2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Regular Show
All-Star

Re: 2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:54 pm

https://theathletic.com/1876278/2020/06 ... -the-cubs/

There is a really good article on The Athletic about Burl Carraway. The thing that actually stuck with me or stood out for me wasn't the stuff about Burl Carraway, but the quotes from our new scouting director Dan Kantrovitz.

“That’s something that I truly believe,” Carraway said. “It’s not just me trying to get into a better position in the draft. I truly think the way the game is going and the way my stuff will play at the next level and how ready I am to get to the next level, I just think that’s the truth. I wanted to impress upon teams that it’s not a risk taking a guy like me early on, it’s a good investment. I think I can be pitching for the Cubs really quickly. I’m super excited about it. I think the game is moving towards the way that my stuff plays. Even if it’s out of the ‘pen, I’ve thrown back-to-back days several times, I’ve thrown three times a week.”

“You know what?” Kantrovitz said. “I think he’s right. And I couldn’t have said it better myself.

“We did a study on his stuff and how it changed over time, what we saw was that it was more effective in some cases after he got up for the second inning. I don’t want to pigeonhole him and say that he’s only a one-inning guy. Because when you have electric stuff like that, you want to make sure you use it and leverage it.”

Kantrovitz added that no decisions on usage and timing have been made, but clearly they see a lot of value coming soon from Carraway.

I've really enjoyed listening to his interviews and reading what he has to say about draft prospects and their process preparing for the draft. I'm really glad we made the switch from Jason McLeod to Dan Kantrovitz. I feel way more confident in him leading the department going forward.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:21 am

BA's top 20 signed NDFAs: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -signings/

13. Bradlee Beesley, OF, Cubs
BA 500 rank: 429
The speedy outfielder started all four years at Cal Poly and hit two years in a row on the Cape.

15. Scott McKeon, SS, Cubs
BA 500 rank: 438
The solid defensive shortstop hit .344/.407/.500 over two seasons at Coastal Carolina.

The Royals had the most with 5 in the top 20 including #1.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:41 pm

I like the pick for slot value if that ends up being the case. I wonder what Moreno’s number is. He made comments that he is planning to sign so I imagine the Cubs are confident they have everyone’s number somewhat locked in.
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:https://twitter.com/itsthebigs/status/1274583832629477376?s=21

I like the pick for slot value if that ends up being the case. I wonder what Moreno’s number is. He made comments that he is planning to sign so I imagine the Cubs are confident they have everyone’s number somewhat locked in.

Confirmation from one of the local guys & MLB Pipeline:

I thought Howard might get as much as $4 million so this makes the accounting easier for the rest of the picks. I assume Moreno will definitely go over slot, possibly Little ever so slightly. If the first 4 picks are all at slot, they would have the full 5% overage for Moreno ($336k more).
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:42 am

4) Matt Mervis, 1B, Duke (Cubs)
With a clean swing, bat speed and left-handed power potential, Mervis would have been a priority senior sign in a normal Draft. He batted .304/.458/.589 in his final season at Duke while also showing a low-90s fastball and an effective slider as a righty reliever.

10) Bradlee Beesley, OF, Cal Poly (Cubs)
Beesley never put up big numbers at Cal Poly, where he hit .286/.352/.380 as a four-year starter, but he did acquit himself well in two summers in the Cape Cod League. He's a contact hitter with plus speed who's capable of playing all three outfield positions.
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:41 pm

It’s official:
1 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Ben Hernandez signed for pick 51 slot value. There’s a lot of factors involved in that, but I wonder if 51 was Hernandez’s relative floor provided someone like Jared Jones wasn’t available.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Maybe a hot take but I don't think the Cubs had any meaningful interest in Hernandez with their first two picks...Most similar prospects to him they've drafted are a couple 6th round fallers in Cease and Estrada, so maybe 3-5 in this draft? Not that Hernandez or Jones are bad prospects, Carraways are a little harder to find
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 am

Old tweets here, but they contain some fun clips:

Lol
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:25 pm

It appears that 5th rounder Koen Moreno signed on Tuesday.

koen5

Dream come true. Thank you @cubs for this opportunity and thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. Let’s get to work!#GoCubs
6h
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:48 pm

2 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Moreno signed for $532,100 over slot and Carraway signed for $386,900 under. With the overage, they have up to $869,455 to sign Nwogu (his slot is $678,600).
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:17 pm

The Cubs also signed another NDFA:

0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Interesting that Moreno went that far over; and Burl that far under. By my numbers, *if* they wanted to, they could still go almost $200K over on Nwogu. Not sure there should be any need to do that, but my math, *if* he signs for straight slot, they'll be somewhat below their overage max.

I hadn't anticipated that Moreno would draw that much, he's only a little behind Burl.

I'm hoping he works out well. It's seemed the cubs haven't really hit on their previous around-a-million-or-more HS superslot pitchers: Cease got them a sliver of mediocre Quintana, so I guess that's the biggest success. But other than Cease, Sands was nothing, Steele is a wildman (although he may still have a chance), Hudson didn't work, and Estrada hasn't looked like a win (although he's still got time.) . Hopefully they're due for one of those to work out. (Franklin didn't get paid as much, but early returns are favorable for him...) .
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:07 pm

Cal, the first reports on undrafted guys had us signing a teenage Puerto Rican pitcher who'd supposedly touched 94. But I'm not sure I've subsequently seen him included in listings of Cubs NDFA. Any info on that? Are we sure that the Cubs actually did sign him, or is that maybe not so clear? Or perhaps they agreed, but he's still home in Puerto Rico, so they need to do physical before there will actually be a formal, listable signing?

Perhaps the Puerto Rican pitcher and the JC hitter might never get to be as good as the senior signs, but I'm kind of more interested in those two teenagers, because they have more time to develop and will perhaps end up actually being major-league prospects, rather than just organizational roster-fillers. So I hope they really do have that guy.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:20 pm

craig wrote:Cal, the first reports on undrafted guys had us signing a teenage Puerto Rican pitcher who'd supposedly touched 94. But I'm not sure I've subsequently seen him included in listings of Cubs NDFA. Any info on that? Are we sure that the Cubs actually did sign him, or is that maybe not so clear? Or perhaps they agreed, but he's still home in Puerto Rico, so they need to do physical before there will actually be a formal, listable signing?

Perhaps the Puerto Rican pitcher and the JC hitter might never get to be as good as the senior signs, but I'm kind of more interested in those two teenagers, because they have more time to develop and will perhaps end up actually being major-league prospects, rather than just organizational roster-fillers. So I hope they really do have that guy.

He says he signed.
1 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks, Tim. That's good.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Callis mentioned Little as a guy other teams could target in a trade immediately
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:06 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Callis mentioned Little as a guy other teams could target in a trade immediately

Did he say this on the MLB Pipeline podcast? Would Luke Little be eligible to be traded? I thought they moved the eligibility date to the day after the World Series ended for recent draft picks. That’s interesting.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:31 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Callis mentioned Little as a guy other teams could target in a trade immediately

Did he say this on the MLB Pipeline podcast? Would Luke Little be eligible to be traded? I thought they moved the eligibility date to the day after the World Series ended for recent draft picks. That’s interesting.

Podcast or maybe just a hot take pick analysis, can't remember. I thought it was interesting Callis would speculate trade talk at all, especially with a giant hard throwing lefty with some national buzz, trouble throwing strikes, and mediocre secondaries that may or may not have potential within the Cubs org
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 am

That seems like an odd input by Callis. Little is obviously a development/make-over project. Doesn't exactly profile as what I'd caricature as a trade-oriented prospect, or as a ready-to-help-soon guy. Any talented prospect with developmental potential obviously has potential trade value, but I don't really see why that would be any more true or worth mentioning for Little than for any other raw prospect.

Hopefully he'll thrive in the Cubs developmental process and perform at a level that makes other teams want him.

I'm actually curious what developmental plan the cubs will have for him. Obviously the natural media input for any guy who throws hard, but doesn't have present control of an arsenal, is to say "relief". And that seems like an obvious thing for Little. (If you get an effective relief pitcher out of a 4th round pick, that's a win to get ANYTHING productive.) . But I do wonder whether that's necessarily what the Cubs will COMMIT to initially?

I wonder if they'll track him for rotation for at least his first season or two? And if he can hold his velocity, improve his slider, and have some kind of not-necessarily-bad changeup, whether they might not give him the opportunity to develop as a starter for at least a while? Odds are pretty remote, I realize; But sometimes teams who end up having success have some unlikely prospects work out in unexpectedly good ways. And we will need rotations pitchers, hopefully without having to average $18M per starter.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:27 am

There's a pretty universal appeal to a giant healthy LHP with Little's arm strength, probably only a handful lefties in pro ball throw as hard
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:06 am

Them why did they just recently pass on him for 3 or 4 rounds?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 pm

What a great gd draft
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:53 pm

“They talked about that a little bit in that Zoom call,” Carraway said. “It was really cool that they were honest about that — and the fact that they were excited that this was going to be the group that (could) turn it around. I’m excited to be a part of the change. We’re going to be really good pitchers. We’re going to develop really well in their system. I talked with them a lot — even leading up to the draft — and it seems like they really know what they’re doing. I trust them fully. And I think we’re going to get this thing going pretty good here.”

Carraway, who has never been to Wrigley Field, began to understand the big-market experience from the moment the Cubs made him the No. 51 pick on June 11. Fans love prospects, but Cubs fans have a particular interest in the draft and the farm system, and it immediately showed up on Twitter and Instagram.

“My phone just started blowing up,” Carraway said. “It was just really cool. For the most part, when you get that kind of publicity, sometimes it can be pretty negative. But I’ve been pretty overwhelmed — the majority of things that I see are very positive. I know that it’s a great fan base to play for. I can’t wait to hopefully get to Chicago here pretty soon.

Another good article about Burl Carraway. He'll definitely be a part of the 60-man taxi squad.
2 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”