2021 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

2021 Draft Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Here is BA's Way Too Early Top 10: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -10-picks/

1. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vanderbilt
2. Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt (draft-eligible sophomore)
3. Brady House, SS, Winder-Barrow HS (GA)
4. Adrian del Castillo, C, Miami
5. Matt McLain, SS, UCLA
6. Jud Fabian, OF, Florida
7. Jaden Hill, RHP, LSU
8. Colton Cowser, OF, Sam Houston State
9. Luke Leto, SS/RHP, Portage Central HS (MI)
10. Braylon Bishop, OF, Arkansas HS (AR)

ESPN (Kiley McDaniel) has a ranking of 30. Here are all of Kiley's 45 FV prospects:

1. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vanderbilt, 50 FV
2. Brady House, 3B, Winder-Barrow HS (GA), Tennessee commit, 45+ FV
3. Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt, 45+ FV
4. Jud Fabian, CF, Florida, 45 FV
5. Matt McLain, 2B, UCLA, 45 FV
6. Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit HS (TX), Vanderbilt commit, 45 FV
7. Jaden Hill, RHP, LSU, 45 FV
8. Ethan Wilson, LF, South Alabama, 45 FV
9. Luke Leto, SS, Portage Central HS (MI), LSU commit, 45 FV
10. Alex Binelas, 3B, Louisville, 45 FV
11. Davis Sharpe, RHP, Clemson, 45 FV

Fangraphs has ranked 111 prospects on their 2021 board plus have a bunch more prospects of interest: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the ... 00000&pg=0

Their top 17 all have 40+ FV:

1. Jack Leiter, RHP, Vanderbilt - 50 FV
2. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vanderbilt - 50
3. Luke Leto, SS, Portage Central HS (MI) - 45
4. Braylon Bishop, CF, Texarkana HS (AR) - 45
5. Brady House, 3B/RHP, Winder-Barrow HS (GA) - 45
6. Robby Martin, RF, Florida State - 40+
7. Jaden Hill, RHP, LSU - 40+
8. Alex Binelas, 3B, Louisville - 40+
9. Matt McLain, 2B, UCLA - 40+
10. Jud Fabian, CF, Florida - 40+
11, Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit Prep HS (TX) - 40+
12. Izaac Pacheco, 3B, Friendswood HS (TX) - 40+
13. Christian Little, RHP, Christian Brothers HS (MO) - 40+
14. Davis Sharpe, RHP, Clemson - 40+
15. Jonathan Cannon, RHP, Georgia - 40+
16. Gunnar Hoglund, RHP, Ole Miss - 40+
17. Adrian del Castillo, C, Miami - 40+
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2021 Draft Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm already looking at four players: Ole Miss RHSP Gunnar Hoglund, OF Braylon Bishop, and HS RHs Irv Carter and Christian Little

Hoglund was a popular but unsigned prep arm in 2018, multi-pitch RH up to 96, throws everything for strikes but no pitch is really ahead of the others except maybe the fastball right now, dominated this Spring, 21 on draft day, outstanding frame at a projectable 6'4"-6'5" and already has some meat on him

Bishop is a LHH HS CF out of Arkansas with a projectable build a lot like Pete Crow-Armstrong's this year, 18 and change on draft day, strong and room to get stronger, fast, also hopes to play football in college (Arkansas), LH thrower, drew Ken Griffey comps at PG's MLK tournament in 2019, considered a top 10 prep, likely to be the guy I blather on about in this thread

Carter is a 6'3" 200 HS RH who will be 19 on draft day, two team Team USA participant, really athletic on the mound and will do things like quick pitch and double pumps to mess with timing, very fast arm, throws strikes with fastball/slider, changeup could be an outpitch

Christian Little is a 6'4" 200 RH out of St. Louis, Vandy recruit, up to 94 with a promising curve and changeup, interesting delivery that could be fun as he gets stronger

From a BA piece on Bishop last summer:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ournament/

The twitchy athleticism is easy to see when Bishop is on the field. Multiple comparisons to Ken Griffey Jr. were being tossed around by observers, and while it’s unfair to put that kind of label on a 15-year-old kid, Bishop has a lot of the same qualities as Griffey, according to Chase Brewster, Director of Player Exposure and Coach for the Sticks Baseball Academy.

“(He’s) one of the best players we’ve ever seen,” Brewster said. “By all accounts he’s the best player a lot of people have seen at that age . . . the power, the hand strength and the quickness are just incredible.”

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Bishop has a strong, muscular body with broad shoulders that wouldn’t be out of place on the gridiron, thus it’s no surprise that Bishop is already the starting quarterback for his high school football team. But if there’s ever a decision as to which sport he’ll choose, Bishop knows what direction his sports career will take, stating, “I’ve got a love for baseball more.”

Obviously I would sell my loyal cat's soul for a fully healthy Kumar Rocker to be drafted by the Cubs
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:13 pm

Also, I updated the original post with Kiley McDaniel's top rankings too.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-2021-mlb-draft-prospects

As big time as I think Rocker is, Leiter has better command of more pitches and both Jud Fabian and Matt McClain are pretty serious. I'm just glad Rocker didn't have to pitch so much this year and will continue to ask Gaia herself to intervene and manufacture a fall to the Cubs preferably without a TJ

Alot of that list are LHHs, at least 8...4 black players within the first ten on that list (Rocker, Little, Bishop, and Reed)

Also also it's PG Nationals week or something, HS showcase event
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:05 pm

I don't think the 2021 draft class is as talented as this year's draft class. It's better than the 2019 draft class (I think), but it doesn't have a transcendent talent at the very top like Adley Rutschman, or even someone like Spencer Torkelson or Austin Martin. Scouts don't have a great feel for this year's group so it's hard to say...

No Cape Cod League this summer, very limited spring ball and maybe some extended looks in the fall or later this summer.

At this same point last year, Emerson Hancock was considered the consensus best talent in the 2020 draft class and he obviously didn't go 1-1. I think the same thing happens to Kumar Rocker next year, but I could be wrong.

Definitely some players I like and I've mentioned some already... I don't like SS/3B Brady House.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:34 pm

2021's premier projectable HS LH
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:51 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:23 am

Oh and this guy:.

My imaginary track for him with the Cubs is the heir apparent to Rizzo but spends his early years as a 3B/LF/RF/SS? bat until Rizzo's glorious exit in Cleopatra 2025...At that point he is basically Rizzo all over again in a lineup anchored by still Bryant...Top player in Texas and one of the earlier players to emerge
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:09 pm

0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:20 pm

I have big hopes for UVA's 2021 season, and UVA draft potential for 2021 ... but I have my doubts as well. Vasil and McGarry both have big time stuff, but the consistency and command has never been there. McGarry's mechanics can be a mess at times and helped contribute to his problems, and you just sort of feel that if he can get that ironed out, he can take off. I don't have a great feel on Vasil, whose fastball backslid his first year, but was supposedly back last year. If the fastball's back, this was a kid that might've been a first rounder out of HS had he shown a desire to go pro (I believe he had a statement that was something like baseball isn't forever, so I bet that will be hammered repeatedly ... could be thinking of someone else).

Truth be told, beyond those two and Abbott, the guy I really have hopes for, that's draft eligible, is Gelof. He started showing more power last year, and if that continues, that's an enticing bat. I mean, Pavin Smith went 7th (on a tangent, very curious how he does this year, had a monster 2nd half, and if he bounces back, gonna be intriguing despite them adding Seth Beer (of course, if universal DH comes in, Beer goes there), and while Gelof doesn't have that level of discipline/approach, I don't know if the power potential is that far off. Of course, what position he plays in the pros is a question. Nic Kent feels like there's some more pop in there, enough to make him intriguing, but he's probably more in that Andy Weber mold (former UVA, current Cub farmhand at last check).
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:23 pm

^^ Toonster, think Abbott will get to start next year?

-----

Nonsense on the Prospects Live top 50...This class is basically unsigned HSers from 2018, a top heavy 2021 HS group, and whatever guys are sophomore eligible or with a JC...That doesn't help:

- JP Massey at Minnesota is out of Chicago, 6'5" with feel for three secondaries and his up to 95 four seam, made big gains from freshman to Sophomore year, Cubs signed a sleeper from the same program...Projectable college arm which seems to be a theme in this draft

- Painter and Carter are two really good HS RHs, should maybe closer to Little in the early rankings. Little's got some HS Tyler Beede to him but younger and more four seam...Painter and Carter both seem more athletic on the mound

- Looks like Steve Hajjar was a breakout candidate this Spring...He was one of my handful favorite 2018 HS arms, redshirted last year, got Torkelson out twice this Spring with some fancy stuff, up to 94 with multiple offspeeds, really tough look at 6'6" 215...Now that I know he is alive and well in this draft the hype will be Kellogg-esque only the velocity bump dream will be more mid-upper 90s instead of anything 90+...All I'd ask out of him is 2020s and 2030s Andy Pettitte

- Jaden Hill slider is the nastiest

- One guy missing on that list is Miss St. LHSP Christian MacLeod, basically Jared Shuster but bigger (6'4" 225) with better stuff

- I think you can make a case Luke Leto is the best prospect in this draft at this stage?

- McClain and the Miami catcher outhit all the 19 YOs on the Cape last year, McClain was better, Fabian was a beast at 18

----

With no CCBL this list of 2020 All-Americans might be useful to peruse through: http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-base ... ericans-2/
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:17 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:05 am

This is Luke Leto, who could be a star bat at 3B or 2B if he outgrows SS. As a big first round LHH SS Seager comps will be rampant but even if you think he moves off SS the frame can allow for crazy comps for horsefeathers and giggles: Josh Donaldson, Larry Walker, jumbo Cano, IF Jareld Kelenic, IF Brian Giles...I think he's a better prospect than Veen last year and would fit in well with guys like Howard, Crow-Armstrong, and Walker as relatively polished HS players with long records and tools....Pacheco's alot like Walker as a potential 5 tool giant, but Walker's probably the better defender... In general the top LHH HS prospects for 2021 like Pacheco, Bishop, Leto, Bowser, Reed, and Montgomery - could be on par with or better than Veen, Hassell, PCA, Hassell from this year individually

JMO but there's going to be a really good feel for who the top HSers are by November or so and things might not change so dramatically after. What is going to blow things up is the college ranks...Even that should end up not being so nuts with 20 rounds instead of 5
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Braden Montgomery is a switch hitter with a Stanford commit:

Mark McGwire's son:

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:33 am

1. Chase Burns, RHP, Station Camp (Tenn.)
The consensus standout among scouts at this year’s PG National Showcase, Burns, a University of Tennessee commit, looked the part of a future early first-round pick on Saturday when he ran his fastball up to 99 mph, recording the event's top velocity. His heater hovered around 95-97-mph in the outing, and the 6-foot-4, 215-pound righty impressed evaluators by flashing plus with both his slider and changeup, while also mixing in a quality curveball.

Chase Burns made a big impression at this event. I didn't know much about him before and I'm pretty sure most scouts weren't super familiar with him either. They've definitely taken notice after that performance. There will be another big PG event later this summer.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:32 am

Smacked the crap out of this:

Smacked the crap out of this:

---

Hot takes off that event:

- Leto, Pacheco, Benny Montgomery, Braden Montgomery, and Marcus Franco are all probably 6'3"+ 200+ or can get away with saying it...This group are all more uncommon profiles too: Leto and Pacheco will likely get drafted as LHH SSs, Franco could be the rare possibly draftable R/R HS 1B, Braden Montgomery is a switch hitting corner and hits 93 with a curve as a pitcher, and Benny Montgomery's maybe got the best combo of measurables in the HS class (103 EV, 6'4" 200+, jumps high, runs fast, throws hard)

- Even guys like Bishop, Davis, Mayer, another (Carson) Montgomery, Moller, Carrier, Cowser...all are going to be 6'2"-6'3"+...These are just the HS hitters...They're catching up to their college peers who were catching up to their MiL peers and I wouldn't be suprirsed if the owners push for an age limit in the draft that sends everyone to college anyway because data certainty yada yada

- Daylen Lile is alot like Pinango but maybe more of a shot at CF? High contact, maybenotreally 6' LHH with some underlying power in there plus some speed and defense

- Petty is pretty excellent, along with Irving Carter probably my favorite of the HS RHs...Kids out there might describe those two as having moxie, chutzpah, or even pizzazz...I do prefer Carter tho

- Andrew Painter is weird because it's hard to get me on the wagon of a 6'7" HS pitcher so early, but he does SP things and is more filled out than say Kloffenstein with the Blue Jays was a couple years ago...If things go great into next Spring, he's Matt Manning or Forrest Whitley tho so...

- The 2021 Spring version of Christian Little could be alot like Nick Bitsko without having to reclassify...Young for the class, pro size, four pitches, should be throwing plenty hard...
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Looks like the Northwoods League, a newer college summer league, is playing this year. Maybe trying to take advantage of no CCBL and gain some rep...IIRC Northwoods started in the 2000s maybe even last decade, and obviously doesn't have the reputation of the CCBL

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... d=78f2935d
0 x

ddwyer
Role Player

Postby ddwyer » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:54 pm

FYI - the Northwoods League actually started in 1994 so it has been around for quite some time. I remember watching Scherzer pitch in the league and thinking that he looks MUCH better than the other pitchers.
3 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:58 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 pm

Nice, was extremely high on Tiedemann during this draft, should be a first round guy this time barring injury. There's SP tools galore as today's outspoken youths might say, easily one of the better pitcher frames in this draft. He actually doesn't turn 19 until well after the draft next year, making him as old as many HS prospects. I even think the name has a SP-y or at least baseball-y ring to it

It also sure would be nice to add a LHSP prospect that I am on the wagon for, his rise and personal hopefully also team success would make a terrific redemption arc for myself after Kellogg...I could see Ryan Reynolds, just kidding hire American, playing me and typing out that Ryan Kellogg is basically Andy Pettitte or whatever and then losing all credibilities. He's basically a broken man, kinda like myself, but then this kid Tiedemann shows up out of the horsefeathersing blue and boy howdy (catchphrase) do things start to change

No doubt interestingly enough - probably behind the Miss St SP MacLeod for me among lefties so far

---

Here's a few interesting HS RHs...My guess from the last name, Wentworth, the third pitcher was possibly raised by a British butler:

Carter Daniels

Kenya Huggins Jr.

Luke Holman

Jackson Wentworth

and a new favorite HS LH, Travis Garnett:

[
BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVEgWK0nGU[/BBvideo]
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:27 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:29 pm

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:53 am

Last edited by Regular Show on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 am

Ph, that's a good one. Wood is 6'6" 230 and considered a good defensive OF, plays CF, according to BA':

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ssion=true

Wood was the biggest standout at the UBC, thanks in part to a massive, 6-foot-6, 230-pound frame that screams pro player. Despite that size, he moves around well at the moment and looked pretty good patrolling center field with a strong arm that could fit in right field in the future.

Wood has power now and plenty of more power projection in the future thanks to his massive frame. But scouts love the ease of his swing and saw a better approach this week than they did at Perfect Game National. There are still some strikeouts in his game, but most evaluators believe he’s going to do enough damage on contact that they won’t be a deal breaker.

Add good instincts on the bases and in the outfield and there’s a lot to like with Wood, who will be seen plenty at IMG Academy for his high school season and has become a high-priority player for Southeast scouts.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:32 am

0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”