2017 Draft Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Regular Show
Starter

Re: 2017 Draft Thread

Postby Regular Show » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:20 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:I would gladly take Schmidt in the 2nd round. Wouldn't risk 27 or 30, though.

Two-way player Brendan McKay, who is a likely top 5 pick, hit 4 HRs today for Louisville. Sounds like more teams prefer him as a pitcher.

Man I can't recall a college player who hit this well and teams still decided to select them as a pitcher. Insane. Well, you'll always have a really good fallback plan if he doesn't work out as a pitcher.

Totally agree on taking Schmidt in the 2nd round too. I wonder if he would fall that far or still be willing to sign for that amount. Maybe we'd have to offer more than slot value?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 am

Honestly, I doubt he'd make it to pick 67. There will be teams saving a bit of money off there 1st round slots, that'll be willing to grab him in the 2nd. Probably a team in the 37-50 range, as the slot values seemingly allow for teams to slightly under slot in the 1st.

I'd be shocked if Schmidt doesn't still get 1.5-2 mill. If he was expected to be top 15ish, he'd have gotten 3+ prior to the injury. His figure may drop a bit, but teams would certainly be willing to take that chance, in my opinion.

IF he'd take 1.5ish, I'd be willing to gamble at 30 on him and give pick 67 an additional 5-600k to play with. Might be a way for us to land 3 top 40ish talents, instead of just 2.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:22 am

davell wrote:Honestly, I doubt he'd make it to pick 67. There will be teams saving a bit of money off there 1st round slots, that'll be willing to grab him in the 2nd. Probably a team in the 37-50 range, as the slot values seemingly allow for teams to slightly under slot in the 1st.

I'd be shocked if Schmidt doesn't still get 1.5-2 mill. If he was expected to be top 15ish, he'd have gotten 3+ prior to the injury. His figure may drop a bit, but teams would certainly be willing to take that chance, in my opinion.

IF he'd take 1.5ish, I'd be willing to gamble at 30 on him and give pick 67 an additional 5-600k to play with. Might be a way for us to land 3 top 40ish talents, instead of just 2.

We have a very similar example of a player who didn't get that 7-figure bonus and ended up returning to college just last year. Schmidt's teammate Wil Crowe was pegged to go in the same area last year, had TJS around the same time and tumbled to day 3. Crowe didn't get enough bonus money, returned for his RS junior year and his stock has rebounded to around pre-injury levels.. Obviously each player's level of interest in turning pro is different but Schmidt (like Crowe) isn't an Tommy John-ed potential top 10 pick like Hoffman/Fedde/Giolito/Cease/Quantrill so teams might be more hesitant to pony up.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:Honestly, I doubt he'd make it to pick 67. There will be teams saving a bit of money off there 1st round slots, that'll be willing to grab him in the 2nd. Probably a team in the 37-50 range, as the slot values seemingly allow for teams to slightly under slot in the 1st.

We have a very similar example of a player who didn't get that 7-figure bonus and ended up returning to college just last year. Schmidt's teammate Wil Crowe was pegged to go in the same area last year, had TJS around the same time and tumbled to day 3. Crowe didn't get enough bonus money, returned for his RS junior year and his stock has rebounded to around pre-injury levels.. Obviously each player's level of interest in turning pro is different but Schmidt (like Crowe) isn't an Tommy John-ed potential top 10 pick like Hoffman/Fedde/Giolito/Cease/Quantrill so teams might be more hesitant to pony up.

Any idea on what Crow was asking last year? I don't have any memory of it. Obviously, I'm speculating on Schmidt too. Just kind of like any opportunity that could potentially net us 3 top 40ish guys.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:07 am

Oregon LHP David Peterson, who has been mocked in the area of the Cubs' picks at 27 and 30, struck out 20 today in a complete game shutout.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... trikes-20/
1 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:12 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Oregon LHP David Peterson, who has been mocked in the area of the Cubs' picks at 27 and 30, struck out 20 today in a complete game shutout.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... trikes-20/

Wow. Very, very impressive performance. Wish he didn't throw 123 pitches though...
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:15 am

He's probably moving up draft boards now. I doubt he'll be there when the Cubs get to select someone. Hopefully some good college pitchers will be available at #27.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 pm

BA top 200. At some point soon, we'll start hearing about bonus demands and probably get a feel for who we're looking at in the early rounds.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed May 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Pearson seems like a great guy to take a chance on early. Especially if we took pitching at both 27 and 30. Hiura would be such a great get, if he fell that far, I just don't see it happening.

Pearson, Schmidt, and an extra 5-600K to use on pick 67 seems like my favorite realistic scenario right now.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 10, 2017 4:19 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/2080ball/status/862327084991098880

Pearson seems like a great guy to take a chance on early. Especially if we took pitching at both 27 and 30. Hiura would be such a great get, if he fell that far, I just don't see it happening.

Pearson, Schmidt, and an extra 5-600K to use on pick 67 seems like my favorite realistic scenario right now.

Yeah, I really want Hiura to fall to the Cubs. Maybe the threat of TJS will do it. Pearson seems intriguing. Also, interested in David Peterson, Brendon Little and Wil Crowe.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed May 10, 2017 4:34 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
davell wrote:https://twitter.com/2080ball/status/862327084991098880

Yeah, I really want Hiura to fall to the Cubs. Maybe the threat of TJS will do it. Pearson seems intriguing. Also, interested in David Peterson, Brendon Little and Wil Crowe.

I wonder if that one huge game took Peterson out of reach? I like all of those guys too.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Yikes:

0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Yikes:

Wow I was just getting bummed out he had no chance to slide to us at 27 and then this happens.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 am

Tryptamine wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Yikes:

Wow I was just getting bummed out he had no chance to slide to us at 27 and then this happens.

I'm sure they're digging in a bunch on him, but I'd be very surprised if we don't pass(unless he makes it all the way to our 2nd round pick.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 12, 2017 1:47 am

Anyone have Insider that can tell us who Law had the Cubs taking at 27 and 30, in his first mock today?
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:55 am

davell wrote:Anyone have Insider that can tell us who Law had the Cubs taking at 27 and 30, in his first mock today?

He only went to 27

Nick Allen, SS, Francis Parker (San Diego) High School

The biggest knock on Allen is his size -- he’s maybe 5-foot-8 and maxed out -- but he’s a true shortstop who has hit everywhere he has played, and scouts love his style of play. He might end up in the second round because of his height and teams’ reluctance to pin their draft class on someone so undersized.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri May 12, 2017 5:38 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:Anyone have Insider that can tell us who Law had the Cubs taking at 27 and 30, in his first mock today?

He only went to 27

The biggest knock on Allen is his size -- he’s maybe 5-foot-8 and maxed out -- but he’s a true shortstop who has hit everywhere he has played, and scouts love his style of play. He might end up in the second round because of his height and teams’ reluctance to pin their draft class on someone so undersized.

Hmm, I could obviously see us doubling down on position players, a tiny SS seems a bit different than I'd think though. Maybe he's a DJ Wilson type of little guy, with pop?
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm

davell wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

He only went to 27

Hmm, I could obviously see us doubling down on position players, a tiny SS seems a bit different than I'd think though. Maybe he's a DJ Wilson type of little guy, with pop?

Yeah, seems kinda like a meh and weird pick for us. FWIW Law has Allen ranked 27th overall in his rankings so maybe he just hasn't heard much on what we are doing/who we are really looking at so he got lazy and went with his overall ranked guy there.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Jim Callis released his second mock and he too had the Cubs going with Allen at 27. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/229743034 ... =151437456

27. Cubs: Nick Allen, SS, Parker HS (San Diego)

Chicago's braintrust drafted Dustin Pedroia in Boston 13 years ago, so it wouldn't be scared to pop another tiny infielder. In addition to his defensive prowess, Allen also has sneaky-good hitting skills.

30. Cubs: Tristen Lutz, OF, Martin HS (Arlington, Texas)

Lutz has some of the best right-handed power in the high school crop and may be ascending to the top of the second tier of prep outfielders. That group also includes Waters, Ramos, Quentin Holmes (New York), Conner Uselton (Oklahoma), Garrett Mitchell (California), Daniel Cabrera (Louisiana) and Jacob Pearson (Louisiana).

Hiura went 22, Peterson at 24 and Pearson at 28.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Chris Crawford's most recent mock: http://m.herosports.com/mlb/baseball-ml ... seley-c6c6

​27. Chicago Cubs Tanner Houck, RHP Missouri

The Cubs are very good at baseball, and don't have any pressing needs on the big-league club. Houck may end up being a reliever, but because of his fastball that can get up to 98 mph and his ability to locate his stuff for strikes (usually) he has a chance to pitch in a rotation.

Mock 1.0: Quentin Holmes, OF -- Monsignor McClancy HS (N.Y.)
Mock 2.0: Ricardo De La Torre, SS -- Puerto Rican Baseball Academy
Mock 3.0: Quentin Holmes, OF -- Monsignor McClancy HS (N.Y.)

30. Chicago Cubs Drew Waters, OF Etowah HS (Ga.)

Waters is an excellent athlete, and he might be a plus runner and plus defender in center. He also can hit a little bit, and both the hit and power tool have a chance to be average. if they get there, he's a future starter.

Mock 1.0: Ricky Tyler Thomas, LHP -- Fresno State
Mock 2.0: Calvin Mitchell, OF -- Rancho Bernardo HS (Calif.)
Mock 3.0: Mitchell

Little went at 10, Hiura 12, Crowe 17, Peterson 20, Pearson 28.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 12, 2017 8:10 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Little went at 10, Hiura 12, Crowe 17, Peterson 20, Pearson 28.

I know he's a dream scenario kind of pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went even higher than that. There's going to be a run on whatever good college bats are in this draft early on. He'd be a top 10 lock right now if he was at 2B, and still might/should end up there anyway.

----

Allen is a much better prospect than Wilson as an amateur, but yeah they share the small frame/speed/some power potential thing. It seems like Allen's one of those rhythm hitters with an innate ability to barrel the ball and work the gaps. He's lauded for his makeup and intensity.

I'm really into taking a bat prospect. Producing position player talent is the Cubs' bread and butter now. Plus they're going to need a starter or three out of the system by the end of the decade/start of the new one.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Reading BA's report on Allen, you can see why this Cubs regime would be interested in him.

26 Nick Allen SS Francis Parker School, San Diego
5/8 155 R/R Southern Cal
Allen is a mesmerizing prospect. He shows flashes with every tool. Allen has excellent range at shortstop to go along with plus body control and arm strength. He is a plus runner and flashes sneaky raw power in batting practice. However, Allen is 5-foot-8 and could be one of the smallest prospects ever taken in the first round. Allen’s height leads him to play with a chip on his shoulder and he receives positive reviews for his competitive nature and hustle. Allen has a high baseball IQ and shows natural instincts both as a defender and as a righthanded hitter. Allen has a compact swing with quick hands and he keeps the barrel of his bat through the hitting zone well. He makes a lot of contact and covers the plate well, and he showed the ability to barrel up line drives against good pitching on the showcase circuit. The San Diego native is committed to Southern California. His tools would fit closer to the top of the draft, but pro teams have concerns about how his smaller body will hold up over the course of a full season. Even with those concerns, Allen is likely to be selected on the first day of the draft.

Combination of Schwarber's chip on the shoulder, Almora/Bryant's IQ/instincts and Almora's ability to barrel line drives (at least in HS).
2 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat May 13, 2017 6:00 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Reading BA's report on Allen, you can see why this Cubs regime would be interested in him.

5/8 155 R/R Southern Cal
Allen is a mesmerizing prospect. He shows flashes with every tool. Allen has excellent range at shortstop to go along with plus body control and arm strength. He is a plus runner and flashes sneaky raw power in batting practice. However, Allen is 5-foot-8 and could be one of the smallest prospects ever taken in the first round. Allen’s height leads him to play with a chip on his shoulder and he receives positive reviews for his competitive nature and hustle. Allen has a high baseball IQ and shows natural instincts both as a defender and as a righthanded hitter. Allen has a compact swing with quick hands and he keeps the barrel of his bat through the hitting zone well. He makes a lot of contact and covers the plate well, and he showed the ability to barrel up line drives against good pitching on the showcase circuit. The San Diego native is committed to Southern California. His tools would fit closer to the top of the draft, but pro teams have concerns about how his smaller body will hold up over the course of a full season. Even with those concerns, Allen is likely to be selected on the first day of the draft.

Combination of Schwarber's chip on the shoulder, Almora/Bryant's IQ/instincts and Almora's ability to barrel line drives (at least in HS).

Thanks for sharing. I guess I'm coming around on Nick Allen. It still feels underwhelming if we did decide to select him with one of our top two picks. I mean how many true impact players are there at that size or shorter? J. Altuve and D. Pedroia...I'm sure there are many others, but it's not a deep list. This whole draft class feels underwhelming so maybe he is worthy of being taken that high I guess. I'd rather go after H. Ramos or M. Vientos, if those two are still available at pick #27.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sun May 14, 2017 1:19 am

Regular Show wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Reading BA's report on Allen, you can see why this Cubs regime would be interested in him.

5/8 155 R/R Southern Cal

Thanks for sharing. I guess I'm coming around on Nick Allen. It still feels underwhelming if we did decide to select him with one of our top two picks. I mean how many true impact players are there at that size or shorter? J. Altuve and D. Pedroia...I'm sure there are many others, but it's not a deep list. This whole draft class feels underwhelming so maybe he is worthy of being taken that high I guess. I'd rather go after H. Ramos or M. Vientos, if those two are still available at pick #27.

This is so so weird...you get that, right?
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sun May 14, 2017 9:48 am

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

This is so so weird...you get that, right?

Why? J. Altuve is 5'6" and Pedroia is 5'8" I believe. Great players, especially for how short they are. I mention those two players because the vast majority of position players at that height (or shorter) do not make it to the big leagues or fail to develop into impact players. It's just really hard to hit for power when you're that size. I seriously doubt N. Allen is the next Altuve or Pedroia...
0 x

Return to “Amateur Baseball”