2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Regular Show
All-Star

Re: 2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Regular Show » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:19 pm

I really don't think comping Ed Howard to Addison Russell works conceptually and think people are just doing it because they are/were highly-rated Cubs SS prospects and because they're Black...

Addison had these big, broad shoulders and quick explosive hands and scouts expected lots of power. I think Ed Howard has a better approach and should hit for a better average, but less power (should get stronger though). Addison was really good on defense and I don't think Ed Howard reaches that level.

I think that's a lazy comp.

And I get you guys wanting to do comps, but the point of the exercise is to compare prospects to a modern-day player to help inform other people. You guys are comping people to Angel Guzman and Andy Sisco and Orlando Cabrera and others? I don't even remember the tool grades and body types for these players. The further back you go the harder it is for younger people to understand the comp.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:21 pm

So it seems like we did pretty well? Early to tell but some high upside prospects and a couple power arms to energize the system.
Last edited by Post Count Padder on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:22 pm

craig wrote:1. Howard - Addison Russell (pre-abuse? Or as Russell was perceived while a rising prospect?)
2. Burl - LH Maples?
3. Nwogu - Mike Mallory
4. Little - Andy Sisco
5. Moreno - Angel Guzman.

Insert Obi Wan "that's a name I haven't heard in a long time" gif
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:26 pm

MLB.com: What was your impression of the Cubs’ staff and front office from your side of the computer screen during their Zoom call with you?
BC: “Yeah, I had a really good Zoom call with the Cubs early on. We knew, hearing from my advisor, I knew that they were just a top-notch organization. Not only in the way they go about their business, but being ahead of the curve with technology and data and things like that. So, I knew that that was going to be a good fit. And we didn’t know until a couple hours ago that that was where I was going to end up, but just being able to go through those Zoom calls and get that kind of information and get a good feel for organizations like that is something that maybe doesn’t happen in a normal Draft year, but since we had all this time, I was able to do that and I said it earlier, but I think it’s a great fit. I’m super excited to be a part of their organization.”

MLB.com: Did you feel like the Cubs’ conversation with you was different than the way other teams approach it?
BC: “Yeah, I definitely got a different feel with each individual organization. They were one that was really early on. Right as they opened things back up, I set up the call with them — like my first or second call. So, I really got a good feel for them early on. It’s a lot of fun getting on a Zoom call and maybe being able to go through different things that’s not just an interview process, where you’re getting asked questions and then whenever they’re done, you hang up. It felt like a solid conversation and they were going through things that have been key to my game and my improvement as a player, whether it was the technology side of things or being ahead of the curve with looking at data when they make their choices. So, yeah, it’s a great fit.”

https://bastian.mlblogs.com/i-think-its ... f924b2307a
1 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 pm

“He’s pretty special,” Heefner said. “He legitimately has two pitches that are borderline unhittable. The fastball and the curveball. It’s shocking that he didn’t go higher than he did, because with the Trackman data they have today, where you can compare guys to everybody across the country, I’ve heard several organizations say that his fastball and his breaking ball graded out the best in the whole Draft.”
1 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:44 am

I saw a note that for college draftees, Trackman had Burl and Little with the best and 4th scores for 4-seam. Wow. Nice.

Not sure whether that was for LHP only, or for all college draftees?
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:54 am

craig wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
Tim wrote:lol - I had the exact same thought when I read that.

Benjamin Rodriguez

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?si ... _id=675851

I'm assuming Eric is referring to this guy in our system. Just accidentally replaced the 'g' with a 'q' I think. I don't know of a "Benny Rodriquez"...

That benjamin is a pitcher. Maybe he's strengthened a ton and has gone from 82 to 96 or something. But it seems maybe kinda unexpected to include a pitcher in the middle of of a line about strength-program hitters?

To be clear, in that sentence from the FG write up, he simply said strength program, not specifically for hitters.

Longenhagen definitely knows who Benjamin Rodriguez is. Two years ago he wrote about him, "Also, Benjamin Rodriguez as a name of note to watch grow and develop the next two years. Super lanky teenage prospect with a clean delivery. Fastball 87-90 in my looks. Purely someone to follow because the body and delivery are good."

So he's had his eye on him and presumably he's gained some muscle. I haven't read about him gaining a ton of velocity. I don't think he's mid-90s or anything. If I recall correctly, the last report had him in 90-92.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:15 am

craig wrote:I saw a note that for college draftees, Trackman had Burl and Little with the best and 4th scores for 4-seam. Wow. Nice.

Not sure whether that was for LHP only, or for all college draftees?

Yeah I saw that when I was looking at Burl's twitter (he re-tweeted the below tweet), appears to be all of college baseball.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:04 am

The recent top prep SS turned elite prospect to comp Howard isn't Russell but rather Gavin Lux with the Dodgers. Russell bulked up his senior year and some thought he might move to 3B because of it. Lux, like Howard, is listed at 6'2" 190ish and was considered a really good defensive player with questionable pop. A couple advantages Howard has over Lux are his track record as an amateur and a little more certainty of remaining a SS...Neither from traditional hotbeds either, Lux is from Wisconsin

Combining pedigree and certainty to play SS THO, I'd put Howard behind only Witt among prep SSs since 2012 off the top of my head....Third if you back it up a year to include Lindor and make it ten drafts....Lindor is another one who was supposed to be all glove meh offense but extremely highly regarded start to finish anyway...Dodgers made a comment after drafting Lux that these big, athletic, HS guys who defend really well and have offensive tools do really well and I....really going out on a limb here...tend to agree...Mets got another guy like that in Crow-Armstrong

I'm still crazy about this pick btw, just feels like one of those selections that immediately hit a sweet spot...Right guy at the Right Time thing...I can already hear future opponent fans talking about how overrated he is

----

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-non-d ... ree-agents

Under the rules for this year’s Draft, any undrafted player can now sign with any team, but for no more than $20,000. So it’s like a free-market system, but with a hard cap. Some scouts have likened it to a college recruiting process, with each organization putting together proposals of what it has to offer that might help set it apart from other interested teams.

^^ Bet the reptilians in charge of sports are pretty proud of this

Oraj Anu and Kavadas from that list hit some HRs in the CCBL and/or were multi year starters...Kafka has a cool last name
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:51 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:The recent top prep SS turned elite prospect to comp Howard isn't Russell but rather Gavin Lux with the Dodgers. Russell bulked up his senior year and some thought he might move to 3B because of it. Lux, like Howard, is listed at 6'2" 190ish and was considered a really good defensive player with questionable pop. A couple advantages Howard has over Lux are his track record as an amateur and a little more certainty of remaining a SS...Neither from traditional hotbeds either, Lux is from Wisconsin

Combining pedigree and certainty to play SS THO, I'd put Howard behind only Witt among prep SSs since 2012 off the top of my head....Third if you back it up a year to include Lindor and make it ten drafts....Lindor is another one who was supposed to be all glove meh offense but extremely highly regarded start to finish anyway...Dodgers made a comment after drafting Lux that these big, athletic, HS guys who defend really well and have offensive tools do really well and I....really going out on a limb here...tend to agree...Mets got another guy like that in Crow-Armstrong

I'm still crazy about this pick btw, just feels like one of those selections that immediately hit a sweet spot...Right guy at the Right Time thing...I can already hear future opponent fans talking about how overrated he is

----

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-non-d ... ree-agents

Under the rules for this year’s Draft, any undrafted player can now sign with any team, but for no more than $20,000. So it’s like a free-market system, but with a hard cap. Some scouts have likened it to a college recruiting process, with each organization putting together proposals of what it has to offer that might help set it apart from other interested teams.

^^ Bet the reptilians in charge of sports are pretty proud of this

Oraj Anu and Kavadas from that list hit some HRs in the CCBL and/or were multi year starters...Kafka has a cool last name

Russell actually lost a lot of weight before his senior year to get in shape and alleviate concerns that he would move off shortstop as a pro.

Lux is an interesting comparison. Similar size, both were defense-first prospects with promising swings coming out of HS.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:50 am

MLB Pipeline had Jensen ranked 8th going into the season.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Lux is an interesting comparison. Similar size, both were defense-first prospects with promising swings coming out of HS.

This is what the Dodgers were saying after taking Lux:

"This type of player, historically, does very well in the Draft," said Dodgers scouting director Billy Gasparino, who wouldn't compare Lux by name to anyone. "Several over the years with the same skill set have gone on and done well. We felt it's an undervalued, underappreciated skill set. They usually overachieve than underachieve. We think he's a really good package to take with our first pick."

"We really think he has a chance to be a really good hitter at the Major League level. He has talent and skill and the kid comes from a baseball family and he has a really high character. One of the things we were impressed with was how much strength he put on in the last six months. He's more physical than you think. The Wisconsin stigma might throw some people off. He's not a raw kid; he's advanced. We don't think he's a slow mover."

https://www.mlb.com/news/gavin-lux-pick ... c183109586

Cubs made similar comments on Howard's physical growth...By now we all kinda know about the makeup and character...they also share being called advanced by the two orgs

---

Total aside but IdonthateMarquee'scoverage
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:19 pm

BA's top 25 undrafted college seniors:

1. Cam Shepherd, SS, Georgia (No. 298)
2. Luke Smith, RHP, Louisville (No. 345)
3. John McMillon, RHP, Texas Tech (No. 357)
4. Blake Brown, RHP, UNC Asheville (No. 375)
5. Austin Smith, RHP, Southwestern (Texas) (No. 406)
6. Bradlee Beesley, OF, Cal Poly (No. 429)
7. McLain O’Connor, SS, UC Santa Barbara (No. 432)
8. Trevin Esquerra, 1B/OF, Loyola Marymount (No. 433)
9. Nolan McCarthy, RHP, Occidental (Calif.) (No. 437)
10. Scott McKeon, SS/2B, Coastal Carolina (No. 438)
11. Harrison Ray, 2B, Vanderbilt (No. 441)
12. Hunter Stanley, RHP, Southern Mississippi (No. 498)
13. Chase Antle, RHP, Coastal Carolina
14. Jacob Hurtubise, OF, Army
15. Austin Langworthy, OF, Florida
16. Brian Van Belle, RHP, Miami
17. Matt Mervis, 1B/RHP, Duke
18. Matt Scheffler, C, Auburn
19. Jonathan Hughes, RHP, Georgia Tech
20. A.J. Block, LHP, Washington State
21. Max Troiani, OF, Bentley (Mass.)
22. Justin Lavey, SS, Louisville
23. Lael Lockhart, LHP/OF, Houston
24. TJ Collett, 1B, Kentucky
25. Nick Trogrlic-Iverson, RHP, Gonzaga
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Fangraphs now has a blurb and ranking on Koen Moreno:

Ranked 233 (35+ FV)

TLDR
Four pitches are all about solid average, wokring 88-92 with projection, changeup is best secondary.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:52 pm

From different discussion board:
Lifted this from the Cubs Draft Tracker guy re. Koen Moreno, the HS 5th rounder.

Gave an interview with a local podcast guy.
Q: Do you have an idea if you're gonna if you're gonna pick between heading to college VCU and signing with the Cubs?
A: Yeah, so I mean, it's definitely you know, this draft is so different because, you know, they want kids to sign. So I believe that I am going to sign with the cubs. Um, so yeah
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm

craig wrote:From different discussion board:
Lifted this from the Cubs Draft Tracker guy re. Koen Moreno, the HS 5th rounder.

Gave an interview with a local podcast guy.
Q: Do you have an idea if you're gonna if you're gonna pick between heading to college VCU and signing with the Cubs?
A: Yeah, so I mean, it's definitely you know, this draft is so different because, you know, they want kids to sign. So I believe that I am going to sign with the cubs. Um, so yeah

He sounds excited.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:59 pm

So I could probably look this up but I'm lazy: how much do we have allotted to sign UDFAs? And how many do you think we'll sign? And how long will the process take. I get this is all new but in the NFL Draft, there's like a mad rush to sign guys in the 2-3 days after.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:So I could probably look this up but I'm lazy: how much do we have allotted to sign UDFAs? And how many do you think we'll sign? And how long will the process take. I get this is all new but in the NFL Draft, there's like a mad rush to sign guys in the 2-3 days after.

Teams can sign an unlimited # of UDFAs but bonuses are capped at $20K. Hard to say how many they'll sign, no clue how long the signing period is, college seniors and older HSers like Alejandra Rosario (Miami recruit so maybe not) are the most likely to sign I guess
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:49 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:So I could probably look this up but I'm lazy: how much do we have allotted to sign UDFAs? And how many do you think we'll sign? And how long will the process take. I get this is all new but in the NFL Draft, there's like a mad rush to sign guys in the 2-3 days after.

Teams can sign an unlimited # of UDFAs but bonuses are capped at $20K. Hard to say how many they'll sign, no clue how long the signing period is, college seniors and older HSers like Alejandra Rosario (Miami recruit so maybe not) are the most likely to sign I guess

And you can't sign anyone until Sunday at 9 am ET.
1 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:28 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA's top 25 undrafted college seniors:

There’s some talent there. My intial favorites:
Luke Smith looks like he has some workable qualities. He’s clearly got some fire with his CWS “F U” to Vanderbilt. There’s not a lot of projectability, but he has three pitches and 14 starts for a strong program. It also wouldn’t be a Cubs draft if they didn’t bring in a Louisville pitcher.

Austin Smith is a DIII guy who barley pitched this year due to blisters. He’s younger (21) than most guys on the list.he has a decent low 90s FB, but needs a breaking ball. He’d be a good pitch lab guy

Bradlee Beesley is a CCBL performer (.948 OPS) who looks like he can play CF and has speed. May not be a power guy, but could be a valuable 5th OF.

There’s definitely some other intriguing relievers that need considerable work and I’m guessing they’ll look at bringing in a C or two. Kantrovitz was on Marquee’s podcast and talked about with hitters they have a philosophy of targeting guys that can control the strike zone. It’s a pretty common philosophy, but it’ll be interesting to see if they bring in any more depth hitters with that trait.
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA's top 25 undrafted college seniors:

There’s some talent there. My intial favorites:
Luke Smith looks like he has some workable qualities. He’s clearly got some fire with his CWS “F U” to Vanderbilt. There’s not a lot of projectability, but he has three pitches and 14 starts for a strong program. It also wouldn’t be a Cubs draft if they didn’t bring in a Louisville pitcher.

Austin Smith is a DIII guy who barley pitched this year due to blisters. He’s younger (21) than most guys on the list.he has a decent low 90s FB, but needs a breaking ball. He’d be a good pitch lab guy

Bradlee Beesley is a CCBL performer (.948 OPS) who looks like he can play CF and has speed. May not be a power guy, but could be a valuable 5th OF.

There’s definitely some other intriguing relievers that need considerable work and I’m guessing they’ll look at bringing in a C or two. Kantrovitz was on Marquee’s podcast and talked about with hitters they have a philosophy of targeting guys that can control the strike zone. It’s a pretty common philosophy, but it’ll be interesting to see if they bring in any more depth hitters with that trait.

Chase Antle was getting some 5th round interest. Even if these guys are relievers-only in the pros, I'd love to get a few of the hard throwers.

Beesley's profile seems interesting and I have to admit McLain O’Connor seems like the gamer types who outplay their abilities and could end up being a major league utility guy.

The guys on that BA list who can hit upper 90s are:

Also Jonathan Hughes was a well-regarded prospect coming out of HS (2nd rounder in 2015) who was injured a lot but still has good stuff. Seems like the type of pitcher the Dodgers have success with.

Not sure if any juniors will sign for only $20k but there are a few I like who might because either they're old for their class or they are low on the defensive spectrum and know they'll get even less than other seniors next year.
2 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:42 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Fangraphs now has a blurb and ranking on Koen Moreno:

Ranked 233 (35+ FV)

TLDR
Four pitches are all about solid average, wokring 88-92 with projection, changeup is best secondary.

I really like this kid and think he's projectable and adds more velo in time. I think the pitch lab will really help him.

You know I really wanted Carter Baumler as our late round HS arm, but Baltimore took him and he's getting paid a nice overslot bonus... So Koen Moreno is a nice consolation pick.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:49 pm

I was talking to someone yesterday and joking around about how bad all the mock drafts were in regards to the Cubs.

Like, in 2018 I'm almost certain there wasn't a single mock draft that had the Cubs taking Nico Hoerner. And then last year, I don't think anyone had us taking Ryan Jensen...

I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any mock drafts that had us taking Ed Howard? He was in the mix, but never the pick for the Cubs in these mock drafts.

It almost seems more informative to see who the Cubs aren't taking in these mock drafts and just go on that lol.
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty angry at having a 5 round draft this year and I think it screws over a bunch of talented kids. Just stupid and short-sighted for MLB to do this...

I think 20-25 rounds is acceptable, but the main thing is not limiting teams to horsefeathering $20K. It was $125K last year for players after round 10/UDFAs and it should keep increasing every CBA to keep up with inflation.

The next CBA discussions are going to be super contentious and the draft will be impacted.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Is anyone else as excited about the Cubs draft as I am? I know nothing but it looks like they killed it from a tools perspective. I absolutely hate those high floor low ceiling type players.
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”