2019 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2019 Actual MLB Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Tryptamine wrote:So I'm pretty shocked not a single HS player has been taken. I suppose the good news is that in another year or two we wont have to trade our prospects for relievers anymore.

Assuming Al Leiter's kid won't be that easy to sign, what other best available guys are even a possibility to fit in whatever slot money they have left? Is Jerrion Ealy worth taking a chance on? Let him play some college football and hope you can persuade him to give it up after some exposure to your system?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Draft vaguely reminds me of our 2008 draft (Cashner, Shafer, Chris Carpenter, Justin Bristow early on). I actually liked that draft at the time, so I'll reserve judgment on this one, but time obviously hasn't made that class look all that great.

I'm just curious what their plan is with all these arms in terms of timeline ... are they going to go slow and work them slowly up the ladder, stretching them out? I mean, we're slowly getting some arms into the upper levels, so it's hard to see these draft picks squeezing guys out of spots out that fast.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 pm

toonsterwu wrote:Draft vaguely reminds me of our 2008 draft (Cashner, Shafer, Chris Carpenter, Justin Bristow early on). I actually liked that draft at the time, so I'll reserve judgment on this one, but time obviously hasn't made that class look all that great.

I'm just curious what their plan is with all these arms in terms of timeline ... are they going to go slow and work them slowly up the ladder, stretching them out? I mean, we're slowly getting some arms into the upper levels, so it's hard to see these draft picks squeezing guys out of spots out that fast.

on the other hand... cashner got us rizzo (and i think chris carpenter got us theo, lol), so.... win?
2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:39 pm

toonsterwu wrote:I'm just curious what their plan is with all these arms in terms of timeline ... are they going to go slow and work them slowly up the ladder, stretching them out? I mean, we're slowly getting some arms into the upper levels, so it's hard to see these draft picks squeezing guys out of spots out that fast.

Tracks are individual but McLeod’s comments read like they want to move pitchers at a more aggressive pace if/when possible
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Former Cubs draft pick (and pitcher at my alma mater PSU) Dante Biasi went in 6th round to Royals. Cubs took him in 22nd round in 2016, didn't sign.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm

David wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:Draft vaguely reminds me of our 2008 draft (Cashner, Shafer, Chris Carpenter, Justin Bristow early on). I actually liked that draft at the time, so I'll reserve judgment on this one, but time obviously hasn't made that class look all that great.

on the other hand... cashner got us rizzo (and i think chris carpenter got us theo, lol), so.... win?

Hey, the draft's to get talent to use, so we used it and sure ... that can count as wins. That draft also did produce Josh Harrison, Jay Jackson (who's seen some times in the bigs), Ryan Flaherty, Jeff Beliveau, all guys who saw times in the bigs, so it wasn't a total disaster, but dreams were a bit higher. That's the risk of a pitching heavy draft.

It also produced my favorite minor league name ... Rebel. Rebel Ridling.
2 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:52 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:I'm just curious what their plan is with all these arms in terms of timeline ... are they going to go slow and work them slowly up the ladder, stretching them out? I mean, we're slowly getting some arms into the upper levels, so it's hard to see these draft picks squeezing guys out of spots out that fast.

Tracks are individual but McLeod’s comments read like they want to move pitchers at a more aggressive pace if/when possible

Seems like an odd group to push aggressively if utilized as starters. I guess I could see Burgmann move relatively fast ... not hard to see him chew up A ball hitters if his curve is that quality. Dunno ... McAvenue feels like the guy to dream on in this draft, but would prefer they take time with him to get him work as a starter.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out I guess.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:55 pm

there's your high schooler
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:56 pm

the run ends... a high school catcher
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:56 pm

ranked 67 by mlb so he might take some money
Last edited by Brian on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:So I'm pretty shocked not a single HS player has been taken. I suppose the good news is that in another year or two we wont have to trade our prospects for relievers anymore.

Assuming Al Leiter's kid won't be that easy to sign, what other best available guys are even a possibility to fit in whatever slot money they have left? Is Jerrion Ealy worth taking a chance on? Let him play some college football and hope you can persuade him to give it up after some exposure to your system?

Ethan Hearn was one spot away from Ealy on mlb's best available list, 67 overall.
0 x

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Cashner is still pitching ten years later. Maybe I’m a soft grader but that class is a resounding scouting success in my book.
0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:20 pm

So Leiter is still available? Are teams just assuming he'd be too expensive/is set on going to college?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:22 pm

Guancous wrote:

Cashner is still pitching ten years later. Maybe I’m a soft grader but that class is a resounding scouting success in my book.

Harrison was in that draft too, plus up and down guys like Campana and Flaherty. Going to have a lot of drafts less successful than that one, for sure.
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:39 pm

back to college pitchers
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Depperman was selected by the Cubs in 2014 out of high school in the 31st round. He was ranked 192nd by BA... back then. Welcome back, Brad.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 pm

So our next interesting pick will likely be the 11th round?
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 pm

high school lefty with the first name Davidjohn
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Brian wrote:high school lefty with the first name Davidjohn

Her(z)?
3 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 pm

twitter account that is just Davidjohn clips, including football (QB) and basketball

https://twitter.com/JH_DjHighlights
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:The Rockies just took a guy from Ole Miss in the 5th round, pretty awesome for them to get a guy who has already mastered AA this late

deep nsbb cut.
3 x

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Is he related to Dan Bill Bishop?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 pm

0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:40 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:The Rockies just took a guy from Ole Miss in the 5th round, pretty awesome for them to get a guy who has already mastered AA this late

deep nsbb cut.

A scout's word is gospel.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:19 pm

From a Q&A session on The Athletic:

Kevin D.
What are you thoughts about Jensen? Personally, wasnt really thrilled about the pick. I did like their 2nd pick, the UCLA 2B. Any additional info?

Patrick Mooney
@Kevin D. Honestly never heard of Jensen until his name was announced last night, but that's how it goes in the baseball draft. Jensen fits into what the Cubs are trying to do as an organization, merging scouting, player development and R&D into a more cohesive system. We'll get into the other draft picks later in the week with a comprehensive story.

Sahadev S.
@Kevin D. Midseason acquisitions are going to focus on the bullpen, but we'll see what other needs pop up and how good the team is. If they're clearly contenders, which it looks like they are, expect Theo to be as aggressive as his system allows. I've gotten really good reports from area scouts outside the Cubs org on Jensen. Sounds like he popped late and the data on him has the people who get that stuff excited to work with him. I have to say, if Brendan Sagara is the real deal, which many people suggest he is, I think the embracing of technology in player development will be huge for this organization. Let's see if they've really figured things out. Results are all that matter though, so they have to start producing.

Raj C.
5h ago
What do you guys know M. McAvene?

Sahadev S.
@Raj C. Hard-throwing closer. Solid slider. Could see the Cubs try and make him a starter and see if they can figure something out with him like they did Riley Thompson.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Return to “Amateur Baseball”