2016 Cubs Picks Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
davell
Hall of Fame

Re: Cubs Picks Thread

Postby davell » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Mekkes said the Cubs told him they'd take seniors in 8 and 9 to be able to pay him in 10. So, while Ridings isn't a senior, I'll figure they get Mekkes in the fold. Doubt they've got the ability to do much(if any) over slotting after the 10th. But I guess if we do or somehow convince a guy to take less, these are the guys to watch......

LHP Dante Biassi-22 round Just had TJS, figure we've got a decent shot with him
SS Delvin Zinn-23 round We took him last year and he seems happy retweeting congrats, so I guess we've got a chance here too.
1B Rey Rivera 24 round No idea at all on him.
RHP Brenden Heiss 31 round Lifelong Cubs fan, has said we've offered less than his number so far. But seems like he's open.
RHP Davis Daniel 34 round Extremely unlikely, basically no shot
3B Ryan Kreidler 35 round No idea, seemed open prior to draft. But I'd say he'll definitely want decent overage

BA Rankings

Zinn-233
Rivera-270
Heiss-408
Daniel-109
Kreidler-315

Biassi isn't ranked but was expected to be a top 10 round pick before TJS.

Guys ranked I figure we'll get are Rucker(251) and Cobb(335). Rucker is a college senior and Cobb is a junior.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:16 pm

0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Daniel has a blown out shoulder according to AZPhil, so there might be a shot at him. I'd give Kriedler no shot.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:24 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Daniel has a blown out shoulder according to AZPhil, so there might be a shot at him. I'd give Kriedler no shot.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/k ... or-bruins/

Yea, it'll take some cash.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:19 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Daniel has a blown out shoulder according to AZPhil, so there might be a shot at him. I'd give Kriedler no shot.

Do you mean the 40th rounder, Roberts? I haven't seen anything on Daniel with a bad shoulder. Roberts said he's going to college, after being drafted though anyway.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:07 pm

I've updated the second post in this thread with all Cubs picks. I also included MLB.com scouting reports (which are free), BA's ranking for prospects in their top 500 and college commitments for junior college and high school picks.

As players sign, I'll include their bonuses and also include the BA ($$) scouting reports.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:42 pm

davell wrote:

Do you mean the 40th rounder, Roberts? I haven't seen anything on Daniel with a bad shoulder. Roberts said he's going to college, after being drafted though anyway.

Yeah, I was thinking of Roberts
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:46 am

Cruz signs for 75,000. Saves 111,000 off of slot.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:16 am

davell wrote:Mekkes said the Cubs told him they'd take seniors in 8 and 9 to be able to pay him in 10. So, while Ridings isn't a senior, I'll figure they get Mekkes in the fold. Doubt they've got the ability to do much(if any) over slotting after the 10th. But I guess if we do or somehow convince a guy to take less, these are the guys to watch......

LHP Dante Biassi-22 round Just had TJS, figure we've got a decent shot with him
SS Delvin Zinn-23 round We took him last year and he seems happy retweeting congrats, so I guess we've got a chance here too.
1B Rey Rivera 24 round No idea at all on him.
RHP Brenden Heiss 31 round Lifelong Cubs fan, has said we've offered less than his number so far. But seems like he's open.
RHP Davis Daniel 34 round Extremely unlikely, basically no shot
3B Ryan Kreidler 35 round No idea, seemed open prior to draft. But I'd say he'll definitely want decent overage

BA Rankings

Zinn-233
Rivera-270
Heiss-408
Daniel-109
Kreidler-315

Biassi isn't ranked but was expected to be a top 10 round pick before TJS.

Guys ranked I figure we'll get are Rucker(251) and Cobb(335). Rucker is a college senior and Cobb is a junior.

Thanks, Dave, very helpful post. I've kind of been wondering where the overage and where the under slot savings are going to go, with Cruz coming in cheap, both 8 and 9 likely to be very cheap, and even with our small pool there is still some overage available. So, where's it going to go?

Maybe they like Mekkes quite a bit, and he's going to gobble it all?

Maybe one or more of your names from rounds 20-40? Helpful to think about who might be targeted, at any rate.

Maybe it will all go to Mekkes and Hatch, both being sophomores. I wonder, though; Hatch will be 22-going-on-23 next draft. Does he really want to come back to next draft as an approaching-23-years-old guy? Might be better off to take his slot now, and get his career moving, I'd think.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:39 am

davell wrote:SS Delvin Zinn-23 round We took him last year and he seems happy retweeting congrats, so I guess we've got a chance here too.

I got good news and bad news. The good news is Zinn seems to be a good philosophical fit for the Cubs Way. On June 5th he tweeted...
DZ ‏@delvinzinn3 Jun 5
Trust the process

Maddon would be proud. But, as to the likelihood of him signing with the Cubs, he tweeted this two days later (and just two days before the draft)...
DZ ‏@delvinzinn3 Jun 7
Never settle for less than you deserve

Hope the Cubs can get him.
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:33 pm

craig wrote:
Thanks, Dave, very helpful post. I've kind of been wondering where the overage and where the under slot savings are going to go, with Cruz coming in cheap, both 8 and 9 likely to be very cheap, and even with our small pool there is still some overage available. So, where's it going to go?

Maybe one or more of your names from rounds 20-40? Helpful to think about who might be targeted, at any rate.

Maybe it will all go to Mekkes and Hatch, both being sophomores. I wonder, though; Hatch will be 22-going-on-23 next draft. Does he really want to come back to next draft as an approaching-23-years-old guy? Might be better off to take his slot now, and get his career moving, I'd think.

Another HS we appear to have a chance on is 33rd rounder Nate Sweeney, who was offered flat $100k to sign. Per his interview, he's not terribly interested in the school aspect of college and is considering signing since the Cubs have an excellent development staff. High 80s to Low 90s FB, projectable

http://coloradosportsnetwork.com/when-the-show-comes-callin-six-colorado-seniors-picked-in-2016-mlb-draft/
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:
craig wrote:

Another HS we appear to have a chance on is 33rd rounder Nate Sweeney, who was offered flat $100k to sign. Per his interview, he's not terribly interested in the school aspect of college and is considering signing since the Cubs have an excellent development staff. High 80s to Low 90s FB, projectable

http://coloradosportsnetwork.com/when-the-show-comes-callin-six-colorado-seniors-picked-in-2016-mlb-draft/

Yeah, apparently has dealt with dyslexia his entire life. I have a good friend who also deals with it. I can understand why taking classes might not be his favorite thing. It's not like he lacks intelligent. It's just reading and writing is difficult and time consuming. He sure loves baseball. Maybe there's a shot.
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 pm

CubsWin wrote:
Named After Maddux wrote:
craig wrote:

Yeah, apparently has dealt with dyslexia his entire life. I have a good friend who also deals with it. I can understand why taking classes might not be his favorite thing. It's not like he lacks intelligent. It's just reading and writing is difficult and time consuming. He sure loves baseball. Maybe there's a shot.

BTW, I'd imagine this is a reason why the Cubs took him. With the bonus system, knowing a kid's financial situation and other reasons why they might sign for slot (in rounds 11-40) or under (in slots 1-10) is imperative. I'm still amazed they were able to get 7th rounder C Michael Cruz to sign for $75,000. Not only did he have a good year with the bat (.325/.461/.605 with six doubles, a triple, 16 home runs, 38 walks with 25 strikeouts in 200 at bats) but he's still just 20 years old.

The emphasis on mental make-up, work ethic and general background check info is taking on a greater importance these days, and it's not lost on this front office.
1 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:43 pm

11th rounder Michael Rucker said they are paying him >$100K, so he's one of the overslots.

Not surprising, really that 11th rounder would overslot. As Round 2 winds down and then between day 2 and 3, you talk to guys you like to see who'll sign for what you can/want-to pay. If you reach a mutual agreement on an overslot guy, you want to draft him ASAP before somebody else does, rather than wait till round 30 or whatever. So rounds 11-12-13 are the most likely overslot rounds on Day 3.

Rucker said he's got an agreement, short of some details.
Mekkes said he's got an agreement, too, short of some details.

So, two overslots agreed, will be interesting to see how far over they got.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:49 pm

I could imagine just some modest overslots might be an interesting tool to apply for college guys you like. I imagine a lot of college juniors kind of want to sign and start their pro careers Maybe guys though they would be 4th-7th round 2nd day picks and get $200-400K, and listed ≥$200K on their sign ability survey. But, if Day 2 finishes and nobody has picked you; maybe you figure you'll have to just take the $100 and go forward.

But, since you listed ≥$200K on your survey, maybe teams still make sure they call and confirm you'll really sign for $100K before using a pick on you.

So, what if the Cubs call a bunch of these guys, and say "we can't go ≥$200K on you, but we can scrape up enough to make $135. Will you sign if we draft you and offer that? If so, make sure you tell any other teams who call you that you've got an overslot deal arranged, so you aren't going to sign for $100K, so they shouldn't draft you if $100K is all they're willing to pay." Maybe must by boosting from $100K to $135-150K, the Cubs can drive off a lot of competition and get a whole string of modest-overslot college pitchers they kinda like on Day 3?
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:51 pm

16th round pick from Old Dominion is a catcher-to-pitcher convert, supposedly strong arm. A lot of catchers have good arms, so who knows.
0 x

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:08 am

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/06/17/haverford-colleges-stephen-ridings-ready-for-life-in-the-pros/#.V2QbNY3AgEg.twitter

6'6" RHP and 8th round pick Stephen Ridings gave an interview. He confirms that the Cubs called just before they picked him and made a contract offer. He said he accepted the offer, so whatever the number, it's agreed to. We'll find out soon. He also said he'd likely go to Mesa and then Fall Instructs. The Cubs like to give their recently drafted pitchers some rest and very light in game work.

All of that is pretty well known. What was revealing to me is that he said he was hitting 96 and had topped out at 98. He also said later in the season that velo dropped a bit, but he'd learned to "pitch" well enough to get hitters out. Apparently, he was sitting more around 92 later on.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Thomas Hatch will be pitching for Oklahoma State against UCSB on ESPN2 in the College World Series in about 15 minutes.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Hatch with a complete game shutout but he threw 112 pitches in some really hot weather. (This is why the draft should be after the college baseball season.)
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:35 pm

0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:37 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

very decent indeed.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:34 am

AZ Phil, wrote that Michael Cruz has reported to Mesa.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:32 pm

craig wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

very decent indeed.

McLoed knows what he's doing
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:33 pm

i don't know a single name of anyone we drafted this year but i saw this on my feed and figured you nerds would like to read it

0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:43 pm

David wrote:i don't know a single name of anyone we drafted this year but i saw this on my feed and figured you nerds would like to read it

(Pretty rich coming from a robot.)
2 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”