2020 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Bertz
All-Star

Re: 2020 Draft Thread

Postby Bertz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:58 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/tedcahill/status/1228538816907972608?s=21

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:12 pm

More praise for this one they call...Max Meyer:

0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Emerson Hancock was roughed yesterday. Cole Wilcox fared much better today:

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 pm

BA had a piece on highest peak velocity among the college arms the other day. Cole Wilcox is one of four guys to peak at 100 last year:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... uing-arms/

It's actually a Joe Boyle piece after that tweet...some interesting stuff in there:

Notre Dame invested heavily in all the latest pitch-tracking technology in recent seasons under coach Mik Aoki, who was fired in June after nine seasons. Newly hired Link Jarrett isn’t as wed to the data, but he appreciates the way Boyle uses measurable feedback in the pursuit of excellence.

“The other day I got on the Rapsodo machine and also the Edgertronic (camera), and I was working on my changeup,” Boyle said. “I was saying, ‘This pitch doesn’t look like it’s moving. It looks like it’s just straight.’ They showed me video. From my angle on the mound, you can’t see it move, but from the batter’s angle you’re going to be able to see armside run and sink.”

Boyle, who junked his curveball once he got to college, has also worked this offseason to add more late horizontal movement to a slider that had become too vertical for his tastes. Ristano said the 2,600 revolutions-per-minute slider is tunneling better now than it did last spring and ranks with Boyle’s four-seam fastball (2,300-2,600 rpm) in terms of strike-zone efficiency.

“I think the use of analytics is just to confirm a lot of old ideas and confirm whether some are true or some are false and also develop new ideas,” Boyle said. “When I’m done pitching, it’s awesome to be able to go on my phone and be able to look at my data from the game and see, ‘OK, why was something working or why wasn’t something working?’”

Back to Cole Wilcox...Might be the Nate Pearson of this draft, and I like what they're saying about his changeup
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:39 am

Heston Kjerstad hit 4 home runs this weekend for Arkansas.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:51 pm

BA had a mock draft earlier this week. In this mock, Carlos Collazo of BA alternated picks with a front office executive who focuses on the draft at a national level. Collazo got the Cubs pick: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... ock-draft/

16 Austin Wells Arizona C

Notes: Given the way the board has played out so far, the Cubs could go in a number of directions. They took a break from the bats in last year’s draft and could do the same again this year. Tennessee lefthander Garrett Crochet is interesting and prep righty Mick Abel is the best talent remaining on the board, according to our draft rankings. Still, Austin Wells is a special lefthanded bat. In four games against Albany and Minnesota, Wells went 7-for-13 with a home run, four doubles and seven walks.

Prep RHP Mick Abel and prep OF Robert Hassell went in the next two picks and I'd much prefer either of them (and Collazo said he thought about going with Hassell for the Cubs).
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:01 am

I don't think he makes it to 16 but would be nice

Short list of pitchers I like for 16:

Emerson Hancock
Asa Lacy
Mick Abel
Reid Detmers - Also struck out 14 this weekend

Have a shot:

Nick Frasso
Victor Mederos
Cole Wilcox
Nick Bitsko
Alex Santos
Slade Cecconi
JT Ginn
Tanner Burns
Cole Henry - Seems slept on among the draft eligible sophomores

New HS player for me is Robby Ashford...6'4" four star Qb recruit for Ole Miss and also a RHH OF with all the tools
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:49 am

I think the Veen dream is dead

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:22 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:53 am

HS bats I'd take at 16 today:

Ed Howard SS
Zac Veen CF
Pete Crow-Armstrong CF - Better shot at CF than Veen, also a mean player, highest rated player since Giolito from the same school that also had Fried and Flaherty

Possibly:

Blaze Jordan bat
Robby Ashford CF

Longer shot:

Robert Hassell CF
Isaiah Greene CF

Other hot takes:

- Caden Grice could be a legit two way player as a 1B/LHP out of HS if he signs, might do it anyway working for the NCAA's Clemson program or however it works. He's not Triston Casas but otherwise seems a half bad HS 1B prospect. With his frame, athleticism, some feel for pitching, and possibly bat speed could make for an interesting non-first..more Trevor Clifton than Dylan Cease though as the draft spending goes with all these made up rules

- Someone should Caratini hitting IF prospect Alex Freeland, might not make a bad catcher

- Jordan Walker tried the two way player route but I think would be most interestin if he spent all spring in CF rather than the corner infield. I saw Longenhagen take a Bryant body comp question or something and it's lost how badass an athlete Bryant is

- Gage Workman might be best going back to school, would be 21 next year, but could be an interesting non-first. I like that he improved in his second go around in the Cape Cod League mostly since he went at 18 and 19, not to mention he's also a 6'4" switch hitting non-1B IF...He's come out struggling but seems like someome an org willing to take more risks should be into in the third or so

- Cade Cavalli's throwing 97 and dominating in the rotation, Kendall Rodgers said some had him hitting triple digits in January, probably should be in that college pitchers list above
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:17 am

I like this Bryce Jarvis guy...recently threw a 95 pitch, 15 K perfect game:

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Ryan Jensen from last year or Max Meyer this year?

Eric Longenhagen: Great question. Jensen threw many more strikes than Meyer but I think Meyer's slider is better than Jensen's was. Both plus athletes. I think I'd take Jensen but it's close.

Good to hear probably
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:23 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:

Eric Longenhagen: Great question. Jensen threw many more strikes than Meyer but I think Meyer's slider is better than Jensen's was. Both plus athletes. I think I'd take Jensen but it's close.

Good to hear probably

I’d say so. Meyer is starting to get mocked in the top 15 in a draft that’s considered stronger with college pitching.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:26 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:

Good to hear probably

thanks for all this information. It makes it really exciting and interesting and easier to keep up with. At least for people like me. I appreciate it.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 pm

weis21 wrote:thanks for all this information. It makes it really exciting and interesting and easier to keep up with. At least for people like me. I appreciate it.

You're welcome, glad to hear it...Now if only Longenhagen had said Jensen had the better third (change) and fourth (two seamer) pitches
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:09 pm

weis21 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

Good to hear probably

thanks for all this information. It makes it really exciting and interesting and easier to keep up with. At least for people like me. I appreciate it.

yeah, agreed. as much of a huge weirdo as i think you are, tom, i really appreciate it. you provide more insight than just about anyone here on these things this side of raisin.
4 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:33 am

OK, I've got momentum and will use it to post this made up mock. It's based around stuff I read on the internet about the first ten maybe more picks all being from the college rankings:

Tigers: Spencer Torkelson 1B - End up taking Torkelson due to power and CCBL success

Orioles: Austin Martin SS - He's struck out just once so far this season, wouldn't be a bad #1

Marlins: Nick Gonzalez 2B - Another top performing college bat after Bleday last year

Royals: Heston Kjerstad OF - Need bats for a lineup of The Future, big LH power is a good start

Blue Jays: Asa Lacy LHSP - Could use a OF like Mitchell or Kjerstad but take the big lefty to pair with Manoah

Mariners: Emerson Hancock SP - Another possibly elite prospect to join Kelenic, Rodriguez, and Gilbert

Pirates: Zack Veen CF - The first HS player off the board to follow the Priester pick

Padres: Garrett Mitchell CF - Just 2 Ks in his first 41 PAs this season, hasn't played in the Cape which even Torkelson stopped by

Rockies: Patrick Bailey C - Big glove first switch hitting C showing big power, could move fast to a franchise that could use all those things

Angels: Reid Detmers LHSP - Detmers is a little HR happy but otherwise could be pretty high quality LHSP prospect...Cole Wilcox or Cade Cavalli could make sense too

White Sox: Cade Cavalli RHSP - Built similar to Matt Harvey and works fastball/curveball like Harvey did in college, but less extreme arm slot and workload. What does it all mean? Might need more pitches

Reds: Zac Deloach OF - Following up a strong Cape with a strong junior season

Giants: Jordan Westburg SS - Big college SS/IF with power potential and patience, successful Cape

Rangers: Austin Wells C - LHH hit during his freshman season and then the CCBL, is still hitting now

Phillies: Cole Wilcox RHSP - Combo of health, power stuff, and projection could get him higher but I like him most in the 11-15 range

Cubs - Mick Abel RHSP - Theo using math, science, and most of all teamwork will determine this is the year to take a HS pitcher. Definitely did not fix this mock for this player for sure

Favored non-first talents (college): Andrew Abbott LHRP, Hugh Fisher LHP, and Trei Cruz a switch hitting IF who hit in the CCBL
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:41 pm

JT Ginn has Tommy John surgery. Was a probable first rounder, potential top 10 pick before the injury.

0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:59 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:JT Ginn has Tommy John surgery. Was a probable first rounder, potential top 10 pick before the injury.

I imagine the Nationals at #22 or #56 would be a possible landing spot for Ginn.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:43 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:JT Ginn has Tommy John surgery. Was a probable first rounder, potential top 10 pick before the injury.

I imagine the Nationals at #22 or #56 would be a possible landing spot for Ginn.

He's a draft-eligible sophomore with college leverage and already passed on big money from the Dodgers coming out of high school, so I think it'll have to be a team with multiple day 1 picks who will have a higher bonus pool to spend.
3 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:12 am

BA on Ginn’s draft prospects:

While the news is concerning, there have been several college pitchers in recent years who have had the surgery during their draft-eligible seasons and still been selected in the first round. Since 1999, notable examples include Jeff Hoffman (Blue Jays, No. 9 overall) and Erick Fedde (Nationals, No. 18 overall) in 2014 as well as Clarke Schmidt (Yankees, No. 16 overall) in 2017.

As for Ginn, he still has plenty of flexibility moving forward. He could still wind up being selected this June—anywhere from the back of the first round to the early second round makes sense at this point—or choose to return to school where he will be a redshirt sophomore in 2021 and still retain three years of eligibility.

"Ginn had a dominant freshman year and was probably slated to go in the top 10-12 (picks) if he built on his freshman season this year," said one American League scout. "Coming out of high school, there were questions about his ability to start, but he did so at a high level as a freshman while showing a plus fastball, slider and control.

"His control in particular was much better than expected. He was noticeably not the same in his first outing of the spring. His stuff and control were both markedly below his normal standards. His ability to maintain his body during his rehab will be a key."
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 am

I wasn't too high on Ginn even before the TJ, was hoping he'd be one of those draft day prospects that knocks down a better prospect (still can!). Gallardo can be a similar and now healthier prospect as soon as this season, and this draft probably offers an opportunity for more variety without sacrificing quality. Much prefer one of the big lefties in Fisher or the HS guy if taking a draft season TJ

Right now I want new guy to tell Jed to request that Theo ask PTR for permission to draft and sign Abel and the HS lefty back to back. PTR and family will have to clear and then plan out the draft accordingly with the other owners if approved, it will be, and then all Presidents of Baseball Operations will be notified to send it down the pipeline. It'll be like 2018 with Gallardo and Machado on 7/2 except slightly more expensive for being made in the US of A
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:32 am

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:11 am

If Bradfield is showing power like that he joins the multiple LHH CFs possibly worth a first round pick. Interesting that the league's short on and CFs maybe and magically this draft has (no order) Kjerstad, Mitchell, Veen, Hendrick, Crow-Armstrong, Hassell, Greene, and Bradfield at least with first round and some CF potential with guys like Kelenic and Josh Lowe maybe ready to debut this season. My first thoughts go to things like reptilians, clones, and sleeper agents with families like in The Americans

0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:28 pm

0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”