The Mock Off Season Thread

davell
Hall of Fame

The Mock Off Season Thread

Postby davell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:48 am

Might as well start this thing now. There's lots of options, lots of ways for us to go, this offseason.....

My guess is this is what we'll add....

Backup Catcher
Position Player that takes a roster spot of a guy we deal for pitching
2 Starting Pitchers(one thru trade)
2 Right Handed Relievers and 1 Lefty Reliever

I also feel we'll add 1 or 2(my true guess)Starting Pitchers that can start off in EXST or at AAA.

Obviously, my roster makeup will be different than others will be.

I think Theo is going to be extremely active and I'm not sure we'll even stay under the luxury tax, but I think the goal will be to try anyway. But, I think they'll definitely be over in 2019.

Here are our monetary commitments from Cots for 2018, then arb estimates from MLBTR for those guys....(rounded up)

RF Heyward 28.2
SP Lester 27.5
2B Zobrist 16.5
SP Quintana 8.9
1B Rizzo 7.3
RP Strop 5.9
Total 94.3

Arb Guys

3B Bryant 8.9
RP Rondon 6.2
SP Hendricks 4.9
CF Martin 4.9
RP Wilson 4.3
RP Grimm 2.4
SS Russell 2.3
2B Seal Boy 1.0
Total 34.9

I'm figuring Rondon, Martin, and Grimm are Non Tendered myself. That drops 13.5 from that figure.(21.4)

Total Payroll Figure 115.7 plus pre-arb contracts

Pre-Arb guys that all make 600-700k or so....

C Contreras
2B Baez
2B/OF Happ
LF Schwarber
RP Montgomery
RP Edwards

My roster before additions is.....

C Contreras
1B Rizzo
2B Baez La Stella
SS Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber Zobrist
CF Almora
RF Heyward Happ

SP Lester, Hendricks, Quintana
BP Montgomery, Strop, Edwards, Wilson

Others on the 40 Man

C Caratini, Davis
OF Hannemann, Zagunis
P Butler, Zastryzny, Maples, Farrell, Underwood, Mills, Tseng

Free Agents
C Avila, Rivera
OF Jay
SP Arrieta, Lackey
BP Duensing, Davis, Uehara

Everyone's obviously going to want Ohtani, so I'm not going to put him on my off season predictions. He makes things too easy. Of course I want him though. Just figure odds aren't great and there's a chance he's not even going to be posted anyway.....Using him in this makes it too easy.

Anyway, these are PREDICTIONS, not necessarily what I'd do.....

Free Agent Signings

Alex Cobb 4/48
Addison Reed 3/30(think he'll get more per year than MLBTR)
Pat Neshek 2/16(think he'll get more too)
Zach Duke 1/5
Rene Rivera 1/3
Jarrod Dyson 2/12
Tyson Ross 1/2 with incentives

Trades

Happ, Alzolay, Caratini, and Zagunis for Archer(6.3)and Boxberger(1.9)

Opening Day Roster

C Contreras, Rivera
1B Rizzo
2B Baez, La Stella
SS Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Almora, Dyson
RF Heyward, Zobrist

SP Lester, Quintana, Hendricks, Archer, Cobb
BP Reed, Neshek, Strop, Edwards, Montgomery, Boxberger, Duke, Wilson

Payroll at 173.4 heading into the year.....

I know we'll make more than one trade, but its all I've got on my first one. My guess is we'll make a small deal or two for more pitching depth.

Anyway, I don't think we'll go into the year with a true "closer", but we've got guys like Reed, Wilson(if he's fixed)and Boxberger that have some closing experience anyway.

Anyway, that's my first guess at how things look in February. What's yours look like?
4 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Re: The Mock Off Season Thread

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm not going nearly that in depth but I would really like to add Cobb (3 or 4 years at 15 per?) and Chatwood (2 year, 15-20 total?), in addition to keeping Davis and adding a pen reinforcement like Neshak and/or McGee.

I'd also like to keep Rene Rivera and Brian Duensing, if they're open to returning cheaply. Old friend Geovany Soto is available too if Rivera doesn't come back.

If we end up moving Almora for a pitcher, how do people feel about Carlos Gomez?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:40 pm

All seems pretty reasonable, except:

davell wrote:Happ, Alzolay, Caratini, and Zagunis for Archer(6.3)and Boxberger(1.9)

Unless, of course, you're talking about trading for Ed Archer, Chris' older, much less talented and successful brother.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:51 pm

In my mind they have 4 clearly defined needs to fill:

- Starting pitcher good enough to be in the playoff rotation
- Starting pitcher that should be better than Montgomery
- Closer/late innings reliever/Davis replacement
- Another quality reliever

They'll also add another outfielder and a backup catcher, but those are 1) less important roles and 2) won't carry a big financial cost

Given the money and trade assets they have at their disposal, I come away thinking they need to fill one of those without paying more than 12 million(SP) or 7-8 million(RP), and also do so without giving up any of the MLB trade assets. This is not terribly easy if Otani doesn't choose the Cubs, but if you can pull that off, then the money and MLB trade assets make the rest of the offseason pretty plug and play.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:37 pm

JeffH wrote:All seems pretty reasonable, except:

davell wrote:Happ, Alzolay, Caratini, and Zagunis for Archer(6.3)and Boxberger(1.9)

Unless, of course, you're talking about trading for Ed Archer, Chris' older, much less talented and successful brother.

I used Archer, thinking of Alzolay being a top 100 guy. I saw one of the MLBTR guys say Russell and Schwarber was "light" on Archer. I surely hope the horsefeathers not lol.

At any rate, if that package can't get him, I still believe Happ is the lead piece in whatever deal we make.

Same package for Manaea and Hendriks? That's a step down, maybe its more in line though?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:52 pm

I keep coming back to our deal for Quintana, when it comes to Archer. I don't see those two far from each other in value. If you compare packages, I think its easy to say Cease and Alzolay are valued around the same. If anything, Cease with his past surgery and being lower down on the food chain.....Could even make Alzolay slightly more valuable. Yes, Eloy is a better prospect than Happ. But, Happ is already showing success in the majors and can play multiple positions, including 2B and CF, while Eloy is a corner OF. Again, Eloy is the better option, but I don't think they're ridiculously far off either at this exact point. The 3rd and 4th pieces in the Quintana deal were non prospects, guys like Caratini and Zagunis are at least major league caliber guys. Not a big deal, but they're something.

Anyway, that's my reasoning on the Archer deal, fwiw.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:04 pm

I don't have a fundamental issue with the idea that people might feel like Addison Russell and Kyle Schwarber is not enough for Chris Archer. I tend to think that should be close, but ... in this homer happy environment ... it's not hard to envision Schwarber's value being even lower than we might think for some teams. With Russell, it's not hard to envision someone wondering if all that offensive potential will ever develop, and wondering if the defensive decline is something for them to be concerned about, at least until they get medical reports. Archer would be far and away the top arm on the market, on a friendly deal. Now, personally, I would think, on some sort of perceived value notion, that we should be in the mix, depending on what Tampa wants, but Archer's going to net a monster return if they move him, and I can see enough of an argument as to why that wouldn't be enough. (I actually didn't see this Russell/Schwarber comment in their chats, I skimmed through it and saw a comment saying that someone thought Tampa could do better than Russell/Caratini). What Tampa wants is a big factor, because Wily Adames is ready.

I see what you are thinking on the Archer trade, but it really comes down to this - do people view Happ's production as a sign that he can consistently produce at that level, or more, or do they still view him more as a prospect who got a long cup of tea? If it's the latter, and I can envision enough people feeling that way, Happ's flaws in his game still has to be somewhat troubling, and Eloy was viewed as one of the premier prospects in baseball. I would also argue that Cease's value might be a bit higher than Adbert's value now. I would put Adbert's value closer to Luis Castillo's last year (a breakout youngster with promise, but still a bit raw), which resulted in Luis Castillo leading a package to net Dan Straily. I also think, fair or not, that the perception of Archer has been better than Quintana.

I just wonder if we're somewhat under-rating what the trade market on top starters is going to cost. There's some depth in this FA SP market, as there almost always is, but the top level, IMO, is thin. My hunch is that Archer, if he's traded, goes to either the Nationals (they almost always try to go big, but this offseason, they almost have to go big ... that said, I have a hard time seeing them part with Victor Robles, which I think the Rays will draw a line on ... of course, they could go big by going after Wade Davis and building a nasty pen, while adding a mid-tier starter) or Dodgers (I think the WS showed they needed another impact starter, and Archer might be the only guy they could justify giving up Walker Buehler in a package for).

All that said, I really am not sold Archer gets moved this winter. The rotation is ugly after Archer, with Cobb likely gone. Snell hasn't progressed that much yet, Odorizzi is who he is, a decent end of the rotation arm that I suspect they'll try to move this winter. Honeywell will probably slot into a spot, but they'll need innings and production, so barring a monster trade for Archer, I think they hold onto him and revisit it mid-season.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Yeah I’m not trading Russell and Schwarber for Archer
1 x
Screw Pitchers

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Yeah I’m not trading Russell and Schwarber for Archer

good lord, no. and what is with this idea that Russell needs to prove his defense? he led the NL in DRS in a shortened season.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:43 pm

It's easy to make a million and one mocks, so it's a lazy Friday, so I'll throw in an outline.

Rather than doing the Shark trade, or talking about Archer, I'll throw out something different for the fun of it:

SP - Hendricks/Quintana/Lester/?/?

I expect the last two question marks to be filled with one trade and maybe one FA signing. I also expect the Cubs to strike early, rather than wait.

So, to throw out a name that hasn't been talked about as much:

Cubs get: SP Patrick Corbin, ? (for fun, let's put Jimmie Sherfy here)

Diamondbacks get: OF Ian Happ, C Victor Caratini

With Robbie Ray having a breakout year, and former Cubs farmhand Zack Godley turning into a solid starter, Patrick Corbin is a nice, but necessarily needed, asset as he was several years ago. Factoring in that they may try to sign Ray down longterm, but may need to definitely a bat, and some financial constraints, Corbin, likely due for 8 mil or so in arbitration, might be moved considering he's close to FA. Now, I can envision the crows coming already, saying Happ is too much ... and I'm just not sold that pitching costs in the trade market are going to be as moderated as some think. Caratini gives them either a backup or a 3rd catcher on the 40 man. They might not want to give up Sherfy, but if the argument is that Happ's years of control deserves a bit more, a secondary piece like Sherfy, a strike-throwing power arm, might be something they part with. Happ could slide into JD Martinez's spot if they don't feel like paying the monster dollars, or he slides into a utility role.

Cubs sign: SP Alex Cobb, 4 years/56 million

If the above trade happened (since this is supposed to be a mock off-season), the Cubs probably still have the flexibility to make another good SP move, rather than just sign bargain bin guys. I've seen the estimates. I'm just not sure I buy it. If Cobb is closer to 12 mil, Cubs need to go in on it. He looked like he was close to back last year. Even if it's a bit more, like my above 4/56, the Cubs should still go in on it. I think a lot will depend on if they strike fast. Someone's going to end up cheaper than expected, as someone almost always drops.

Cubs still have Adbert Alzolay in the upper levels, along with Jen-ho Tseng.

Rotation: Quintana/Hendricks/Lester/Cobb/Corbin

BP - My thought is this - if a trade is possible for a late inning arm, they may go that route rather than paying the big bucks/years. I've grown somewhat enamored with this idea, but a lot of ways to go.

Cubs get: David Robertson, Jacoby Ellsbury, Cash to from 2018-2020 to cover Ellsbury's contract (let's just go with ... 13 million a year, putting Ellsbury, for those three years around 8 million)

Yankees get: Prospects of some sort (I'm too lazy to sort this out) (I don't expect it to be high level guys, lottery tickets perhaps ... if they want someone like Charcer Burks ... perhaps)

Yankees have a ton of money coming off the books this winter and a young core. That said, they almost have to pay Tanaka, and they probably will try for at least one, if not more, big ticket signing (not hard to envision a Japanese trio there of Tanaka/Darvish/Otani). They want to "reset" their payroll in advance of 2018, to be clearly below 197 million to avoid the taxes. I don't think the Yankees want to move Robertson (sounds like what I suspected will happen - they'll try to shop Betances), but if they can rid themselves of part of Ellsbury's contract? I think they might consider it. Robertson gives them a proven closer, Ellsbury gives them a 4th OF that they know and is an upgrade at the leadoff spot when he plays. Yankees get salary relief and flexibility.

At a rough glance, based on davell's numbers above, that should give some flexibility to do a tiny thing or two to fill out the roster.

Yeah, I can see the critiques. That Yankees trade could be bleh in regards to taking on Ellsbury while still having Heyward ... the potential Happ critique, which I noted above.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:58 pm

To be real clear ... I'm not suggesting

a) That the Cubs should trade Schwarber/Russell for Archer.

b) That the value of Schwarber/Russell is not enough for Archer.

What I am specifically saying is that (and I also didn't see a Russell/Schwarber comment in the chats)t

a) I think it's not hard to envision people poking holes in the value of Russell/Schwarber, enough to downgrade them.

b) I'm not sure, with Wily Adames likely up, that the Rays will necessarily be that hard after Russell, unless they just absolutely love him.

c) I'm not sure the Rays will deal Archer (barring the usual caveat of if it's a trade that can't be passed up, it usually won't be passed up).

d) (Didn't really spell this out above) I'm not sure they do a deal unless it's an elite prospect or a top level pitching prospect, like Walker Buehler or Victor Robles

e) That I think the value of Eloy/Cease mid-season trumps that of Happ/Alzolay, and that, fair or not, I think Archer is viewed in better regards than Quintana.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2017 ... ant-dates/

There's an interesting note in here, that's worth a mention. In response to guys receiving a QO.....

We'd be giving up our 2nd pick, in order to sign a guy. I'm perfectly fine giving that up, if its for something good. But, if Alex Cobb receives a QO? Is it REALLY worth giving him 4/48 or whatever he'll get, over getting Chatwood for much less, without the draft pick loss?

By the way, our 2nd pick should be coming after the FIRST round. It looks likevweve got a great shot at getting TWO comp picks after the 1st Round. All that needs to happen is for Jake and Wade to each sign for over 50 mill. If not, we receive picks after the 2nd for them.

At any rate, that's potentially an extra 3.5 mill added to our draft budget. With the system needing to be revamped, that's a very sizable amount of extra money to potentially have.

Figure its something that COULD play into signing Cobb. If we can make a trade early in the off season and are just looking for a 5th guy.....I think they'd look into other options than Cobb, at that point. 1) Because of the QO and its effects and 2) If we add a longterm pitcher, it gives us 4 guys with 3 years left or more already. I doubt they'd actually want to carry 5 guys with that type of commitment. Could see them valuing some flexibility.

While rambling, here's another thing.....I got myself all hyped up about Jarrod Dyson, due to his defense and base running. But, I'm not so sure we don't already have that guy, in Leonys Martin.

Could we keep him at the 4.9 he's projected in arb? Or try to sign him for slightly less? He's damn good in the OF and on the bases. His bats not good, but its likely not AS bad as it was in 2017 either.

He's younger than Dyson by a few years and won't cost as much either. I'm starting to think he's not such a bad option. If Happ gets dealt, you'd have Schwarber/Almora/Heyward out there, with Martin and Zobrist as the backups basically. He kind of fits, with that alignment, as a guy that's a defensive replacement/pinch runner, that's probably going to find himself starting 50 games or so, from days off, match ups, injury or whatever.

I get where having something MUCH better in that spot would be great, but I can see how he's a decent fit to stick around.
0 x

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:26 pm

davell wrote:By the way, our 2nd pick should be coming after the FIRST round. It looks likevweve got a great shot at getting TWO comp picks after the 1st Round. All that needs to happen is for Jake and Wade to each sign for over 50 mill. If not, we receive picks after the 2nd for them.

Davell, I'm not sure the article is 100% correct. I believe it left out the part about the larger market teams (ie Cubs) being revenue sharing "payees". I think that the Cubs get 2nd round picks after Competitive Balance round B, if Davis and Arrieta sign $50MM+ contracts.... revenue sharing "receivers" ie small market teams, would get a pick at the end of the 1st round for losing a $50MM+ contract player

From the MLB website on details of the new CBA

D. A Former Club of a Free Agent subject to draft pick compensation will receive the following:
•A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee Club shall receive a selection immediately following the first round of the draft if the player signs a contract with a total guarantee of $50 million or more.
•A CBT Payor Club shall receive a draft selection immediately following the fourth round of the next Rule 4 Draft.
•All other Former Clubs shall receive a selection immediately following the Competitive Balance Round B of the next Rule 4 Draft (which follows the second round).
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Damnit, that's what I thought. I was hoping this latest article was just correct and this hadn't been fully resolved. What is a "non-market, disqualified, revenue sharing payee? Who falls into that category?

At any rate, I guess we'd still receive close to 1.5-2 mill extra with the picks. That could still help influence going after a QO'd Cobb, as could his contract term length, if we've traded for a starter.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 pm

I'll give it a try.... This isn’t my ideal/preferred route (I’d like to keep at least 1 of Jake/Wade and just spend money to fill the pitching and keep all the position guys but that doesn’t seem like that’s possible/what they want) but I think this in line with what they’ve said and is my guess and what I think they will do (not necessarily what I want) I’d be mostly fine with it but just don’t love it.

Let's start with the assumption no Otani

FA signings:

Alex Cobb 3/55
Michael Pineda 2/24 with a 3rd year team option for about $12-15 mil (pay for the rehab/chance he comes back next year)
Eduardo Nunez 2/17
Juan Nicasio 3/18
Jake McGee 2/14
Pat Neshek 2/10
Rene Rivera 1/5.5 with an option
1-2 of Wily Peralta, Bucholz, Gee, Garza, Anibal Sanchez type on minor league/ST invite deals

Trade:

Happ, Caritini, Zas/Tseng and minor leaguers (throw in Grimm or Rondon since I think we don't bring either back if they want a bullpen reclamation) for Mike Foltynewicz, Inciarte and one of their mid-low level minor league SP (Patrick Weigel looks interesting, but prospect guys you tell me)

25 Man Opening Day Roster:

Position Players:

C Contreras
1B Rizzo
2B Javy
SS Russell
3B KB
LF Schwarber
CF Inciarte
RF Heyward

Bench: Zobrist, Nunez, Rivera, Almora

Pitchers:

Starters:

Lester
Hendricks
Q
Cobb
Folty

Bullpen:
Carl
Nicasio
McGee
Neshek
Strop
Maples
Wilson
Monty
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:24 pm

I'll do one. This is one take at a "all out" offseason. I don't know if we'll go in that direction, but it is much more fun to contemplate.

I think we need two starting pitchers and two relievers. I'd try to get three relievers.

If the rumors are true that signing Darvish makes Otani much more likely, that tips the scale for me. Darvish is a heck of a pitcher, anyway. I'd be happy signing him even without that additional enticement.

The next starter is going to need to be a bit more price controlled to make the budget work. So...what does it take to get Chris Archer? I'll use a guess of Happ, Alzolay, Albertos, Caratini.

That gets the rotation set as Archer, Quintana, Darvish, Lester, Hendricks. The rest of baseball can just suck it. I'd still try really hard to get Otani. Since he'd have options, I'd play the DL games the Dodgers got away with this year. Monty serves as the swing starter with a healthy Mills as #7 and Tseng as #8.

Now...how to assemble a super pen. I'm going to guess that Rondon and Grimm get non-tendered. I'm also going to guess that Wilson is the same guy he was the past few years in Detroit. So the pen starts off with Wilson, Strop, Carl's Jr, Monty. Ideally, we get three additional relievers we can count on.

I see Neshek as a guy that takes a one year deal with an option and I see that being really attractive to the front office. He's also a strike thrower that provides a unique look.

I really think they'll go after McGee. When he was with Hickey in TB, he was a monster. I think they make that reunion happen.

I think they'll avoid the top of the reliever market (Davis & Holland) and go with Reed. All three of these guys throw strikes and get whiffs.

That sets the pen up as Reed, McGee, Strop, Wilson, Carl, Neshek, Monty. When they want to run with eight guys, we've got some quality knocking on the door with Maples, Carasiti and others.

For the offense, re-sign Rivera. I really like signing Nunez if he can be fit into the budget. That gives a pretty robust OF rotation and extra IF depth so we never, ever have to see Mike Freeman again.

Contreras, Rizzo, Baez, Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Almora, Heyward
Rivera, Zobrist, La Stella, Nunez
Archer, Quintana, Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, (Otani)
Reed, McGee, Strop, Wilson, Carl, Neshek, Monty, (Maples/Carasiti/etc)
1 x
Spoiler: show

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:48 pm

I haven't been able to come up with an offseason I really like yet, but this is as close as I've gotten:

Sign:
- Darvish
- Cobb
- One of Nicasio, Shaw, or Reed
- Austin Jackson
- Rivera

Trade:

Happ+ for Hand and Jankowski

I wouldn't be above adding a 3rd reliever like Tim, but unless you can do something like Caratini or Zagunis for Liam Hendriks, I'm skeptical enough of being able to pull off all 3 FA pitchers as is so I wouldn't think signing *another* is all that likely.

Jackson takes Jay's role, Jankowski is optionable and also is a defensive replacement/pinch runner if he happens to be on the MLB roster at any given point.

Darvish/Q/Hendricks/Lester/Cobb is very, very good, albeit at a heavy financial cost which isn't great. Also not great is adding two 30+ contracts to the rotation.

Hand/Edwards/Strop/FA/Wilson/Montgomery/Grimm/Maples(or other Iowa shuttle) is also very, very good.

Rivera/Zobrist/La Stella/Jackson/Jankowski lacks future starpower like benches of yore, but such is the cost of that pitching staff.

Financially that team is roughly 10 mil under the luxury tax this year, and can probably swing Harper next year without reaching 40 over the luxury tax.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:20 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I haven't been able to come up with an offseason I really like yet, but this is as close as I've gotten:

Sign:
- Darvish
- Cobb
- One of Nicasio, Shaw, or Reed
- Austin Jackson
- Rivera

Trade:

Happ+ for Hand and Jankowski

I wouldn't be above adding a 3rd reliever like Tim, but unless you can do something like Caratini or Zagunis for Liam Hendriks, I'm skeptical enough of being able to pull off all 3 FA pitchers as is so I wouldn't think signing *another* is all that likely.

Jackson takes Jay's role, Jankowski is optionable and also is a defensive replacement/pinch runner if he happens to be on the MLB roster at any given point.

Darvish/Q/Hendricks/Lester/Cobb is very, very good, albeit at a heavy financial cost which isn't great. Also not great is adding two 30+ contracts to the rotation.

Hand/Edwards/Strop/FA/Wilson/Montgomery/Grimm/Maples(or other Iowa shuttle) is also very, very good.

Rivera/Zobrist/La Stella/Jackson/Jankowski lacks future starpower like benches of yore, but such is the cost of that pitching staff.

Financially that team is roughly 10 mil under the luxury tax this year, and can probably swing Harper next year without reaching 40 over the luxury tax.

I overall like this but agree that my shot at it as well was more of a kinda what I see happens with a dash of what I want than this is what I want/best case.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 pm

Here's my "Theo is horsefeathering pissed" off season

Sign

Darvish 5-135(27.5)
Morrow 2-20(10)
Neshek 2-14(7)
C Rivera 1-3(3)
SS Cozart 3-39(13)
Gregerson 1-5
Chavez 1-2

Trades

Addison Russell for Garrit Cole

4 years of Addy for 2 of Cole in a challenge trade. We sign Cozart, to replenish. Pirates take 4years of upside at a position of need, while giving up on Cole, who they figure has given them his best years. Lines up slightly better for their next time frame. Cubs get a pitcher they hope still has front of the rotation ability.

Mike Montgomery, Victor Caratini, and Aramis Ademan for Zach Britton

Cubs get their big time closer again for a year. In the process, the O's fill a rotation slot with Monty, get themselves a capable bench bat in Caratini, and add a very nice MI prospect as well.

C Contreras-0.7, Rivera-3
1B Rizzo-7.3
2B Baez-0.7, La Stella-1
SS Cozart-13
3B Bryant-8.9
LF Schwarber-0.7 Zobrist-16.5
CF Almora-0.7 Happ-0.7
RF Heyward-28.2

Position Players 81.4M

SP Lester-27.5, Darvish-27.5, Quintana-8.9, Cole-7.5, Hendricks-4.9

Starters 76.3M

BP- Britton-12.2 Morrow-10, Neshek-7, Gregerson-5, Strop-5.9, Edwards-0.7, Wilson-4.3, Chavez-2

Pen-47.1M

Total-204.8M

Yeah, you're over the LT. But, Britton is off the books after the season, as is Gregerson, Chavez, Strop, Wilson, and Rivera. So, even with arb raises, you can stay away from the 40 over penalty box, and have a bit of room to do things, and grab Harper.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:01 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I wouldn't be above adding a 3rd reliever like Tim

That pizza grease means he throws a nasty slider.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, but the wine means his command leaves a bit to be desired.
2 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Signing Cozart and trading a SS for a SP that otherwise would cost more dollars than Cozart is a very interesting idea.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 pm

My Theo FU Offseason would be something like

Sign Darvish
Re-sign Wade
Sign Nicasio
sign McGee
Sign Eduardo Nunez
Trade Russell/Javy (prefer Javy), Heyward, Alzolay, Caritini, Zas/Tseng and another minor leaguer or 2 for Stroman, Tulo and Martin
Trade Happ, Ademan, Zagunis for Yelich and Stanton (they throw in ~20-40 mil after his option years)

Position players

C Contreras
1B Rizzo
2B Javy/Tulo
SS Russell/Javy/Tulo
3B KB
LF Schwarbs
CF Yelich
RF Stanton

Bench: Zobrist, Nunez, Almora, Martin

Rotation

Lester
Darvish
Stroman
Q
Hendricks

Bullpen
Wade
Carl
McGee
Nicasio
Strop
Wilson
Maples
Monty
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Signing Cozart and trading a SS for a SP that otherwise would cost more dollars than Cozart is a very interesting idea.

Neil Walker works too obviously, if you trade Javy or move him to SS.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, but the wine means his command leaves a bit to be desired.

Better snatch him up before the Cardinals do.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Transactions”