2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
craig
All-Star

Re: 2020 MLB Actual Draft Day(s) Thread

Postby craig » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks for Burl, stuff. That guy is a very good interview, very well spoken. Hope he's able to throw enough strikes to be effective in actual pro games and eventually big-league games.

But if he's as poised in games and controlled with his pitches as he is poised and controlled in his interviews, he's got a chance to be a big-stage pitcher.
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:33 pm

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2020/06/25/ ... t-6-25-20/

From the latest Klaw chat:

Jon: I read that Ed Howard was a possible Top 5 pick but for the HS season being entirely halted and therefore nobody seeing him play this year and a result was a lot of college prospects instead. Any truth to that or just Cubs homer-talk? What’s his ceiling?

Keith Law: Extreme homer talk. Arrant nonsense.

Dave C: When’s the last time u were as surprised during the draft as the Sox taking Nick York’s this year?

Keith Law: Hayden Simpson.

Joe: Any undrafted signings stand out to you as maybe being more than just filler?

Keith Law: Not really. $20K doesn’t get you a definite prospect. There were some good senior signs, though – Landon Knack (Dodgers, second round) stood out as one.
Last edited by Regular Show on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 pm

I noticed JT Ginn got nearly $3 million from the Mets (same for Kelley with the WS) as a second rounder. Those two ending up on rivals in the second round are the only thing about this year's draft that went "wrong" for the Cubs

The post-draft Mets farm is one of the more exciting in the sport, a bunch of high ceiling 20 and unders at the top...Ronny Mauricio, Pete Crow-Armstrong, Baty, Ginn, Mark Vientos, Francisco Alvarez, Isaiah Greene...

The Mets made the same mistake the Cubs did to lose the public, spent money with the $/WAR being nein effizient! Because of that I've developed a soft spot for them lately that could easily be gone from actually talking to a Mets fan but otherwise will stay until they all hit or miss...All I can ask is that Mauricio become a superstar and the Cubs eventually sign him as a FA
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2020/06/30/ ... ew-slider/

Carraway makes another interview, interesting that he is the draftee making the media rounds..stating the obvious but I think the Cubs have extremely high hopes and alot of confidence in this guy...I like that he started his college career as a two way guy playing CF...

"Mr. Kershaw" btw...born 1988 lol
2 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Thanks, Tom, that was a really good interview. More technical. Obviously a well-spoken guy who's conversant with pitch-lab and analytics concepts, and is happy to benefit from insights. Think that might be a great fit.

I was particularly encouraged by his interest in developing a slider, as a pitch with more side-to-side movement and a pitch that's easier to throw for strikes than the big curveball.

Having good spin and a big curveball is good; but the big curveball is probably the hardest pitch in baseball to throw for strikes. Living as a two-pitch fastball-curve guy may work great on days the curve is clicking.

But I think a lot of days big-league hitters will spit on the curve, sit on the fastball, and you'll be walking guys, pitching from behind, and the only strike you can throw is fastball to guys sitting fastball. Who needs a garbage-can to sit fastball on days when a fastball-curve pitcher can't throw his curve for a strike?

So *IF* Burl could hypothetically come up with something else he can get over, whether that be slider or cutter or whatever, it could help him a ton. Glad he realizes that and is looking towards figuring out something else that could work for him.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:57 am

Not surprised by how much Austin Martin got and he might end up being the best player from this draft when we look back on it. I'm very surprised by how much Nick Yorke got as an unusual 1st-rounder... I was thinking maybe $2 mil or less as his signing bonus. I think Boston could've spent the savings on a better prospect in the 3rd round.

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:07 am

So, we know what is going on with Miami and their draft picks. It's not a bad idea actually since there is no minor league season this year anyway. I believe I read Carter Baumler is getting $1.5 mil from Baltimore so that leaves only Nwogu left. Not sure what is going on with that negotiation or what the holdup is...

I'm not too concerned or anything, but something feels off.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:59 pm

They could’ve given Nwogu $190,880 more before hitting their 5% overage.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:27 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jimcallismlb/status/1285710111533600769?s=21

They could’ve given Nwogu $190,880 more before hitting their 5% overage.

I wonder if that was part of the delay compared to the other picks. At some point there was just too much money on the table for a deal to not happen (outside of serious medical issues).

Also I noticed the Cubs have signed 11 NDFAs for (likely) a total of $220k and they “saved” just under that amount from what they could have spent under the 5% overage limit in the draft. Hopefully not related.
1 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:28 pm

NO idea why Nwogu took that long for an ordinary slot-agreement pick. My guess is that it was just something procedural, travel related, getting the physical, something like that. Michigan had pretty tight Covid travel restrictions, I think. And Arizona has been pretty hot for a while. With no minor-league camp anyway for Nwogu, probably no hurry to get the actual physical passed and the contract signed.

The more unfavorable paranoid possibility is that there were some red flags in his physical.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:40 pm

O's gave their 4th round pick, HS RHP Carter Baumler, $1.5 million. Only mentioning it because he might turn into something good:

I really like their draft, Baumler and Mayo are some really high upside HSers and they made good choices with the college bats
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:27 pm

0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”