Manny Machado Traded to the Dodgers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Manny Machado Traded to the Dodgers

Postby David » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Manny Machado gets his own thread
Last edited by David on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado (and he wants to go back to SS)

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm

well if the cubs are going to trade baez or russell to SD, i suppose i'd be cool with Machado as a replacement.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm

I get that it'd be inner-division, but the first one that came to mind was a package centered around Gleyber.

Given that Machado only has one year left, I can't see the Cubs getting involved. The money needed to lock him down after 2018 is already earmarked elsewhere.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:33 pm

squally1313 wrote:I get that it'd be inner-division, but the first one that came to mind was a package centered around Gleyber.

Given that Machado only has one year left, I can't see the Cubs getting involved. The money needed to lock him down after 2018 is already earmarked elsewhere.

#otherplans

but damn it would be fun for a year
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:37 pm

David wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I get that it'd be inner-division, but the first one that came to mind was a package centered around Gleyber.

#otherplans

but damn it would be fun for a year

If I squint hard enough, I can see a situation where the Orioles start 2018 with him, promptly fall out of contention, and Machado makes it clear he's going to explore free agency after 2018, therefore becoming a rental. But even then, the Cubs would probably have to be in a situation where at least one of Russell/Baez/Bryant was injured.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:41 pm

The Cardinals have to be after him now right?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm

I hope if he gets traded its to another potential Harper suitor.
1 x
Win it for Fred

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Just not the Cardinals.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:10 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Just not the Cardinals.

I'd love it if it's the Cardinals; trade off what few parts they have for a guy who the Yankees are going to be gunning for one season later? Yes please.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I'd love it if it's the Cardinals; trade off what few parts they have for a guy who the Yankees are going to be gunning for one season later? Yes please.

How can the Yankees afford Machado? Or do they just not give a damn about the luxury tax now?
0 x
Win it for Fred

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

How can the Yankees afford Machado? Or do they just not give a damn about the luxury tax now?

*Wonders question*

*Awaits TT's perfectly understandable response*
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm

I thought we've had a couple breakdowns now of how the Yankees could be able to afford Machado after next season.

Hell, almost EVERYONE will be gunning for him; dude's not staying in St. Louis if he goes there. It's the wastelands.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought we've had a couple breakdowns now of how the Yankees could be able to afford Machado after next season.

Hell, almost EVERYONE will be gunning for him; dude's not staying in St. Louis if he goes there. It's the wastelands.

Sorry I might have missed the discussions, my bad. Just seems inconceivable but I guess with pre-arb players making up a lot of their offensive WAR they can move some money around and afford him.
0 x
Win it for Fred

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Another Heyward situation? Yeah, that would work.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:51 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought we've had a couple breakdowns now of how the Yankees could be able to afford Machado after next season.

Sorry I might have missed the discussions, my bad. Just seems inconceivable but I guess with pre-arb players making up a lot of their offensive WAR they can move some money around and afford him.

The Yankees and Dodgers are trying to get under the tax, but just for this year. The Tax gets harsher each consecutive year ar you cross it, so most of the big market teams are trying to get under this year and 'reset' their penalties, knowing that starting in 2019 it will be quite a while before they can get back under again.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm still not convinced the Orioles are definitely going down this road. I mean ... they listened on Zach Britton and took it to the wire... and then it fell apart.

Furthermore, they are supposedly going for two quality cost-controlled young starters to start the deal. It's not an unreasonable ask ... I mean, Machado is good. The problem is, Machado's in his last year, and I don't see any team forking that over unless Machado agrees to an extension. I don't see Machado agreeing to anything that isn't a monster offer, and even then ... he might just want to test the market anyways. I mean, the Phillies aren't parting with Sixto Sanchez and say, Franklyn Kilome for a half-season rental. No way, no how.

Leaving aside the monetary side, their search for pitching makes the Cubs a debatable fit as a trade partner.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 pm

weis21 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

*Wonders question*

*Awaits TT's perfectly understandable response*

After the Headley deal, it's pretty likely the Yankees stay under the luxury tax this year, so the Yankees getting Machado next year is very similar to the plan for the Cubs and Harper. They'll unequivocally go over, but probably not into the 40 million penalty and they'll only be penalized as first timers since they reset the clock.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Speaking of the Yankees, they're likely to dump Robertson and I think we should be interested. He's been the 4th most valuable reliever since 2011 according to fg. Great 1 year rental.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 pm

I've advocated for Robertson as an option, but I don't think the Cubs want to band-aid the pen each year. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to shop Robertson with say, Jacoby Ellsbury (while eating half the deal). That would get them under enough that they could, if they wanted to, make a big splash at Alex Cobb (if he isn't signed by us yet), or to go after Darvish or Arrieta, while still being under for next year.

I'm still a bit surprised that they gave away Bryan Mitchell just to get rid of Headley's deal. I mean, they were going to have to get rid of something, but Mitchell surprised me a bit.
0 x

Neuby
All-Star

Postby Neuby » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:22 pm

The chance to lure Manny to Wrigley long term all summer long and hang out with his "brother" Almora is too mouth watering to pass up.
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 pm

I don't see a fit for us here at all. There's probably going to be a considerable cost to acquire him, he's a lock to test free agency after this year, and he doesn't play a position of need.

I actually kind of hope the Cardinals take a run at him.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:35 pm

The more Cubs-specific news is that if Machado is available, then their relievers almost certainly are too. Britton, Brach, and possibly Givens are all fits.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Makes sense, a lot of it could be we don't want to be wasting time dealing with a stupid horsefeathers front office that doesn't know what they are doing. Also, "future plans."

0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:16 pm

i think it's primarily that we have an entire infield locked up for years and machado will cost a lot and will leave
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Bertz wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

The Yankees and Dodgers are trying to get under the tax, but just for this year. The Tax gets harsher each consecutive year ar you cross it, so most of the big market teams are trying to get under this year and 'reset' their penalties, knowing that starting in 2019 it will be quite a while before they can get back under again.

The Dodgers aren't trying to get under the tax this year. They're just staying under 237 this year, according to a Friedman quote this last week or so.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Return to “Transactions”