Is Szczur Gone & 40-Man Roster Discussion

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Is Szczur Gone & 40-Man Roster Discussion

Postby CubsWin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:16 am

It comes down to Szczur or La Stella for the final bench spot. I like Matt for the speed he can bring as a PR, increasinly solid bat, defense and his all-around great guyness, but I just can't see the Cubs keeping him due to the depth the have in the OF. Schwarber, Heyward, Jay, Almora, Zobrist and Bryant provide 6 capable OFers for 3 positions (with Szczur that would be 7 and that's overkill), while without La Stella, the Cubs would have 5 infielders for 4 positions.

Is Szczur being released or traded a foregone conclusion? If so, given the lack of leverage the Cubs have with him, can they get anything in a trade for him? He's known quantity and is looking good this spring.

If he's simply released, that would open up a 40-man roster spot. It seems increasingly likely that Caleb Smith will either be returned to the Yankees or a minor trade will be made to keep him. (Szczur for Smith?) If he's sent back, that would open up another spot.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs add a veteran defense-first catcher to the 40-man so they don't have to bring up Caratini in case of an injury. Corporan and Ali Solis are in-house options but are either above average defensively?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Is Szczur Gone & 40-Man Roster Discussion

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:18 am

I hope not, I know people who know him.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 am

I would guess that Szczur probably loses out and gets DFA'd, with Almora on the roster he's pretty redundant, and his specific skills(bench RH bat, CF defender) are duplicated by others outside Almora. Happ's showing this spring also illustrates he has competition coming behind him. Also I can't imagine that too many teams are going to scramble to find room on their 25 man roster for Szczur at the start of the season, he's already basically at his ceiling and it's a 4th/5th OF, so the risk isn't that significant.

As far as 3rd catcher goes, I'm not familiar with Corporan as a defender, but statistically he's a shade below average at throwing runners out, and he's consistently been an above average framer. That seems fine for a AAA replacement, especially since the team seems to think Schwarber might catch at least a handful of games too.
0 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 am

I think that IF Szczur goes, we'll get SOMETHING for him. Either a low level arm with some semblance of upside(Erling Moreno type in a different system) or an up and down reliever(Felix Pena type).

He's a pretty decent player. I think he'd be a lock on most MLB teams 25 man, so I do think there'd be a decent amount of interest in him.

That being said, my guess is we'll find a mysterious injury to DL him or someone else actually needs a DL stint. Realistically, I just doubt its going to be THAT hard juggling our position guys. Especially if we don't keep Caleb Smith.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:51 am

Yeah even though I'm not a fan of La Stella, Szczur is far more replaceable/redundant so he's likely the odd man out. Hopefully nobody claims him and we keep him but if gets DFA'd and someone claims him, oh well. La Stella could be in a similar spot next year if Happ (specifically) and Jeimer continue to improve and aren't traded, they will/could likely push La Stella off the roster as the last man on the bench/back up infielder.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Heyward Fan
Hall of Fame

Postby Heyward Fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:54 pm

What are the chances Andreoli passes Szczur on the depth chart?
0 x
The original Aramis Fan. Responsible for the revelation of Hector Rondon.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Tony Campana brought Erick Leal+. Just sayin'.
1 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Heyward Fan wrote:What are the chances Andreoli passes Szczur on the depth chart?

About the same as you staying rational in the game threads.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:23 pm

davell wrote:I think that IF Szczur goes, we'll get SOMETHING for him. Either a low level arm with some semblance of upside(Erling Moreno type in a different system) or an up and down reliever(Felix Pena type).

He's a pretty decent player. I think he'd be a lock on most MLB teams 25 man, so I do think there'd be a decent amount of interest in him.

That being said, my guess is we'll find a mysterious injury to DL him or someone else actually needs a DL stint. Realistically, I just doubt its going to be THAT hard juggling our position guys. Especially if we don't keep Caleb Smith.

I'm guessing that with the changes to the DL rule this year that we'll make liberal use of it to juggle guys and keep them around.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Heyward Fan
Hall of Fame

Postby Heyward Fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 pm

davell wrote:
Heyward Fan wrote:What are the chances Andreoli passes Szczur on the depth chart?

Well, thanks for taking the high road.
0 x
The original Aramis Fan. Responsible for the revelation of Hector Rondon.

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 pm

It'd be a lot easier for me if Szczur were the infielder and LaStella the outfielder. Not that I don't like Seal Boy. He seems like a decent guy. And he's a nice hitter. But the whole quitting thing, combined with Szczur being so selfless, with his bone marrow and underwear alike... it's not a difficult decision based on likability.
1 x

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Heyward Fan wrote:
davell wrote:

Dude, you make fun of yourself in the game threads, knowing you say irrational stuff. Its expected. The shock of you not doing that is no different than Andreoli taking Szczur's spot, in my mind.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:40 am

davell wrote:
Heyward Fan wrote:
davell wrote:

Dude, you make fun of yourself in the game threads, knowing you say irrational stuff. Its expected. The shock of you not doing that is no different than Andreoli taking Szczur's spot, in my mind.

Actually I think its pretty likely Andreoli takes Szczur's spot.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 am

Bull wrote:
davell wrote:
Heyward Fan wrote:

if szczur doesn't make the team (prob won't), it'll be for lastella
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 am

Bull wrote:
davell wrote:
Heyward Fan wrote:

I don't think its going to be hard to keep Szczur hidden, if we have to. And even though Andreoli did hit in the WBC, he's likely just a AAAA guy. He's not on the 40 man for a reason most likely. Even as a 25th guy, I doubt our FO wants to risk a downgrade.

OTOH, I guess its possible a team "could" look at Andreoli as a modest trade option and values his non rostering and the extra control. If anything, maybe he's the one they move, IMO.(not much of a return obviously)
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 am

David wrote:
Bull wrote:
davell wrote:

if szczur doesn't make the team (prob won't), it'll be for lastella

Yep. and Andreoli gets put on the 40 man and kept in AAA only to see real ML playing time if someone rips their leg off.

Basically Szczur's spot.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 am

I really like Sxczur (and it also feels like he's been in the organization forever) but without options and guys like Rademacher and Andreoli in Iowa, it makes sense that he'd be a goner.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower

We Got The Whole 9
Starter

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 am

Cubs Den just had this debate recently and the jist was that Andreoli really can't play CF and with the glut of corner OF we already have, he's probably never gonna get that opportunity with us. We exposed him to the R5 twice and nobody claimed him even though he looks like a serviceable backup. With teams going with more pitchers in today's game, the 5th OF is being phased out. Add the fact that hes a RH and hes got a couple big strikes against him. This is why Hannemann was protected over both he and Rademacher.

I like Andreoli and Rademacher and I'll be intrigued to watch their careers develop. Just not sure it will happen with the Cubs.
Last edited by We Got The Whole 9 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:22 am

Andreoli is cannon fodder, it's Zagunis who takes up Szczur's mantle as a RH reserve OF
1 x

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:25 am

Andreoli will probably never see the 25-man, but inability to play CF doesn't strike me as a huge disadvantage for anyone looking for a role as the Cubs 5th outfielder. Almora, Jay, Heyward, and even KB can play there if needed. The 5th outfielder can just be a corner OF capable of putting together quality PAs.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Andreoli is cannon fodder, it's Zagunis who takes up Szczur's mantle as a RH reserve OF

Why put Zagunis on the 40 man before you have to?
You have 4 quality outfielders on the major league team and a Javy Baez that can push 2 more there. The 5th outfielder, Iowa shuttle guy is supposed to be someone who gets no playing time, admittedly more like last year's Kawasaki than Szczur. Unless someone loses a leg again.
0 x

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Bull wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Andreoli is cannon fodder, it's Zagunis who takes up Szczur's mantle as a RH reserve OF

You have 4 quality outfielders on the major league team and a Javy Baez that can push 2 more there. The 5th outfielder, Iowa shuttle guy is supposed to be someone who gets no playing time, admittedly more like last year's Kawasaki than Szczur. Unless someone loses a leg again.

Zagunis is just a guy, why wait? It's not like he's Ian Happ and the Cubs care about starting his option clock.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Something like this is always a possibility, but I think we'd find teams willing to give us more of a Campania type package for him.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Bull wrote:

You don't have to unless the need arises, because Szczur doesn't really belong on the 25 man. The 40 man roster isn't much of an obstacle anyway, if Szczur isn't around there's an open spot, and Andreoli's presence on the 40 man itself proves that it's not stuffed to the gills with quality that you can't easily find space for someone.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”