2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Hrubes20
Starter

Re: 2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Hrubes20 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Regular Show wrote:I was talking to someone yesterday and joking around about how bad all the mock drafts were in regards to the Cubs.

Like, in 2018 I'm almost certain there wasn't a single mock draft that had the Cubs taking Nico Hoerner. And then last year, I don't think anyone had us taking Ryan Jensen...

I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any mock drafts that had us taking Ed Howard? He was in the mix, but never the pick for the Cubs in these mock drafts.

It almost seems more informative to see who the Cubs aren't taking in these mock drafts and just go on that lol.

Someone did have us in on Nico, but I don’t recall ever seeing Jensen’s name connected to the Cubs predraft.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:28 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:I was talking to someone yesterday and joking around about how bad all the mock drafts were in regards to the Cubs.

Like, in 2018 I'm almost certain there wasn't a single mock draft that had the Cubs taking Nico Hoerner. And then last year, I don't think anyone had us taking Ryan Jensen...

I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any mock drafts that had us taking Ed Howard? He was in the mix, but never the pick for the Cubs in these mock drafts.

It almost seems more informative to see who the Cubs aren't taking in these mock drafts and just go on that lol.

Someone did have us in on Nico, but I don’t recall ever seeing Jensen’s name connected to the Cubs predraft.

I don't remember seeing any mock drafts that had us selecting Nico in 2018? That came as a complete shock to me and I was angry initially. Like I'm sure Red Sox fans felt the same way this year lol.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:56 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:

I don't remember seeing any mock drafts that had us selecting Nico in 2018? That came as a complete shock to me and I was angry initially. Like I'm sure Red Sox fans felt the same way this year lol.

It wasn’t the name that was mocked, but Nico was mentioned in the blurb after the mock pick. I remember thinking how boring that pick would be if it was him. I didn’t expect that pick either, but someone had made the connection leading up to the draft.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:56 pm

The few mocks that I occasionally checked in on initially had Ed Howard going ahead of us. I don't really think I anticipated Howard sliding to us.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:38 am

Hrubes20 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
Hrubes20 wrote:

It wasn’t the name that was mocked, but Nico was mentioned in the blurb after the mock pick. I remember thinking how boring that pick would be if it was him. I didn’t expect that pick either, but someone had made the connection leading up to the draft.

Yeah, this is how I remember it too. I remember thinking "I hope they mean for our 2nd pick"
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:27 am

Named After Maddux wrote:
There’s definitely some other intriguing relievers that need considerable work and I’m guessing they’ll look at bringing in a C or two. Kantrovitz was on Marquee’s podcast and talked about with hitters they have a philosophy of targeting guys that can control the strike zone...

Theo has talked about this for years and it's a huge principle for our young hitting prospects, and I know for a fact that he's been disappointed with our young core on this key aspect. We give away to many ABs and have poor approaches, but I also think umps do our young hitters no favors...

This is why I think an automated strike zone is so important. With an ABS system, a team of disciplined hitters can fully realize this philosophy of "controlling the strike zone" and force pitchers to throw strikes over the plate. Kyle Schwarber will be the greatest beneficiary of an automated strike zone on our team. KB and Rizzo would benefit from this too.

I get this philosophy, but I think it can only truly happen once you have a proper automated strike zone in place, IMO.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:51 am

My imaginary iunno...development tracks...for these draftees...:

Howard: 215 by 2022 (age 20), AA to MLs that same year

Carraway: instant ML, first offseason priority is developing a changeup, by 2022 is a 4 pitch reliver (kinda has a cutter), by 2024 is thinking about his career opportunities as a SP

Nwogu: 2022 debut, elite 4th OF backing up (and taking PAs from) all 3 starting OFs, shows starter potential, refines defensive game in the MLs, get's his shot in 2024 as a starting CF

Little: 5 year project as a SP, can fail or blow out anytime in between

Koen Moreno: Throw him into the hyperbolic time chamber built within the Pitching Lab using science, math, and technology until he is Shane Beiber
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Savermetrics
bench player

Postby Savermetrics » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:19 am

craig wrote:From different discussion board:
Lifted this from the Cubs Draft Tracker guy re. Koen Moreno, the HS 5th rounder.

Gave an interview with a local podcast guy.
Q: Do you have an idea if you're gonna if you're gonna pick between heading to college VCU and signing with the Cubs?
A: Yeah, so I mean, it's definitely you know, this draft is so different because, you know, they want kids to sign. So I believe that I am going to sign with the cubs. Um, so yeah

:hello:
1 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:35 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:35 am

You would be hard-pressed to find scouts who aren’t impressed by Howard’s defensive ability. Talent evaluators agreed that it’s hard to find a prep shortstop of this caliber at that point in the draft.

What makes Howard such a strong defender? Scouts point to his hands. Howard may not have elite range, but if he can get to the ball, he will make the play. In today’s game, with teams knowing how to position their defenders better than ever before, some believe he’ll grade out as an elite shortstop. The Cubs believe they selected the best defender in the draft.

I said that I doubt Howard reaches the level of Addison Russell or Javy Baez on defense, but I think he can be above-average at SS. Not elite, but very good and I believe that's how most scouts feel as well.

Howard won’t have the swing-and-miss concern as he’s viewed as a strong contact hitter. But the separator will be whether he can tap into his power. The Cubs don’t envision a dramatic swing change to get this done, but this is where the player development staff, like Valaika and new director of hitting Justin Stone, will be key.

“Their hitting coaches in the organization, I think they’re really good,” Howard said. “I think they can help me a lot. I feel like I can improve everywhere, all sides of the game. I think that organization is going to do a great job to help me get on the right path to play in the big leagues. I’m comfortable with them. I believe in them, I trust them and I feel like they trust in me. I think it’s a great fit and I’m just ready to get going.”

Same thing for me. I like the swing, but I wonder how much power he develops as he grows and gets stronger? 10-15 HRs is still great for a SS who plays good/great defense; if he gets stronger and starts hitting for power and gets to 25-30 HRs then he becomes one of the best shortstops in the game. Very exciting to have a prospect like this in the system again.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Savermetrics wrote:
craig wrote:From different discussion board:
Lifted this from the Cubs Draft Tracker guy re. Koen Moreno, the HS 5th rounder.

Gave an interview with a local podcast guy.
Q: Do you have an idea if you're gonna if you're gonna pick between heading to college VCU and signing with the Cubs?
A: Yeah, so I mean, it's definitely you know, this draft is so different because, you know, they want kids to sign. So I believe that I am going to sign with the cubs. Um, so yeah

:hello:

Hi there! Didn’t know you were around this message board too.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:53 pm

NDFA is going well.

BA has a tracker going:

0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Beesley to Cubs per the BA tracker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:46 pm

The Cubs have signed Bradley Beesley, BA’s 429th ranked prospect and their 6th best NDFA senior.

Bradlee Beesley Cal Poly OF

Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 180 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 22.3

Beesley started all four years at Cal Poly and hit well in the Cape Cod League two years in a row while swinging a wood bat. He’s an undersized contact hitter who sprays the ball around. Beesley lacks power and could walk more, but he knows his game and gets the bat to the ball. Beesley is a plus runner with an above-average arm and plays an average center field. He has the tools and mature instincts to play all three outfield positions.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm

The Padres signed a HS kid: Sam Ruta, SS, Pennsbury HS, Fairless Hills, PA

The Phillies just signed one too.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Second Cubs signing:

He’s ranked 438th overall in BA’s top 500 and their 10th best NDFA senior.

Scott McKeon (BA RANK: 438 ) Coastal Carolina SS

Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 185 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Tigers '19 (21)
Age At Draft: 22.6

McKeon began his career at Brunswick (N.C.) JC, where he led the team in hitting with a .434 average as a freshman before hitting .339 in his sophomore campaign. His hitting ability translated just fine to Coastal Carolina and the Sun Belt Conference, as McKeon managed a .344/.407/.500 line in 79 games over the 2019 and 2020 seasons. Teams were interested in McKeon last year—the Tigers drafted him in the 21st round—but he returned to school for his final season and would have been a priority senior sign in the 5-10 round range in a normal year. Scouts see McKeon as a solid defender at shortstop and think he can stick there but have questions about whether his bat and offensive approach will translate to the pro game.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:48 pm

3rd signing:

LHP Scott Kobos, Coastal Carolina

0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Cubs should be doing well in Puerto Rico seeing as they have one of the two best and most marketable Puerto Ricans in the game.

0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:38 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Cubs should be doing well in Puerto Rico seeing as they have one of the two best and most marketable Puerto Ricans in the game.

Seems like a great time to sign Javy to a big extension and then get him on the phone to all these guys. :D
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:41 pm

3rd signing from the state of South Carolina (Billy Swoope, the Cubs area scout for the Carolinas, is considered one of, if not their best):

1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:23 pm

Ben Leeper, RHP, Oklahoma State (sho looks like Justin Turner in his Orioles days). That’s 6 total signings:

0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:28 pm

As always, an invaluable link this time of year:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... /htmlview#
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Graham Lawson was an 12th round pick 2 years ago by the Nats.

McKeon was a 21st rounder last year.

Small sample size but Leeper struck out 14 in just 7 innings this spring.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Phillies just nabbed a local prep kid out of Ocean City NJ high school, Jake McKenna, BA's 434th ranked prospect in the Draft. He got the maximum $20k. Gonna be interesting to see how many high school seniors take a deal.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:26 pm

I kinda want a bunch of prospects to do this to stick it to MLB and the owners...
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”