Cubs Offseason Rumors

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Cubs Offseason Rumors

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 pm

Didn’t see a thread appropriate for this so created one for all smaller type of rumors

0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: Cubs Offseason Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm

I’d rather just spend money on RP’s than trade for and pay the price it would take to get Britton. Unless somehow like a Happ for Britton and Gausmen or Bundy deal was possible but guessing they’d want more.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 am

Britton makes perfect sense for us. He's on a one year deal and falls off the books in time for the 2018 class. Pair him with Morrow and you've got your 2018 closer groomed and ready to take over.

The package didn't seem that bad, when Houston almost dealt for him last year. Collin Moran was the lead piece, not even a consensus top 100 guy. And now, he's got less control too.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 am

davell wrote:Britton makes perfect sense for us. He's on a one year deal and falls off the books in time for the 2018 class. Pair him with Morrow and you've got your 2018 closer groomed and ready to take over.

The package didn't seem that bad, when Houston almost dealt for him last year. Collin Moran was the lead piece, not even a consensus top 100 guy. And now, he's got less control too.

I guess I forgot he got hurt/wasn’t as good last year. I wonder if like Caritini and Zas would be enough if Moran was all it was going to take?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I’d rather just spend money on RP’s than trade for and pay the price it would take to get Britton. Unless somehow like a Happ for Britton and Gausmen or Bundy deal was possible but guessing they’d want more.

This. Getting really tired of giving up prospects for pen arms; if you're going to trade do it for a SP or a Yelich type.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
davell wrote:Britton makes perfect sense for us. He's on a one year deal and falls off the books in time for the 2018 class. Pair him with Morrow and you've got your 2018 closer groomed and ready to take over.

I guess I forgot he got hurt/wasn’t as good last year. I wonder if like Caritini and Zas would be enough if Moran was all it was going to take?

With as pitching desperate as Baltimore is, Adzolay would almost definitely be gone
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

They don't need Caratini, unless they're moving him off C. But, I could see him and Hatch, with an upside type 3rd piece. Maybe Assad.

At any rate, even if it took Alzolay, I'd be completely fine with it.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 am

I'm not sure how I feel about Britton in particular, but, if you're going to trade prospects for a free agent to be, the offseason is the time to do it so you can offer a QO and collect the draft choice to partially offset the acquisition cost.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 am

Britton to go with Morrow and McGee is plan A for me as far as the bullpen. There are multiple Britton alternatives - Iglesias and Osuna come to mind.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 am

i thought we soured on morrow after the dodgers gave him the rented mule treatment
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 am

0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Britton to go with Morrow and McGee is plan A for me as far as the bullpen. There are multiple Britton alternatives - Iglesias and Osuna come to mind.

If you get Britton, I think I'd be off McGee. You'd have Wilson and Monty as lefties, with Britton too. Grab Morrow and another Righty at that stage. Unless we have reverse split guys, which I don't remember.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 am

David wrote:i thought we soured on morrow after the dodgers gave him the rented mule treatment

I did. But, he wasn't throwing tons of pitches, if I remember. Plus, he's still gotta pass a physical, my guess is we'd leave no stone unturned on it.

I'm figuring he's the best potential closer, on the market. Years and stuff too, he just seems a better option than Reed.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 am

davell wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Britton to go with Morrow and McGee is plan A for me as far as the bullpen. There are multiple Britton alternatives - Iglesias and Osuna come to mind.

If you get Britton, I think I'd be off McGee. You'd have Wilson and Monty as lefties, with Britton too. Grab Morrow and another Righty at that stage. Unless we have reverse split guys, which I don't remember.

I could live with that. Middle relief is something this FA class has.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 am

davell wrote:
David wrote:i thought we soured on morrow after the dodgers gave him the rented mule treatment

I did. But, he wasn't throwing tons of pitches, if I remember. Plus, he's still gotta pass a physical, my guess is we'd leave no stone unturned on it.

I'm figuring he's the best potential closer, on the market. Years and stuff too, he just seems a better option than Reed.

I like Nicasio better than Morrow by a decent bit.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 am

rawaction wrote:
davell wrote:

I like Nicasio better than Morrow by a decent bit.

I like Morrow's stuff more than Nicasio. But, the main reason I like Morrow, cis that I think it'll be POSSIBLE to get him on a two year deal. His health still scares me, if he gets 3 years, my interest level drops some. But again, his stuff is just nasty. I'd love to grab Britton and have Morrow for the 8th for a year, before giving him the closers job.

In the end, if we don't trade for a reliever......I want two guys from this group.

Morrow, Shaw, Reed, Cishek, Neshek, McGee, Minor, and Nicasio.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I’d rather just spend money on RP’s than trade for and pay the price it would take to get Britton. Unless somehow like a Happ for Britton and Gausmen or Bundy deal was possible but guessing they’d want more.

i could swear matt spiegel fishes this board for ideas

i know this could easily be a coincidence but it's not the first time i've heard him come up with ideas on their show that we have kicked around here that haven't been all over cubs twitter and whatnot.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

David wrote:

i know this could easily be a coincidence but it's not the first time i've heard him come up with ideas on their show that we have kicked around here that haven't been all over cubs twitter and whatnot.

I was just listening to this segment, he was cool with a Russell and Happ or Almora trade for Britton and Gausmen and then hope to sign Machado for SS next year. What the hell?!?

And it would make sense I guess if he’s fishing here for ideas to pander off as his own. He’s not gonna get checked by a twitter guy or whatever for “stealing ideas” most likely and it can be “original” and generally speaking most of our ideas are semi reasonable/realistic.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:

I was just listening to this segment, he was cool with a Russell and Happ or Almora trade for Britton and Gausmen and then hope to sign Machado for SS next year. What the hell?!?

And it would make sense I guess if he’s fishing here for ideas to pander off as his own. He’s not gonna get checked by a twitter guy or whatever for “stealing ideas” most likely and it can be “original” and generally speaking most of our ideas are semi reasonable/realistic.

now they have a guest on to talk about pete carmichael as a bears HC candidate...he mentioned carmichael yesterday. sulley mentioning carmichael yesterday was the first time i'd seen him talked about as a candidate (i could have completely missed that he's been talked about a lot before or something, to be fair).
0 x

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:

Oh man those suckers would have egg on their faces after getting fleeced in a Russell/Happ for Gausman/Britton trade.

What an idiot.
4 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 pm

In a straight up trade scenario, why would the Cubs trade a cost controlled player from the roster (Happ) for Britton? Britton is arb eligible in 2018 and a FA in 2019.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:35 pm

d_money wrote:In a straight up trade scenario, why would the Cubs trade a cost controlled player from the roster (Happ) for Britton? Britton is arb eligible in 2018 and a FA in 2019.

The same reason they traded one for Davis.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
d_money wrote:In a straight up trade scenario, why would the Cubs trade a cost controlled player from the roster (Happ) for Britton? Britton is arb eligible in 2018 and a FA in 2019.

Yea but Happ >>>>> Soler
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Yea but Happ >>>>> Soler

Happ this year is greater than Soler by a decent amount.

This year's Happ versus last year's Soler is a lot closer debate than some may think. I think this year's Happ is ahead, but it's not by that much to make a discussion about it moot.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Soler needed to completely mash, to just be a 2 WAR guy. Injuries and his defense had cut his value way down.

Happ has tons more value than he did, or does going forward.
1 x

Return to “Transactions”