2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Can't put this in the old thread but I like to think this is my top 60, a little shaky at the end tho...Worst case these are 60 prospects I noticed and ranked for no reason...This is a great HS class,NCAA is about to get fat. There's guys like Cole Fontonelle and Pete Halpin not even on here...Edited in a missing duo with Alerick Soulaire and Austin Wells:

Spencer Torkelson - Great prospect
Austin Martin - Ian Kinsler/Ben Zobrist hybrid? Wish he played some CCBL
Asa Lacy - Reminiscent of some elite lefties like Sale and Liriano as prospects
Jared Kelley - Highest ceiling RHP, should be the first HSer from this class to reach the MLs
Austin Hendrick - Huge ceiling for a team willing to play him in CF

Emerson Hancock - Maybe needs a savvy org but should end up a many pitch first division starter
Ed Howard - Baseball lifer with all the tools to be a franchise SS
Nick Gonzales - Bat first 2B who hit a ton in college including a great CCBL
Dillon Dingler - 6'3" former CF walked more than he K'd last year and might have been having a power breakout
Robby Ashford - Foozeball nonsense blankets legit 5 tool CF potential and huge ceiling

Jordan Walker - Huge ceiling thanks to ability to stick at 3B
Pete Crow-Armstrong - All I'd ask is Kenny Lofton
Mick Abel - Big stuff, reminds me of the underrated AJ Burnett
Tanner Witt - Similar draft season improvements to Grayson Rodriguez
Daniel Cabrera - Solid OF, on radars a long time

Garrett Mitchell - Needs to get to power, CF defense helps him as does being a LHH
Heston Kjerstad - Seems alot like Schwarber but without the hullabaloo
Masyn Winn - Aggressive and overpowering with multiple offspeeds, great player for Team USA
Tanner Burns - Great run prevention in the SEC to go with starter skills and four seam
Max Meyer - Potential closer, slider is a badass pitch, Team USA's top SP last year

JT Ginn - Forgotten somehow but legit SP upside
Zac Veen - Some swing and miss and questions about defense
CJ Van Eyk - 3 pitch mix includes knucke curve, very productive
Alika Williams - Taller glove first college
SS in the mold of Nick Ahmed
Andrew Abbott - Plug and play reliever with closer or starter potential, top of the draft makeup or confidence or both

Dax Fulton - Curveballing lefty might have competed with Abel w/o TJ
Carson Tucker - Like a stronger Hak Ju Lee, his brother's really good so maybe it rubbed off
Chase Davis - Huge ceiling as a slugging LHH CF with some speed and defense too
Drew Bowser - Maybe the most unsignable player in the draft, 1/1 kind of potential as a college bat
Nick Griffin - Windup pays homage to Cliff Lee, 4 pitch mix

Ricky Tiedemann - Outstanding frame, has a brother in the Rangers org
Zavier Warren - Switch hitting college SS with outstanding plate discipline, sneaky power, pro size, some speed, some arm
Tommy Mace - Tall, angular low walk rates this Spring and freshman 2018
Burl Carraway - Plug and play power lefty reliever from DBU
Ryan Webb - Another college LHRP, like Abbott may get a shot to start

Cole Wilcox - SP or closer potential
Zac Deloach - Blew up last Summer, walked more than he struck out as a freshman in the SEC, has a shot at
Jordan Westburg - Big SS with power and some hit
Chris McMahon - Productive P with some room to get stronger
Slade Cecconi - Reminds me a little of Javy Vazquez but also I just say things

Gage Workman - Starter tools somewhere, a little raw maybe
Jacob Teter - Projectable L/L 6'6" 1B hung in the CCBL
Hudson Haskin - Extremely productive Tulane CF, no CCBL
Alerick Soulaire - Resembles a RHH Frank Catalannato
Alex Wells - Might not have the arm to catch but has only mashed in college

Mitchell Parker - JC LHSP has control issues (45 BBs) but otherwise dominated the circuit in 2019 over 64.1 (111 Ks, 32 Hs, 1 HR, 1.54 ERA, 2 CG)
Luke Little - Freak but not a long track record
Garrett Crochett - 21 HRs allowed in just 138 intern innings
Trei Cruz - Very productive 2019 including CCBL, possible 3rd gen player
Sam Weatherly - Reliever risk but some SP potential there

Caden Grice - Highest ceiling two way prospect, big power
Jack Moss - Bat speed and power on giant HS 1B, likely replacing Torkelson at ASU
Bobby Seymour - Swing change candidate, massive but hit over power
Robert Hassell - Personally prefer him as a pitcher, he's up to 93 with a curve
Casey Schmitt - Most polished two way player, closer potential

Bobby Miller - SP frame, healthy arm, throws hard
Jimmy Glowenke - DBU SS brings energy and solid skills
Ian Bedell - BOR starter and multi inning reliever who throws strikes
Kaden Polcovich - Switch hitting IF with momentum
Shay Whitcomb - Another productive college SS

Jacob Palisch - Dominated CCBL as a SP, mostly relief at Stanford
Logan Austin - I keep thinking he reminds me of Seth Lugo, HS RH
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:10 pm

D1 Baseball mock draft:

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Sigh. Eric’s new mock.

16. Chicago Cubs – Patrick Bailey, C, North Carolina State
As the draft approaches, Bailey is the one college hitter who appears to be slipping down the board, and I think a team with a track record of drafting safe college players will just take him. I also have the Cubs attached to Alika Williams, though I’m not sure if they’d cut for him here or if that’d be in Round 2.

Abel, Bitsko, Hendrick and Mitchell all were available.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Sigh. Eric’s new mock.

As the draft approaches, Bailey is the one college hitter who appears to be slipping down the board, and I think a team with a track record of drafting safe college players will just take him. I also have the Cubs attached to Alika Williams, though I’m not sure if they’d cut for him here or if that’d be in Round 2.

I'm a hard pass on that. The Cubs seem like they've been connected to a wide variety of players. I'm hoping they're just keeping everything close to the vest and it's all conjecture. Eric's statement in the mock even make it seem like that. If we're going to reach for an ASU infielder, give me Gage Workman.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:08 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Sigh. Eric’s new mock.

I'm really hoping that Williams blurb doesn't come to fruition. I don't want a faster Darwin Barney as a mid-1st round pick.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:19 pm

This guy is with Prospects Live. First time I’ve seen Jones mentioned with the Cubs.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Today's mocks outside of Hendrick and Mitchell seem to be leaning towards the old model of college bat with CCBL...Loftin, Bailey...meh, save that for outside the first where plenty of talent will be available

Williams and Bailey are two prospects who would kill with the Rockies so maybe they're just confusing Cubs for Rockies
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Keith Law updated his mock just now. Went from Foscue this morning to PCA.

16. Chicago Cubs: Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF, Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) School

I was told Detmers wouldn’t get past the Cubs, and if he and Crow-Armstrong are gone, they might go with Justin Foscue. They’re also one of the teams most linked to Abel. It’s worth noting that the Cubs haven’t taken a high school pitcher in the first round since 2005 (Mark Pawelek), and haven’t taken any high school player in the first round since 2012 (Albert Almora), but they’ve changed scouting directors this year and appear to have a new approach to the draft.
0 x

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:08 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jensen_juicy/status/1270781442218311680?s=21

This guy is with Prospects Live. First time I’ve seen Jones mentioned with the Cubs.

I like Jones a good bit, as far as prep RHPs go. He would be a really nice option if there in the 2nd.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:03 pm

Alright since this is about to start, my ideal draft is basically:

Kelley/Hendrick/Ashford/Crow-Armstrong
Shuster
Abbott
Warren
Teter

Tons of wiggle room just hope they're not boring in the first

Obviously the real key is that everyone works together and has fun
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:05 pm

0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:11 pm

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Garrett Mitchell’s junior year fall reminds me of Trea Turner’s. Both were well regarded, athletic prospects who fell due to injury/health issues and swing concerns.

No one knew what Trea Turner's ultimate position was going to be and most scouts had doubts he could stick at SS.

Yeah, some similarities for sure. Turner is the better athlete, but Mitchell is also very good athletically. I don't know if the Padres or Nats did anything to his swing or if he just got stronger naturally? I'd have to ask.

Off the top, I don't recall a huge swing change for Turner. I'm sure there's been tinkering, but I think the biggest change was that he made a concerted effort to improve his approach and discipline at his plate. I recall a few articles about that.

Reading some of the reports on Mitchell and youtube clips, it's an odd comparison, but the first thought (since I follow the program a bit more) is a more disciplined Jarrett Parker, who had a similar gap approach due to Davenport. Of course, a more disciplined Jarrett Parker opens the door to other comparisons. Parker, with the Giants, tried to adjust for power, and struggled, but his struggles were due to the awful discipline that led to K rates at around 30%.

I'd be fine with Garrett Mitchell, but don't love it.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Torkelson as a 3B, good horsefeathers...I like teams being aggressive about position just let them fail

hA! Kjerstad was going 2 in the mock I never finished...Teams are thirsty for LH power and Orioles have money

Martin next, Lacy to Jays...are what I'm calling
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:21 pm

WOW... The Orioles took Heston Kjerstad this high? That could be a mistake, maybe a big mistake in a few years.

In their book Future Value, they mention some of the poor decision-making of the Houston Astros and how they almost took Max Fried #1 over Carlos Correa in 2012.

The Orioles GM comes from the Astros and has the same mindset -- try to be aggressive at the top and save money when you have similarly ranked prospects at the very top. I don't think Heston Kjerstad is as good as Austin Martin, but we'll see. I think it was a big mistake IMO.
Last edited by Regular Show on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Honestly, I'd love a Bitsko gamble, as much as a part of me hopes he somehow slips out of the first round and heads to UVA. That said, I'm not really expecting it. Don't know if I really buy this sudden switch to HS picks, particularly this year. Also, I don't recall Kantrovitz's run in St. Louis as being heavy on HS upside early. I could see them go with someone who comes cheaper, maybe Foscue, and trying to take a gamble in the 2nd.
That said, I don't know who my preference is in the first. I actually sort of like the Pete Crow-Armstrong nod, and Kantrovitz was in charge when the Cardinals picked Flaherty from Harvard-Westlake.

Dunno, I wonder if they end up going for a college arm, maybe someone like Beeter.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:26 pm

Regular Show wrote:WOW... The Orioles took Heston Kjerstad this high? That could be a mistake, maybe a big mistake in a few years.

Wasn't that a late rumor, though? That Kjerstad could be in the mix to save money to spend big later?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:26 pm

I expect Baltimore is just saving money to go overslot later. But I don’t trust Miami to not be pinching pennies.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:28 pm

Lol
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:28 pm

Now this is a surprise...Weird, reminds me more of a closer than a TOR SP
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:28 pm

Two big surprises early. How much of this is trusting their scouts and how much is saving money?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:37 pm

I have Austin Martin as my #1 prospect over Spencer Torkelson in my rankings, so I find this all really weird...

Zac Veen is still my top ranked HS bat and I'm really surprised how this draft has proceeded.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:38 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:I expect Baltimore is just saving money to go overslot later. But I don’t trust Miami to not be pinching pennies.

The one thing I'll say on that Meyer pick is that he sort of seems to fit the mold of athletic arms that they've tried to go after. It's entirely possible that they are pinching pennies, as with the Marlins, it's show me before anyone buys it, but I can sort of rationalize in my head that they thought he fit their mold and his strong showing this year was enough as an upside nod. This isn't to say I love it, but I can sort of see an upside nod here. Hancock doesn't particularly fit their mold, and I don't know, but I never really got on board the Asa Lacy hype (partly because I don't follow as much as before). If they wanted an arm, it sort of makes sense.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:39 pm

Zero masks for this broadcast and these gatherings? Oh MLB

Yeah I think Miami is pinching pennies and the O's will overslot
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 pm

Mayhem indeed.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 pm

The Jays have 2014/15 Cubs like position player potential
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Amateur Baseball”