Re: Yusei Kikuchi and Other Top MLB Prospects in Asia

Postby Neuby » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm

I want Bae but he's not on the list.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Neuby wrote:I want Bae but he's not on the list.

Washington DC is not in Asia.
5 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

maybe not, but one of our former managers thought she was doing to DC when she was sent to visit our Spokane office. true story.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 am

Choi must be like Smith in Korea
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am

We can't enjoy the Darvish signing for even 48 hours before you're chasing the next guy? Sheesh
0 x

Neuby
All-Star

Postby Neuby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:19 am

Korea is in Asia. I googled it.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/brav ... 7PTdZPgWP/
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 am

After not signing Ohtani every other prospect from Asia feels disappointing right now. I know that's not fair and there are some good players over there, but it really sucks not getting him. I really thought we were getting him after we made it past the first cut.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 am

Neuby wrote:

Korea is in Asia. I googled it.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/brav ... 7PTdZPgWP/

He's referring to Bryce Harper.

To actually answer your question, these are players who would make a jump straight to the majors. Bae is currently a minor leaguer at rookie ball level.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Yusei Kikuchi
And I say, "Kikachi" :D
4 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Let's call the whole thing off
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 pm

we've officially hit a new low. or high, I can never tell
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Regular Show wrote:After not signing Ohtani every other prospect from Asia feels disappointing right now. I know that's not fair and there are some good players over there, but it really sucks not getting him. I really thought we were getting him after we made it past the first cut.

The sting pretty much wore off for me when the info about his pre-injured elbow came out. Obviously, it wasn't going to cost anything so it would've been a great add, but meh.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:20 pm

David wrote:
Regular Show wrote:After not signing Ohtani every other prospect from Asia feels disappointing right now. I know that's not fair and there are some good players over there, but it really sucks not getting him. I really thought we were getting him after we made it past the first cut.

The sting pretty much wore off for me when the info about his pre-injured elbow came out. Obviously, it wasn't going to cost anything so it would've been a great add, but meh.

I don't know that he's an MLB quality hitter, so the elbow thing makes me happy the Cubs didn't sign him.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Seibu Lions left-hander Yusei Kikuchi has continued to express interest in a jump to Major League Baseball, with some in the industry feeling that the 26-year-old could land close to a $100MM deal from a North American team, The Athletic’s Dennis Lin writes (subscription required). Kikuchi has a 2.76 ERA, 8.0 K/9 and a 2.30 K/BB rate over 871 2/3 innings for Seibu (plus a brief stint in the Australian Baseball League in his rookie year). Since Kikuchi is older than 25, he is exempt from the international bonus pool system, and he should command a hefty contract from teams bidding for his services should Seibu decide to post him — Kikuchi isn’t eligible for complete free agency until 2020.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/ ... -cubs.html
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:22 pm

The Japan Times wrote:On Friday night at Tokyo Dome, the Seibu Lions and Yomiuri Giants each sent their ace to the mound, creating a marquee matchup of the Lions’ Yusei Kikuchi vs. the Kyojin‘s Tomoyuki Sugano.

Unsurprisingly, it drew some “major” attention.

Sitting among the 45,533 fans were scouts from the Diamondbacks, Indians, (San Francisco) Giants, Mariners, Phillies, Pirates, Red Sox, Tigers and other major league teams.

On Kikuchi:

Kikuchi, last season’s Sawamura Award runner-up behind Sugano, got the better of Friday’s matchup, tossing seven two-hit innings with three strikeouts, and three walks, in the win.

“He’s not the biggest guy, but he knows how to pitch,” said one of the MLB scouts. “He can establish the fastball and set up the secondary stuff and he throws all his pitches for strikes. He’s got a good feel for what he’s doing, just like Sugano does.”

“He’s a lefty first of all,” said Lions slugger Ernesto Mejia. “He’s got pretty good stuff. He’s got a good fastball, good slider and a good changeup. He likes to play, he likes to compete. He takes every single pitch seriously. I think his focus, and the really good stuff that he has, is a big key.”

“Kikuchi has got solid stuff and he’s left-handed, that’s always going to be attractive,” the scout said. “The guys who seem to have had success, have something that distinguishes them. Like (Diamondbacks pitcher Yoshihisa) Hirano has the split. Kikuchi, I’m not sure what it is right now. I like the total package, but I’m not sure what stands apart.”

On Sugano:

“I’ve seen him better than he was tonight,” the scout said. “He’s got four pitches for strikes. He’s got a good enough fastball to set-up his other stuff. He’s got a good feel where he can throw any pitch anytime. He wasn’t sharp tonight. He might have been tired. Maybe he’s been throwing a lot of pitches over the last couple months and tonight was one night where he was a little bit tired.

“I think a lot of people like him, that’s why there’s a good amount of scouts in town to see him.”

“He’s an ability guy, throws all his pitches for strikes,” the scout said. “I look for things that make me think he’s a no-brainer for success. There are a lot of things that say he’s going to be successful, but he doesn’t have the (Yu) Darvish or (Shohei) Ohtani presence maybe.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:24 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
The Japan Times wrote:On Friday night at Tokyo Dome, the Seibu Lions and Yomiuri Giants each sent their ace to the mound, creating a marquee matchup of the Lions’ Yusei Kikuchi vs. the Kyojin‘s Tomoyuki Sugano.

Unsurprisingly, it drew some “major” attention.

Sitting among the 45,533 fans were scouts from the Diamondbacks, Indians, (San Francisco) Giants, Mariners, Phillies, Pirates, Red Sox, Tigers and other major league teams.

On Kikuchi:

Kikuchi, last season’s Sawamura Award runner-up behind Sugano, got the better of Friday’s matchup, tossing seven two-hit innings with three strikeouts, and three walks, in the win.

“He’s not the biggest guy, but he knows how to pitch,” said one of the MLB scouts. “He can establish the fastball and set up the secondary stuff and he throws all his pitches for strikes. He’s got a good feel for what he’s doing, just like Sugano does.”

“He’s a lefty first of all,” said Lions slugger Ernesto Mejia. “He’s got pretty good stuff. He’s got a good fastball, good slider and a good changeup. He likes to play, he likes to compete. He takes every single pitch seriously. I think his focus, and the really good stuff that he has, is a big key.”

“Kikuchi has got solid stuff and he’s left-handed, that’s always going to be attractive,” the scout said. “The guys who seem to have had success, have something that distinguishes them. Like (Diamondbacks pitcher Yoshihisa) Hirano has the split. Kikuchi, I’m not sure what it is right now. I like the total package, but I’m not sure what stands apart.”

On Sugano:

“I’ve seen him better than he was tonight,” the scout said. “He’s got four pitches for strikes. He’s got a good enough fastball to set-up his other stuff. He’s got a good feel where he can throw any pitch anytime. He wasn’t sharp tonight. He might have been tired. Maybe he’s been throwing a lot of pitches over the last couple months and tonight was one night where he was a little bit tired.

“I think a lot of people like him, that’s why there’s a good amount of scouts in town to see him.”

“He’s an ability guy, throws all his pitches for strikes,” the scout said. “I look for things that make me think he’s a no-brainer for success. There are a lot of things that say he’s going to be successful,but he doesn’t have the (Yu) Darvish or (Shohei) Ohtani presence maybe.

Does this mean he'll actually be able to pitch for a whole season?
0 x

Return to “Transactions”