB-low $4,788,100. Say they convinced seven players to execute the plan and guaranteed them $50 million total. Their total outlay on those players alone would be closer to $96 million because of penalties.

It's still totally worth it. Seriously. Every executive surveyed said that the value of young players compared to what they get guaranteed in the draft is the single biggest bargain in baseball. If one of the seven players turns into a star, he is worth more than $96 million. If two of them grow into above-average major leaguers, they are worth more than $96 million. And that's to say nothing of their trade value.

The plan, in fact, has been executed on a smaller level. Before MLB instituted a hard cap on money spent on international amateurs, teams would annually blow through their bonus pools and accept the penalty of not being able to spend more than $300,000 on a player for the next two international signing periods. During the 2016-17 signing period, the San Diego Padres went on a frenzy, spending nearly $80 million on international players. When the bidding war over Cuban amateur Yoan Moncada ended, the Red Sox paid $31.5 million to him and happily doubled it because of the penalty.

Not even 18 months later, Boston traded Moncada, top pitching prospect Michael Kopech and two other prospects for Chris Sale, one of the best pitchers in baseball. That's what prospect capital offers. All the pre-arbitration contract extensions signed this winter -- at least a few of them will teem with marginal value, and the organizations with caches of prospects will be in the running to acquire them.

This sort of flexibility offers inherent value itself. Organizations crave the ability to pivot, to be creative, to weigh options, to settle on the best. Using the draft as a conduit to offer choices when rules restrict teams otherwise is a perfectly logical endpoint.

Outside of ownership’s nonsense, the Cubs would definitely fit the profile of a team that could do this. Basically sounds like treating the draft like a 7/2 period in which the team looks to blow past spending limits
0 x

Edith Cox
Starter

Postby Edith Cox » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:45 am

Mayo showing me some love on his last mock....
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-on-june-2

27. Cubs: Kameron Misner, OF, Missouri

So many tools, so little performance, especially in SEC play this year. It’s possible Misner could slide out of the first round as a result, but there’s some serious upside to tap into if a team feels they can straighten him out.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:48 am

https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-2019-mlb- ... e-coverage

The Cubs are reaching a crucial point in their contention timeline. While the Major League club's window for another World Series trophy is open, the expiration date for the core group that has powered this impressive era on the North Side could be in the not-too-distant future.

Barring contract extensions -- which certainly cannot be ruled out -- the likes of Kris Bryant, Javier Báez, Anthony Rizzo and others could hit free agency by the 2022 or '23 seasons. The rotation will look different even before then. That makes this an important phase of drafting and developing for the Cubs, who want to sustain their big league success for as long as possible.

"We're well, well past the point of still congratulating ourselves and being happy about [past Draft success]," said Jason McLeod, the Cubs' senior vice president of player development and amateur scouting. "We need to be better. Obviously, with where were are with the timeframe of the Major League club, we know we need to infuse more talent both out of the Draft and internationally."

As noted, the Cubs have relied heavily upon college players in recent year. Chicago took outfielder Albert Almora Jr. as a prep star in 2012, but have been college-focused ever since at the top of the Draft. Including 2012, which was Epstein's first year at the helm, the Cubs have taken 78.1 percent college players within the Draft's first 10 rounds. Last year, though, Chicago did nab two high schoolers (Cole Roederer and Brennen Davis) in the second round.

"We're not wedded to a college player," McLeod said. "The last couple years, it's been a college guy that's been there. But, there have been high school players that we had right there with Nico and others that we've taken. It just so happened that the college guy is the one that fell in our lap."

That's kinda interesting -- the part where he says "there have been high school players that we had right there with Nico" part. I wonder if he was talking about Jordan Groshans or Nolan Gorman from last year's draft? That gives me hope that the Cubs might take a high-upside HS player if the advanced college bats are all taken before their pick.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 pm

27. Chicago Cubs: Logan Davidson, SS, Clemson

I've heard them with some college arms that might be modest reaches at this pick, but in a weak pitching draft, it might make more sense.

- Keith Law

I find it really interesting how everyone seems to be hearing us attached to arms but mocking us college bats seemingly out of habit. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we go HS Arm then College Arm with the two picks today.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:18 pm

The big day is here. I kinda want Hoese but have a feeling he won't make it to us.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:The big day is here. I kinda want Hoese but have a feeling he won't make it to us.

I'd absolutely be thrilled if any of Priester,Hoese or Cavaco slipped to the Cubs
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Keith Law update to his latest mock draft:

27. Chicago Cubs: Logan Davidson, SS, Clemson

I've heard them with some college arms that might be modest reaches at this pick, but in a weak pitching draft, it might make more sense.

12:05 p.m. update: Braden Shewmake is a possibility here too.

Much rather have Braden Shewmake over Logan Davidson. I keep saying this, but I really doubt we take a HS pitcher at #27. It's not that great a draft class in terms of pitching.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:27 pm

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 pm

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 pm

I think this is just posturing; they're going to choose Adley. It'd be stupid to select anyone else at #1 IMO.

27. Cubs – Kody Hoese, 3B, Tulane
64. Cubs – Trey Faltine, RHP, William Travis HS (TX)

Fun fact: Kody Hoese grew up a Cubs fan. Quinn Priester too. Both are huge Cubs fans.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 pm

Why would the Orioles even bother posturing? I think this sudden confusion at 1 is the MLB trying to stir up some drama for us folks at home.

Faltine’s an athlete - 6’3” SS/RHP that doesn’t seem particularly advanced at either. Benefit of doubt yada yada, I wasn’t big on him during the pre-draft as a pitcher
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”