Christian Yelich

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Christian Yelich

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:40 am

I’d very much like to add him to play CF/fill the lead off role that we didn’t have this year. Would Happ and some minor leaguers be enough if we took back Volquez’s or Chen’s contract since they are looking to minimize payroll? I’d do both Almora and Happ if that’s what it took and take back a contract and then sign like Maybin to be the RHH OF
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Christian Yelich

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:11 am

Yes, Happ + prospects for Yelich and Volquez is my current fantasy that will inevitably be shattered by reality. I think it would be pretty closely tied to something like Otani picking the Cubs though, because it's almost certainly lower priority than SP and RP, and using trade assets of that caliber and taking on 20 million is only something you can do if you're more confident in what you have on both of those fronts.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 am

A top of the lineup of Yelich, Bryant, Rizzo and Contreras would be so amazing.
0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 am

The one way I could see the Cubs snagging Yelich is by taking on Wei-Yin Chen + some cash for the next 3 years. Yelich is on an amazing contract through 2022, but Chen is owed $52m over the next 3 years ($10m, $20m, $22m). The Marlins would still have to kick in some cash in 2019 and 2020 ($10m/year). He is also facing possible Tommy John surgery, which is another issue.

It's not ideal but makes it more possible.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 am

I'd love to get Yelich, but I'd think that they'll get rid of Stanton, Ozuna, attach a Volquez with Ozuna, and get to 90 or whatever......Yelich has SUCH a team friendly deal that I'd guess they figure they'll be competing towards the end of it.

Love the ideas though, if its possible, I'd be all-in.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 am

Yelich or Ozuna would be pretty great.
In any case, I'm pretty optimistic about what this team will look like next season. I'm confident Theo et al. will make some positive moves.
1 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:28 am

Id take it and eat most of Chen's contract to get it done. But thats a baaaaaad contract we're taking, so at that point its Happ or Almora pretty much straight up or Id just go sign Cain.

Does Miami have anything of value in the bullpen that we could pluck while we're at it? They have a guy named Bear Claw who has an awesome name, I like that and it puts us one Be a Genie away from having a super punny bullpen. Id rather build a super dominant bullpen, do they have anything that can help with that?
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am

Much as I've been talking about Yelich, I don't really expect them to move him UNLESS it's a sweet deal. I mean, Yelich himself is the type of deal that should be able to net a couple key building blocks for them, with his production, youth, and friendly contract. Chen's contract might be enough to convince them, but it sure feels as if the easiest path is clearing Stanton and spare pieces, and I gotta think someone will pony up for Stanton.

Still, Chen's contract is worth a thought, and depending on the level of tear down they initiate, it may be close to enough. It's 3 years left at a lot of money, but even if we had into free agency, we're likely looking at 3 years for someone who will come with a modicum of risk. At the end of the day, it'll come down to his medicals.

To be quite honest, I would, in some respects, view the top of the lineup with as much urgency as the starting pitching and pen.

I keep wondering if there's some sort of dream trade involved where we combine Heyward's contract with say someone to get some necessary assets. Unlikely, but I wonder. I hate the idea they floated on FS1 ... something like Heyward for Ellsbury or another bad contract. That'd be stupid.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Obviously, I'd love Yelich as anyone with any common sense would. 25, team friendly contract, extremely productive, I think he's pretty good defensively, fits a need in CF and at the top of the lineup. But I agree that they'll get rid of Stanton, Gordon and Osuna first and foremost. And they'll get enough talent from those deals to build a competent team around Yelich, if the new ownership isn't as stupid and bad as the last one.

I almost feel like we're overthinking this offseason. Obviously, some upgrades are needed in the pen. But I'd feel pretty good about essentially re-signing Arrieta, Jay and Davis and taking our chances with the same team as this year + a couple pen guys to replace Rondon, Grimm & Monty (to the rotation). Bank on improvement from Schwarber, Russell, and Almora. I'd think Zobrist won't be as bad either, though he probably won't be as good as 2016 again.

I will say, it seems to be a foregone conclusion....at least as much as free agency could be....that Lorenzo Cain will garner a lot of interest from the Cubs.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:50 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:A top of the lineup of Yelich, Bryant, Rizzo and Contreras would be so amazing.

it gets even better in 2019 when you add harper to the mix.
1 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm

bd811 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:A top of the lineup of Yelich, Bryant, Rizzo and Contreras would be so amazing.

it gets even better in 2019 when you add harper to the mix.

Don't forget fixed Schwarber or Heyward.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:33 pm

I have to imagine the Marlins offseason plan is tying Chen's contract in full to somebody else. Those 2 contracts become 3/81 + 2/29 for Yelich in 21/22. I'm not sure what else they want, but that certainly takes away a lot of the value of the contract.

Ed. Corrected year on Yelich.
Last edited by SouthSideRyan on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:20 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I have to imagine the Marlins offseason plan is tying Chen's contract in full to somebody else. Those 2 contracts become 3/81 + 2/29 for Yelich in 20/21. I'm not sure what else they want, but that certainly takes away a lot of the value of the contract.

I’d still do that without little question. I like Yelich that much and his fit on the team. Essentially paying Yelich 4/90 by taking on Chen’s contract is completely reasonable to me and should lower the acquisition cost in terms of players given up.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:24 pm

More trade offer ideas!

Almora, Zagunis, Clifton for Yelich, Chen, and Ramos, taking on all of Chen's contract. Too little?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:More trade offer ideas!

Almora, Zagunis, Clifton for Yelich, Chen, and Ramos, taking on all of Chen's contract. Too little?

I think that’s in the ballpark, if they really are that poor/desperate to lower payroll.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

I think that’s in the ballpark, if they really are that poor/desperate to lower payroll.

I like that framework. Ramos was traded to the Mets so we'd probably have to take Ziegler (interesting bounceback candidate on a one year deal) instead. We'd still be looking to add two starters since Chen's elbow is unreliable so most likely a trade of Schwarber or Happ follows right away.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:08 pm

As an aside, who negotiated Chen's contract? Three consecutive player options for 10, 20, and 22 million, what in the world?
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:As an aside, who negotiated Chen's contract? Three consecutive team options for 10, 20, and 22 million, what in the world?

Player options
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Yes, thank you. Team options would have been normal, but 3 straight player options and those amounts for Chen are just insane.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:36 pm

My hunch is that that is too little. I think they are set on moving Stanton, and will find a taker (Boston and some sort of Benintendi trade seems the most discussed option, although I still think Boston is better off going for a cheaper power option and leaving some future flexibility). If they can move Stanton, while they would have to still clear other salary, they wouldn't be in as desperate a position, and could focus on maximizing a Yelich return. After all, that's the stated goal of Jeter's tear down - to rebuild the system and build correctly, for lack of a better term. Much as I have said positive things about Zagunis/Clifton in the past, both look like fringe major leaguers (do wonder about Clifton in the pen as some sort of power arm). Almora has a role in the majors, but whether he's a first division starter is debatable. I think, even with Chen's contract, that they would want a bit more than that. But that's my guess. Yelich is such a prime asset that if he's out on the market, I bet a ton of teams would swoop in, even with the Chen albatross.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Yes, thank you. Team options would have been normal, but 3 straight player options and those amounts for Chen are just insane.

It was a backloaded contract. The AAV was roughly around what Shark got that year, and they were pretty much lumped together in the same tier of arms that offseason. Shark got a limited no-trade, Chen got the post-17 opt out and a 2021 vesting.

Chen

2016: $6M, 2017: $14M, 2018: $17.3M, 2019: $17.3M, 2020: $17.3M
2021 Vesting Option: $16M
If Chen doesn't opt out, his sixth year vesting option kicks in if he pitches 180 innings in year five.
Signing Bonus: $8M
Other Notes: Opt-Out clause after 2017

Shark

2016: $9M, 2017: $18M, 2018: $18M, 2019: $18M, 2020: $18M
Signing Bonus: $9M
No Trade: Limited
Can block 8 teams per year.
Other Notes: $3MM bonus immediately and then another $6MM in signing bonus money will be spread out over the last four years in equal $1.5MM installments.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 pm

They supposedly want to move Stanton, Gordon, and Prado. That takes them pretty close to where they want to be, payroll-wise.

Jeter and this group just came in. They're already starting off by trading away Stanton. They're not going to throw Yelich into a deal that would take his value down, on top of that.

I'm not even saying they won't trade him. But, they're not going to hurt his value by throwing him in with a contract as awful as Chen's.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Shoot, forgot Ramos got dealt. What's Barraclaugh worth to them?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Shoot, forgot Ramos got dealt. What's Barraclaugh worth to them?

They won't move him. He hasn't even reached Arb yet.

Even if the Cubs are willing to take on the Chen money to get Yelich I don't think they could beat other teams that are in a better position to take on the money and offer a better prospect on top of that (White Sox).
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:Even if the Cubs are willing to take on the Chen money to get Yelich I don't think they could beat other teams that are in a better position to take on the money and offer a better prospect on top of that (White Sox).

Pre-arb position players are plenty valuable relative to prospects. Different teams will have different incentives, and in the case of the Marlins they would definitely be interested in what can be presented as a here and now solution compared to a someday solution of prospects. If they're slashing 40 million off a modest payroll already, they're going to at least want to offer some fruits of that labor today, lest attendance somehow regress even further.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”